March of the Penguins (Movie Related)

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So, my girlfriend added this to our netflix cue, and we watched it yesterday. I have to say it was kinda more on the macabre side than I bargained for. It disturbed my girlfriend. It was like they would show you a cute pengiun and then be all like - BUT LOOK AT IT DEAD!!! Not really fun for the whole family. Any thoughts from those of you who have seen this? We were talking about how they really didn't make shit like this quite so harsh when we were young (we are 28). Did it frighten your children?

Comments

• My sister took her kids (8 & 9) to see it and said the same thing. It's marketed like a heartwarming animal documentary but appears to be a little darker than most people expect.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Actually the US theatrical and DVD releases were all cut. The Morgan Freeman edition that is. They removed some of the negative aspects of the film. I think it's around 3 cut minutes. IMO the narration is also a bit messy because the OG/French was the 3 penguins doing the narration, not one person. Anyhow, I liked the docu personally.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Actually the US theatrical and DVD releases were all cut. The Morgan Freeman edition that is. They removed some of the negative aspects of the film. I think it's around 3 cut minutes. IMO the narration is also a bit messy because the OG/French was the 3 penguins doing the narration, not one person. Anyhow, I liked the docu personally.

They cut "nagative aspects"?!?! dude! they showed frozen baby penguinsicles!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I took my 2 year old son to this. Theatre was absolutely packed, standing room only type steez. When eggs started instantly freezing before your eyes, whole groups of families starting walking out.

A lot more macabre than I bargained for.

• Is there any penguin-on-penguin violence?

Is there any penguin-on-penguin violence?

DUDE! there like totally is!!!

• I took my 2 year old son to this. Theatre was absolutely packed, standing room only type steez. When eggs started instantly freezing before your eyes, whole groups of families starting walking out.

A lot more macabre than I bargained for.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i know one is real and the other isn't, but brain reacting to visual stimulation doesn't always register that information right away and talk itself down.

i can watch someone being hacked to death in a horror film and i'm fine, but show me a cub carried away by a hyena for dinner and i lose my shit.

BF is all "let's go!" and i'm telling him "no way. i won't last past the first baby penguin tragedy."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    We were talking about how they really didn't make shit like this quite so harsh when we were young (we are 28).

Dark Crystal
    Black Cauldron
    Bambi
    Neverending Story

Not true. Plus, kids are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sheltered nowadays. Sanitized for their protection. Fuck that shit. Kids need to know that the real world is real and only

Parents, stop sheltering your goddamn kids! They turn out disillusioned and incapable of functioning in the "real world" like a normal person.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

If you are a bad person in this life, then you are destined to be a penguin in your next.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what about in winged migration when those crabs come outta nowhere to eat that little bird!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    We were talking about how they really didn't make shit like this quite so harsh when we were young (we are 28).

Dark Crystal
    Black Cauldron
    Bambi
    Neverending Story

Not true. Plus, kids are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sheltered nowadays. Sanitized for their protection. Fuck that shit. Kids need to know that the real world is real and only

Parents, stop sheltering your goddamn kids! They turn out disillusioned and incapable of functioning in the "real world" like a normal person.

im feelin this statement.

But I dont think those movies listed are that harsh.

Now fox and the hound? yeah I ran out of that crying.

i know one is real and the other isn't, but brain reacting to visual stimulation doesn't always register that information right away and talk itself down.

i can watch someone being hacked to death in a horror film and i'm fine, but show me a cub carried away by a hyena for dinner and i lose my shit.

BF is all "let's go!" and i'm telling him "no way. i won't last past the first baby penguin tragedy."

Do not see it! I am pretty thick skinned about this stuff and even I thought it was too much. the GF was kinda horrified.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Dark Crystal
    Black Cauldron
    Bambi
    Neverending Story

bambi was the first film i ever saw and i think that explains why i can't watch march of the penguins.

i have a friend who thinks that having pets is a great way to teach children about life and death.

i have a friend who thinks that having pets is a great way to teach children about life and death.

that is sick but true.

• kids used to learn about this shit on the farm, taking care of Grenda, the old she-goat, who stepped on her goatling and killed it. when we remove death from daily life, we as a society gain a neurosis towards death. we seperate the mind from the body, people become isolated, confused and convinced that they will live forever. so they do bizarre things like go on American Idol

Wait - you mean I am going to die?!?!

Wait - you mean I am going to die?!?!

no. not you.

• Wait - you mean I am going to die?!?!

dont worry, you wont.

phew!!!

But really, it's not that I object to showing children death or disturbing things - far from it. Just talk to my little sisters for god's sake! But, this movie seemed geared toward toying with ones emotions. the way it was done seemed to intentionally jerk your emotions around.

• what about in winged migration when those crabs come outta nowhere to eat that little bird!

Great Movie! I haven't seen the penguin movie yet though. Does it get the SS seal of approval.

• phew!!!

But really, it's not that I object to showing children death or disturbing things - far from it. Just talk to my little sisters for god's sake! But, this movie seemed geared toward toying with ones emotions. the way it was done seemed to intentionally jerk your emotions around.

definately, they should not have edited it the way they did, project human emotions onto the penguins or get Morgan freeman to give his voice over. The footage is beyond amazing. All they have to do is show it.

phew!!!

definately, they should not have edited it the way they did, project human emotions onto the penguins or get Morgan freeman to give his voice over. The footage is beyond amazing. All they have to do is show it.

Exactly!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

They cut "nagative aspects"?!?! dude! they showed frozen baby penguinsicles!!!

lol, don't get me wrong. You're damn right there were still some unfortunate instances for those penguins, I'm just saying they cut out other aspects.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    baby penguinsicles!!!

baby penguinsicles!!!

baby penguinsicles!!!

baby penguinsicles!!!

baby penguinsicles!!!

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Hell no, the seals are SCUM for trying to eat penguins.

! !

• Actually the US theatrical and DVD releases were all cut. The Morgan Freeman edition that is. They removed some of the negative aspects of the film. I think it's around 3 cut minutes. IMO the narration is also a bit messy because the OG/French was the 3 penguins doing the narration, not one person. Anyhow, I liked the docu personally.

OG French voiceovers were, as they say, "ketaine"! The Morgan Freeman version was much less tacky. Life is harsh. Leopard seals are everywhere! Kids gotta learn.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This thing has been renting like hot-cakes at my rental store and we play it all the time. I've never sat down and watched it, but I didn't see no penguinsicles.

what about in winged migration when those crabs come outta nowhere to eat that little bird!
    Wasn't that Sharks Tale?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

this movie seemed geared toward toying with ones emotions. the way it was done seemed to intentionally jerk your emotions around.

I dunno, it sorta seemed like any other nature documentary where they show young animals getting eaten or starving. Anyways GOOD, people need to be more emotionally attached to the natural world as it is.

Now speaking of unnerving animal documentaries, who's really going to strap on some balls and make a feature documentary about factory slaughter houses?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i see what yall are saying but really thats nature. i found it a little creepy with the baby penguincicles but i also found it interesting how the fathers held onto them for so long with their .... feet? flippers... whatever they are. so i guess the creepiness of the male and female crying out while their egg dropped and cracked.

i liked it...

and winged migration.

the nature channel rocks!