Crash is the "best" film.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Bamboozled, like practically everything else Spike Lee has attempted in the last 10 years, is a total fucking mess. The finale is probably the most campy, wrong headed piece of filmaking that I have ever seen. That said, I like his premise. Calling out the media for its portrayal of race is long overdue. But like Crash just pointing the car in the that direction does not make for good art. I just wish that Glover could act and that Spike would spend the time to finish an actual script like he used to. There is one great scene in the movie between Jada and Mos Def that was both funny and heart wrenching in the vein of SPike's truly important work.

Spike should have taken a page from Network which is another great campy (Dunaway's orgasm scene for real) send up of mass media that works because Peter Finch taps into something very real. Network is a great but flawed movie. I can live with that. Bamboozled is sad and pathetic. If you want to see a good but flawed recent spike lee joint, rent Girl 6 which starts off well enough but looses its mind in the end.

Spike's problem with narrative is a much discussed problem amongst even those work with him. Many hope that he can find someone to ride herd on him to tighten his approach. Woody Allen has suffered from much the same problem. He too has lost most of his partners who helped him refine his already thoughtful craft (Brickman=Annie Hall, McGrath=Bullets over Broadway). It is difficult when you have final cut and very little to prove to reign yourself in and make something beautiful and complete.

Wow. You are saying he has made nothing but messes since Clockers? I disagree and I think Spike Lee's movies have been getting better and better (but I have not seen She Hate Me). Furthermore, I think Bamboozled is one of his best.

At the same time, I'm not really sure what you mean by "narrative" There is certain style--reminiscent of Fr. New Wave--that one could call messy. But I don't need to be micromanaged through a narrative. The pattern of acts in Bamboozled leaves one with a contradictory feeling of amusement and sadness. You think you are laughing at Big Black Africa--or whoever Mos Def was--but you are not even laughing with him. He's holding up a mirror and kicking you in the crotch. This is where campy is powerful and irony is deceptive. White people, for example, watch this film and think Lee is being ironic and halfway through they realize he not winking at you. And it hurts their feelings. But if you were dumb enough to fall for this fake irony, he reminds you that this was only the tip of the iceberg with closing montage.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just had a thought maybe SPike and Woody should give this guy a call. Maybe he can help them find their center.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    But if you were dumb enough to fall for this fake irony, he reminds you that this was only the tip of the iceberg with closing montage.

I liked SHE HATE ME as well.

But we should stick to crash right now

SPIKE LEE DESERVES HIS OWN THREAD.

The great irony here is that, of these two films, Crash, not Bamboozled, was much closer to a real minstrel show.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don???t think I can add too much to the Cineaste review ??? it is far more articulate than I am. I think it covers all the bases.

I expect a lot from films because I love them and I know they are capable of great things as all (great) art is.

What was challenging about this film? How will it make anyone think twice the next time they imitate an accent or bitch about how ???they??? can???t drive or how ???they??? smell?
    In my opinion, the answers are nothing and it won???t.

I don???t look at movies to answer questions, but make me ask more and more questions. Do the Right Thing did this, Bamboozled did this, Secrets and Lies did this and more recently, Cache (France), did this. Cache is one of the most intelligent films I???ve seen on race. It is subtle (like the most damaging racism can be), the people are not cartoon characters and it raises many questions that play on perspective, personal truths, power and assumptions.

The great irony here is that, of these two films, Crash, not Bamboozled, was much closer to a real minstrel show.

yes.

What was challenging about this film? How will it make anyone think twice the next time they imitate an accent or bitch about how ???they??? can???t drive or how ???they??? smell? In my opinion, the answers are nothing and it won???t.

It simply allows middlebrow white liberals to go on about browsing at Target without so much as a passing thought regarding the systemic racial caste system. As long nobody says [insert racial slurr] within earshot.

For that, I give Haggis credit.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I am hoping that COnstant Gardener is good. I loved Mireilles' City of God.

I really enjoyed Constant Gardener, found it to be very good. Some of the filmmaking style recalls City of God. Rachel Weisz deserved the award - great performance, although some would say that was a leading role.

As for Spike Lee, I agree completely with you that his films are a mess, and Bamboozled was no exception. He just takes on too many issues, often for no reason, and the narratives tend to suffer. I think Bamboozled is a better film than Girl 6 by a long shot.

