Slate article on Clipse/Crack Music

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
This may touch off another Young Jeezian 8-pager, but here is a slate.com article on the Clipse and they're attachment to Crack Rap.http://www.slate.com/id/2136955/Some of it is interesting, and some of it is garbage (talk of "dense moments and ambiguous use of the pronoun 'you'" gets silly) but check it out.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Good stuff.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Paging Guzzo.

nice article. my theory is that cocaine and drugs in general are directly funding government programs, like the cia and all other secret police services etc etc, that are not funded through taxes. sure some people are making a living off it, but nothing compared to the people higher up. plus money can be laundered easily by purchasing stocks. so really drugs are untouchable, and even more so i think they are encouraged, by the people in power, and are a very important factor in keeping the general public submissive, keeping the economy going etc etc...
    i don't know. i'm not that well read on the topic these are just some assumptions, i'd be interested to hear what others have to say..

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    nice article. my theory is that cocaine and drugs in general are directly funding government programs, like the cia and all other secret police services etc etc, that are not funded through taxes. sure some people are making a living off it, but nothing compared to the people higher up. plus money can be laundered easily by purchasing stocks. so really drugs are untouchable, and even more so i think they are encouraged, by the people in power, and are a very important factor in keeping the general public submissive, keeping the economy going etc etc...
    i don't know. i'm not that well read on the topic these are just some assumptions, i'd be interested to hear what others have to say..

...and the government bankrolls the Clipse too, no doubt.

It's like you read the back cover of Gary Webb's Dark Alliance. Uncanny. great insight, I don't think anyone else has ever thought of this, much less lived it. I wonder what "Freeway" Ricky Ross thinks about your theory?

Novel idea Blaz. You're very connected to the streets I see.

It's like you read the back cover of Gary Webb's Dark Alliance. Uncanny. great insight, I don't think anyone else has ever thought of this, much less lived it. I wonder what "Freeway" Ricky Ross thinks about your theory?

...and the stockmarket, too, apparently.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Not to distract from the squirrel chase that this thread is obviously and unfortunately destined to become, but that article is actually really good.

Not to distract from the squirrel chase that this thread is obviously and unfortunately destined to become, but that article is actually really good.

contested

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

contested

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

...and the stockmarket, too, apparently.

Come on, this is right out of any david icke, Alex Jones, William Cooper crazy conspiracy book.

Its also absolutely true! But the bigger secret is that they have been using this money to fund a secret war with ALIENS.

But the alien war is just another aspect of the illusory matrix that keeps us in world prison, as the REAL aliens have been living among us since sumarian times. They shapeshift into human form to become societies elite and then hold elaborate satanic (yes the aliens are also satanic) rituals with human sacrifice and virgin blood drinking in northern california.

Which means by extension...

=

Evil reptilians took over rap after the early 90's and switched it all up to suit their agenda. I heard they also hate jazz loops.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hahaha excellent!

The article is good though. Faux, stop hatting for a moment and smell the truth! Don't inhale though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have to say: I'm just surprised Slate greenlit this considering that the Village Voice has already run THREE articles on crack rap since early January and the Clipse mixtape is, what? Six months old now? It might have seemed relevant to include more discussion of Jeezy or Juelz, or hell, even Juvenile's new song which seems to suggest that Katrina justifies the cooking up of crack.

"we take the pyrex and then rock with it, roll with it"

• I have to say: I'm just surprised Slate greenlit this considering that the Village Voice has already run THREE articles on crack rap since early January and the Clipse mixtape is, what? Six months old now? It might have seemed relevant to include more discussion of Jeezy or Juelz, or hell, even Juvenile's new song which seems to suggest that Katrina justifies the cooking up of crack.

Slate's music coverage has been weird of late...anyone see the Bob Marley article last week, about how "Legend" and white-frat-guys have distorted his musical legacy? I mean, it wasn't without merit, but what was the motivation behind running that?

