Slate article on Clipse/Crack Music

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Fair enough.

Tepid.
    m*rk, please stop.

(Okay, I'll stop now.)

PLEASE STOP in your "please stop" mockery.

D*n**l is on the verge of tears. Please allow him to rebuild his looking down at others persona so he can make "intelligent" insults and put others down in a much more comfortable enviroment.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

What do you think of that Clipse article, though?

It was a nifty lil read. Nothing groundbreaking, but it served it purpose for the intended audience.

• Not to distract from the squirrel chase that this thread is obviously and unfortunately destined to become

Seems like a thinly veiled diss if you ask me. Totally unnecessary at that point in the thread. Only a few posts in...
    By the time I posted, at least half of the posts thus far had been snipes at blaz that didn't have shit to do with shit. I like that article, and am interested in hearing what folks have to say about it, and didn't want to see shit devolve into a bunch of dudes using their breath for doing nothing but blowing the dust off of Ye Olde Balz Disses.

then there's this wisdom nugget:

Nah, dude: Slim Young Bun is what's really got the carpetbaggers munchin'.

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Two things about that. It almost, if not entirely, assumes that the rappers that you are referring to are only appreciated and recently popular because of outside influences on their markets. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.
    Well, that was really just me goofing on names (I wouldn't consider Slim or Bun part of the "crack rap" conversation anyway), but the fact that you read that "only" in there says more about you than about me.

and the "tiny lister represent" statement... pure ass.
    I won't pretend to be intimately familiar with his catalog, but I've yet to hear a Bun B track where he wasn't the best thing on it. Dude consistently kills it. That doesn't change the fact that your man looks mad cockeyed in that particular picture. I think it's the hat.

Listen, I sincerely appreciate the fact that you ride so hard for yours--I prefer that all day to dudes who are too cool to be bothered--but you'd do well to 1) get some thicker skin and 2) not settle for being "pretty sure."

What do you think of that Clipse article, though?

COT DAMN!

• I think this is where I say, "please stop."

your 2 posts ahead of yourself.

True, true--forgive me, I just couldn't wait to unload that tepid cashless-ism; I don't think that I could even conceive of a response more annoying than, "please stop."

Rey, don't be an ass.

Identifying cashless as the only dude on the board sufficiently "annoying" to draw you out from behind your curtain of irony is not a good look at all. He's one of the board's more valuable contributors.

Valuable meaning entertaining, right?

If I've annoyed Rey AND[/b] Guzzo in any capacity, then my job is done. I will not... stop... please.

It's like you read the back cover of Gary Webb's Dark Alliance. Uncanny. great insight, I don't think anyone else has ever thought of this, much less lived it. I wonder what "Freeway" Ricky Ross thinks about your theory?

Novel idea Blaz. You're very connected to the streets I see.

again i don't read conspiracy theories (i don't know any of the names you mentioned). but still, its a strange coincidence that i can turn on my tv at 4pm and see a self proclaimed snowman trying to sell me clothes, cars, jewellry and his cd. yet the police on my block are arresting little black youths when they're not the ones that brought the shit into this country, and they're not the ones that are making huge bank off an ounce of yeyo.

don't thank god for caine, if it wasn't for the neptunes your rhymes would sound like this

i'm connected enough to the streets to know that royalties off a justin timberlake hit will get you more bank than chopping powder. and the people that are on the streets chopping every day (for real, not for show), they'd rather be making music and flossing legal money.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Juvenile's new song which seems to suggest that Katrina justifies the cooking up of crack.
    "we take the pyrex and then rock with it, roll with it"

"Get ya hustle on" is different from the rest in that it advocates that a specific type of individual, Katrina evacuees, sell cooked crack coke instead of waiting for their useless state and federal governments to offer assistane. This song is just generally a bad look, except for that it's jamming as fuck.

It's an article within itself.

