You're Kicking Yourself for it (RR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
what records as a newb have you passed up for cheap cuz you didn't know the sounds within or the value of it??? yes a tad bit embarrassing but starting it off: GO!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't like to think about it.

a pasted butcher cover comes to mind. I was too busy stroking off over a copy of ? & the mysterians to give it a close look. Coulda had it for $10

Lotsa shit though. I unknowingly passed on a record within the last year that has since become a top want of mine. Coulda had it for a buck at the thrift shop.

and let's not even start on traded away stuff...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I had no idea about 99% of the good stuff from my own country for ages. i was busy looking for james brown in my local spot when they undoubtedly had heaps of aussie stuff I had no clue about.

Passed on a gang of KPMs before i knew what they were too. Didn't even bother flipping the over - i thought they were all multiple copies of some wack house 12"s!

OH, and there was this one time when i stumbled across this crate of records, and all the covers were variations of the same theme. I remmeber flipping through and picking out the one with 'vibraphone' on the front because i had heard that this instrument was good to sample. It was years later that I realised that this crate was actually a complete set of the French Telemusic Library records - i coulda had them all, and instead i just bought the vibraphone one!

Idiot mark!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    where I screwed myself was in trades with both friends and store owners. A few mistkaes:

Grant Green Alive -- traded for a chick corea record

Roy Ayers -- the one with summer madness -- traded for meters disco album *edit (Sunshine!!)edit*

2 david axelrod --(forget which ones exactly -- I traded cause there were no breaks on em.)

les McCann -- Layers -- I just wasnt feelin it(??!)

The Funk Inc (where they're hanging on the stoop.)

Lyn Collins -- the album before 'think'

Jimmy Smith -- Live at the Rootdown

Countless Others

I've gotten all these records back one way or another with the exception of Alive, which for the record, I only traded in the first place cause my friend said they had it at Arons in LA. They didnt.

What cuked about these trades is that I was practically giving away records that I should have understood in the first place.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    word Crink. but i'd thought it'd make an interesting topic.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    word Crink. but i'd thought it'd make an interesting topic.

oh, it does. I know some folls on here who have passed on

"I'm not paying $20 for that!"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Passed on a gang of KPMs before i knew what they were too. Didn't even bother flipping the over - i thought they were all multiple copies of some wack house 12"s!

haha. yea yea, this is the type of shit i'm talking about. keep 'em coming!

It was years later that I realised that this crate was actually a complete set of the French Telemusic Library records - i coulda had them all, and instead i just bought the vibraphone one!

ouch! THAT i can not laugh at.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    A small washroom full of 70's disco,funk,soul lp's and 45's i was only able to salvage 2 small boxes of the 45's and a handful of the lp's.A friend and i where given the opportunity to clearout all the records in the room.My mistake was thinking that i had time to do this task,i wasn't aware we had time constraints,they had plans to burn the records [/b] and they did.
    I have mentally blocked out some of what i saw in the room to keep my sanity.
    And another time i turned my nose up on 2 Axelrod records (songs of innocence & Marchin')i didn't know any better at the time i was still in my "Only black people with afro's on cover, make music that's funky" stage i've learnt better since that time

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    Don Blackmon for $10. Not too many others (at least outright steals) I can think of though. I was real close to walking away from Lyn Christopher for like $8, cuz I couldn't remember what the hype was about. Just a real real foggy idea that it should be grabbed.

I always think about the records that were there in the store but mis-filed (or stashed?) in the artist sections I skip through. Like what's been hiding in that big ass Count Basie section I never look at?

I'm sure there's still plenty of stuff I put back that is dope and/or valuable, but just don't have quite enough compelling reasons for me to take the plunge and buy that shit and then never getting around to researching what exactly it was. No Sense looking back...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That's the worst feeling. I know I've had a few, and I think "shit, I had that record in my hands, and I put it down".

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i left sir joe quarterman LP for $30 a long time ago. record ray saw me in a store, thinking about buying it and he said, "yeah, that one turns up." i figured id find it cheaper, so i left it. im sure he bought it, too.
    found it again 3 years go for $40, so its cool.

i left a "was dog a doughnut" 12 for a dollar once. cant explain that one.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    There really haven't been many that I am aware of, since my style is to grab lots of shit for a buck or two, but the big one that comes to mind was a sealed OG of "Death Rap" for $2. It happened at a point when I should have known better too! I had already grabbed like 60 similar early hip-hop and disco 12"s- a bunch of which I didn't know anything about then either- and as I held it in my hands there was this combination of a) digging fatigue, b) having been fooled by some bad gospel rap from the same spot before and seeing "Heavenly Star" on the label, and c) thinking I could come back and get it next time if my curiosity was still nagging me.