Did you like 25th Hour? I thought it was the most focused picture Spike made in a long time.

Peace,
    JRoot

• I saw CRASH= SHIT WAS KINDA TRASH.

Any motherfucker who thinks that film was this "great piece that disects and adressess racism in America" or some shit is either a fucking racist or "minority" who's completely detatched from reality. Actually that whole thing was mad condescending to race and racism in America. Shit didn't address anything or reveal anything new than any "minority" doesn't go through even damn day of his/her life.[/b]

So a person can't make a movie because you are up on it? That's some straight elitist crap. I'm sure this movie opened the eyes of many middle Americans and probably some of your more worldly ones. I am a "minority" and I hip to the world around me, but I'm not so pompous to think that everyone is hip to something so taboo as the underlying racism going on in this country. I argue with bitches every day about what's racist and what isn't. It's amazing to think this movie doesn't offer anything worthwhile to anyone. There are many small-minded folks roaming this country.

Man, I'm sure you have some deeper insight than this, because I can't believe this is the reasoning you don't like this movie. How does it not address racism? The movie is basically about racism! The idea if it was dissected is relative. How it's condescending is relative, but damn... that makes the movie trash?

I thought it was just me, but talking to other folks we all agreed, it's really a lame flick that doesn't really sink it's teeth or address anything. It just shows a bunch of situations that occur and nothing else. That's why I think you have to be completely in your own little bubble to think that this movie really breaks new ground about race and racism in America.

I mean take for example the seen where Sandra Bullock flips out over the locksmith and he maybe making copies of keys and giving them out. WOW! That shit happens every damn day, nothing new folks.

but I do agree with you in terms yes it can offer something new to some pretty closed minded people, but I mean c'mon that makes it a great film on race? because a bunch of white folks had their "minds blown"? That film didn't have any teeth when dealing with the issue.

• extremely contrived and exaggerated, and the fact that so many critics and people in general praise the film so much, is further proof that most of america is out of touch with contemporary social/race relations aside from what they see on tv or the movie screen.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I mean take for example the seen where Sandra Bullock flips out over the locksmith and he maybe making copies of keys and giving them out. WOW! That shit happens every damn day, nothing new folks.

but I do agree with you in terms yes it can offer something new to some pretty closed minded people, but I mean c'mon that makes it a great film on race? because a bunch of white folks had their "minds blown"? That film didn't have any teeth when dealing with the issue.

Crash depicts fairly realistically some small subset of the type of treatment that people of color endure from white folks, from the petty indignities to the outright racism, which is rare in mainstream hollywood. If it opens the eyes of folks in the white majority who would prefer to pretend that those things don't happen because they've never seen it happen before (even in the movies) then that's good too. And to put it in a movie with a compelling narrative (even if inplausible in places) and multi-dimensional lead characters, made for a satisfying moviewatching experience for me.

I think that you're reacting more to the overblown praise of the film than to the film itself. As long as it's not cast as mind blowing, it's pretty good.

JRoot

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Did you like Get On The Bus[/b]? I thought it was the most focused picture Spike has ever made[/b].

to me, the best line in the film came from Bullock when she says "I am angry all the time and I don't know why". then, it could have been looking at folks like her as opposed to always looking at the brown folks and trying so hard to make them likable/human/etc. which is so heavy-handed but never really does anything to dispel that they are the 'other'.

but i guess i should be careful what i ask for - i might just get another American Beauty-type piece of shit.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Did you like Get On The Bus[/b]? I thought it was the most focused picture Spike has ever made[/b].

I LOVED[/b] Get on the Bus. It was timely, focused, and truly remarkable. Critics and the public: ignored it like the plague.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I saw CRASH= SHIT WAS KINDA TRASH.

Any motherfucker who thinks that film was this "great piece that disects and adressess racism in America" or some shit is either a fucking racist or "minority" who's completely detatched from reality. Actually that whole thing was mad condescending to race and racism in America. Shit didn't address anything or reveal anything new than any "minority" doesn't go through even damn day of his/her life.[/b]

So a person can't make a movie because you are up on it? That's some straight elitist crap. I'm sure this movie opened the eyes of many middle Americans and probably some of your more worldly ones. I am a "minority" and I hip to the world around me, but I'm not so pompous to think that everyone is hip to something so taboo as the underlying racism going on in this country. I argue with bitches every day about what's racist and what isn't. It's amazing to think this movie doesn't offer anything worthwhile to anyone. There are many small-minded folks roaming this country.

