records you regret selling

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
file under What are some records you regret selling?When I moved from SC to DC, I sold several boxes of records to my local shop... among them were:Gil Melle???Andromeda StrainI only needle dropped it and didn???t get it. Fucking dumbass.Kool and the Gang--Live at PJsI had every Kool and the Gang LP up through 1978ish. At the time I liked Live @the sex Machine better and figured I only needed one live record by them. Foolish.McDonald and GilesI am a huge early King Crimson fan. When slimming down I thought I didn???t this Crimson offshoot. Dumb.Dr. John???BabylonJust didn???t get it the first time. I liked Gris Gris and the one with the Meters. Idiot.Meters???RejuvinationFigured I was fine with the Josie stuff. Wrong.Archie Shepp???Attica BluesI had all the Impulse stuff and wasn???t feeling this one or Cry of My People at the time. Fuck me.Turtles--Battle of the bandsHad no idea. Just a Turtles record right? No.Grant Green???Green Is BeautifulI was getting fed up with the rare groove shit and more into modal jazz. Idle Moments was my shit. So I dumped a few of my funkier Grant Greens. Bitch!Roots???Illedelphia Half LifeNot nearly as groundbreaking at Things Fall Apart. Actually is not that good, but I regret selling it because I???ve seen it go for $50 these days.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Marley Marl & MC Shan - Marley Marl Scratch 12"

RBL Posse - Don't Give Me No Bammer Weed 12"

415 - 415'in LP

Fila Fresh Crew - Tuffest Man Alive LP

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I have since got back Attica, Rejuvination, Babylon, McDonald and Giles and Grant Green.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Roots???Illedelphia Half Life
    Not nearly as groundbreaking at Things Fall Apart. Actually is not that good, but I regret selling it because I???ve seen it go for $50 these days.

Wow--could you speak further on the groundbreaking nature of Things Fall Apart?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Archie Whitewater-S/T*

The Whole Darn Family-Has Arrived

*especially this one

• Several Zep bootlegs I could have sold for $50 or more apiece on ebay.

Then again, I hear those get yanked real quick like sometimes by the Zep Authorities.

• Melvin Moore "all of a sudden" Sky Hero
    Fathers Chuldren Lp with "hollywood dreaming"

RAMP lp but then i found one for like 10$ so it was ok

/L

Archie Whitewater-S/T*

*especially this one

Also..

The Excursions-S/T LP

Stone Alliance-S/T LP

Air-S/T LP

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Orquesta Riverside- S/T

luckily I recorded it onto my comp. first, and I'm sure I'll find another copy cheap.

Archie Whitewater-S/T*

*especially this one

Also..

The Excursions-S/T LP

Stone Alliance-S/T LP

Air-S/T LP
    Bobby Davis-Hit Em' Hard OST

Curtis Knight-Down In The Village

Dizzie Gillespie-Souled Out

Rudolph Johnson-The Second Coming

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Mike, dude!

Mike, dude!
    Bobby Davis, right? Yeah, I think prior to the day that I sold it, I was drinking heavily

BTW, thanks for throwing that jawn on the mixtape!

• Carlos Franzetti: GRAFFITTI
    Traded it for the BLACULA OST which I liked much better, but I probably could have gotten $100-$200 more trade value had I known the going rate for that Guinness clunker. A lucky German collectro was busting with complusive lauhgters at that transaction I am sure.

The Slits: CUT
    I was in college (circa '89) and I didn't feel my $4 was well spent on such an amateurish effort. Sold it back to the store for $2 a few weeks later. Oops.

After those two, I made sure to never sell another record again.

BTW Fr*nk I have a spare BATTLE OF THE BANDS if you want to reclaim your SC glory days.

• Joey Pastrana "Salsa Inferno" you think it'd be dope having been produced by Larry Harlow, Sonny Bravo, and Marty Sheller, featuring Jimmy Sabater and a bunch of other heavy weights. I thought it was a snoozer, sold it for $15, a copy went on ebay a few months ago for $150.

The Slits: CUT
    I was in college (circa '89) and I didn't feel my $4 was well spent on such an amateurish effort. Sold it back to the store for $2 a few weeks later. Oops.

After those two, I made sure to never sell another record again.

For real, though.

Not nearly as groundbreaking at Things Fall Apart. Actually is not that good, but I regret selling it because I???ve seen it go for $50 these days.

While they had already crossed over with Do You Want More, TFA really opened up the lucrative trustafarian market for them. It was the best thing for white people since Three Feet High and Rising. Then Jay-Z invited them on "Unplugged" and the rest is history.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the only one I can think of is

Doug Lucas: Niara

cuz I only owned it for a couple weeks, and probably got a dollar for it... I just want to know what it sounded like, prolly not my thing but I could've gotten a decent trade out of it... I even saw it stashed in the country section of the store a while later but didn't know it was worth a damn to anybody back then...

While they had already crossed over with Do You Want More, TFA really opened up the lucrative trustafarian market for them. It was the best thing for white people since Three Feet High and Rising. Then Jay-Z invited them on "Unplugged" and the rest is history.

Excellent, but let us not slight the role that it played in the development of your own relationship with rap music.

As Frances goes, so goes rap...

you know I posted that just for you.

and it's Franci[/b]s dammit

plus I turned my back on rap music years ago.

and it's Franci[/b]s dammit

I know--I actually looked through some old e-mails before posting to make absolutely sure I was using the feminine spelling.

• man so many that I thought I would find again but didnt -- Grant Green Alive, dsome Roy Ayes things and SO many I simply cant remember.

The most haunting ones are the records I traded in early in the game. I brought a bunch of great stuff to Atomic in like 96, thinking that I could get like a Meters record or something. They gave me 3 dollars credit for each, stuff like Lynn Collins, Marva Whitney and stuff i dont remember. I wound up getting a the Meters disco record.

• terry callier/ what color is love
    sarah webster fabio...(the brown one) $50 , both about 6 years ago

however i paid 0 for each of em.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    man so many that I thought I would find again but didnt

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    dude nobody's paying $50 for illadelph halflife.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I regret selling :

Makeba and Skratch-"Aint it Funky" 12"

I only got $100

I regret selling :

I only got $100
    Do you regret throwing away Terry Callier-"Occasional Rain"??

• I kinda regretted selling my Sesso Matto 12" the other day. Then again, I kinda didn't

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    It took me forever to find battle of the bands. And its actually one of my favorite records now. I really really like the songs on there.

the last thiiiing i remembeeeerrrrrr.... is something something something boing!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I regret selling :

I only got $100

As far as I know it peaked out at 100 in the early days random rap mania and settled way down after numerous copies kept getting thrown up...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The only record selling regrets I can think of are just for not selling them for enough. I can't think of any I actually wish I had back. CDs are another story, though, because I was selling them off like crazy in high school when my tastes were all over the place and subject to abrupt change.