DIGGERS ARM

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
OK, this has been happening to me. I go on a DIG MISSION and I am flipping through bins, boxes, shelves and records laid out all over the floor in piles and I develop repetitive motion disorder in my digging arm, around the areas just above and below my elbow, and it throbs with pain and I must (MUST) anesthetize myself with liquor to get some sleep in a cheap motel with a crack party next door.Does anyone else experience this? It causes pain while I'm gripping. Not cool. I think Sampo wore a brace for a while. Do I need this? Will other "diggers" call me Mr. Mom or something and I will look like a secretary? Do I need a pair of white reeboks to complete the look?Your input is valuable.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what about crouching instead of sitting on the floor cos the muthafuckah is so dirty? my legs were killing me yesterday cos of that

• what about crouching instead of sitting on the floor cos the muthafuckah is so dirty? my legs were killing me yesterday cos of that

Dude my knees are the next to go. Look for me with the wrist brace and fold-up chair on my back. I am not kidding. Wild safari.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Worst I've ever gotten was "Digger Cuticles" where my fingers start to bleed around the nails after hours of digging....this especially happens in the Winter.

• Shit Rich I'm in NYC, my fingers don't even work in the winter.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    what about crouching instead of sitting on the floor cos the muthafuckah is so dirty? my legs were killing me yesterday cos of that

i get this same problem, especially because i have bad knees (playing catcher (no ayo) for 15+ years will do it)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    You need to be doin them pushups!!!

• You need to be doin them pushups!!!

oh shit... DCastle with the fitness regimen. Is this how the housers do it?

I do pushups to get stoked for the record show. Then I play "Ride Of The Valkyries" on the way there.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

It's better than going to the gym.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Do I need a pair of white reeboks to complete the look?

Your input is valuable.

try these:

designed for heavy winterdiggin'...as far as the arm is concerned, try using your shoulder for flippin' the records...looks rertarded and is difficult to do, but saves a lot of grippin pain...

• I get digger cuticles and cosign on digger knee...I have dislocated both patellas in my sprt playing days and surgery has rendered my knees practically cartilage-less, so they ache if I stay squated too long. I just have seat, no matter how inhospitable the surface is...in Poland I sat in the snow because I didnt want to squat for too long...plus I had to listen to damn near every record I had found because I didnt know what the fugg any of them were (except for the Novi Singers and Wojiech Karolak Jernts ) Probably gonna rain while I am in Italy and I will probably end up with a soggy bottom at the fleas cause I will just plop my achey self down when I find some crates.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I do pushups to get stoked for the record show. Then I play "Ride Of The Valkyries" on the way there.

Housers just sit and complain about their injuries.

You may have a pinched nerve though, and you might need some steroid shot if it is repetitive movement badness.

• you sat in the snow listening to records? how'd that go? were you at the flea market or somethin??

as far as Digger Arm, fuck pushups, just start digging more with the arm you don't use to masturbate.

• Options
    fold-up chair on my back

I got the hot forest green/gray foldup with the extra thick shoulder straps from Coleman last year on clearance. Don't underestimate the chair. I haven't used it yet though because I don't have shoes to match it yet.

Then I play "Ride Of The Valkyries" on the way there

Off topic, but when my dad was a fire lieutenant in Brownsville, Brooklyn in the early 80's they mounted massive speakers on the firetruck, hooked up an amp and blasted "...Valkyries" racing down Ralph Ave on the way to fires. Yeah they bit Apocalypse Now, but they did it effectively.

• Off topic, but when my dad was a fire lieutenant in Brownsville, Brooklyn in the early 80's they mounted massive speakers on the firetruck, hooked up an amp and blasted "...Valkyries" racing down Ralph Ave on the way to fires. Yeah they bit Apocalypse Now, but they did it effectively.

That's so hot dude.

Off off topic, I was out there with Kevin today but didn't have time to dally. Next time we gotta go for beers or something. Btw you are right Kevin is a beast.

• you sat in the snow listening to records? how'd that go? were you at the flea market or somethin??

pretty well....just put the GP-3 up on a box...no prob. there were little book sales outside all over Krakow and they always had a few boxes of records....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

knowledge dropped. I've been doing this for years. I find it best to turn off the radio when your about a block away from the show stuck your head out the window a la Ace Ventura and just start humming the tune really loudly.

Someties I go to shows in viking horns just so no one will try to dig too close to me.

Seriously though about 2 years ago I was buying this old stores stock and it took me 3 days of digging 5+ hours to do so, my neck arms and leg were cricked up for days after.

JP find you some epsom salt and a woman to give you a backrub and you'll be straight

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I always thought carpal tunnel syndrome was a joke -
    then I got hi-speed internet and a Soul Strut addiction...
    no joke, my right wrist and hand been numb for 4 months now...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You guys need to turn off the comps and work out.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    diggers arms and diggers knees? i feel it in my back and shoulders..wait a minute...omigosh...am i digging wrong?

You guys need to turn off the comps and work out.

DON'T SWEAT THE TECHNIQUE[/b]

• Tendinitis and repetitive motion disorder have nothing to do with working out. We're talking tendons not muscles.

• I WILL WORK YOU, SON!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I always thought carpal tunnel syndrome was a joke -
    then I got hi-speed internet and a Soul Strut addiction...
    no joke, my right wrist and hand been numb for 4 months now...

Bro this shit aint no joke, i just had my 2nd steroid injection for CTS last week they pump that shit straight into your nerve, im like:
    "Doc, how you know when you get the right spot?"
    he says "youll tell me"
    "im like wha... AAAAAAAGGGHHH!"
    "yes, thats the spot".

almost as much fun as the electric pulses they send down your nerve to test whther you have CTS or not.

Im booked in for the operation in 3 months.

oh joy.

So your trip is done and gone?

PS I was looking for a "Son, Don't Risk It" jpeg, but couldn't find it.

• Jonny, I know this is going to be very hard for you to deal with, but I can tell you exactly what is happening with you. Are you ready for it? Are you braced? Okay, here it is...

YOU ARE GETTING OLD. Join the club! Ha ha ha...

• In all honesty though The_Non it really is a disorder that in my experience has nothing to do with fitness or build.

I have had this problem as long as I can remember.

I used to have to strap my guitar up real high (ala Dave Matthews) in order to play without pain. I had feldenkrais workouts to do before and after practicing. My inability to play consistently with any speed eventually discouraged me from playing much at all.

When I worked at a desk job I had CTS training and all the foamy office support things.

• oh yes my trip is done. I will post pics later. HEATHEATHEATHEAT

and LEGEND is that dude. When you see him, fix your face and show him some respect!!!

pretty well....just put the GP-3 up on a box...no prob. there were little book sales outside all over Krakow and they always had a few boxes of records....

whoa that's kinda ill. record digging in the snow. that's dedication! some good finds, i hope.