WORST RECORD STORE, EVAR!

12346»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it seems to me that some of you are calling a record shop "bad" because you cannot just walk in and find one of 300 odd holy grail type records for under 10 bucks.

I'M RIDING FOR RASPUTINS DUDE!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    it seems to me that some of you are calling a record shop "bad" because you cannot just walk in and find one of 300 odd holy grail type records for under 10 bucks.

haha! I like Rasputins. I go down to the Berekely one every couple months and it's quite easy to spend 75 or 100 bucks.

Forget it - everyone leave Rasputins alone... I'll shop at that bad store so you don't have to suffer.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

haha! I like Rasputins. I go down to the Berekely one every couple months and it's quite easy to spend 75 or 100 bucks.

Forget it - everyone leave Rasputins alone... I'll shop at that bad store so you don't have to suffer.

That's what I'm saying dude, I usually drop well north of $100 when I'm there. But of course I buy expensive records that are way overpriced and in shitty condition. No, no good records in Berkeley...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• it seems to me that some of you are calling a record shop "bad" because you cannot just walk in and find one of 300 odd holy grail type records for under 10 bucks.

I will officially withdraw my statements regarding the suckitude of Rasputins so that you guys can catch some rest after all the riding you've been doing for the last day. That plus I found some OK things in there last night so now I feel kinda follish.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Great thread. Imho, the worst store I've ever been to is the house of rare records in the village. 1) The store has no rare records. 2) Wings Across America: $60.

I think the definition of a bad store is a combination of shitty attitude of clerks/crappy selection/ holding stock for ebay/and overpricing common records.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    The award goes to GOLD MILLION RECORDS in Bryn Mawr, PA

It's right there on the main drag on Lancaster Ave. It must have just opened. It looks like they bought out all of the remaining terds from the now defunct Plastic Fantastic added some track lighting and some swanky rugs and plopped $15 price tags on dollar bin throw-aways. I seriously have no idea how this place makes any money. It's targeted at rich main line clientelle, but still.

Anyways, it gets my Worst Record Store Evar award for their snooty staff. There were boxes of records and some out in the open in front of the counter. Must have been new arrivals not ready to be priced, but some had price tags on them... I started filing through when this holier than thou trustafarian dude looked down upon me and said "There's nothing that concerns you down there." I called him an asshole and bounced... It was a lot worse than words can describe. You need to see this store for yourself (or while it's still open).

What record store do you give the WORST RECORD STORE, EVAR! award to?

I'm a little late to this thread but couldn't resist commenting on GOLD MILLION RECORDS.Maybe not the absolute worst store but definitley the most confounding.This place is just bizzare.It's the nicest store for sure,when you walk in you're expecting "high end". But like RAJ said the super pristine custom shelves are loaded with garbage.It is the same stock as Plastic Fantastic;same owner.Most of the price stickers are 20 years old. I think he's some wealthy trust fund baby,cause this dude is paying big bucks to keep that place open,yet has nothing to sell.He even sells those "instant collectibles" like the customized Kiss wine bottles,ugh.
    Now,the owner dude is by far the most condescending prick you will ever meet,just incredible.It's as if he goes out of his way to turn off any potential customers. And can someone tell me what his partner/co-worker is suppose to be??
    Is that a woman or a man?Pre-op or post op? I can't even look at that person.
    The funny thing is,the dude told me he has "over a million Lp's" in the basement and is gradually incorporating these records into his stock.I've heard this for years but have never seen anything beyond his overpriced dollar-bin commons.Maybe he has 900,000 copies of Meatloaf's-Bat out of Hell.

Co-sign on Record Collector in LA- THE worst I've personnally experienced.

Record Exchange is not the worst by any means but is really depressing lately.

AKA Records...hmmm...looking up The Knack and Donna Summer Lp's on ebay=

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The award goes to GOLD MILLION RECORDS in Bryn Mawr, PA

It's right there on the main drag on Lancaster Ave. It must have just opened. It looks like they bought out all of the remaining terds from the now defunct Plastic Fantastic added some track lighting and some swanky rugs and plopped $15 price tags on dollar bin throw-aways. I seriously have no idea how this place makes any money. It's targeted at rich main line clientelle, but still.

Anyways, it gets my Worst Record Store Evar award for their snooty staff. There were boxes of records and some out in the open in front of the counter. Must have been new arrivals not ready to be priced, but some had price tags on them... I started filing through when this holier than thou trustafarian dude looked down upon me and said "There's nothing that concerns you down there." I called him an asshole and bounced... It was a lot worse than words can describe. You need to see this store for yourself (or while it's still open).

What record store do you give the WORST RECORD STORE, EVAR! award to?

