The New Edan, what cha'll think?

Panzah_ZandahzPanzah_Zandahz 31 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I know there are a lot of Edan fans on here, I'm just wondering what everyone who has the new one thinks of it. The press is eating it up. I'm glad, he deserves it. I'm definitely a big fan and I couldn't be happier with it. Anybody familiar with tape delays, is that what he's primarily useing for his psych delays? I've yet to read an interview where he talks about his production methods but I'd be more then interested to read about them.

Comments

• djxanderdjxander 16 Posts
    wasn't too aware of his existence prior to this one, but this shit put me on auto-fan - fucking excellent

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    it took me a few listens to warm to the new edan but i like it now. he defenitley is using a tape delay machine for those effects, and it even sounds like he is recording his samples through the machine, using it as a pre-amp. the delays bugged me at first but i like it now...

• joostjoost 46 Posts
    Edan live for Dutch VPRO / 3FM radio

http://tinyurl.com/6zks7

• dope, thanks for the link!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Anybody familiar with tape delays, is that what he's primarily useing for his psych delays?

i think he uses one of those boss digital delay stomp boxes. at least thats what he uses live.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I'm liking the album. Didn't think that dude could put out a meaningful follow-up to "Primative Plus"...I'm happy to be wrong!

Peace

h

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Yeah, it's dope. And thank god it's only 13 tracks and 35 minutes long, cause I am so fucking sick of self-indulgent, 18 track, 70 minute albums. YOU. ARE. NOT. THAT. DOPE.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Edan = wig-hop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

OH JEEZUS...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

[color:white]this is a white guy right[/color]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

[color:white]Yes--does anybody besides me find these white rappers and DJs plastering their releases with photos of black people kind of unsettling and minstrelish?[/color]

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

[color:white]Yes--does anybody besides me find these white rappers and DJs plastering their releases with photos of black people kind of unsettling and minstrelish?[/color]

[color:white] Yeah, shit is absurd. What, you can't put your own pasty face on the cover of the record? Why are there a bunch of black people you don't know on the cover of the record? By the way Reynaldo, too bad all your alter aliases are gone you friendless freak. Has it made the conversation in your head less interesting? [/color]

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

[color:white] Yeah, shit is absurd. What, you can't put your own pasty face on the cover of the record? Why are there a bunch of black people you don't know on the cover of the record? By the way Reynaldo, too bad all your alter aliases are gone you friendless freak. Has it made the conversation in your head less interesting? [/color]

[color:white] I like the album and I like the cover. It's an homage to the emcees that have influenced him, nothing else. But I'm not about to take on the whole NYC contingent so PEACE![/color]

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    wig hop? cmon now baby.

edan is fun, and his album covers are heat!!! emcees smoke crack remix is a good way to start the day. also there is a limited edition 45 out there called "listen" pure instrumental wickedness!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

I like the album and I like the cover. It's an homage to the emcees that have influenced him, nothing else.

Exactly.

My problem lies with the journalist who will cover this record because Edan is white.

• How about not worrying about what he looks like and just enjoying this great album for what it is?

ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

[color:white]ALBUM OF THE YEAR[/color]

[color:white]ALBUM OF THE YEAR[/color]

[color:white]ALBUM OF THE YEAR [/color]
    I think we are nearing a general consensus, which is understandable since Edan has given us a glimpse of the post-hip-hop music that so many are waiting for--and it's beautiful.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Kind of hard to call something "album of the year" in early April.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    How about not worrying about what he looks like and just enjoying this great album for what it is?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    The press is eating it up.

I think I've made my opinion of this album pretty clear in other threads, but i'm glad to hear that it's getting "good press" (if being called "the missing link between DJ shadow and Eminem" is good press), although it does seem to be from mostly non-hip hop sources.

I'd say it's album of the year *so far*

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Did Superugly write his bio?

