Slate article on Clipse/Crack Music

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I liked the part at the end where it was signed Jonah Weiner.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Not to distract from the squirrel chase that this thread is obviously and unfortunately destined to become, but that article is actually really good.

contested

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

You know what? Upon revisiting the article I think you're right; while "really good" is probably overstating it, the article actually isn't bad.

My initial recation was probably due in equal parts to blogosphere-induced burnout on Clipse commentary and the author's use of the phrase "rap's minor leagues" in the opening paragraph.

Yeah, I take some minor issue with dude's tone (the opening paragraph, for example, tries to seem concise and informed, but instead comes off as curt and oversimplified), and I keep up with neither the Voice nor the blogosphere, so I don???t doubt at all that ODub and you are right about the relevancy/saturation shit.

Nonetheless, I think Weiner makes some really interesting points regarding the role that density can play in fully-dimensional, effective crack rap ("effective crack rap"? Jesus...). The trend with the raps these days seems to be progress in the opposite direction, with more spaciousness, slower flows, etc., and as a result, most attention ends up falling on rappers who--and I don't mean this as a dis, merely as a quantifiable--simply do not rap that much. Thus, I find it noteworthy to read a case being made for dudes who, though working essentially the same material as Juveezelz or whoever, instead make their impact "through sheer volume and detail."

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Don't you mean "Young Juveezelz"

lol

Nah, dude: Slim Young Bun is what's really got the carpetbaggers munchin'.

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Don't you mean:

Lil' Slim Young Bun
    ???

LOL

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Everything you've said today has been total ass.

• Don't you mean "Young Juveezelz"

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

uh oh dude. you just fucked up.

I declare a write-off between Weiner and Wang.

GO!

• I declare a write-off between Weiner and Wang.

GO!

"It's a Mother*BEEPIN* Write off!"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Why in 06 are people still writing about these has-beens.

You sound semi-erect. What's the problem, officer?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Yeah man, before you turn this into some stupid who's more down argument about dj rabid ric or some shit, you should know that james is way smarter than you.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    gettin off track here....

time to

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Yeah man, before you turn this into some stupid who's more down argument about dj rabid ric or some shit, you should know that james is way smarter than you.

Well, he's certainly the best writer on SoulStrut, but do we really know how smart he is?

Perhaps he is some sort of autistic literary savant whose sharp pen conceals a weak or erratic mind?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Well, he's certainly the best writer on SoulStrut, but do we really know how smart he is?

Perhaps he is some sort of autistic literary savant whose sharp pen conceals a weak or erratic mind?

if you read behind the lines you shall find the truth.

I almost went to law school too.

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Sorry if I don't hold the same level of respect. I say what I feel, regardless of who initiated it.

To everyone:
    Anyone who's caught me out in the world can vouch for the fact that I'm dumb as a box of hair, distracted by shiny things, and am only here because puddingstrut.com exceeded its bandwidth, so please save that shit. I don't need your charity.

And to you:
    I say what I feel, regardless of who initiated it.

That's admirable, but you really haven't said shit. Again: What's the problem?

What's the problem?

Everything in this thread that you wrote prior to reflecting shit back to me was ass. Sorry.

Self fulfilling exhibit A:

Not to distract from the squirrel chase that this thread is obviously and unfortunately destined to become

Seems like a thinly veiled diss if you ask me. Totally unnecessary at that point in the thread. Only a few posts in...

then there's this wisdom nugget:

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Two things about that. It almost, if not entirely, assumes that the rappers that you are referring to are only appreciated and recently popular because of outside influences on their markets. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.

and the "tiny lister represent" statement... pure ass.

now what were you saying?

• Everybody stfu and let jdeez post that pic of his grill.

• What's the problem?

Everything in this thread that you wrote prior to reflecting shit back to me was ass. Sorry.

Not to distract from the squirrel chase that this thread is obviously and unfortunately destined to become

Seems like a thinly veiled diss if you ask me. Totally unnecessary at that point in the thread. Only a few posts in...

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Two things about that. It almost, if not entirely, assumes that the rappers that you are referring to are only appreciated and recently popular because of outside influences on their markets. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.

SENSITIVE.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

What's the problem?

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

SENSITIVE.

RACIST

• I think this is where I say, "please stop."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think this is where I say, "please stop."

your 2 posts ahead of yourself.

First I need to flip out a little more

than I need to bite back with another racist claim

then you tell me to please stop.

I say we break up the monotany of the same old same old

How do you feel about Nicolette Sheridan

By the time I posted, at least half of the posts thus far had been snipes at blaz that didn't have shit to do with shit. I like that article, and am interested in hearing what folks have to say about it, and didn't want to see shit devolve into a bunch of dudes using their breath for doing nothing but blowing the dust off of Ye Olde Balz Disses.

TINY LISTER REPRESENT

Well, that was really just me goofing on names (I wouldn't consider Slim or Bun part of the "crack rap" conversation anyway), but the fact that you read that "only" in there says more about you than about me.

I won't pretend to be intimately familiar with his catalog, but I've yet to hear a Bun B track where he wasn't the best thing on it. Dude consistently kills it. That doesn't change the fact that your man looks mad cockeyed in that particular picture. I think it's the hat.

Listen, I sincerely appreciate the fact that you ride so hard for yours--I prefer that all day to dudes who are too cool to be bothered--but you'd do well to 1) get some thicker skin and 2) not settle for being "pretty sure."

What do you think of that Clipse article, though?

• I think this is where I say, "please stop."

True, true--forgive me, I just couldn't wait to unload that tepid cashless-ism; I don't think that I could even conceive of a response more annoying than, "please stop."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think this is where I say, "please stop."

True, true--forgive me, I just couldn't wait to unload that tepid cashless-ism; I don't think that I could even conceive of a response more annoying than, "please stop."

Rey, don't be an ass.

Identifying cashless as the only dude on the board sufficiently "annoying" to draw you out from behind your curtain of irony is not a good look at all. He's one of the board's more valuable contributors.

• Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Tepid.

• Fair enough.

Tepid.
    m*rk, please stop.

(Okay, I'll stop now.)

OK, since nobody is thinking my jokes are funny and I'm starved for attention I will give an honest review of that article.

A good writer can make something I'm completely uninterested in and make it interesting. Or, maybe make me want to check out something I wouldn't normally be interested in listening to.

This article did neither, so it looks like it neither appealed towards diehard fakedy thug fans or the "un-initiated" (if you will). And real crack dealers are too busy dealing crack, so their opinion of the article is nil.

To compare, I've read a lot of stuff by Oliver thats made me think "hey, I'd kinda like to hear that".

Therefore, in the Wang vs. Weiner write-off, O-dub wins and Weiner is a complete failure in life and should suffer my wrath by being forced to live in Texas, (DFW, to be specific) which is the cruelest punishment I could inflict upon a person.