Mentioning buying buying "coca-ina" with your "check from FEMA" =

See, to me this comes back to how strongly you feel over whether making an observation about something (which Juve is definitely doing) is the same thing as advocating it. After all, how deep can you get into the moral issues of a given topic over the duration of a three-minute rap song? We're not exactly in the same realm as "The Wire" here. I take your broader point, though, and I agree that "Get Ya Hustle On" is one of the banginest songs out right now. Rhyming "coca-ina" with "FEMA" is still pretty inspired whichever way you slice it.

Juvenile's new song which seems to suggest that Katrina justifies the cooking up of crack.

"Get ya hustle on" is different from the rest in that it advocates that a specific type of individual, Katrina evacuees, sell cooked crack coke instead of waiting for their useless state and federal governments to offer assistane. This song is just generally a bad look, except for that it's jamming as fuck.

See, to me this comes back to how strongly you feel over whether making an observation about something (which Juve is definitely doing) is the same thing as advocating it. After all, how deep can you get into the moral issues of a given topic over the duration of a three-minute rap song? We're not exactly in the same realm as "The Wire" here. I take your broader point, though, and I agree that "Get Ya Hustle On" is one of the banginest songs out right now. Rhyming "coca-ina" with "FEMA" is still pretty inspired whichever way you slice it.

I can feel your point about observation over advocacy, even though some of the lyrics are fairly "instructional". I never believed in an artists place in policing morality or even pushing any kind of moral agenda. Not that they don't have the right to do it, it's just not their responsibilty if they choose not to.

but banging? yessir.

It's like you read the back cover of Gary Webb's Dark Alliance. Uncanny. great insight, I don't think anyone else has ever thought of this, much less lived it. I wonder what "Freeway" Ricky Ross thinks about your theory?

Novel idea Blaz. You're very connected to the streets I see.

again i don't read conspiracy theories (i don't know any of the names you mentioned). but still, its a strange coincidence that i can turn on my tv at 4pm and see a self proclaimed snowman trying to sell me clothes, cars, jewellry and his cd. yet the police on my block are arresting little black youths when they're not the ones that brought the shit into this country, and they're not the ones that are making huge bank off an ounce of yeyo.

don't thank god for caine, if it wasn't for the neptunes your rhymes would sound like this

i'm connected enough to the streets to know that royalties off a justin timberlake hit will get you more bank than chopping powder. and the people that are on the streets chopping every day (for real, not for show), they'd rather be making music and flossing legal money.

You don't read conspiracy theories, yet you come up with them?

Go get "dark alliance" by Gary Webb. Be glad you're in Canada, your name won't go on some list for buying it or checking it out from the library. For real, check that shit out. At the very least you'll feel validated. You were on the right track, just that.. man, that shit ain't news to nobody.

• I think Gary Webb just "died" within the past year. I guess they thought it had been long enough that no one would notice.

I think Gary Webb just "died" within the past year. I guess they thought it had been long enough that no one would notice.

Yeah, about a year ago. Official reports say he committed suicide.

wiki wiki wiki wiki

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I think Gary Webb just "died" within the past year. I guess they thought it had been long enough that no one would notice.

wiki wiki wiki wiki

Yeah, "suicide"...that's the ticket.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    not really a conspiracy book a la "Pale Horse" and whatnot.

But, this book is pretty awesome.

wiki wiki wiki wiki

Yeah, "suicide"...that's the ticket.

Not only that, Los Angeles Sheriff's department investigators found that there was no CIA connection to crack in LA. Case closed. What other evidence do you need that there is not a conspiracy OR a cover-up than to have an LA Sheriff's department investigation. Case closed.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

wiki wiki wiki wiki

Completely off-topic, but that would be funny if Wikipedia used the "Wiki-Wiki Song" as the intro to their company-wide presentations.

P.S. It's a shame the way Webb was ostracized by his paper for articles greenlighted and published by the very same paper.

wiki wiki wiki wiki

Completely off-topic, but that would be funny if Wikipedia used the "Wiki-Wiki Song" as the intro to their company-wide presentations.

The "wiki-wiki song"? I was referring to "Jam on it" by Nucleus. What is the "wiki wiki song"?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

wiki wiki wiki wiki

The "wiki-wiki song"? I was referring to "Jam on it" by Nucleus. What is the "wiki wiki song"?

