Asian Film Recommendations

Comments

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts

I???ve really been focusing on Europe recently. Hungary is really impressing me. A LOT???

Sorry for the hijack, but please try to see "Death Rode out of Persia" Putyi Horv??th (2005), if you haven't already. It's one of the nicest films I've seen in some months.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    This one is a must for Thailand:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Looks like some great stuff posted.

Thx Kaushik. I've been meaning to find Rang De Basanti since I saw a clip for it.

MoSS,

You are the dude. I can always count on ur flix pix.

I hear what ur sayin' on Nine Tailed Fox. I was just wondering if the production got any better after the first eps. It seemed like something I could get into, if not for some of the cheezy set ups & some of the filming techniques. I was just going to dl some more eps and give it a go, but maybe I won't now. I'd love to get that "30" shit off you!!! Thx for the movies list... I've seen about half of them already. I even saw The World at the theater HA... Ur right about it being slow.. And I didn't like the fucking end. But whatever... It had it's moments.

Have you seen Always (Japan) yet? Or a copy out? Thats on my lookout list right now.

thx for letting me know about my mail box. I'll cut some stuff... And fire you off an email.

Haz, you need to come down one weekend and we'll go see something for Kung Fu Fridays... A few months back I took my gurl to go see The Kid With The Golden Arm. Had a great night. My man Colin Geddes has been always holding it down.

Cahoots,

Off the top of my head (MoSS would be much better at letting you know)... Cause I don't really know whats been popular... I would guess shit like Kung Fu Hustle, Election, Fearless, House of Fury, The Myth, The Promise, Seven Swords, SPL, Dragon Squad, etc...

Note: Some of these aren't what one might say are "great" or even any good, but just some of the ones off the top of my head that were popular around here. Grab fearless 4sure (Though I don't know if a "good" subbed copy is out yet around here) and grab Divergence (Cause I did enjoy it).

Thx guys for the posts. I'll be sure to look out for some of this stuff. Anyone else???

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I just finished watching 3 Extremes, and my god was that a big fat crap-fest. Fruit Chan's was well shot, but gross and utterly pointless. Chan-wook Park's also looked very nice, but that ending was awful. I thought it was great up until then. I couldn't even finish Miike's. He's like the Japanese David Lynch, I mean like, soooo weird, dude!

I really liked J.S.A. by Chan-wook Park, though. It's a little sappy at times, but fun. Johnny To's Breaking News was also pretty good. I'm still working on trying to get that SPL flick that everyone's talking about.

Also, I downloaded a divx rip of "Takeshis'" and I really want to watch it, but I can't find a working English .sub file. If anyone can help I'd be very appreciative.

A friend of mine said the same thing. I was told not to waste my time...

Something I am really looking forward to seeing is ELECTION 2.

The first one was alright. Not the greatest, but still enjoyable in my book. But this review for 2 has made me wanna see it!

http://www.kaijushakedown.com/2006/04/election_2_revi.html

• darendaren 28 Posts
    Ming-liang Tsai's "The Wayward Cloud" recently came out. It's fucking great. If you aren't familiar with his style, he uses suppper long shots, ambient sound, and little dialog. The Wayward Cloud gets big ups from me since it also cuts away from the seriousness with some comedic musicals. But really, this film is quite brutal.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

I just saw Tsui Hark's "The Blade" & that was AMAZING.

Has anyone here seen 2046?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah enjoyed it a lot. Was pretty obvious that a long time had been spent editing/reediting and shooting/reshooting but considering it was more of a mood piece than a structured storyline I don't think that damaged it too much. All about the images and sound anyway.

Think Wong Kar Wai should have gone all out and removed all dialogue from the film.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ming-liang Tsai's "The Wayward Cloud" recently came out. It's fucking great. If you aren't familiar with his style, he uses suppper long shots, ambient sound, and little dialog. The Wayward Cloud gets big ups from me since it also cuts away from the seriousness with some comedic musicals. But really, this film is quite brutal.

this film is highly recommended by so many people and somehow i can't get past the first watermelon shot!

i guess i just have not been in the right frame of mind yet....? i must try again!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i love this one:

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    everyone's prolly seen this, but for some reason, this shit has me cracking up 5yrs later.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Personally I think The Blade was very very poor, especially when its something from Tsui Hark. But maybe thats because I saw "Fearless" in theatre and came home and watched "The Blade" on VCD it became such a biased comparison.

but anyhow, I'm holding on to "Election 2".

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    Old Boy (Tartan/DVD/2003).[/b] this one here is a Korean film. a guy who is kidnapped, locked in a room for over 15 years, released, and must now find out why and who did this to him. "the less you know about Oldboy, the better". drama, action, violence.