I'm a little late to this thread but couldn't resist commenting on GOLD MILLION RECORDS.Maybe not the absolute worst store but definitley the most confounding.This place is just bizzare.It's the nicest store for sure,when you walk in you're expecting "high end". But like RAJ said the super pristine custom shelves are loaded with garbage.It is the same stock as Plastic Fantastic;same owner.Most of the price stickers are 20 years old. I think he's some wealthy trust fund baby,cause this dude is paying big bucks to keep that place open,yet has nothing to sell.He even sells those "instant collectibles" like the customized Kiss wine bottles,ugh.
    Now,the owner dude is by far the most condescending prick you will ever meet,just incredible.It's as if he goes out of his way to turn off any potential customers. And can someone tell me what his partner/co-worker is suppose to be??
    Is that a woman or a man?Pre-op or post op? I can't even look at that person.
    The funny thing is,the dude told me he has "over a million Lp's" in the basement and is gradually incorporating these records into his stock.I've heard this for years but have never seen anything beyond his overpriced dollar-bin commons.Maybe he has 900,000 copies of Meatloaf's-Bat out of Hell.

Co-sign on Record Collector in LA- THE worst I've personnally experienced.

Record Exchange is not the worst by any means but is really depressing lately.

AKA Records...hmmm...looking up The Knack and Donna Summer Lp's on ebay=

Amen, brudda. I wasn't in there long enough to know it was that weird fuck from Plastic Fantastic. He was a total condescending prick. I have never in my life told a record store owner to fuck off. In hindsight, I had nothing but love for Plastic Fantastic. I could root around without being hassled... even pulled some sick shit out of there over the years and his prices were alright with me. Why did he close it? To open some snob shop??? I hope he loses his Brewsters Millions in the process.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    r---, i had nothing but bad experiences at plastic. all because of that prick in the indiana jones hat, his weird big partner and their nasy hairy dookey dog. remember how their jazz seciton was upstairs, right by the bathroom? theyd have a line of crates on the floor. EVERYTIME i would be looking through there (and i did catch some things) one of them would go take a kingkong shit in the bathroom and their stool smell would waft out of there like a noxious cloud. i have never forgiven them...it was like htey were doing iton purpose.
    he was a bitch ass punk with unpriced records. "no no, i cant let this leon huff record go easy. you know this is a fifty dollar piece?" didnt know that, jerkoff.
    despite catching things, thats my least favorite spot ever. the shawn bradley of record stores.

Classique B0mp.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    If you ever hit up Seattle for wax adventures, avoid these two places like the plague!

1)Bop Street- Ballard WA 

Supreme,Jake One etc can tell you horror stories about this notorious asshole's store. He likes to brag to everyone who comes in about such and such shitty new band that gave his store a thumbs up in the Village Voice or New Yorker I forget which. Actual maybe it was Radiohead? They're cool. The Store-NOT!
    I've known Dave Vorhees since I was a little kid, he went to school with my Dad. This coked out motherfucker would literally change his own sticker prices at the counter based on who was buying! If it was me or any of the other beatdiggers He would say, "Oh I didn't price this one it's a mistake so $15 becomes $25-30 you get the picture. I refuse to give this asshat my business anymore, but apparently he's jumped all over the "Crosley Hipster" market now. A friend told me he was selling a Heart "Dreamboat Annie" lp for $40! Lol  
    "One of the best record stores in the US!" Wall Street Journal haha NO!  OVERRATED..... 

2)Bargain Tapes and CD's-Everett WA

Another place that has perpetual "50% off going out of business" sale sign for the last 5 years!
    The owner's name is Gordy a former disciple of the famous Seattle Golden Oldies chain which in it's heyday had around 12 stores. Now down to one sad sack survivor go figure. lol
    Unlike Dave Vorhees he's actual a pretty nice guy, just thinks every record is worth more than it is. This place was a goldmine when it first opened. He had a back section that was all rare disco promos etc. I used to run into Japanese store guys all the time. He must of made a fortune off them.
    The problem with this damn store is 99% is not priced, and he won't price on the spot. He says leave your number and he'll get back to you lol
    HORRIBLE business model. I like him as a person, if you watch this video you can tell he's one of the good guys in the biz, just a bit delusional.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    djtopcat said:

1)Bop Street- Ballard WA 

Supreme,Jake One etc can tell you horror stories about this notorious asshole's store. 
    As can any of us who spent enough years digging in Seattle. I used to go in only because amidst all the nonsense, I had an occasional good find. That only happened a few times, though, and I got sick of his BS pretty quickly. I called him out on it... which didn't bother him, he just didn't care... gave the boilerplate line about selling to Japanese collectors, etc. That was over 20 years ago, haven't been back since (and haven't lived there for almost that long, either). Back then nothing had price tags. I'm pretty sure he just sized people up and then pulled a price out of his ass according to how much he though he could take them for.

Memory Lane Records in Horsham, PA

It's amazing that he gave this dude any access beyond the.... do you have a list?

Dude is a world class chode.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Ha!  That guy is a chode!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I have driven past that place a dozen times and never found it open. I just assumed it was all online sales.