What to hippies dance to?

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Got roped into DJing for this hippy CO-OP fundraiser thing...looking forward to doing another house party but at the same time, what do ueber-earth-conscious-vegans in Oakland dance to? I played this place before and just couldn't hit the vibe. They didn't even know bay shit, even mellow stuff like conscious daughters didn't sit well...I'm thinking like reggae and politically conscious hip hop and afrosound system, but would appreciate suggestions. Thoughts? (that don't involve cancelling or derisive remarks about hippies)?~gNat

Comments

• James Brown?
    Digable Planets?
    Brazilian jams?
    Latin?
    Earth Wind and Fire?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    yeah...that sounds about right...i just wanted to ask someone with the hippy tendencies who might have secret hippy knowledge...thanks.

• I will readily admit love for bands like the Dead, and I have my hippie tendencies...Hell, my avatar is Ken Kesey's mugshot- Mr. Merry Prankster himself.

THAT SAID...I DJ'ed a benefit for a bunch of hippie dancers once; and once only. Let's just say I

We went with funk a la JB, Curtis, etc, and they were doing hippie noodle dancing, stroking the poles, doing mirroring exercises while dancing. Terrible. I turned to my buddy, and just said, "Just shake your hips. Its funk. That's all you've got to do." Instead, we got interpretive dance to The Meters.

The Brazillian/Afrobeat/Reggae angle sounds best. Foreign languages will make them feel more 'aware'.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Sound Tribe Sector 9 - live/electronic/tribal/Santa Cruz

Dry & Heavy

• yeah...that sounds about right...i just wanted to ask someone with the hippy tendencies

Hey, who you calling a hippie?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    They'll dance to anything.

• Stevie Wonder
    Marley
    Talking heads
    Curtis Mayfield
    Herbie Hancock
    Jimi Hendrix

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Antibalas all night

• Antibalas all night
    Antibalas all night
    Antibalas all night
    Antibalas all night
    Antibalas all night
    Antibalas all night
    Antibalas all night

and The Meters.

• stroking the poles

Fela?
    Antibalas?
    Rusted Root?
    Poi Dog Pondering?
    Phish?
    Cat Stevens?
    a stack of dancehall 45s?
    the Coup?

but cmon, man, hippies or not it's Oakland!:

• even mellow stuff like conscious daughters didn't sit well

When did you DJ there? 1994?

Oh wait forgot you're in the bay area, home of the funky expedition

• Spearhead always goes down good with these types up here in VT
    Sometimes you can sneak in some dead prez

Also all kinds of old school mainstream hip hip, like Biz Mark and Wu Tang #1...
    But seriously, get a good vibe going and then you can play almost anything. The Hippie
    crowd is usually "once you got em', you can get em' to dance to anything" kinda crowd.
    and end with some Bob Marley. You'll have em weaping in their micro brews...

Also all kinds of old school mainstream hip hip, like Biz Mark and Wu Tang #1...
    But seriously, get a good vibe going and then you can play almost anything. The Hippie
    crowd is usually "once you got em', you can get em' to dance to anything" kinda crowd.

I always want to kill hippies anyway, but what you just wrote makes me really want to kill hippies.

• grateful dead? bob marley? hell, i don't know

• Honestly, hippies probably want to dance to anything your average non-club-going, non-current-radio-listening crowd would want to hear.

Prince
    Outkast
    Michael Jackson
    Missy Elliott
    "Bust A Move"
    "More Bounce to the Ounce"
    etc.

They might be more receptive to the whole Common/Mos Def/J5 end of things then other folks who don't listen to KMEL, but I wouldn't try to deviate too far from regular dance music. If there's girls there and people want to dance I can pretty much guarantee shit like Soundtribe and Disco Buiscuts or whatever won't go over well.

I always want to kill hippies anyway, but what you just wrote makes me really want to kill hippies.

Those gigs suck... even if they go well they leave you feeling all hollow inside.
    Try to avoid if at all possible...

• roy ayers ubiquity

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    "heeey maaaaaan, check out these crunchy nugs maaaaan"

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    hippies hate water by mucky pup...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Anymore, it's that Devendra Banhart pretending to be Marc Bolan.

• how could i forget - phish! just play phish all night with some bob marley here and there. which hippie would front on that? it's like an unwritten rule for them, for fucks sake.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Also, Don Boadi's "Money is the Root of All Evil" should be a sure fire floorpacker.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    They'll dance to anything.

True. Although despite outward appearances all hippies have a secret weakness for trance and gabba. Especially gabba. Trust me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil

Then you can see them do their finger-wagging dance.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Project Blowed/Jurassic Five

• Q: How do you hide money from a hippie?
    A: put it under the soap!

really though, Phish et. al. is good, what bout Soup Dragons, Jesus Jones, Spin Doctors and all of that stuff. Also this one may not be too obvious, but Medeski Martin and Wood might be good. I knew a lot of frat boy deadheads that were into these guys.

Good advice on the Fela/Antibalas/Spearhead stuff - maybe Hugh Masekela and Manu Dibango would work too. Anything remotely 'tribal'

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Project Blowed/Jurassic Five

I dare you to start a new Project Blowed thread.

• shit! don't forget JAMIROQUAI!!!

hatt on hatter

• No one mentioned these guys yet.