early crew names

TSGTSG 274 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
i was just revisiting the battle sounds jammie and q-bert mentioned his crew used to be called Audio Visual and MMM's crew was Creative Images or some shit like that.then i saw that unidentified mixtape with Select Personnel Prod. and got to thinking of initial names of groups and old school posses. Organized being called the Simply Too Positive mc's is one the worst i've heard. i know yall got some more...share some hilarity.

Comments

• Poetical prophets to Mobb Deep is a funny one too. How do you think that conversation went?

• The Alkaholiks = E.S.P.
    Kid N Play = Fresh Force.
    The Fat Boys = Disco 3.
    Mass Influence = Ya'll So Stupid.
    Naughty by Nature = The New Style
    Public Enemy = Spectrum City

Ego Trip book probably has this section...

• Kid N Play = Fresh Force.

This was actually 2 crews. Kid was in a group called the Turnout Brothers

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Slum Village used to call themselves "Senepod" (dopeness spelled backwards).

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    senepod!

i'm looking for lesser known names from around the way, too...old crews you were in, etc.

• Kid N Play = Fresh Force.

This was actually 2 crews. Kid was in a group called the Turnout Brothers

Oohh. But no recorded material? Well done..

My first hip hop crew was Tactical Response. We were big "Britcore" fans.
    We changed our name to Noble Savages & only managed to release an 8 track EP on cassette in the early 90s

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i was just revisiting the battle sounds jammie and q-bert mentioned his crew used to be called Audio Visual and MMM's crew was Creative Images or some shit like that.

Q-Bert's old crew was Live Style Productions, out SF/Daly City. Mike's was High Tech Sounds, out of Sacramento. DJ Apollo's was Unlimited Sounds, out of Daly City. DJ Shortkut's was Just 2 Hype, out of Daly City.

Here's three pages of old Bay Area mobile crew names, all out of SF/DC for the most part.

http://legionsofboom.com/2005/12/san-franciscodaly-city-business-cards.html

• ah, the rapping years....

let's see in '82 my crew was Devastating Two: we recorded one session rapping over "magic's wand", "rocking it" and Nice & Nasty 3's "holiday rap". I still rock that on semi reg in the whip...

then in '85 I started the 3D Crew (a.k.a 3RD Dimension): rocking shows, winning talents shows, much jheri curls and spiked belts/wristbands! Oh yeah, and Tom Macahn's (?) "wildstyle" shoes (quote: "we're a co' crush crew and you can't defeat us, wear wildstyle got tired of adidas")

Then in '87 started a new crew that we had the hardest time naming. One of the MCs that didn't stay in the group was pushing for Rose Productions. I didn't have anything better so I just rolled with it and we recorded one demo using that. Later to find out "Rose" was the name of his barber who he apparently had mad respect for...ha! Then at a late nite Mcdonalds parking lot "cipher" I was thinking of the perfect name to represent what I thought we were-old school but pushing the limits creatively and it popped in my head the perfect name, "WIldstyle". That's what I recorded most of my music under for years.

Around the same time as "WIldstyle" started I started my production company called Rage Productions and Rage Cage Studios.

In the early 90s when Wildstyle disolved I chilled for a couple years then came back with my last rap venture that I named "Savage Intellect"....

that's the crew name history.....

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    My first crew got called Walking Endustries. We had it from a kid who wasnt able to say the skatecompany name "World Industries" in the right way. He always said Walking Endustries. This became like a running joke, everbody said that and it stick with us 3 MC and 1 DJ crew. Our DJs name was Record Eliminator Paul because he needed only 5 minutes to put hiss noises on a record.

After a lot of changes in the crew DJ Lord Wax and me were the remaining members. We did a instrumental LP around 1996 which was downsized to an EP. The style was downbeat,trip hop, slow hiphop whatever you want to call it. After that we did severeal other records and remixes under this name till Walking Endustries as a crew faded out.

Funny thing is that this record is always coming back at me. But not from the hiphop side. Electronic people ask me for copies, electronic DJ queen Miss Kittin put one of our tracks on her Radio Caroline Vol. 1 compilation. House DJs Moonbootica sampled one of our tracks to produce their EP "Listen" out of it and I'm curious what will happen next.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Mass Influence = Ya'll So Stupid.