One in the samme.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Another Newcleus record they did just before Jam On It.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    So Cashless I'm confused.

You've championed rappers making tracks about selling crack within their communities but you also believe that the CIA put crack in the inner cities as well.

How do you justify celebrating crack sales while saying it was brought in to destroy people?

You've championed rappers making tracks about selling crack within their communities but you also believe that the CIA put crack in the inner cities as well.

How do you justify celebrating crack sales while saying it was brought in to destroy people?

please stop.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

please stop.

this is a serious question. Can you not answer it? if not than I'd suggest that you might want to follow some of your own advice

Guzzo, how about you read what I write instead going off what you THINK I'm about?

I can feel your point about observation over advocacy, even though some of the lyrics are fairly "instructional". I never believed in an artists place in policing morality or even pushing any kind of moral agenda. Not that they don't have the right to do it, it's just not their responsibilty if they choose not to.[/b]

but banging? yessir.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Guzzo, how about you read what I write instead going off what you THINK I'm about?

I can feel your point about observation over advocacy, even though some of the lyrics are fairly "instructional". I never believed in an artists place in policing morality or even pushing any kind of moral agenda. Not that they don't have the right to do it, it's just not their responsibilty if they choose not to.[/b]

but banging? yessir.

once again you give a mixed message. You state they reserve the right to give advice on selling crack. You say its messed up but say its ok.

how do you justify that?

but banging? yessir.

once again you give a mixed message. You state they reserve the right to give advice on selling crack. You say its messed up but say its ok.

how do you justify that?

You're not worth my time explaining. AND you understand my point. So...

please stop.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

Is it impossible for one to like a work of art, even if one does not approve of the reality that it discusses, portrays or acts out?

Article was good reading by the way.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Is it impossible for one to like a work of art, even if one does not approve of the reality that it discusses, portrays or acts out?

Article was good reading by the way.

I think people like art that they find problematic all the time - on a basic level, you can't always help what sparks a reaction from you on an emotional level, even if, intellectually, you think it's problematic.

This said, I don't think artists are obligated to hold up some kind of ethical standard. However, I also think it's perfectly fair for us, as listeners, to criticize an artist for lax ethical standards. I celebrate crack rap even while I find it problematic.

Contradictory? Sure. But most everything about pop culture involves contradictions.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

but banging? yessir.

how do you justify that?

please stop.

If I understood your point I wouldn't be asking. My guess is you have no justification cause your replies of "please stop" are all you seem to have.

If you can't explain why you feel that its wrong yet somehow rappers reserve the right to go ahead and preach how you should slang than perhaps you should "please stop" speaking on the subject.

you brought a (double edged) knife to a gun fight and now I'm asking you why your cutting everything in sight while your view is being shot up.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I feel certain Guzz is pulling his pud while he's typing these posts...

but banging? yessir.

how do you justify that?

please stop.

If I understood your point I wouldn't be asking. My guess is you have no justification cause your replies of "please stop" are all you seem to have.

If you can't explain why you feel that its wrong yet somehow rappers reserve the right to go ahead and preach how you should slang than perhaps you should "please stop" speaking on the subject.

you brought a (double edged) knife to a gun fight and now I'm asking you why your cutting everything in sight while your view is being shot up.

Aren't you the same guy that celebrates Project Blowed's entire catalogue, but cries like a bitch when your car gets broken into? How gangster is that?

You're corny beyond words.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

how do you justify that?

please stop.

Aren't you the same guy that celebrates Project Blowed's entire catalogue, but cries like a bitch when your car gets broken into? How gangster is that?

You're corny beyond words.

Never said I celebrated Project Blowed catalogue, actually time after time I've mentioned how corny I think most of it is. (are you paying attention or just generalizing)

But, as per your stantdard tactics you run away from the question and try to duck behind a wall of insults instead of answering.

Youre the one who called me out at the beginning of this thread. Now that I answered the call you ain't got shit to say about the issue?

[NBA ALL STAR WEEKEND] this is looking like a let down [/NBA ALL STAR WEEKEND]