I do think that Slate, being a fairly mainstream media outlet, can get a late pass, ie., their audience may not have read everything in the Village Voice. And I do think that said W. Post-owned ezine covering a mixtape is pretty cool.

The current glorification of crack rap is a whole 'nother issue that can come out of this. but, that was fairly solidly covered in the Young Jeezy-cloaking oneself in crack rap to seem harder conversation.

edit:grammar

• -

• CLabCLab 76 Posts

contested

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

The name Malicious
    And I burn every track
    Clipse and J. Timberlake
    Now how heavy is that?

Then he goes silent. It's probably the most haunting moment on the album.

Jonah Weiner

Juvenile's new song which seems to suggest that Katrina justifies the cooking up of crack.

"Get ya hustle on" is different from the rest in that it advocates that a specific type of individual, Katrina evacuees, sell cooked crack coke instead of waiting for their useless state and federal governments to offer assistane. This song is just generally a bad look, except for that it's jamming as fuck.

It's an article within itself.

Mentioning buying buying "coca-ina" with your "check from FEMA" =

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If this were a Dead Prez song, they'd be talking about how you can use fake SS #s to pile up the FEMA checks.

contested

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

The name Malicious
    And I burn every track
    Clipse and J. Timberlake
    Now how heavy is that?

Then he goes silent. It's probably the most haunting moment on the album.

Contested.

This is more haunting:

We could ride around, pumpin' N.E.R.D. in the deck
    Funny how a few words turn into sex...

contested

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

You know what? Upon revisiting the article I think you're right; while "really good" is probably overstating it, the article actually isn't bad.

My initial recation was probably due in equal parts to blogosphere-induced burnout on Clipse commentary and the author's use of the phrase "rap's minor leagues" in the opening paragraph.

• Juvenile's new song which seems to suggest that Katrina justifies the cooking up of crack.

"Get ya hustle on" is different from the rest in that it advocates that a specific type of individual, Katrina evacuees, sell cooked crack coke instead of waiting for their useless state and federal governments to offer assistane. This song is just generally a bad look, except for that it's jamming as fuck.

It's an article within itself.

Mentioning buying buying "coca-ina" with your "check from FEMA" =

PAGING EMYND.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    i'm prepared to toss the baby out with the (crack) water just for the inclusion of "Then he goes silent. It's probably the most haunting moment on the album. "

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I like this:

In this way, Clipse leave those of us whose neighborhoods haven't been ravaged by crack to sit in the stench of our own voyeuristic enjoyment.

If this were a Dead Prez song, they'd be talking about how you can use fake SS #s to pile up the FEMA checks.

In the same way that people abused the welfare system? Great. welfare fraud = revolution

get free or die tryin, batches!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I like this:

In this way, Clipse leave those of us whose neighborhoods haven't been ravaged by crack to sit in the stench of our own voyeuristic enjoyment.

did he steal that from one of your diary entries?

I like this:

I'm sure you do--not only for the sentiment, but for the 'Shied-like turns of phrase.

"You can either get up on this Meat Beat Manifesto, or continue to putrefy in the stench of your own voyeuristic enjoyment"

I like this:

plaese to stop badgering the messiah, you pariah.

I keed, I keed.

I like this:

Lay your head on my pillow
    Here you can be yourself
    No one has to know what you are feeling
    No one but me and you (ooooo)

I won't tell your secrets
    Your secrets are safe with meeee
    I will keep, your secrets
    Just think of me as the pages in your diaryyyy

I feel such a connection
    Even when you're far away (mmmmm)
    Ohh baby if there is anything that you fear
    Call 489-4608, and I'll be here (here)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You're staring face to face with a man who writes his rhymes in blood.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I like this:

I'm sure you do--not only for the sentiment, but for the 'Shied-like turns of phrase.

"You can either get up on this Meat Beat Manifesto, or continue to putrefy in the stench of your own voyeuristic enjoyment"

lol @ Meat beat manifesto!

This article is okay. I like how they are amazed people are rapping about crack! Like its brand new or something.

Or the part where they explain what a "mixtape" is.