does Kelefa Sanneh have issues?

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    rootlesscosmo have you spent any time around Hasidic Jews?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Rootlesscosmo, how much time have you spent around Hasidim, and how much do you actually know about them?

Hi Ayres.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And for the record, Zvi is 100% on point with his assesment.

But some of you might not agree, so be it.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    hi Cos. Dr Brown = Zvi? I did not know that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Cosmo, taking a thread dealing with a review of an artist and his show and having it somehow lead to words about Jews inbreeding seems a little strange doesn't it?

I can understand why Rootless is mad, hell I'm kinda upset at it too, that statement had nothing to do with the review or Kalefa's views. Just really in bad taste

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Rootlesscosmo, how much time have you spent around Hasidim, and how much do you actually know about them?

a. I've spent plenty of time around these fools.

b. I don't see how that fact is relevant to any of this.

hi urrs.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I can't believe the term "novelty" only came up once in this entire thread.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well guys, as I have to take a shower and get to the doctors, I can't get full into this conversation. However, what I am saying is that Zvi is accurate with his assesment about Matisyahu and the way that he's a tool for Chabad, and that for the most part his assesment of Hasidim (in particular those living in the neighborhoods we live in around Brooklyn) is realistic and accurate.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Cosmo, taking a thread dealing with a review of an artist and his show and having it somehow lead to words about Jews inbreeding seems a little strange doesn't it?

I can understand why Rootless is mad, hell I'm kinda upset at it too, that statement had nothing to do with the review or Kalefa's views. Just really in bad taste

He was talking about Hasidim, not all Jews. If he was talking about all Jews he would be talking about himself. Hasidim inbreed. Whether or not you think it is in bad taste to point that out, it's still true. And it's not a huge jump to go from talking about a Hasisdic artist to talking about Hasidim in general.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

You have serious reading comprehension issues. Go back and read my posts from the beginning. Maybe take notes or try reading out loud. I would draw you a diagram but I really don't have time. Don't argue with people when you cannot even comprehend what they're saying. Where is that I said that Matisblahoo is selling records to "zealous religious convert types"? I simply pointed out that he has an agenda about which he is not forthcoming and commented on the ironies of said agenda. Get off my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

dude, get off your own d*ck and stop acting like your writing some scholarly thesis and that i should waste my time going back to read all your garbage, when the truth is that if there are comprehension issues with your posts, its cause i need a decoder ring to decipher the relevancy in all your bullshit.

my first response pointed out that your posts were irrelevant to the author's argument...which you agreed with. next, you tried to argue that dude is a hypocrite because of the agenda he is allegedly pushing. what agenda? just because he is a hassidic convert doesn't mean he is throwing his religious beliefs on his listeners or that his fanbase has any relation to such beliefs. dude is on mtv, not the purim channel. he has mass appeal which is completely unrelated to his religious practice.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

a. I've spent plenty of time around these fools.

b. I don't see how that fact is relevant to any of this.

hi urrs.

Spent plenty of time around those in the Chabad-Lubavitch sect based in Brooklyn? It's a little different than your average ultra orthodox fellow wearing all black rocking his fedora a tzit tzit.

Also rootless, just my opinion, but it seems to me that you have a tendency to sometimes grasp at straws when it comes to looking for things that may be construed as anti-semetic on here.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

He was talking about Hasidim, not all Jews. If he was talking about all Jews he would be talking about himself. Hasidim inbreed. Whether or not you think it is in bad taste to point that out, it's still true. And it's not a huge jump to go from talking about a Hasisdic artist to talking about Hasidim in general.

yeah I regretted typing "Jews" instead of "Chasidim" but left it anyways. Still, whether its a fact or not, it had nothing to do with the review and was only put into this discussion to make Chasids look bad.

If 2 angry Jew lawyers want to argue it out over Kalefa's possible prejudice for jews thats cool but to take it to a level where you talk about inbreeding was not neccasary.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Adam, sorry to say but inbreeding[/b] makes Chasidim look bad. Among so much more.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Biggie Smalls RIP.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    he has mass appeal which is completely unrelated to his religious practice.

are you saying if he didn't didn't dress like that, if he looked like you or me, he would have the same mass appeal?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    hello.

can i please get some clarification on what you guys mean by in-breeding. sorry if it was specified earlier.

do you mean first cousins and on?

