REAL TALK: Is the yay area next to blow?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yall guys blowing up my post!

Houston is about to be real big. Trust. People are still not seeing it. but Chamillionaire should be huge. Slim Thug is amazing, whether or not he sells I dont know. Im also unsure about chick magnet, could go either way. At this point though, labels have spent enough money on it so that they will feed it to us until it does blow up.

But I hardly think its fair to call that shit a footnote.

not saying screwed shit will drown out the rest of the rap world, just that right now its something relatively fresh for the masses to consume.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    regional rap argument on soulstrut=playing stairway to heaven in the guitar shop

(nod to missbassie)

How many guitarists does it take to play "Stairway to Heaven?"
    All of them, apparently.

• Hey P*te,

You wanna jam? I'll play the bassline...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

1. isolating ourselves, thinking all-bay instead of national; you'd be surprised how hard I've had to lobby just to press up a Bay record for bay [/b] DJs (you'd think dudes would jump at the chance), and 2. lack of savvy when dealing with labels. We know how to slang records

*cough* Keek's "coke, white, ..." 12'' *cough*

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    regional rap argument on soulstrut=playing stairway to heaven in the guitar shop

(nod to missbassie)

geez, is it that bad? I thought it was an interesting thread, whatever.

• regional rap argument on soulstrut=playing stairway to heaven in the guitar shop

(nod to missbassie)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this music/subject but all this nitpicking makes me want to throw all my rap 12"s in a dumpster Good topic though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

(nod to missbassie)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this music/subject but all this nitpicking makes me want to throw all my rap 12"s in a dumpster Good topic though.

Good, let's keep talking then!

books flight to Bay Area, mapquests Josh B** address and considers camping out in a dumpster for a few days

Seriously though as ridiculous as I find Archaic to be he's kind of right if only in regard to this: industry morons are always acting like there can't possibly be more than one local scene popping at the same time. What, crazy talk! People in Oakland and Houston and Atlanta making good rap music at the same time???? HOLY TOOSHORT BATMAN, SOMEONE TAKE AWAY MY ITALIC FONT!!!

B, the more people fetishize something as "the next to blow" the more it's gonna be shortlived and sensational. The more real visionaries in the industry continue to scout real talent for national success the more local artists will get heard and bring fame to their cities.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

rest in peace! it's really sad to me that Dre died on the cusp of blowing up like this.

In an especially sad, ironic twist, its his death that warranted so much more attention. I've lived here all my life, minus school in Oregon for a couple years, and I wasn't really checkin' for dude, I heard "Too Hard for the Radio" manny times BITD, but only now I'm really catching on with these albums that have come out in the last couple years. Shit is truly amazing material. Funny, fonky, entertainment at its best, and makes people out here in the clurb shit their drawls when they hear it. An amazing individual.

I FUCKS WITH THE BAY RAP, EET GOOD. Being 13 and 14, smoking weed for the first times, listening to "Smoke Dope and Rap," (and being a lil lil lil dude seeking out that Southside Movement track like a mug), and RBL's Lesson to be Learned, so much nostalgia right there.

• DOGGZ JUICE COUNTY FIN TA BLOW!!!

PUTO BONG BONG DAT NEW VIKER OF NICE DOGGZ YALL BETTA AX SUMBUDDY

• Seriously though as ridiculous as I find Archaic to be he's kind of right if only in regard to this: industry morons are always acting like there can't possibly be more than one local scene popping at the same time. What, crazy talk! People in Oakland and Houston and Atlanta making good rap music at the same time???? HOLY TOOSHORT BATMAN, SOMEONE TAKE AWAY MY ITALIC FONT!!!

That's right.

Ultra-late pass for me, but I have finally been able to hear
    this whole CD and I declare it to be deep and wild...way beyond
    just a package to showcase a few hott tracks. I'll probably
    still be trying to figure some of this out come Christmas:

Right now I try to figure how
    "counting other people's money" = "COPIUM"

I'll tell you it's hott stuf though.
    People in hospital beds will be bumping this intravaneously
    in 2033 after the fall of Al, pal of the cabal.

Luckily, I already own a t-shirt and some blue jeans.
    Now all I need is some Nikes.
    Can anyone recommend a place to find Nikes.

• sam909sam909 192.168.0.1 14 Posts
    peace

peas ...?

• Seriously though as ridiculous as I find Archaic to be he's kind of right if only in regard to this: industry morons are always acting like there can't possibly be more than one local scene popping at the same time. What, crazy talk! People in Oakland and Houston and Atlanta making good rap music at the same time???? HOLY TOOSHORT BATMAN, SOMEONE TAKE AWAY MY ITALIC FONT!!!