Man, I'm sure you have some deeper insight than this, because I can't believe this is the reasoning you don't like this movie. How does it not address racism? The movie is basically about racism! The idea if it was dissected is relative. How it's condescending is relative, but damn... that makes the movie trash?

I thought it was just me, but talking to other folks we all agreed, it's really a lame flick that doesn't really sink it's teeth or address anything. It just shows a bunch of situations that occur and nothing else. That's why I think you have to be completely in your own little bubble to think that this movie really breaks new ground about race and racism in America.

First, I think Crash was a damn good flick. Is there better in its genre? Sure, but I think it was the better of the stuff we got this year. Am I going to get it on DVD? Naw... not really, I got the point.

But trust me, there are people that need a movie like this in their lives to wake up a little bit. There are many individuals that walk the earth that don't understand how damaging what they preceive as a little prejudice can be to a situation. I think Crash addressed that, in a way that was easy for average folks - not super-critical movie buffs to get. That's how I rate a good movie. It's not going to go in my snob list, but I'll recommend that flick to any looking for "something more." I think that's why it got its award.
    Movies, like any art, should speak to all people, not just the intelligent or the ignorant. To me, Crash was comprehensive, but left room for conversation. Compared to a more recent movie like Bamboozled, it pales in the shock value. It's not as confrontational. It's a bit sheepish, yes. I still think the movie showed some courage. The movie didn't have to come out at all, ya know? I wouldn't say the movie was due. The multitudes of movies about the issues in the Middle East are due.

We're contesting whether Crash was good or not. What do you guys think really should have won this year? I heard about Good ... Luck should have won, but I haven't seen that yet.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I'll never understand. I'm still mad at Spike for that shit.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I'll never understand get on the bus[/b] I'm still mad at Spike for that boring[/b] shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'll never understand. I'm still mad at Spike for that shit.

That movie is awful.

But it did have Kerry Washington in it.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    We're contesting whether Crash was good or not. What do you guys think really should have won this year? I heard about Good ... Luck should have won, but I haven't seen that yet.

Better movies than "Crash" that came out in 2005:
    *Brokeback Mountain
    *Cache(Hidden)
    *Constant Gardener

• I saw CRASH= SHIT WAS KINDA TRASH.

First, I think Crash was a damn good flick. Is there better in its genre? Sure, but I think it was the better of the stuff we got this year. Am I going to get it on DVD? Naw... not really, I got the point.

But trust me, there are people that need a movie like this in their lives to wake up a little bit. There are many individuals that walk the earth that don't understand how damaging what they preceive as a little prejudice can be to a situation. I think Crash addressed that, in a way that was easy for average folks - not super-critical movie buffs to get. That's how I rate a good movie. It's not going to go in my snob list, but I'll recommend that flick to any looking for "something more." I think that's why it got its award.
    Movies, like any art, should speak to all people, not just the intelligent or the ignorant. To me, Crash was comprehensive, but left room for conversation. Compared to a more recent movie like Bamboozled, it pales in the shock value. It's not as confrontational. It's a bit sheepish, yes. I still think the movie showed some courage. The movie didn't have to come out at all, ya know? I wouldn't say the movie was due. The multitudes of movies about the issues in the Middle East are due.

so basically it was a film that did a good enough job about racism to win an Oscar? GTFOOHWTBS

That just shit kinda rings on token shit

But trust me, there are people that need a movie like this in their lives to wake up a little bit. There are many individuals that walk the earth that don't understand how damaging what they preceive as a little prejudice can be to a situation. I think Crash addressed that, in a way that was easy for average folks - not super-critical movie buffs to get.

at this point, we are no longer talking about the merits of the movie, but how we view racism and people.

as far as those who need this movie in their life - i think crash will do more damage than good. no one had to face the consequences of what they did...other than how it affected their own lives. the only thing that came close to what you are talking about, the damge done to others, was the shopkeeper going after the locksmith and that was not even racially motivated.

like i asked before - what is so challenging about this film?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    to me, the best line in the film came from Bullock when she says "I am angry all the time and I don't know why". then, it could have been looking at folks like her as opposed to always looking at the brown folks and trying so hard to make them likable/human/etc. which is so heavy-handed but never really does anything to dispel that they are the 'other'.

