midweek finds

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Salvation Army on the way home from work.....
    or it has the wrong record in the jacket.

yup, just last week, exactly that, i walked away feelin

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Salvation Army on the way home from work.....
    it always bugs me out how people find shit like this at their local salvation army's. where do you live, dude? all i've ever seen at the LA joints are beat up engelbert humperdink records.

I am in Dallas/Fort Worth and the Thrifts are pretty good here....If it makes you feel any better there were about 8-9 Fania titles there yesterday and only these 3 were clean. I think the key to Thrift digging is to find out what day they put stuff out(This particular SA puts out LP's every week) and hit it on that day.....I get LP's at this thrift 3 out of every 4 visits or so.

• here's a sampling of manhattan thrift store digs yesterday...1 Goodwill, 2 Salvation Army's, 1 Church thrift store.

highlights:
    sealed Phreek lp for a dollar!
    mint Dusty in Memphis...i rarely seel this record.
    James Simpson Band Penetration "On the Money (Bounce Get Down) 12" sealed...does anybody know this record? what does it sound like!?
    Anne Clark lp...minimal synth post-punk joint from 1984 that has "Our Darkness" which was really big on the 80s WBMX chicago house and detroit scene...amazing proto-acid tune!
    2 Sealed Disco Gold disco-exploitation lps...
    Lisa "So In Love With You" 12"...mid-80s modern soul / boogie cut with autograph on the cover.
    SanRemo 1970...Italian comp featuring Patty Pravo and other...every cut is funky italian pscych go-go craziness...what is the deal with these comps?
    the New York City Album...in the 70s somebody took a handheld tape recorder around the city and this is the result...amazing samples everywhere...all these Bowery bums talking.
    hardy boys record...in-studio Hardy Boys skits...this whole side is called "the Disco Conspiracy" and is hilarious.
    Star Trek lp...more in-studio stuff...not sure if this is really star trek or people trying to play them...it's on peter pan which seems like a pretty dodgy label so i doubt it's legit.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Salvation Armies and Goodwills in the South seem to have people who have Goodwill and give to charitable organizations. The North and West either
    A) Don't give
    B) The workers get the good stuff
    C) Someone's connected to the stores and sucks it all up.

Thrifts in Upstate NY are trash. The worst thrift in the South is usually at least comparable to the mid range to upper end (for records) thrift in the North. The only other dude who comes up at thrifts is Dakar, and that is just a seemingly endless and lucky locale.

Call me a hatter.
    True indeed.

Thrifts are all timing in DC. When I was hitting the Salvation Army stores on a daily, 4 days out of 5 would suck, and every now an again I would hit a nice run. Problem is that lots of times the LPs/books are cherry picked by the dudes in the store, either for themselves or some enterprising record/book dude has taken it upon themselves to grease some palms or just set aside stuff for certain regulars. When Floyd the record dealer used to run his stall at Eastern Market in DC, he drove a cab, so his routine was to hit every thrift store as close to opening as he could EVERY DAY. You do this for a while and it ain't long before people are holding that box of Blue Notes in the back for you on the regular. Downside is they will also probably start charging you more for that shit.

So persistence and luck is key with the thrifts! But it does seem dry compared even to the late 90s for sure.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

SanRemo 1970...Italian comp featuring Patty Pravo and other...every cut is funky italian pscych go-go craziness...what is the deal with these comps?

I got a bunch of San Remo comps. They go back to the 50's I think. "Festival de la canzione San Remo" (or something like that) was a italian song competition festival. They are pretty common in Argentina.

And dude on bottom left is Nicola Di Bari. I'm an expert.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    James Simpson Band Penetration "On the Money (Bounce Get Down) 12" sealed...does anybody know this record? what does it sound like!?

Thats the Penco one?

There used to be a lot of sealed copies around here... I passed but I think Marco grabbed... I may have been sleeping at the time but I thought it wasn't good...

• yes...it's on Penco. Is it a disco-rap sound?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

OG

And David Ruffin- In my stride

However I anhilated the spot for 45'sP: James Brown, mad Dionne warwick, david Ruffin(doubles), motown(four tops, jermaine jackson) Lennon Ono band, 5th elcectrical orchestra (or something), Bread(yes!!!),Sylvers , sarah vaughn, and many more
    All on reserve (let you know on the weekend) 3 for a $ sale

• Alexander Spence - Oar

reissue - Edsel records

1$

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    yes...it's on Penco. Is it a disco-rap sound?

No, just disco

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Yeah, I had it, Raj has it now. It's a good record, bust that seal open. It's not super rare, but it's worth opening up and playing out. It's a good boogie record.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Bread(yes!!!),

I sure hope you're joking. If Bread = Anhillation... I'm fucking RAMBO

• Bread(yes!!!),

I was wondering for a minute if there was something I was missing because I have never thought twice about buying a bread record.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Bread(yes!!!),

Dont get it meaty

Not anhialation

Just happy to find nice 45's for 33ct

I like bread

I guess i said "yes!" to reproduce the feeling i got. The spot had 8 crates of 45 I had gone through 3 and it was all crap and jamaican stuff from 2000 but then i pull a sylvers..nice and then motown...nice.. and bread... It felt like i was on a roll

That is all

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Bread(yes!!!),

I was wondering for a minute if there was something I was missing because I have never thought twice about buying a bread record.

As in, I bought one once, and then never thought about doing it again!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I like bread

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Thanks to Bapt for hipping me to the Panchito Martin Mena, have you found one yet?

• Bread(yes!!!),

As in, I bought one once, and then never thought about doing it again!

Haha no, I guess I should have said I never thought once, but that doesn't sound as good.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Highlights from the weekend and beginning of this week.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I like bread

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Don't feel too bad. these same dudes who are givin' ya grief are rockin' the Moments cover of "Baby I'ma Want You".

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Don't feel too bad. these same dudes who are givin' ya grief are rockin' the Moments cover of "Baby I'ma Want You".

Not exactly, I was rockin' this last night:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

*fiddles with iPod...ahhhyeaaah...*

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    its all good on the strut

In any case they got nothing on this latin heati pulled

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Thanks, chris.

Thanks, chris.

I think we're all thanking chris right now...

• chrischris 287 Posts
    Thanks, chris.

I think we're all thanking chris right now...

ha, i saw the "Records you would KILL for?" thread and knew something had to be done.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Highlights from the weekend and beginning of this week.
    brilliant finds!!!

now for the questions. whats to the right of on any sunday? what's to the left of carolyn hester? whats maria? and what are the bottom 3 that arent papaya?