Austin Record Fair countdown

coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
one month till the "big show"which strutters will be making an appearance ??aleit & i will be holding down a table(near rockadelic if that tool dh read my request)& i know that nrich, djcoolhands, hobo d & lotusland will be aroundwho else is going to showi think i know where a party might be at ............

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    *Possible*

Looking into it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yup.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'll be there with my daughter(s), brother and his buddy from San Diego.....I know Mr. ShowandTell will be there and C**lCH**s.....Scott & Steve with the magic bubble machine and some Volcanic action......Hoover's Friday Night.....T*m you HAVE to make dinner this time....looks like we'll be at the Extended Stay Inn at I-35 & Rundburg.

I'll be down next weekend for some High School Basketball action and to clean up at Antones before the show.....oh yeah, I better eat at Hoovers next week just to make sure it's still up to par!!

See you in a month!!!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    .I know Mr. ShowandTell will be there and C**lCH**s.....

..Scott & Steve with the magic bubble machine and some Volcanic action...

...Hoover's Friday Night.....T*m you HAVE to make dinner this time...See you in a month!!!

would not miss it for anything !!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    ..Scott & Steve with the magic bubble machine and some Volcanic action......
    i'm cueing up the best disco "nuggets" i can find specifically for scott.

.T*m you HAVE to make dinner this time....

chicken fried chicken comes highly recommended.

I'll be down next weekend for some High School Basketball action and to clean up at Antones before the show.....oh yeah, I better eat at Hoovers next week just to make sure it's still up to par!!

i think i'll miss you rich. i'm leaving town on Friday afternoon. give me a call if you're coming in earlier than then.

• Hells yeah! I'm countin' the days myself. I'll be the one tailgating in the parking lot all weekend w/ a big Gene Pontecorvo banner.

For real though, keep fools updated on all happenings.

Note to self: must hit up Antone's a couple more times before Rich hits town.

What happens on Fridays? I'm gonna take the day off this year and pay the $25 for the "early entry". Are people just getting set-up on Fridays or what? Is it all about the "parking lot trading scene"?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    [quote

What happens on Fridays? I'm gonna take the day off this year and pay the $25 for the "early entry". Are people just getting set-up on Fridays or what? Is it all about the parking lot trading scene?
    definitely get there for early day. friday is the day. no bargains but bins are fresh. and get there before the doors open to scope the lot. i know i'll be there.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Please somebody pick up that Window lp for me. Thank you.

• What happens on Fridays? I'm gonna take the day off this year and pay the $25 for the "early entry". Are people just getting set-up on Fridays or what? Is it all about the "parking lot trading scene"?

definitely get there for early day. friday is the day. no bargains but bins are fresh. and get there before the doors open to scope the lot. i know i'll be there.

Cool, thanks for info, ari and coffin too. I figured Friday is the day to find tough records and Sunday is the day to pick the bones of desperation. What up on Saturday? I guess that's the day y'all cats with real records make y'alls money. That's the day I'll be grillin and drinkin in the parking lot.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    i wish, but someone say "was'up" to Dr. D for me. he should be there.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    and Sunday is the day to pick the bones of desperation.

my bestest find was late sunday afternoon,
    in a box that rockadelic's bro was suppose to have already checked out

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I reserved a table today, so count me in. Coming down with my 6 month pregnant wifey, so you can't miss us! Time to loosen up some room in the casa to prepare for the young man's arrival

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    hell yes! I'm counting down the days.

Dave and I will have a table slanging raers and such.
    I will have a ton of affordable disco, boogie, modern 12"s $5-20, some soul, jazz medium things. All affordable.

T**, did you get your table confrimation back yet?

SO STOKED. Pointman & other elusive Houstonites/Austinites will be there.
    Hookup needs to get out there.

who else?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

I've got a spare if you are seriously interested. PM me

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    and Sunday is the day to pick the bones of desperation.

my bestest find was late sunday afternoon,
    in a box that rockadelic's bro was suppose to have already checked out

My best finds are ALWAYS on Sunday....one year I found a stoopid rare 10" Latvian Garage Psych LP "The Dundurs" late Sunday for $20.00......scored "Willis Caswell" last spring on Sunday.....Friday is good too though......Found East Of Underground for $10 last Spring late Friday....basically if you dig you will find!!

• Please somebody pick up that Window lp for me. Thank you.