but i guess i should be careful what i ask for - i might just get another American Beauty-type piece of shit.
    missbassie, I definitely understand what you're saying, but I thought this movie was as balanced character-wise as a major motion picture could ever be. Looking at each character's "dilemma," I thought there was a great effort to just show both sides of the coin on each problem. I never thought there was a great effort to make the brown folks "likable." Being a brown person, I kind of always look for that.
    Crash definitely played it safe by not really probing deeper than needed though, but it hid behind the massive cast as the excuse. If that movie really got grimy, I think it would have been too long or it just would have been bad. I think it made due with what was doable.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I saw CRASH= SHIT WAS KINDA TRASH.

so basically it was a film that did a good enough job about racism to win an Oscar? GTFOOHWTBS

That just shit kinda rings on token shit
    Man, it's the Oscars. Most of the movies I really enjoyed weren't even nominated. With the stuff that was nominated, I thought it was the best. It's just that simple. I think Crash did a great job, not good enough. If anything, I found the movie "effective enough." I don't see that being on some token shit.

Honestly, I think last year was soft with the movies actually.

missbassie, I definitely understand what you're saying, but I thought this movie was as balanced character-wise as a major motion picture could ever be. Looking at each character's "dilemma," I thought there was a great effort to just show both sides of the coin on each problem. I never thought there was a great effort to make the brown folks "likable." Being a brown person, I kind of always look for that.

Crash definitely played it safe by not really probing deeper than needed though, but it hid behind the massive cast as the excuse. If that movie really got grimy, I think it would have been too long or it just would have been bad. I think it made due with what was doable.

well - we are now almost saying the same thing!

they just did not try hard enough and a half-assed film with safe characters and predictable plot lines was the result. and then to walk around acting like they've made the most profound, hard-hitting film about race in the States...well...i think not.

this is the first film in a long time that made me more and more angry as i watched it. i am at the point now that if people i like saw and loved it, i pretend i have not even seen it to avoid talking about it.

i save it all for here! hah!

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    But trust me, there are people that need a movie like this in their lives to wake up a little bit. There are many individuals that walk the earth that don't understand how damaging what they preceive as a little prejudice can be to a situation. I think Crash addressed that, in a way that was easy for average folks - not super-critical movie buffs to get.

at this point, we are no longer talking about the merits of the movie, but how we view racism and people.

as far as those who need this movie in their life - i think crash will do more damage than good. no one had to face the consequences of what they did...other than how it affected their own lives. the only thing that came close to what you are talking about, the damge done to others, was the shopkeeper going after the locksmith and that was not even racially motivated.

I was just responding to YP saying that the movie was trash, which I took him saying it was pointless and was a waste of time. I don't think it was pointless. I think it deserves to be given more credit by the people shitting on it here.

I was just responding to YP saying that the movie was trash, which I took him saying it was pointless and was a waste of time. I don't think it was pointless. I think it deserves to be given more credit by the people shitting on it here.

i'll certainly give it credit for sparking discussion - probably not the kind they were hoping for - but still, it got three pages of civil back and forth which is saying a lot.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i really liked Crash.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Hold it know. I liked American Beauty. At least they killed the motherfucker at the end of the movie instead of trying to make everything alright like in Crash.

I have not seen either 25hrs or She Hate Me (frankly I've just lost any interest in his work at this point). I liked GET ON THE BUS but thought it was more of essay than a full blown movie. It succeeded because it was focused. Spike is good at a few things. He just seems to do better with strong narrative pieces rather than the more psychological stuff like He Got Game or Summer of Sam. Just my two cents.

I think MissBassie (who I get the feeling would be a good person to hang with and talk movies) hit it on the head. Spike's art is what's failing here. The choice of topics, some of the performances are great but it just lacks heart. Again Woody's reccent rough patch is instructive here. It's not like Allen got stupid or boring, he just lost his mojo. No harm in that. ALthough I can't imagine how painful it would be to have to sit through Everybody Says I Love You.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

i'll certainly give it credit for sparking discussion - probably not the kind they were hoping for - but still, it got three pages of civil back and forth which is saying a lot.
    Heh, you can credit yourself for making the conversation civil.