EDAN LIKE MUSIC.
    EDAN BORN IN LATE SEVENTIES.
    EDAN HAVE LOVING PARENTS WHO SUPPORT HIM & RAISE HIM GOOD. NO SMOKING. NO FIGHTING. JUNK FOOD SOMETIMES.
    EDAN HAVE NO BROTHERS AND NO SISTERS.
    EDAN LOOK AT HIMSELF IN MIRROR & DO DANCE & MAKE FACE.
    EDAN HEAR BEATLE MUSIC & DOO-WOP ROCKING ROBIN.
    EDAN PLAY PIANO.
    PIANO TEACHER SAYS EDAN NOT GOOD AT PIANO.
    EDAN SAY FUCK YOU SHUTUP.
    EDAN HEAR ROCK AND ROLL JIMI HENDRIX.
    EDAN LIKE IN HENDRIX JIMMY PAGE JOHN BONHAM.
    EDAN PLAY GUITAR AND LIKE IN N.W.A. BAD WORDS.
    EDAN LIKE IN RAPP EMCEES RHYME-IT.
    EDAN PLAY IN BASS JAZZ.
    EDAN MAKING BEATS FOUR TRACK.
    EDAN MAKING RHYME-IT.
    EDAN PURCHASE HAUNTED TURNTABLES DEEJAY COMMIT SUICIDE LEAVE TURNTABLES TO EDAN. (true story)
    EDAN NIKKE RAP N' SCRATCH.
    EDAN DO IT HIMSELF.
    EDAN HAPPY MAKE SONG SOUNDS LIKE ALI SHAHEED MU-PHIFEN.
    EDAN A LOT IN RAP.
    EDAN MAKE SONG ALOT.
    EDAN GO TO COLLEGE TO MUSIC IT.
    SCHOOL NOT SO GREAT LENNY KRAVITZ.
    EDAN PUT OUT TWELVE INCH SINGLE.
    EDAN RAP BATTLE AND DEEJAY COMPETE.
    EDAN SELL MIX TAPE IN STREET TO EAT.
    EDAN RAPP N' SCRATCH AND KEEP ZE BEAT.
    EDAN LIVE! CONCERTING AND PEOPLE MEET.
    EDAN SEND FOURTH ALBUM UNFINISH TO QUEEN OF ENGLAND.
    QUEEN OF ENGLAND GIVING TAPE TO MIKE LEWIS IN HEAVY PRESSURE SECRET.
    MIKE MAKE LABEL.
    EDAN ALBUM PRIMITIVE PLUS IN STORE AROUND WORLD JAPAN IMPORT SECTION.
    EDAN BADD HABIT BUYING FIVE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS.
    EDAN CONCENTRATING ON PUT SYD BARRETT FACE ON BIZ MARKIE BODY AND KOOL G RAP BRAIN.
    EDAN KEEP ZE BEAT FOR MR. LIFS SOULS OF MISCHIEFS AKROBATIKS DAVID HOLMES REMIX.
    CRITIC IN MAGAZINE SAY EDAN OLD SCHOOOL AND GLASSES.
    EDAN IN CHILLING HARD IN NEW YORK TIMES & THE WIRE.
    EDAN AND INSIGHT RHYME-IT BATTLE IN MAZE MADE FROM FIRE.
    EDAN AND INSIGHT GIVE YOU LIVE! CONCERTING.
    EDAN WORKING NEW ALBUM.
    EDAN NEED BIO FOR PEOPLE READ.
    EDAN DO IT HIMSELF.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    the greatest biography page ive ever seen

NO SMOKING NO FIGHTING JUNK FOOD SOMETIMES

the greatest biography page ive ever seen
    EDAN BRILLIANT
    EDAN THE NEXT BIG THING
    EDAN COULD NEVER USE THE FA??ADE OF A MUSICIAN TO CELEBRATE HATE AND ABUSE WOMEN

• ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

I'm takin' you out
    And your homeboy Anton,
    Sit in my classroom
    Fill out a scantron.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON

• slushslush 691 Posts
    im really enjoying it. just bought it and dubbed it to MD. Played it 6 or 7 times in the last couple days. a work of art. I think the B-side is stronger but its something you can definitly play beginnning to end.

Rock n roll is my favourite and that Dagha dude really slays it. Other favourites: Smile, Making Planets, Murder Mystery.

he used a boss digital delay pedal when i saw him but it sounds like an old school echoplex with all that crunchy wooshing.

its early to say my favourite album this year but its real solid for sure.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    This album is better than his single "Sing it shitface"???? I am finding that hard to believe...

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    im really enjoying it. just bought it and dubbed it to MD. Played it 6 or 7 times in the last couple days. a work of art. I think the B-side is stronger but its something you can definitly play beginnning to end.

Rock n roll is my favourite and that Dagha dude really slays it. Other favourites: Smile, Making Planets, Murder Mystery.

he used a boss digital delay pedal when i saw him but it sounds like an old school echoplex with all that crunchy wooshing.

its early to say my favourite album this year but its real solid for sure.

I'm pretty sure he told me he used an Echoplex when I interviewed a couple weeks back, I'll double check for y'all.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Edan is dope.

I don't know about all the hype or whatever, but he's been making good shit for a minute.

Have you NY duderinos even heard this album? Not to get my journalistic integrity on but he's handling that one foot in the past, one towards the future pretty well.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    How about not worrying about what he looks like and just enjoying this great album for what it is?

word dooky, michael26.

what the fuck is going on around here?!
    "a white guy put hip hop legends faces on the cover of his album in wigs! i'm soooo offended!" boo motherfucking hoo.

knee jerk much?