That's right.

Ultra-late pass for me, but I have finally been able to hear
    this whole CD and I declare it to be deep and wild...way beyond
    just a package to showcase a few hott tracks. I'll probably
    still be trying to figure some of this out come Christmas:

Right now I try to figure how
    "counting other people's money" = "COPIUM"

I'll tell you it's hott stuf though.
    People in hospital beds will be bumping this intravaneously
    in 2033 after the fall of Al, pal of the cabal.

Luckily, I already own a t-shirt and some blue jeans.
    Now all I need is some Nikes.
    Can anyone recommend a place to find Nikes.

KTK

1). one of thee most interesting and entertaining rappers alive.
    2). he's like the hometown people's champ. he gets respect/props from everyone. Something very rare now a days even in the age of "Cheerleading".
    3). The Yay ODB.

• whas KTK?

• whas KTK?

fuck...someone kill me.

I meant to type "KTS" as in "KEAK THA SNEAK"

• Ever heard "Dual Committee" aka Keaks first group? Listening right now, very dope.

• Ever heard "Dual Committee" aka Keaks first group? Listening right now, very dope.

Is he rocking the patented cookie monster flow?

Is he rocking the patented cookie monster Tazmanian Devil flow?

• AB-So-Lute-LY

"Dual Committee" sounds AYO-ISH.

but I think we both know the answer to your question though.

• AB-So-Lute-LY

Wait is that the cover???

Anything to do with Sanitation Dept (Oakland crew)?

since I just picked this up, here's some random responses to some shit in this thread:

-I could be entirely wrong about this, but I thought Slim Thug's album got delayed because Pharell (or whoever) didn't want to risk being the first Houston artist to take advantage of the buzz. the album's ridiculous btw.

-I thought the new sounds came from "the streets" locally, then they blow up when everyone else embraces them.

-"slump and grind" *still* gets much play around here.

anyways I think Yay rap is too weird to blow up. Houston is building off the south's domination of radio rap for the last five years...they had a hook, and a white dude. but most of the Bay shit is so strange. you really think 40 is gonna lead a revolution? dude is sick no doubt, but he couldn't go platinum like 50 without toning down the slang? and Keak da Sneak is sort of the same.

• anyways I think Yay rap is too weird to blow up. Houston is building off the south's domination of radio rap for the last five years...they had a hook, and a white dude. but most of the Bay shit is so strange. you really think 40 is gonna lead a revolution? dude is sick no doubt, but he couldn't go platinum like 50 without toning down the slang? and Keak da Sneak is sort of the same.

Dude we are talking about records that are slowed down to half speed. That's not weird enough?

Lil Jon producing 40s next record. That will blow up the Bay.

• Phonix: hey, you neva, neva know...your a native cuzz'n

JP: nah it's unrelated but the Rat-Tat-Tat gives me Ya-Dat-Dat-Da flashes

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Dude we are talking about records that are slowed down to half speed. That's not weird enough?

the idea of screw music helped but I don't really think heads are checking for s&c versions of albums that much...last I heard you couldn't even get that shit in boston.

40 had a Lil Jon-produced single back when Lil Jon was at his peak and nothing happened.

• anyways I think Yay rap is too weird to blow up. Houston is building off the south's domination of radio rap for the last five years...they had a hook, and a white dude. but most of the Bay shit is so strange. you really think 40 is gonna lead a revolution? dude is sick no doubt, but he couldn't go platinum like 50 without toning down the slang? and Keak da Sneak is sort of the same.

word....I think the bay will blow up if there's some type of real major label push. I think the south/texas got over because of the "crunk" music being the new flavor of the month amongst "people" and dudes like Pharell co-signing/producing dudes.

maybe a white dude like KOBE SOZ can be the Bay's "Paul Wall"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    40's album being released ON Lil' Jon's label will make a whole world of difference.

• Dude we are talking about records that are slowed down to half speed. That's not weird enough?

the idea of screw music helped but I don't really think heads are checking for s&c versions of albums that much...last I heard you couldn't even get that shit in boston.

40 had a Lil Jon-produced single back when Lil Jon was at his peak and nothing happened.

Well, "Shake That Monkey" did really well in some parts of the country... "Burn Rubber" never really made it out as a single, correct me if I'm wrong, even in the Bay. Now he is doing his whole album... I think you are writing a really early obit on that.

But hatters will hatt. I am selling Keak & 40 records in NYC though what do I know

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Sirius plays a lot of Yay shit, it's dope.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    seriously, 40 is just going to come up with some monster hook for the first single and everything else will fall in place from there.