edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Dope record right?

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Dope record right?

Not for me, I find it , however I do like the tracks they did on
    "The Roughouse Orchestra" LP as "The Universal MCs"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One of my favorite albums. It dropped at a time when the "NativeTounge" sound was waning. I need that shit on wax.

SpongeBob remix =

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    i think pretty damn dope record i like ther 2nd one too but most peoples don't. i still like it anyway

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    One of my favorite albums. It dropped at a time when the "NativeTounge" sound was waning. I need that shit on wax.

SpongeBob remix =

got it. love the swing it to the area remix with the tempo flip up. shit sounds a little dated nowadays but i still like it. i got a sealed blue cheese 12" somewhere too....

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    They were staten island pre-wu with some ill stax/al green beats of there own.Live cello, too! I SAY VERY UNDERRATED...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I loved that shit..but it can easily be hatted on

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

Me too, just picked it up last week for ??5, after watching one go for about ??50 on ebay after it was posted on the vinyladdicts blog...

I SAY VERY UNDERRATED...

Not anymore. By the late 90's they were probably forgotten by the general public, but real heads/diggers/retromofos have carried the torch for this album. Even the EGOTRIP book listed this album in the top 10 overlooked joints. Cats know by now.
    That album is not raer/random rap.

What does the UNIVERSAL MC's album sound like?

• SoulmanSoulman 66 Posts
    I SAY VERY UNDERRATED...

Not anymore. By the late 90's they were probably forgotten by the general public, but real heads/diggers/retromofos have carried the torch for this album. Even the EGOTRIP book listed this album in the top 10 overlooked joints. Cats know by now.
    That album is not raer/random rap.

blue cheese and even one to grow on were pretty damn big for underground rap records when they came out. i got pretty sick of them running that damn blue cheese video to be honest that shit was playing all the gotdamn time

nice samples on that album for real

ursulena with her washin machine jumps so high that she touch the sky woooo

anyway the wind blows is COOOOOL wit me

hot shit man werd

i got pretty sick of them running that damn blue cheese video to be honest that shit was playing all the gotdamn time.

True dat. Rap City @ the time, ran that erry day.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    brother verb looks deeper

actually after we ran this piece, kool kim got in contact. they're both still doin it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What does the UNIVERSAL MC's album sound like?

Its actually the entire ROUGHHOUSE ORCHESTRA who have the LP, UMCs have two or three cuts on it... I know a song off this album was on a Shadow mix, I think it was them... good stuff

in regards to the album, i like their vibe... blue cheese & one to grow (the 2 singles) are by far the best songs on the joint, though

Disagree........not by far at all. Maybe the most radio friendly.

• great album! i finally picked this up about a year ago and was bummed to find out you got my back wasn't on there, i guess it was only on cassette, that was my favorite too

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    in regards to the album, i like their vibe... blue cheese & one to grow (the 2 singles) are by far the best songs on the joint, though

Disagree........not by far at all. Maybe the most radio friendly.

it's all about never never land. best beat on the whole LP.

great album! i finally picked this up about a year ago and was bummed to find out you got my back wasn't on there, i guess it was only on cassette, that was my favorite too

I didnt know that. It's on the cd, though.

it's all about never never land.

The opening sample always reminded me of dwarfs dancin' in the woods.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    it's all about never never land.
    dwarfs dancin' in the woods.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    [quote it's all about never never land. best beat on the whole LP.
    The kids chorus is so ill!

There's tons of great ideas in that record

• Always loved that LP and the use of the Flock sample is

Always dig out One to grow on when spring comes around, it's my official "spring is finally here" song....

He-HEY!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think part of the reason why this album might seem under appreciated (especially by a newer generation of rap listeners) is because it's relatively hard to obtain now compared to the rest of the albums released around that time.

• They were staten island pre-wu with some ill stax/al green beats of there own.Live cello, too! I SAY VERY UNDERRATED...

I wouldn't even say pre-wu (maybe wu forerunners) because if you listen to the lyrics they're talking about dropping wu-tang rhymes and this is 1991.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    all about "any way the wind blows" beat is bananas.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i bought this about 4 months ago and never listened to it, it's been sittin in my crates since then. sounds like i need to give it a spin

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Get the hint kid, and stop jivin!

They were staten island pre-wu with some ill stax/al green beats of there own.Live cello, too! I SAY VERY UNDERRATED...

I wouldn't even say pre-wu (maybe wu forerunners) because if you listen to the lyrics they're talking about dropping wu-tang rhymes and this is 1991.

I want to know the story behind the references to the WU.

Were they just fellow rappers whom they knew from ciphers/studios/highscools?
    Was the Wu style just so popular locally, that it was ok to drop the name in a rhyme just to rep Staten Is?
    The RZA/GZA are both named in the linear notes.

Sonically speaking, I dont think what they were doing was in any way similar to the WU-Tang production. That UMC shit is smooth/polished and well crafted, as opposed to that old dirty shit.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Sonically speaking, I dont think what they were doing was in any way similar to the WU-Tang production. That UMC shit is smooth/polished and well crafted, as opposed to that old dirty shit.

with 36 chambers yes, but just take a listen to RZA's Prince Rakeem tracks. Not that far off...

and the video...haha...too fresh

look at dude's top hat...haha

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i've always been curious about those wu references too.
    my guess is that since it predates 36 chambers by a couple years, umc's must have just been fans of the movies too.