I thought H20 was the only one from YSS in Mass Influence. I didn't think Uncle Buck, Logic, or X were in MI at all... please correct me if i'm wrong.

• i'm looking for lesser known names from around the way, too...old crews you were in, etc.

before we landed at Litterthugz, we contemplated: The Hi-Five, The Pentagon, and Missouri Sound Machine.

• Hey Sir.
    You still need to send me dubs of all that shit you played me way back!
    Nikoless' crews/tapes were real bad!

My old ones:

HCG = Hip Club Groove (martime rap band with Corey from Trailer Park Boys, haha late 80s, early 90s).
    One Inch Punch (thing judgement night soundtrack materialearly-mid 90s).

• Hey Sir.
    You still need to send me dubs of all that shit you played me way back!
    Nikoless' crews/tapes were real bad!

My old ones:

HCG = Hip Club Groove (martime rap band with Corey from Trailer Park Boys, haha late 80s, early 90s).
    One Inch Punch (thing judgement night soundtrack materialearly-mid 90s).

ha! word, thanx. I acutally just converted the "Wildstyle Album" to my computer and been rocking it on CD for the first time...ha! I'll send you a disc. I gotta get your address hit me at [email]kevin@rhymesayers.com[/email] I need to call you anyway cause it's been a minute!!

• My brother, me, and some homies where in mobile dj crew called "Essence Of Sound" waaaaaaaaay back in the day. I was also in this rap group with my boy Hanni called "testing ground".

shudder

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Sureshot 2 MC's
    Devastating 2
    3/5 Of A Man
    AKA Soulman
    Soul Brothers No. 9
    Five Pillar Guerillas
    Terd Burglars Inc.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    senepod!

i'm looking for lesser known names from around the way, too...old crews you were in, etc.

Mad Lifted Crew
    Westend Crew (theres a record out called "Bosston Breaks" feat. General Levy on one track...270 copies pressed...)
    on a graff tip:
    Third Rail Surfers
    Uptown Bazerk Movement

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    ah, the rapping years....

let's see in '82 my crew was Devastating Two: we recorded one session rapping over "magic's wand", "rocking it" and Nice & Nasty 3's "holiday rap". I still rock that on semi reg in the whip...

then in '85 I started the 3D Crew (a.k.a 3RD Dimension): rocking shows, winning talents shows, much jheri curls and spiked belts/wristbands! Oh yeah, and Tom Macahn's (?) "wildstyle" shoes (quote: "we're a co' crush crew and you can't defeat us, wear wildstyle got tired of adidas")

Then in '87 started a new crew that we had the hardest time naming. One of the MCs that didn't stay in the group was pushing for Rose Productions. I didn't have anything better so I just rolled with it and we recorded one demo using that. Later to find out "Rose" was the name of his barber who he apparently had mad respect for...ha! Then at a late nite Mcdonalds parking lot "cipher" I was thinking of the perfect name to represent what I thought we were-old school but pushing the limits creatively and it popped in my head the perfect name, "WIldstyle". That's what I recorded most of my music under for years.

Around the same time as "WIldstyle" started I started my production company called Rage Productions and Rage Cage Studios.

In the early 90s when Wildstyle disolved I chilled for a couple years then came back with my last rap venture that I named "Savage Intellect"....

that's the crew name history.....

hey kevin, it's mike aka dj tanner the surgeon general.

that's what im sayin...that wildstyle joint maniac was the roughness. nice cuts, too.

and phill with terd burglars, inc. is pretty hysterical.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    i was just revisiting the battle sounds jammie and q-bert mentioned his crew used to be called Audio Visual and MMM's crew was Creative Images or some shit like that.

Q-Bert's old crew was Live Style Productions, out SF/Daly City. Mike's was High Tech Sounds, out of Sacramento. DJ Apollo's was Unlimited Sounds, out of Daly City. DJ Shortkut's was Just 2 Hype, out of Daly City.

Here's three pages of old Bay Area mobile crew names, all out of SF/DC for the most part.

http://legionsofboom.com/2005/12/san-franciscodaly-city-business-cards.html

dag, q-bert was way off then...the part i'm referring to is in the 'q-bert's evolution' portion of battle sounds where he's talking about his early battles vs. Mike.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I went back to my notes...