• LINUSLINUS 20 Posts
    lotta sensitivity in this thread

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Adam, sorry to say but inbreeding[/b] makes Chasidim look bad. Among so much more.

no argument there, but what does this have to do with the review of the artist? I mean Matisbooboo ain't singing about grabbing your cousin and making some chasid babies. He's just a mediocre singer singing in a style not associated with his people, he wears his culture on his sleeve but drudging up bad stuff like this just didn't need to happen in this thread.

we could of saved that for the Ultra-orthadox jews are assholes thread (Which I would post plenty in)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Miss Bassie - yeah. inter-marrying for generations and generations within a small gene pool. first cousins and such.

Guzzo - I feel you.

Rootlesscosmo - hi!

Cosmo - B.I.G. R.I.P. (G.O.A.T.)

I also like how the original poster has backed off his original issue (i.e. that Sanneh has "issues", read: dude is a reverse racist or something) once he got his argument served and instead, is now trying to sound like an editor, "why did they bother to run this to begin with."

I haven't backed off anything. And if I got my "argument" served (insofar as I had one in the first place; I was merely posting an article and soliciting opinions) I must have missed that.

My suggestion was that this guy has issues with white people appropriating black culture. Fine. Might this "color" his crtique of someone's music? Prolly.

Let me try to explain something: when a curious phenomenon happens - say, a born-again Hasidic jew doing reggae - this institution called "the media" writes things called "stories" that focus on them since they think that "readers" might find said phenom interesting or "newsworthy." Occassionally, certain writers, known as "critics" may actually offer up what's known as an "opinion" on the matter.

Hey man don't take it personal! I know you critics need to stick together; but you don't need to insult me, mayne!

Ok? That's what newspapers like the NY Times (especially the NY Times) does: examine cultural phenomenon and occassionally proffer an opinion about it. You may not agree with said opinion but to ask, "why did they bother to report on this to begin with?" seems to miss the point about what newspapers and magazines are supposed to do.

It's just that the "opinion" proffered is superficial and lame. The author is proudly "revealing" that this fool is in fact white. Well, that's an obvious point to me. This fool is white and as such (for whatever underlying race-related issues) has amassed a following of white hippies and wannabe LES Jewish hipsters. So why patronizingly suggest that these fans should seek out some "real" reggae. Like I said before, that's obviously not what it's about for these people.

Why don't you just disagree with Sanneh's opinion (even though I don't think you actually disagree with the crux of his critique: that dude makes shitty music) and be done with it? And this point, I don't even known what windmills you're charging against.

That's just it: If that really were the "crux" then this would be an honest - though still shitty - article. But if you think the "crux" of this dude's article is that the guy makes shitty music, you need to go back and read it again. That's only the pretext.

• And for the record, Zvi is 100% on point with his assesment.

Oh, I'm sorry did I fail to adhere to Robert's Rules of Order? This is a message board you anorexic hump. Conversations start out one place and they end up in a very different place. Read the thread from the beginning and the natural progression of the discussion should be pretty easy to grasp. I stand by every word I said in this thread and have the empirical and/or first-hand knowledge to prove it. Another fun fact about these freaks: my fiancee, who I have known my whole life, lived off of Ocean Parkway from about 1982 to 1990. When my family would drive to see her family on Saturdays, the Satmars would sometimes throw rocks at our car, because they were outraged that we would drive on the sabbath. Sorry folls, but the chasidim are not that different from the Taliban (yeah, I said it, I must be self-hating despite my religious upbring, ability to read and speak Hebrew, jewish name, etc.) they are awful to women, they are ignorant, some (but not all, just so you peabrains are clear) are deep into money laundering and the ecstacy trade, and the way they view anyone who doesn't share their beliefs is nothing short of bigotry. For the record Girlzo and Cluelesspoptart, chasidim don't even consider reform, conservative, or even modern orthodox jews to be jewish, we are "goyim" like all the rest. But please keep being knee-jerk defenders of the jewish people, and please keep equating a small fringe sect with a much larger culture. Are you aware that many chasidic groups don't even recognize the right of Israel to exist? Can no one say anything bad about anyone jewish? Would you have even posted this article of Matisblahblah wasn't a Jew?

Also rootless, just my opinion, but it seems to me that you have a tendency to sometimes grasp at straws when it comes to looking for things that may be construed as anti-semetic on here.

