Crash is the "best" film.

1235»

Comments

• From a Slate.com article about watching the Oscars...
    re: Crash
    "Welcome to the best movie of the year for people who like to say, 'A lot of my best friends are black.' "
    -Scott Foundas, LA Weekly

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I haven't seen many films that were nominated so I can't compare, but I wonder, do people think Munich should have gotten the oscar for best movie? I enjoyed that movie on many levels, thought the cinematography was among the best I've seen in many years and thought the art direction was unbelievable. Plus the film poses some very relevant moral dilemmas in it's (maybe slightly overwritten) scenario. The casting was genius too. I appreciate the fact that the movie was very violent as well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Well, I didn't see crash, and I probably won't.

If you want to watch a REAL movie you need to watch this:

The moment Village of the Giants opens, with sensual shots of slow-motion frugging, we know we've happened upon some Bad Teens. In search of kicks, the Bad Teens head into the village of Hainesville, populated by Good Teens, most of whom seem to be in their early 30s. The fun begins when a lovable tyke named Genius (an 11-year-old Ron Howard, by far the most assured actor in the cast) whips up some "goo," which makes anything that eats it grow really big and develop a rakish disregard for scale. Soon these wild Bad Teens, led by a deeply embarrassed Beau Bridges and wearing their rebellious cardigans and Sansabelt pants, get their hands on the stuff. They take over the town and celebrate with some giant slow-motion dancing, complete with lots and lots of footage of giant slow-motion cleavage to make sure we've taken in the full horror of the situation. There is not one disappointing moment in this entire movie: Just when you think it can't possibly get any more ludicrous, it comes through and surprises you with a giant spider in the basement or a plan to distract the teens with yet more sexy dancing. Absolutely not to be missed. --Ali Davis

If giant go-go dancing ducks is your thing (and it should be) then watch this immediately.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) I, unfortunately, will have to watch "Crash" (given that I'm teaching a class on race, class and gender this fall) and given this discussion and everything else I read so far, I'm pretty much dreading it. But then again, I'm also dreading having to watch that new "Black/White" reality show. I miss John Sayles making good movies. Anyways...

I thought Ken Turan in the LA Times had an interesting analysis: Brokeback lost because ultimately, voters' latent homophobia prevented them from acknowledging that they might like the film. It's not like he offers empircal proof but he thought "Crash" was the "safer" choice and so far, that seems to wash with conventional wisdom.

2) Sorry to come in late on Gambit's early comment but Ang Lee used an intepreter on "Sense and Sensibility" - I'm not as certain if he still uses one now. If you know otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing a story that confirms it. As someone who grew up around Chinese folks who learned English as a second language, Lee's English is pretty solid. He has some syntax and grammatical problems but his accent isn't that bad and he probably has a very good command of technical language that he'd need as a director. "Brokeback" is, I think, his fifth English langugage film following Sense and Sensibility, Ice Storm, Ride WIth the Devil, The Hulk. At this point, I don't think you can really say there's anything that extraordinary about him directing English-speaking actors and getting good performances from him strictly given the linguistic issue.

I think the disconnect b/t Lee winning but Brokeback losing has to do with content, i.e. voters were ultimately too uncomfortable with the queerness of Brokeback to nod to the film but they recognized Lee deserves some shine as a director, especially given a solid track-record. Even if "The Hulk" did suck donkey balls.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I thought Ken Turan in the LA Times had an interesting analysis: Brokeback lost because ultimately, voters' latent homophobia prevented them from acknowledging that they might like the film. It's not like he offers empircal proof but he thought "Crash" was the "safer" choice and so far, that seems to wash with conventional wisdom.

I think there is something to this. Although probably less homophobia than being chicken shit of the right wing attack machine.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    2) Sorry to come in late on Gambit's early comment but Ang Lee used an intepreter on "Sense and Sensibility" - I'm not as certain if he still uses one now. If you know otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing a story that confirms it. As someone who grew up around Chinese folks who learned English as a second language, Lee's English is pretty solid. He has some syntax and grammatical problems but his accent isn't that bad and he probably has a very good command of technical language that he'd need as a director. "Brokeback" is, I think, his fifth English langugage film following Sense and Sensibility, Ice Storm, Ride WIth the Devil, The Hulk. At this point, I don't think you can really say there's anything that extraordinary about him directing English-speaking actors and getting good performances from him strictly given the linguistic issue.
    Thanks for that. I knew I wasn't crazy. I found the interpreter element was interesting, that's all. There are folks of other nationalities that direct English-speaking films and they're good. I marvel in genius from time to time and want to know how shit's done.
    I still wouldn't put it pass the Academy to have the mindset that I presented. They do well with them presenting awards and not needing to give reason, ya know? "We voted on it." Sure!

• From a Slate.com article about watching the Oscars...
    re: Crash
    "Welcome to the best movie of the year for people who like to say, 'A lot of my best friends are black.' "
    -Scott Foundas, LA Weekly

GAME THE FUCK OVER!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just saw Constant Gardener last night. Good film with a great performance by Rachel Weisz and some incredible photogrpahy. Plot got a little simplistic once Weisz died but otherwise a yeoman effort. More enjoyable than CRASH by a long shot.