The New Edan, what cha'll think?

1235»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Like if you have a big collection of records that you don't to believe to be brilliant, then what the f**k are you doing? Engaging in the relentless persuit of mediocrity?

Some people are mending their ways.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'd only like to add that hating on Edan, Prefuse 73, and let's say (just for the hell of it) Madlib, doesn't exactly qualify as hating on "just about any and everything". It's a big world folks, and there's room for all of us to have differing opinions.

I think it's indicative of the soulstrut superiority complex to ask the question, "GOD! you don't like that? What DO you like?"

I mean, there's lots of music out there.

I think people are just curious as to exactly what sort of music you like since you so consitently (albeit eloquently) hate on most of the music people talk about on SS.

Not true at all. I've said this before, but I probably agree with about 90% of the consensus "good" records that people discuss on here. It's just that tip of the iceberg that we disagree on, but dudes frequently catch feelings and wanna remember the sh!t because they can't believe I'm denying their treasured _____ (and no, I'm not filling in the blank, for fear of a fifty post offshoot).

Here's some of what I remember listening to over the past few days:

Montgomery Movement Featuring the Montgomery Express
    Bill Moss and the Celestials I Have Been to the Water
    Marvin Gaye In Our Lifetime
    Leon Ware Musical Massage
    Lou Courtney I'm In Need of Love
    Ocho Ocho
    A recent reissue comp. of Glen Brown-produced rhythms

o, why can't he just be a good mc thats white without being accused of minstrelsy?

I didn't say I thought he was. What I said is that I don't think it's a non-topic. There's a big difference b/t the two.

And Faux - I REALLY want to know your list of brilliant albums right now. Rap or otherwise.

ME TOO!

Actually, I just want to hear the rap ones....

Guys, there may some confusion in that you think I am referring strictly to current releases.

I'm not.

But I don't really see the purpose of me listing the contents of my crates. They're reflective of my personal taste--my personal conception of "brilliance"--and little else.

I'm wondering why everybody finds this idea so mystifying. Like if you have a big collection of records that you don't to believe to be brilliant, then what the f**k are you doing? Engaging in the relentless persuit of mediocrity?

you said its not album of year, what has come out that you like better? the mystifying part, atleast for me, is that you continue to hate on just about any and everything yet never offer up what you think is good, making it seem like you truly hate everything or like some really reeeeeally gay shit that you are too embarassed to admit.

No, I think you have me confused with somebody. I did not say that it is "not album of the year". I haven't even heard it. But, if you like, I will now go out on a limb and formally pronounce it "not album of the year". Happy?

• You see, I'm well aware of what music you like, I mean in a general sort of way, but your remark about genius music made me wonder how much of what you like you actually consider genius. I like a lot of music that I wouldn't label as genius (although i do throw the term around pretty liberally). As a completely random example, I love KRS-ONE's Step Into A World. I mean, I used to go crazy when that shit was thrown on. But its just him rapping over Champ, and thats about it. So is it genius? Hardly, but I loved it anyways.

So, I really am curious, and especially as far as Rap is concerned, what you consider Genius. Lil Jon? Ying Yang Twins?

I'll be the first to say that you have the tastes of a 14 year old white girl, but dont let that stop you from proudly proclaiming what you think is genius

Lord knows the shit I buy most people think is god awful garbage.....

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I think people are just curious as to exactly what sort of music you like since you so consitently (albeit eloquently) hate on most of the music people talk about on SS.

Not true at all. I've said this before, but I probably agree with about 90% of the consensus "good" records that people discuss on here. It's just that tip of the iceberg that we disagree on, but dudes frequently catch feelings and wanna remember the sh!t because they can't believe I'm denying their treasured _____ (and no, I'm not filling in the blank, for fear of a fifty post offshoot).