Uh, I didn't need to look very hard for this, man:

the community has high rates of inbreeding-related genetic ailments, a real love of money laundering schemes, and an awful attitude toward anyone who doesn't share their beliefs to letter (including other chasidic sects)

that's fucked up to say about a community no matter how you look at it.

and that's the only post I thought had anything to do with anti-Semitism. (shame it had to come from a Jew).

the original post was not about anti-Semitism at all: it was about a music "review" that was really more about race than about the guy's music. I just wanted to hear people's opinions on that.

and yeah, I stayed in Crown Heights for a minute. I know some of the families. some of those religious chicks are hot in their long skirts. (shit, was that a generalization?)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    You failed to mention that the men bang hookers and bring AIDS home to their wives at an alarming frequency.

• You failed to mention that the men bang hookers and bring AIDS home to their wives at an alarming frequency.

Yup and they also assume that any woman who is not frum (religious) is a wanton slut. Ask any girl who has had the displeasure of walking through Brooklyn late at night and having one of these douds pull down the window of his car and offer money for sex. Sorry folks, but the reality of the world is that these folls live in a pretty reprehensible manner. If that hurts your ass, get an ass protector or stop reading soulstrut.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Uh, I didn't need to look very hard for this, man:

the community has high rates of inbreeding-related genetic ailments, a real love of money laundering schemes, and an awful attitude toward anyone who doesn't share their beliefs to letter (including other chasidic sects)

that's fucked up to say about a community no matter how you look at it.

and that's the only post I thought had anything to do with anti-Semitism. (shame it had to come from a Jew).

how is it anti-semitic if it is only about a small community of fanatics?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If that hurts your ass, get an ass protector or stop reading soulstrut.

Words to live by.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    My suggestion was that this guy has issues with white people appropriating black culture. Fine. Might this "color" his crtique of someone's music? Prolly.

If you don't like the fact that white people appropriate black culture, which happens on the regular, why you mad when he acknowledges this in a tactful, yet engaging way?

Yet he has mainly avoided thorny questions about cultural appropriation. He looks like an anomaly, but if you think of him as a white pop star drawing from a black musical tradition, then he may seem like a more familiar figure.

Matisyahu has built a following by bypassing reggae fanatics (many of his fans come from the jam-band world). That explains why he outsells and outdraws his Jamaican counterparts. And it may also explain why some listeners find his music so exciting. Certainly no one seemed disappointed after Monday's concert.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    some (but not all, just so you peabrains are clear) are deep into money laundering and the ecstacy trade,

a friend of mine was a criminal lawyer with a clientele of mostly hispanic drug dealers and he brokered many deals with the hasidim, doing stuff like buying houses and selling houses in CASH. Living in Brooklyn, my personal experience with Hasidim is that they are kinda shady. And don't get me started about what goes on in the Bedford Ave. swimming pool on women's swim day...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    this is good shit!

man the only info i get about judaism is from my main man benjo. me and the dude celebrated hannikah together even though i didnt get gifts. well, i got some chocolate, that was cool. and yiddishkait or something like that. that was real cool. got a tour of boyle heights and visited some old temple [bet?] and got pickles and heard the story of pickle joe or whoever that dude is. they mention him on a few of these east side cuts. anyways.

man, this dude i used to work with said he was jewish. he was this black dude with long ass dreads and my other coworker who i was closer to was all like "man, he wasnt saying that shit in prison i'll tell you that." which i took to mean some sort of black/jewish thing. my homie used to clown on that dude all day long. i think it was lost on me though.

now i work in the jewish neighborhood. at least that's what i think it is. dudes wearing the trenchcoats and hats. this one time i seen a bunch of dudes on saturday walking around with what looked like hat boxes on their heads. what is that? i mean, does that signify a sect? or some sort of heirarchy? i dont know. but i do know this. the trenchcoat looking dudes are always at my building where i work and they almost always travel in a pack. kinda like fobby asian folks. and it really does them no service to wear the black heavy coats in LA cuz, and this aint no knock, but dude, that shit stinks. like i walk into this one office and it smells like a gym sock cuz these dudes are stewing in them digs.

anyways, i dont know if thats hasidim or whatever but unless youre one of them, they really cant be bothered by you. what im saying is, they stick to their own. and that's never good for relations. theyre kinda like korean christian chicks. i mean, i cant tell you how many times ive been asked if im "korean". the next question is "are you christian". if not they really dont want to have anything to do with you on a personal level.

• word. the author is asshurt because a white guy is making money off black art.

*yawn*
    are you "yawn"-ing because we're all too familiar with the neverending elvis cycle, or because you actually disagree with him?