Backpack Rap Discussion

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Why is Rjd2 working with all people, Aceyalone? What are the merits of working with him, i really would like to know.

Comments

• Why is Rjd2 working with all people, Aceyalone? What are the merits of working with him, i really would like to know.

$$$ from both fanbases.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    To be perfectly blunt...what the fuck kind of question is this?

They worked together on Acey's last album and at least one of the songs "Lost Your Mind" was tight.

Magnificent City is also pretty darned good, thanks to both of them.

Is RJD2 somehow less "backpack" than Aceyalone?

What are you implying here?

• To be perfectly blunt...Magnificent City is pretty darned good,

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

They worked together on Acey's last album and at least one of the songs "Lost Your Mind" was tight.

Don't tell anyone but I regularly played this 12" at this old headwrap gig.

• Is RJD2 somehow less "backpack" than Aceyalone?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'm disappointed i was expecting more considering the track record of these 2 artists.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Never really been a fan of this style of rapping...I just think Rj could be working with better talent. Ofcourse as cliche goes, nobody sounds good over his beats. Although I would rather much take Copywrite over Aceyalone. His rhymes just do not evoke any type of excitement within my private mind garden.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I would rather much take Copywrite over Aceyaleon.

Even though I'm not an Acey fan anymore... COPYWRITE?!! You can't do much worse!!!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was hoping to read this and see "good" artists discussed. RJD2 is garbage and Aceyalone was good.

I would rather much take Copywrite over Aceyalone. ayo!!!

Copywrite has yet to find his rap identity.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would rather much take Natalie Portman over Aceyalone.

Never really been a fan of this style of rapping...

You've never been a fan of straight-ahead, b-boy-oriented rapping???

I mean, I can understand people not being blown-away by Magnificent City. But so far your explanations surrounding why you don't like it stink much more than the record ever could.

• I would rather much take Copywrite over Aceyaleon.

Even though I'm not an Acey fan anymore... COPYWRITE?!! You can't do much worse!!!

copywrite is the type of artis that makes underground hip-hop kinda embarassing. COMPLETELY LACKING ANY KUFI AND/OR NAG CHAMPA PATHOS.

Battle rapper that's a little too aggressive on the mic for most?

• I would rather much take Copywrite over Aceyalone. ayo!!!

naw, just makes boring music. Come on man "battle rappers"? why the fuck would I want to hear a whole album of battle raps/rappin' about rappin' type of shit?

He was a battle rapper.

I would rather much take Copywrite over Aceyaleon.

not a fan of Copywrite either, but "june" and "rocket science" are far more interesting.

which other rappers would make this category?

naw, just makes boring music. Come on man "battle rappers"? why the fuck would I want to hear a whole album of battle raps/rappin' about rappin' type of shit?

I have not listened to Copywrite's album nor am I planning on purchasing it.

but why would anyone wanna listen to a sub-par talent rapping about "wait, what were you talking about again"? The music would probably sound the same with or without Aceyalone.

which other rappers would make this category?

For whatever reason, the first one that comes to mind is Step in the Arena-era Guru.

Possibly a more obvious one would be Mos Def.

But why don't you go ahead an explain further what you don't like about Acey's style of rap?

His delivery is bordering on wack, and his rhymes are corny.

• His delivery is bordering on wack, and his rhymes are corny.

Do you also feel this way about E-40? I ask you this in all seriousness because I've heard (okay, read) a fair amount of people voice this opinion recently.

on "Fire"

"the game ain't mine but it will be when i'm done....I kill emcees for fun....they call me Acey, i'm an OG like Count Basie..."

His delivery is bordering on wack, and his rhymes are corny.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

R*** why you trying to divert from the topic,E-40 and Keak have like 3 posts for themselves already c'mon man

• on "Fire"

"the game ain't mine but it will be when i'm done....I kill emcees for fun....they call me Acey, i'm an OG like Count Basie..."

Try listening to All Balls Don't Bounce or Book of Human Language. You can't really judge an mc off one album, and yes that line is not good.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    wow. what could possibly be boring about E40's delivery? I could think of other adjectives people might use negatively about the man's style, but boring? shit. flamboastin'!

as far as acey being boring, i can see why people would think that. i like some of his stuff. older more than recent. being that i did listen to him a lot circa all balls don't bounce/project blowed comp, i think his newer material is boring compared to that stuff. that's pretty much why i quit listening. i heard magnificent city in the record store the other day and every song sounded the same - just like the songs on his last album. maybe i just became one of "those guys". sorry.

Do you also feel this way about E-40?

honestly i don't know his catalog so i can't speak on it. It seems like they get far more love in the Bay than elsewhere, and to be fair, i'm sure it is the newjacks like me who are poppin' off with nonsense like "i can't get with this style or that" without having much knowledge of rap.

Do you also feel this way about E-40?

honestly i don't know his catalog so i can't speak on it. It seems like they get far more love in the Bay than elsewhere, and to be fair, i'm sure it is the newjacks like me who are poppin' off with nonsense like "i can't get with this style or that" without having much knowledge of rap.

Some call it...voicing your honest opinion. Others call it...talkin' out yo' azz.

okay it must be the dreary weather and my recent outings with friends who were all into their music like "thievery corporation is amazing!!!" and "yea man, the new blueprint album is SICK". surprisingly a couple of them drive Scions.