I've got a spare if you are seriously interested. PM me

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

got one for you, sir. pm if interested. clean copy.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Yes. Yes.
    I will be in Austin Thursday night for the show but I have to leave town right after Saturday digging for a gig I have that same night.

For those looking for some trouble to get into Friday night in Austin, here is where you're supposed to be that night. You can see how us Texas Funk collectors hold it down, I highly suggest you out of towners check this out. Hopefully some fresh aquisitions will be heard from the day's pillages.

WAXPLOITATION! DJs
    present

***A SOUL HAPPENING***

5 DJs spinning the rarest, heaviest Funk, Soul & Boogaloo 45???s all nite long
    with your Maestro of Ceremonies: OBATALLAH

Friday March 31st Austin, Texas
    @
    Red???s Scoot Inn
    (1308 East 4th Street near Navasota ??? four blocks east of I-35)

$$$ NO COVER ALL NITE LONG $$$
    9:30 till who knows?

GET DOWN all nite long as Little Danny, The Soul Bandit, Greg Most, Dr.
    Rhythm and the Pointman Brett Koshkin bring you the hardest, heaviest Soul, Funk & Boogaloo ever pressed in wax!

WAXPLOITATION! DJs brave the dustiest basements, darkest alleys and shadiest underworld figures to unearth THE ORIGINAL GET DOWN SOUNDS. The SUPER FUNK SOUND! The RAW SOUL of the American Ghettoes of yesteryear. The sound that time cannot hold back!

PLUS your Maestro of Ceremonies: born, raised and educated in
    Harlem, NYC...a man who was on the scene then and MAKES THE SCENE today...
    OBATALLAH presides over the dance floor all nite long! Red???s has the Coldest beer on the East Side & set ups available at 2 bars all nite long!

Explosive grooves + get down sounds = YOUR SOUL SATISFACTION! Don???t miss the Soul Party that???s blown more minds than a bucket of LSD!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    oops. didn't see nrich's post.

start with him.

MeatyAndrew - CALLL MEEE PLAYA. i didn't know you were coming down.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    will and I are making our flight arrangements right now.I'm really looking forward to this one!Got some tasty records for trade,and a couple special ones for hazy hotel room consumption.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Question: Is smoking banned in Austin bars and restaurants? If not, then I will regretfully not be able to attend any of the happenings, as I will be travelling with pregnant wife.

Can't wait to get down n dirtayy

Ale-ari - I'll contact you manana... I'm exhausted at the moment.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    I was going to go on the lurky tip but Word! I've been wanting to go for years and this is my year, copped my tickets last month? I just need to book my room... What Hotel yall stayn at? No doubt I'm always willing to learn maybe some of you guys can show me the ropes and point out fresh treats... Man I wasn't even tryin to think about it cause I didn't want to get to excited but dude I'm hype!

• man..how i can i be down?!

• dude its easy. just show up with some private press items and a bag of weed. see you there. maybe.

• ok.

who wants to split a hotel room. i don't snore, nawmean?

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Just show up at LAX do 50 push ups narrow and they for sure will let you on the plane, it's worked for me many times, that or maybe you can tell them about your trip to Peru and how you got flea bites all over your body when you got back and how custums broke your wax thinking the records had drugs in them.... Though that is probably one of the greatest record stories I've heard that and AP at the Whore house by records and Pink Taco's....

• ahh but that's not the whole story. you see the old partly blind dude who those records came from supposedly jumped into the fire that his records burned in after they bulldozed his street full of vinyl in an attempt to clean up downtown. And no my parents were not happy about the flea infested berber carpet at all when I came back to the USA. At all.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Question: Is smoking banned in Austin bars and restaurants? If not, then I will regretfully not be able to attend any of the happenings, as I will be travelling with pregnant wife.

In Austin you would sooner go to jail for lighting a smoke than you would a joint. You can't smoke in any restaurants or bars in the city at all. The Waxploitation show Friday is however at a outdoors venue.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    My Attendance is mandatory...just spoke to coffinjoe about it yesterday so I'll definitely be there. I'm down with buying a beer for any cool SS'ers there.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

In Austin you would sooner go to jail for lighting a smoke than you would a joint. You can't smoke in any restaurants or bars in the city at all. The Waxploitation show Friday is however at a outdoors venue.

Go to jail? Noone's going to jail for smoking in Austin. Plenty of bars still don't really enforce the smoking ban.

But to answer the original question...yes, there are plenty of smoke-free, baby-safe spots in town.