Lupe Fiasco. Opinions?

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
Discuss.

Comments

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Was checking out his "a rhyming ape" mixtape yesterday..
    I was hoping shit was gonna be ill, huge disapointment though.
    I think dude got mad potential - which lupe-mixtapes do I need in my life?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I've only heard selected cuts here and there. He has some rediculous technical shit i heard but I can't remember the details, the name, or where I heard it. He was killing it though. Then last night I heard the Kick Push single and the B side on that is pretty good. He's definitely got potential. He's distributed on Atlantic and apparently Jay-Z is executive producer of his album? I also heard the sittin sideways remix he did from some other mixtape, that shit was pretty hot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who's he?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i want to hear what pharrell does with him (no ayo)

Who's he?

I know who he iz...............

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    thought he was horrible when i first heard him on "late registration".then i heard a freestyle he did over one of the gorillaz beats and he sounded like a whole nother rapper.with jay-z exec producing the beats at least have to be hot.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I'm really hoping for something special from the dude. I like his style and major label hip-hop needs a breath of fresh air on a lyrical stand point.

Dude was getting great press before he even had a release date set for Food & Liquor.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I'm really hoping for something special from the dude.

of course you are, ayo.

but hit me up this weekend if you're really looking for something special!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Chicago's own.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I haven't heard a whole lot from this guy, but everything I've heard does not even come close to living up to the hype surrounding him.

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I haven't heard a whole lot from this guy, but everything I've heard does not even come close to living up to the hype surrounding him.

-e

Nothing I've heard redeems the wackness of the basic premise of rapping about skateboarding.

• I just opened this up in the mail a few minutes ago. Seems to hold up. Not totally sold on the beat. Produced by soundtrakk.

Radio
    http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?
    id=37XN1BQOV85ZJ15FM4CBDDKRB2

Acapella
    http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0X9HN8P3ISHN42ONMDTU3XCSRP

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i've tried to like him, but he just bores me. i dont know.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    His rapping sounds too much like Kanye. I couldn't even tell them apart for the first times I heard "Touch the Sky".

BATMON - my bad. I don't think I understood your "smiley". and I stilll don't knwo what the fucks up with "chirp".

emynd - I didn't even knwo there was a lot of hype on this guy. I was actually surprised how little i'd heard of him with jay-z exec producing his shit.

faux - I'm not entirely in favor of the skateboarding song either, but everybody's big single's gotta have a gimmick (so it seems). the bside of that single is 10x better. though to each his own, of course.

So your obviously anticipating this cat.

I wont sleep on him but I'm not holding my breath.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I'm liking the kick,push track...

• Thought he was terribly when I first heard him and never planned to give him a second chance, but then a friend sat me down and made me listen to Revenge Of The Nerds (Pt. 2 I think). First couple songs did nothing for me, but he had some killers on there too. It's weird, he can be really on or really off. Sometimes he doesn't rhyme and comes off sounding like an amateur other times he's on point and exhibits enough charisma to make you think he's a pro.

He needs to come more consistent because if the shine Kanye gave him by letting him rap on his single was the only chance he had, he'd be done.

Check out Revenge Of The Nerds (again, Pt. 2 I think) and I think most would, at the least, anticipate hearing more from him.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Nothing I've heard redeems the wackness of the basic premise of rapping about skateboarding.

Ahhh, why does this not surprise me?

I'm feeling it.

I used to skate, too.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    dude is all up on the streetwear HYPEBEASTIN scene, always talking about sb x supreme x goodenough x _____ x ______ x _______ x _______. yawn....

well you get the picture.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    dude is all up on the streetwear HYPEBEASTIN scene, always talking about sb x supreme x goodenough x _____ x ______ x _______ x _______. yawn....

actually... I have absolutely no idea what this means!!!

So your obviously anticipating this cat.

but you know what, i really wasn't. my homeboy kept talking about him and i heard a couple songs and thought they were nothing special. then i heard some other songs that definitely opened me up more. now i'm anticipating it because i wonder how much of his album is gonna be equal to the shit that already impressed me. definitely a chance i could be let down. we'll see i guess.

• I'm liking the kick,push track...

yeah I liked it. it reminded me of a cool little indie joint from a few years ago, but at the same time not the joint I was expecting for one of the most anticpated rap dudes of "2006".

FILE UNDER

Good album cut

Meaningful only to readers of Complex magazine... basically people that pay large sums of money for plastic figurines designed by graffiti has-beens or who camp out in front of Alife Rivington Club waiting for it to open.

Meaningful only to readers of Complex magazine... basically people that pay large sums of money for plastic figurines designed by graffiti has-beens or who camp out in front of Alife Rivington Club waiting for it to open.

...or to people posting in this thread and expressing anything other than disgust.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

...or to people posting in this thread and expressing anything other than disgust.

Damn. I had to close that thread quick. It was hurting my eyes and my sense of style.

I still don't get it.

Lupe seems cool. I like the kick push song but even as someone who loves skating almost as much as hip-hop, hearing about it as a rap topic makes me kind of embarrassed for both sides. I do like the song, but I like big fat booty shaking bass. I hope Lupe Got Bass.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

But how do you feel about his love for anime?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Kick Push video. Chicago dudes will recognize many of the spotz here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7Ueb9RTGJJ0