Sex & Fury.[/b] by Norifumi Suzuki. one of those pink violence films from the early 70's. revenge, sex, and music hypes the overall mood of the movie. recommended.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I don't have a lot of time to watch movies these days but here are a few titles that i really dug.

• Sorry but this movie is

It was awhile ago now and I was blazed outta my head at the time, but doesn't it finish with all the characters breaking out into dance!?

Sorry but this movie is

It was awhile ago now and I was blazed outta my head at the time, but doesn't it finish with all the characters breaking out into dance!?

Just out of interest, have you seen many other Takeshi movies?

I don't have a lot of time to watch movies these days but here are a few titles that i really dug.

All pretty good films. With hidden Blade being my fav. Tho, Twilight is even better and one of my fav movies of all time. I fucking can't wait for Y??ji Yamada to drop Bushi no ichibun to finish up the trilogy.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but THE BOXER'S OMEN is a must-see. Rumor is Image is issuing a DVD of it this year.

http://users.aol.com/monsterint/1996/boxersomen.html

• Sorry but this movie is

Can't say I have. Why? Are they good?

Sorry but this movie is

Can't say I have. Why? Are they good?

Well I'm pretty biased since I love his films but yeah they are superb. Think it would put Zatoichi more in context as well - I think you'd probably appreciate it more if you can see how his style has developed. Would recommend checking out Sonatine, my personal fave, as a great starting point, also Hana Bi, Violent Cop and Boiling Point.

Then finish off with Takeshi's Castle.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    COSIGN!!!

plus there is an other flick from Park Chan-wook also starring Choi Min-Sik that I heard is worth watching:

Classic Shooter!!!

Tarantino inspiration:

and of course classics like

or

shouldnt be missed.

Pretty trashy, but you gotta see this atleast once

(noayo)

I'm right in the middle of watching these too:

I could go on for days but now I and my evil alter ego have to return to theee lairrr

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

^ i slept on this until recently and im a brownie. my mom used to watch it in the Bombay theatres in the 70s where it broke records i think for being the longest movie being shown in theatres. anyhow, this came out in '75 i guess and its a phucking epic. none of that happy ending sheit, really tragic, but so many elements and a beautiful soundtrack. HEAVILY recommended, i guess people claim this is the best bollywood movie ever, or the citizen kane of bollywood...i wouldnt even know as i've only seen a handful, but this one is priceless.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Personally I think The Blade was very very poor, especially when its something from Tsui Hark. But maybe thats because I saw "Fearless" in theatre and came home and watched "The Blade" on VCD it became such a biased comparison.

but anyhow, I'm holding on to "Election 2".

Fearless & is a great film & I can't wait to see the director's cut, featuring scenes which flesh out Jet Li's character. The blade was stunning, IMO. For me, they are different movies in that the blade is a remake of a shaw bros. classic (The one armed swordsman). They picked up on some interesting aspects of the OG story, but made it more gritty, brutal and amoral. This is no chivalrous epic. I've never seen a film & had a sense of people as animals. Weirdest movie I've ever seen.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I think this is the best modern South Korean film I've seen yet. The film follows two men attempting to escape/redeem their respective pasts through boxing. It's very well acted and beautifully shot. I really can't recommend this film enough.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Watched "Election 2" over the weekend. Pretty standard Johnny To affair, with the emphasis on Jimmy (Louis Koo) this time around. All the supporting actors put in fine performances, although I hope Tam Ping-man would have more memorable lines like he did in the previous installment. Simon Yam plays the heavy this time.
    Johnny To raised the level of violence this time around, (spoiler in invisiotext) [color:white]even borrows liberally from Fargo[/color].
    Look out for Election 3, because it becomes clear that the Election films is a chronicle of the bloody events leading to the election of the gang leader. Even moreso in view of Lam Kar-tung's ending being completely cut from theatrical version.

Damn, I was really looking forward to seeing this. But you made it feel like it's just an average flick. Oh well... Do you feel this was a lil worse than the first?

• snosno 332 Posts
    Damn, I was really looking forward to seeing this. But you made it feel like it's just an average flick. Oh well... Do you feel this was a lil worse than the first?
    I would not say it's any worse, it's just different. Take this for example: in the first movie, the election got out of the way fairly early in the movie, the rest of the flick is about the ramification of Ah-Lok (Simon Yam) being the CEO of the gang. The second one is ALL about the election and how the election drives a wedge between the main characters (who were acting like blood-brothers at the end of the 1st movie) and the ensuing bloody battles between the characters to get to be the big guy in the organisation.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

While this thread is barely alive I reccommend people check out Taste of Tea[/b]. Some really surreal shit. It's very bizzarre and entertaining in a weird way.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    While this thread is barely alive I reccommend people check out Taste of Tea[/b]. Some really surreal shit. It's very bizzarre and entertaining in a weird way.

I rarely watch movies nowadays... this was probably the last one I saw and it was superb...