According to what Q-Bert told me, it was Mixmaster Mike who was a member of Audio Visual (this is when Mike was living in D.C. and friends with Apollo, who introduced him to Q.) Then Mike got offered the opportunity to take over Hi Tech out in Sac so he moved out there and was the main DJ for that crew for the next few years before coming back to SF/DC.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Sureshot 2 MC's
    Devastating 2
    3/5 Of A Man
    AKA Soulman
    Soul Brothers No. 9
    Five Pillar Guerillas
    Terd Burglars Inc.

Almost forgot, pre-dating all of those was The Canine Crew... all members took 2nd names after various pop culture or cartoon dogs (like Wu-Tang took Gambino names over a decade later). No rap music involved, this crew was only interested in hardcore MACKING, getting drunk and turning out parties. As second-in-command I was Deputy Dog. Others included Huckleberry Hound, Doggie Daddy, Marmaduke, Snoopy. My cousin, the ass-kicker of the crew, was Cujo.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    I went back to my notes...

According to what Q-Bert told me, it was Mixmaster Mike who was a member of Audio Visual (this is when Mike was living in D.C. and friends with Apollo, who introduced him to Q.) Then Mike got offered the opportunity to take over Hi Tech out in Sac so he moved out there and was the main DJ for that crew for the next few years before coming back to SF/DC.

i thought i might have mixed the two up...

CANINE CREW!

• senepod!

My first crew was Blow 4 Blow(no Homo). 3 dj's and 2 MC's. I left that crew to join DSI,did some demos and stuff. they were signed by Jerry Bloodrock(early hip-hop DJ) and I left because they were corny. I resurrected the Blow 4 Blow name, got another MC and DJ and we made a split EP with some cats frome Harlem. After that I went solo and started making moves with these kids from Queens and we called ourselves L.I.F.E . I liked the solo thing , so I put out a 12" under my name, Chill Divine. Bit of misfortune, a young MC named Bobby G decided he liked my name and changed his to Chill Rob G. And whenever I went to look for a deal, people thought I was unoriginal.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    senepod!

My first crew was Blow 4 Blow(no Homo). 3 dj's and 2 MC's. I left that crew to join DSI,did some demos and stuff. they were signed by Jerry Bloodrock(early hip-hop DJ) and I left because they were corny. I resurrected the Blow 4 Blow name, got another MC and DJ and we made a split EP with some cats frome Harlem. After that I went solo and started making moves with these kids from Queens and we called ourselves L.I.F.E . I liked the solo thing , so I put out a 12" under my name, Chill Divine. Bit of misfortune, a young MC named Bobby G decided he liked my name and changed his to Chill Rob G. And whenever I went to look for a deal, people thought I was unoriginal.

long live the lyrical!

that's an unfortunately dope mc who decided to take the chill...thanks for sharing that...mad interesting.

• senepod!

long live the lyrical!

that's an unfortunately dope mc who decided to take the chill...thanks for sharing that...mad interesting.

Damn, you got that?

I didn't think anyone on here had my raers.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    yeah, you'll be surprised how many know of this record.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Back around 1980, this cat would come around my way w/ tapes. He claimed to be a part of THE HOMICIDE 5. Probably just some local mofos, but that name still gets me open.

• Sureshot 2 MC's
    Devastating 2
    3/5 Of A Man
    AKA Soulman
    Soul Brothers No. 9
    Five Pillar Guerillas
    Terd Burglars Inc.

hmmmm....we may have to travel back in time and battle for the "devastating two" name. How about you pull out your devastating two demo and I pull out my demo and battle...ha! mine is actually pretty bad but it's so "cute" with my 12 year old "between demo commentary"...guaranteed to get the ladies vote...ha!

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    Back around 1980, this cat would come around my way w/ tapes. He claimed to be a part of THE HOMICIDE 5. Probably just some local mofos, but that name still gets me open.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    bump!

• Speaking of the Skratch Piklz, were all three of 'em in FM2000 (or something like that)? Or just Q-Bert? I remember reading about that group in Urb back in the day. Never heard any of their output though...