Stress Relief (RR)

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
What do you listen to when you are really stressed out and tired from an exhausting week? I think I might go home after work get shitfaced and listen to Motorhead. That or I might put on some Lionel Hampton and fall asleep. Maybe I will just put on some Pharaoh Sanders and do both. I haven't decided yet, but the next few hours of work will be telling.
TAGGED:

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    CL,

Did you ever DL that Gavin Bryars "jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet" track I posted way back when?

I can almost guarentee that if your pissed when you first put it on you'll be absolutely serene by the time the track ends.

19 minutes of pure emotional beauty. Sung by a homeless Brittish man almost 40 years ago

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    CL,

Did you ever DL that Gavin Bryars "jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet" track I posted way back when?

I can almost guarentee that if your pissed when you first put it on you'll be absolutely serene by the time the track ends.

19 minutes of pure emotional beauty. Sung by a homeless Brittish man almost 40 years ago

I have zero download and or listening capabilities due to the fact I post from work and don't have the Internet at home. If I ever come across the song I will save it for a day like today.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    One way featuring Al Hudson - Something in the past 12"

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Do you ever get so stressed that you can't listen to ANYTHING? Like,where just any type of sound is irritating.Or do ever just need a break from your records?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    What do you listen to when you are really stressed out and tired from an exhausting week?

I think I might go home after work get shitfaced and listen to Motorhead. That or I might put on some Lionel Hampton and fall asleep. Maybe I will just put on some Pharaoh Sanders and do both. I haven't decided yet, but the next few hours of work will be telling.

I love listening to music so loud that it makes you fall asleep.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Do you ever get so stressed that you can't listen to ANYTHING? Like,where just any type of sound is irritating.Or do ever just need a break from your records?

If I could not find solace in my music I think I would just go home and cry.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Blossom Dearie

Relax like crazy by listening to her, doesn't even matter which album it is although the Daffodil stuff and Sings Rootin' Songs are my usual picks.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

If I could not find solace in my music I think I would just go home and cry.

Agreed. But,every now and then I just need silence. Maybe it's because when I play records I tend to get analytical,try to get inside of the music.I think too much about the music rather than just bathe in it. Cyclic Record Bi-Polarism?

But when I do try and chill with music.I'll put on some classical stuff or jazz ballads or some minimalist stuff. Usually something static and repetative works.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Sometimes after I get finished with work (I work in a noisy kitchen) where I listen to music all day. It's nice to drive home with the windows down with no tunes on. Listening to the ocean...way relaxing...When I'm stressed Richard Cheese cracks me up....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What do you listen to when you are really stressed out and tired from an exhausting week?

I think I might go home after work get shitfaced and listen to Motorhead. That or I might put on some Lionel Hampton and fall asleep. Maybe I will just put on some Pharaoh Sanders and do both. I haven't decided yet, but the next few hours of work will be telling.

Drive-By Truckers "Dirty South".....got it on right now!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Larr,

I usually put on some feelgood, upbeat type stuff to enhance my mood. My convention is to start spinning some old disco 12s (e.g., Invisible Man's Band, Grey & Hanks, Bell & James, Quartz, etc.), and get up and start dancin' like a fool. Or, I play some funky soul or old R&B music and get my bop on (e.g., Rasputin's Stash, Sho'Nuff, Karma, The Younghearts, etc.). I think I'm 'bout to knock off (I'm working at home today) and put on some vinyls, since I spent most of the day revising a somewhat written paper by a colleague (Phew!). Either that, or label variables in a data file that I had to read from an original text file into a statistical software package (too late in the day to start something so boring and tedious-related). Good luck on elevating your mood. Have a good weekend, bro!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Heinz van Moisy - Las Plantas (thanks Grope!)

This record melts tenseness like butter.

- J

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DeeDee warwick-We're Doing fine.

Its upbeat and positive for my soul but hard hittin for my frustrated urges. It soothes me transcedently.

I just did that yesterday night at 4AM

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Lately, i just turn on 102.3 FM which is the soul/R&B station in Los Angeles. Plays all the feel-good, no nonsense classics like Stevie, as well as new stuff.
    I usually play shit like that when i'm doing calisthenics in my room.

Later on in the night when i'm lounging, i'll put on something mellow:
    milt jackson- sunflower
    bobbi humphrey- blacks and blues
    minnie riperton- adventures in paradise
    alice coltrane- journey in satchidananda

i would love to hear some suggestions myself!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Or some SmoothJazz..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    when i'm doing calisthenics in my room.

YOU BETTER WORK, SON!

after I jog a mile fool. yea, i prefer calisthenics to weight-lifting even. i bet you don't even exercise cuz you're lazy and too busy trying to associate yourself with the Big Apple.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    after I jog a mile fool. yea, i prefer calisthenics to weight-lifting even. i bet you don't even exercise cuz you're lazy and too busy trying to associate yourself with the Big Apple.

I thought this was about stress relief?

Or some SmoothJazz..

i tried Sade a couple times, but then i stopped cuz it reminded me of work.

• after I jog a mile fool. yea, i prefer calisthenics to weight-lifting even. i bet you don't even exercise cuz you're lazy and too busy trying to associate yourself with the Big Apple.

i didn't think you could write something funnier than the 'doing calisthenics in my room' thing but holy shit dude that is incredible

i bet you don't even exercise cuz you're lazy and too busy trying to associate yourself with the Big Apple.

I am sure your pecs are way hard dude!

okay, so i was being sincere in my post and then "mr. young boss" big baller was.....yea......

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

okay, so i was being sincere in my post and then "mr. young boss" big baller was just making a lighthearted joke

okay, so i was being sincere in my post and then "mr. young boss" big baller was.....yea......

I am not sure your stress relief is very effective

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Or some SmoothJazz..

i tried Sade a couple times, but then i stopped cuz it reminded me of work.

I think it really depends on mood (of course). Sometimes in need to blast some Hardcore HipHop or sometimes i'll throw on some Wynton Marsalis HOT HOUSE FLOWERS.

Release vs Relax......

good job moderator. blame me! lol

do i really need to go on one of these long-winded rants about how i'm tired of Johnnypaycheck/Faux Rillz's "humor"?

Do i clown Mr. Young Boss, know-it-all, "i was making beats when you were running the courts", for trying so hard to BE DOWN with NY and for spitting weak rhymes?

actually, i can deal with faux rillz, cuz he doesn't take this SS shit too seriously.

i'm sure you can find better things to do.

yall having a conference call together or what?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

do i really need to go on one of these long-winded rants about how i'm tired of Johnnypaycheck/Faux Rillz's "humor"?

Do i clown Mr. Young Boss, know-it-all, "i was making beats when you were running the courts", for trying so hard to BE DOWN with NY and for spitting weak rhymes?

I was running the courts--and the mediations and arbitrations--while you were rocking the thighmaster.

i'm sure you can find better things to do.

I don't know, this is pretty awesome.