Doh!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

there was a reggae collection that arrived at one of my spots some time ago. i picked up about 6 or 7 albums at the time, and stupidly figured i could come back for the others. nope. that shit was gone. at least i picked up the first ras michael lp though. i don't even want to say how much shit i missed out on though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Kicking myself for not picking this up.

Should have known, my local hustler would grab it!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Barry White's "I Love To Sing the Songs I Sing" CD for 7 bucks.

The last time it was sold by an Amazon z-shop, it was priced at and subsequently sold to someone (not me) for $77 dollars.

CD RAER.

SG

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dorothy Ashby- dorothy's harp for 2 bucks still haunts me. Willie Dynomite OST, bought it but shoulda kept it. oh well...

• attic in pittsburgh was holding a meters S/T and Walter Benton quintet-out of this world (the one with Chambers, Hubbard, Kelly) for me because i was waiting for a paycheck right before the flood ruined almost the entire store (including my holds). Later i found out Jello Biafra was standing right there when i found them, i remember him saying something like "Damn, I shoulda been looking over there."

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    why didnt you just buy them?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

attic in pittsburgh was holding a meters S/T and Walter Benton quintet-out of this world (the one with Chambers, Hubbard, Kelly) for me because i was waiting for a paycheck[/b] right before the flood ruined almost the entire store (including my holds). Later i found out Jello Biafra was standing right there when i found them, i remember him saying something like "Damn, I shoulda been looking over there."

attic in pittsburgh was holding a meters S/T and Walter Benton quintet-out of this world (the one with Chambers, Hubbard, Kelly) for me because i was waiting for a paycheck[/b] right before the flood ruined almost the entire store (including my holds). Later i found out Jello Biafra was standing right there when i found them, i remember him saying something like "Damn, I shoulda been looking over there."
    why would you be in a record store with no money?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    five finger discount

• why didnt you just buy them?

Lets just say I was going through a rough period in my life. Since then i have a credit card for such predicaments

Lets just say I was going through a rough period in my life. Since then i have a credit card for such predicaments
    how much were they askin for them? knowin the attic them shits musta been wrecked

• hard to believe but it was 25 for both. Man, im trying to forget about this

hard to believe but it was 25 for both. Man, im trying to forget about this
    it's cool. you'll find them again

• actually found the walter benton in baltimore about two months later for $5

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I went to the ol soundwarehouse back in '88 to grab the new Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation" LP...while in the "S" section I stumbled upon the "Sub Pop 100" comp LP, thought about buying it instead, but I had to hear that new Sonic Youth jernt so I put the Sub Pop LP back(shit was going for a grand at one point in the late 90s)....shit, I was 17, thats my excuse I will stick with for being a dumbass.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    At a record show last year, dude had a bunch of 60's soul promo lp's...one was the O.V. Wright "If Only For Tonight" LP on Backbeat, first version of his first LP, repressed a few times over the years, a clean promo copy like this would sell on the Bay for well over a C note...it was $20...I looked at the label and had some weird pseudo-expert-record-snob episode where I decided it was a bootleg (never mind that now I would pay $20 for a nice boot of it) because the label looked "suspect" and put it down and walked away. 3 minutes later I was like, "what am I thinking?" and went back, just in time to see another seller from the show walking away with it, probably to sell for megabucks online...I was very unhappy. Did get a minty white label of Don Covay "See Saw" LP from same dude for $15, tho, so that helped ease the pain.

Also passed on an $18 copy of Willie Dynamite at the S*lem Re*ord E*chan*e a while back, both me and my boy who was with me laugh at ourselves all the time about that, we were standing there making up excuses for why it would be bad:

"...well, it's J.J. Johnson"(??)

"...and vocals by Martha Reeves? Ugh!"

"$18?? Surely they must be joking."

funny how there are records you won't spend XXX amount of dollars on at one point, but once you know about them, you'll pay double, triple that amount...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Melvin Bliss "Synthetic Substitution" went for $30-something on ebay back in '99. I was like, "I can get it cheaper."

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I??ll never forgive myself for passing on Ike Turner??s A black man??s soul for $15 and Marlena Shaw??s Spice of life (OG) for $3.50,
    cos?? I knew nothing about them at that time.

Ignorance really hurts!

Peace