Ocho Ocho

foolin', but yeah that's a nice lil' list of recent listens, I want that Leon Ware! Yeah man I don't know, maybe folks tend to remember the negative especially if they're heavily cheerleading and somebody's not feeling what they're feeling. I suppose I should retract that statement, 'cause I guess I haven't seen you hate on stuff really besides new releases of stuff that imo is too often hastily considered

• I suppose I should retract that statement, 'cause I guess I haven't seen you hate on stuff really besides new releases of stuff that imo is too often hastily considered

No, no...Faux said he likes Beanie Sigel's "Feel It In The Air."

Ocho Ocho

foolin', but yeah that's a nice lil' list of recent listens, I want that Leon Ware! Yeah man I don't know, maybe folks tend to remember the negative especially if they're heavily cheerleading and somebody's not feeling what they're feeling. I suppose I should retract that statement, 'cause I guess I haven't seen you hate on stuff really besides new releases of stuff that imo is too often hastily considered

Well, you know, a lot of times people on here--and I'm not saying you're guilty of doing this--will incorrectly infer that a more abstract idea that I put on the table is an expression of my feelings towards a particular album, this thread being a pretty good example.

I was sort of giving Oliver a hard time about the fact that I don't think "fun" is a ringing endorsement of any album, but I've never expressed an opinion on the album that this thread is ostensibly about. I've never even heard it. But dudes see me up in here and because of their general perception of me their take-away is "OHMIGOD HE IS HATING ON EDANALBUMOFTHEYEAR!"

• ive never even heard this dude before..anyone with clips?

Don't worry--he's not from Texas!

• I've never expressed an opinion on the album that this thread is ostensibly about. I've never even heard it.

So wait, you read, and then posted in this thread because...?

I'm not "hattin", but I'm just curious as to why I see your name pop up in threads to make snide comments on things you've "never even heard."

And for the record, I'm really enjoying the new Edan.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I've never expressed an opinion on the album that this thread is ostensibly about. I've never even heard it.

So wait, you read, and then posted in this thread because...?

I'm not "hattin", but I'm just curious as to why I see your name pop up in threads to make snide comments on things you've "never even heard."

And for the record, I'm really enjoying the new Edan.

I think dude was just taking issue with one of Oliver's qualifications for the excellence of the Edan album without respect to the album itself.

• Sorry, I guess that came out pissier than it should have. Low blood sugar and cranky.

Dude's a lawyer, right? I guess that would explain the propensity for verbal sparring.
    I respect pretty much everyone's opinion on here. I just wish that respect would be a bit more.. universal, sometimes.

Don't worry--he's not from Texas!

what is that supposed to mean?

• tomtom 36 Posts
    i should be bias on this as i know the label owner and my brother helps run/works for the label and i've always rated Edan as an mc...but, i aint feeling this new one at all, except the track Funky Voltron.

he's fuckin dope live though..when him and Insight are together it's nuts, i've seen them a couple times here in the UK and will be catching them again in a week or so i think it is..

• This is a really nice album, and i'm floored by his use of effects, but dude definitely owes some money or pronunciation credits to Omar Credle.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I am really liking this album from what I have heard of it so far. I guess I can't give it a proper review (I'm sorry I've only downloaded bits of it and will buy it very soon). I also loved Primitive Plus by the way which I do own yay. This really fits the bill for me rather than just being more of the same which would have been cool Edan really has elevated his sound to new heights maybe Im not looking in the right places but i have not heard many albums like it if any but somehow it sounds so familiar. My favourite song is Making Planets. Its rare that I hear a song that I like loads these days and to hear one that could quite easily be placed along side some of my favourite songs is well truely amazing in my book. Its not going to be everyones cup of tea its quite comic book at times which I find appealing though. I dunno give it a chance if you can be bothered I think its worthy.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    wig hop? cmon now baby.

I meant wig, as in the wig he wears to all the live shows I've seen him at. That was four years ago, though. I hope you didn't think I meant "wi**er."

Jesus, I hate that word.

Edan is a good guy, and I like his music twice as much after meeting him in person. No tall equine here.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Edan gives me a boner

• I love Edan.