how many shops have closed in your city??

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
how many shops have closed in your area in the last 5 years??i've noticedin montreal- for sure i know of one, MARS, downtown. sure there were more.milwaukee- record head, great lakes (owner changed store was relocated)los angeles (last 5 months)- beat market, upon shop, arons, rhino.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    When I started collecting there were a good 12-15 shops in Orange County, CA - when I moved away last year there were like 3 or 4.

Where I currently live there are 2 shops - one is closing. One closed last year.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Damn, too many .

Street Dance Records, Loud Music, Baden Baden Records, The Other Music and Baryske to mention a few. Mostly stores carrying new releases. Not many places to get new shit now. Used vinyl is still going strong, although the news of Accord closing some of their stores could change this.

It's a shame.

• 2 were closed .........and 1 changed drastically after the spot was sold to another BOSS that is into 80's disco......

• milwaukee-

massive closed. mainly new hip hop, some reject pile used areas.

revolution- tripe.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

2 were closed .........and 1 changed drastically after the spot was sold to another BOSS that is into 80's disco......

Italy would be the best place in the world to be into 80s disco

• 3 stores. 2 Closing. 1 is shit.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This is why I wanted to get a legitimate list of record stores that are known in people's areas throughout the US and I got -0- from Chicago, Milwaukee, and the Midwest in general.
    Don't rep your local stores and feel the consequences.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    In Toronto,

Only two that matter! HA..

Mine & fellow strutter Tune Up!

Oh and Traxx downtown shut it's doors. Sad thing walking by there and seeing it as a quiznos sub. To this day it's painful. 25 years of selling a crazy amount of records.

• how many shops have closed in your area in the last 5 years??

Not enough!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    how many shops have closed in your area in the last 5 years??

Not enough!

hahaha!!!

• Over the past 5 years or so...

CLOSED
    Radio Free - Durham NC
    Poindexter - Durham NC
    Madd Waxx - Durham NC

OPENED
    Chaz's Bull City Music - Durham NC
    Offbeat Music - Durham NC

Pretty much a wash. None of the above spots were/are good for vintage vinyl anyway. Longtime local chain Nice Price Books is the only place to consistently cop decent used vinyl at a good price, and luckily they've got 3 locations and seem to be on good financial footing.

Plus we gained one new annual record show in Carrboro which tends to be a bit better than the 2 Showlogic shows that happen every 6 months in Raleigh & Greensboro.

At least the flea markets are still here. And I recently rediscovered a popular online phenomenon called eBay.

• Madd Waxx - Durham NC

A store with a name like this shouldn't have been permitted to open in the first place.

• ToddaTodda 33 Posts
    In the Twin Cities- Let it be, Root Cellar, Wide Angle, and Eclipse Records

• MARS was actually flipped on ebay. anyone catch the closing amount?

i was checking their description to see how they skidded around the whole 'contains toxic waste' part of the bargain.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    at my college town:
    3 closed down!!! 1 opened, but they don't sell used records. New vinyl, CDs and DVDs.

at my home town:
    3 closed down recently. 8-9 in the last ten years!!!!!!!!!

situation is getting worse and worse over here!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    MARS was actually flipped on ebay. anyone catch the closing amount?

i was checking their description to see how they skidded around the whole 'contains toxic waste' part of the bargain.

why did mars close down in the first place?

in mtl a shop moved and has nbever been the same (cheap thrills) a new one opened though and its ill. Dont know wassup with the st-denis lineup havent checked it for a while

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

in montreal- for sure i know of one, MARS, downtown. sure there were more.

There was Science, Zulu & Dutchy's (RIP) in the last 5 years. The first two didn't really have a chance, but Dutchy's was a great spot.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

There was Science, Zulu & Dutchy's (RIP) in the last 5 years. The first two didn't really have a chance, but Dutchy's was a great spot.

Yeah i remember science

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Yeah i remember science

There was also Rotation on Prince Arthur & a spot on St. Laurent that was kinda wack, but had a good rep from BITD. It was upstairs from a Second Cup. Most of these joints, tho, had lousy customer service & mega small selection. Wasn't a surprise to see them close.

• how many shops have closed in your area in the last 5 years??
    los angeles (last 5 months)- beat market, upon shop, arons, rhino.

JDC records (San Pedro) closed up shop as well. Jim's still doing distro in the back though. The front is now a dog grooming shop.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    MARS was actually flipped on ebay. anyone catch the closing amount?

I wonder - I bump into Crusty from time to time. He kept it open for a while because he worked out something with his landlord. Don't know what happened later.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Two places in Montreal I miss - Wow records (this was a great store. the only place in town you could cop good hip hop wax) & a store that was a breakaway of Taboo records. Can't remember the name. It was in the back of a cigar shop. They had great records.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Speaking about old record shops in Montreal. Anyone know what certain dudes are up to nowadayz?

Eddie Lewis or John (Old Tabou boss)?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    There were around 5-6 in Auckland when I moved here 4 years ago. Now there is 1. I lived in Hamilton for 4 years before that & while I was there we had 6, but they have all shut since I moved away.

• Any Seattle heads know what happened with Cranium Records? I missed the closing sales--seemed like it shut down pretty dang quick though.

• Mooncurser, NYC

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Root Cellar

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

los angeles (last 5 months)- beat market, upon shop, arons, rhino.

there was also a tiny little red store about 5 blocks east of upon shop on the other side of the street. i only made it in there once, it was circa 2001, picked up both hassles records and 'the price you got to pay to be free' for cheap. next time i went back, it was gone. anybody know about it?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There's really only three decent record shops in Houston left. Some other spots have vinyl, but aren't record stores in general. Most closed a while back as this town doesn't support anything, I'm saying, anything. Most apathetic city in the US, straight up.

Rockpile closed shop early last year, but began to suck from years previous. You could bank on them dudes though, they didn't know much about anything other than indie rock.

Out of the stores left, they price via eBay/Popsike.

and the $5 dude is still a bozo.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Boston/Cambridge:

Flip Side[/b] I was once manager of this store, and had the
    inside track up until it closed, so this sucks bad for me

Mars Records[/b]

Mystery Train[/b] (Newbury St)

Second Coming[/b] specialized in punk, so I copped psych & soul deals on the reg...re-opened as a hip-hop-only store

Phase Four[/b] this store was never all that great, but just before
    they closed I had started pulling heat out of the new arrivals...

Mojo Records[/b] still in the process of closing, store was always

Record Hog[/b] not the greatest spot, but run by a real nice woman, and it
    was a super-cheap spot where deals could be had

Carmine's[/b] old-man store out in the burbs where talk radio was
    always playing and Elvis records were $25 but Shuggie Otis LP's were $2...

Nuggets[/b] (porter sq)

That's all I can think of now, 9, but there's probably one or two I'm forgetting.
    There are really only 2 stores left in Boston proper now, and a handful in Cambridge.
    Shit is getting hectic. Only 2 or 3 stores at all that sell 45's.