weekend day finds RR

crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
a few of my savation army digs from yesterday:SEALED OG PETER BROWN HEAT THAT I WANT TO POP OPEN AND LISTEN TO RIGHT NOW BUT CAN'T BECAUSE I NEED TO EBAY THIS PRONTO!!!private press (i guess) 2 lp US Air Force Men of Note jazz band lp entitled "Crystal Gardens" from 1985 but sounds classic and features a funky vocal version of Freddie Hubbard/Mark Murphy's "Red Clay" which has the same intro as the OG that was sampled by ATCQ...really nice listen. crazy Polish lp on Muza from 1980...a couple disco cuts, a few open drums breakbeat funk cuts, really solid lp all the way thru...some moody loops in there too!this was sealed too...really nice boogie tune featuring Plunky from Oneness of Juju and other members of that band and members of B.B. and Q Band!

Comments

• just did a google on that polish lady and a popsike came up...$210 on one of her other lps...nice!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hey P*trick,
    Those look pretty sweet. I wish my Salvation Armies kicked ass like yours
    Good finds!

• usually nyc sal's suck but i've been making a point of exploring every sal's in the outer reaches of queens and brooklyn and it's paying off!

i put up 20 boogie/modern 12"s i got at a queens sal's...didn't post to the strut but they are really good...it's been a good week! i'm about to head out to this other sal's in a bit...will report back later.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    a few of my savation army digs from yesterday:

crazy Polish lp on Muza from 1980...a couple disco cuts, a few open drums breakbeat funk cuts, really solid lp all the way thru...some moody loops in there too!

She's actually Russian.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

crazy Polish lp on Muza from 1980...a couple disco cuts, a few open drums breakbeat funk cuts, really solid lp all the way thru...some moody loops in there too!

She's actually Russian.

And the label is not Muza, but Melodia (thanks, Grope )

• yes, sorry about the blatant campaign of disinformation!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

SEALED OG PETER BROWN HEAT THAT I WANT TO POP OPEN AND LISTEN TO RIGHT NOW BUT CAN'T BECAUSE I NEED TO EBAY THIS PRONTO!!!

you sure thats og? there's a reissue / repress on this

• yes, trust me, i realize if i sell it i'll really have to make my case. but consider: i found this at a salvation army in a part of brooklyn where there are no new record stores...it was with a couple other sealed disco 12"s...it has a vintage $1.99 price tage on it...it has dust and some light browning from age...don't know what more i can say really!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yes, trust me, i realize if i sell it i'll really have to make my case. but consider: i found this at a salvation army in a part of brooklyn where there are no new record stores...it was with a couple other sealed disco 12"s...it has a vintage $1.99 price tage on it...it has dust and some light browning from age...don't know what more i can say really!

SOLD

you've heard this track right?? MENTAL

• damn that's some crazy shit. the salvation army in my area just stopped carrying records not like they had anything anyway.

and the other store i hit up has all these empty west end disco sleeves, wtf ?!

• yo patrick you should really sell something else if you need the money. that is the best record peter brown ever worked on.

• yes, those boots were all over town and i listened to it...just 10 minutes of the rawest hip-hop disco breaks i've ever heard! but i can't say i've seen even the boots around in a while...it was one of the first 12"s peter started reissuing...along with "death rap".

but i still hope that if i sell it i'll be able to conclusively prove it's the OG...it's hard to put that across...and it's not like i really want to say that i got this from a thrift store because then people know i spent $1.99 on it and they will be spending much more...funny thing is though, the old price tag on it is $1.99!

the other sealed disco record i found with it is Laura Greene "let me blow your whistle" and it has under the seal a sticker on the sleave listing the name of the track and stuff...i already have this record so it's easy to part with...nice 12" actually...the b-side is a track called "Manhattan" that i played at alldisco once...it's all about how manhattan is full of so many people struggling to get by...really cool track.

• yo patrick you should really sell something else if you need the money. that is the best record peter brown ever worked on.

maybe but if i can get the reish for $4 it's the same thing no?

i am trying to hustle and save up and get the new imac g5 with the intel processor!

• das es very true.
    i guess i just thought you were hardcore.
    damn.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    do they have a reissue for 4 bucks? I'll trade you some disco goodies for it. Still haven't moved any of those 12"s I got. I need to send you a list. Major slacking on my part.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    ...and it's not like i really want to say that i got this from a thrift store because then people know i spent $1.99 on it and they will be spending much more...funny thing is though, the old price tag on it is $1.99!

Hahahaha dude let's be real, every record on e-bay was purchased for $1.99!!! But yeah that may sound tacky in an e-bay description.

The Laura Greene is fairly common. Never quite took a liking to it.

And stay away from my Sal's in Queens, thanks in advance!

• I AM HARDCORE!

but not a collector...i like the hunt more than the hoarding.

nathan...love to see a list!

maybe i should confirm that reissues of michael campbell are still floating around...can any new yawkers confirm?

• i found my one white what at the queens sal's...Silicon Soul "Who Needs Sleep Tonight" 12" og...love that tune. actually my dj partner was with me and found it but he had a heart and let me take it. i love that sal's because records are $1.00 like they should be!

i think the trick to sal's is not working 9 to 5 and going during the weekdays.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

^^^ this looks amazing, pumpkin on drums! besides boogie, what's the sound like? d-train, junei?

recent digs:

nathan davis needs no intro, but the bottom LP, moebius, is a weird art-rock, devo-ish group. a drum and moog version of 'light my fire'? NICE.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

private press (i guess) 2 lp US Air Force Men of Note jazz band lp entitled "Crystal Gardens" from 1985 but sounds classic and features a funky vocal version of Freddie Hubbard/Mark Murphy's "Red Clay" which has the same intro as the OG that was sampled by ATCQ...really nice listen.

Nice scoop.

A great version of Clay that decends into a nice vocal scat number. Production is fairly raw for a mid 80's production, yet the recording is as clear as a direct-to-disc.

Not much on the rest of the LP, but the Clay cover is different and special.

• I can't believe you dropped 200+ on that. Really??

For the record, anybody who wants my copy can have it for 200. Hell I'll give you a discount. $190. Single file line, no pushing plaese.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts

private press (i guess) 2 lp US Air Force Men of Note jazz band lp entitled "Crystal Gardens" from 1985 but sounds classic and features a funky vocal version of Freddie Hubbard/Mark Murphy's "Red Clay" which has the same intro as the OG that was sampled by ATCQ...really nice listen.

Nice scoop.

A great version of Clay that decends into a nice vocal scat number. Production is fairly raw for a mid 80's production, yet the recording is as clear as a direct-to-disc.

Not much on the rest of the LP, but the Clay cover is different and special.

I found one of those the other day. The one i found has rock song covers on one side but the flip side has two soul songs that sound like they were recorded in the 70s. They maybe covers but i dont recognize the names of the songs. you could easily put them in a mix and nobody would know they were recorded in '84.

• Larry McGee- We're #1 Super STEELERS disco 45
    Freddy Waters- Super STEELERS 45

Wilson Pickett- Hey Jude (beautiful copy)
    Andrew Hill- Dance with Death
    Ohio Players- Rattlesnake
    Mandrill- Just outside of town (w/ booklet)
    Bags Meets Wes (ojc pressing )
    Carter Jefferson- Rise of Atlantis
    Atilla Zoller- Common Cause
    Don Pullen- Tomorrows Promises

steelers.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Ohio Players- Rattlesnake

great album that never gets mentioned. in the 'pleasure pain ecstasy climax' series, rattlesnake needs to replace climax.

I can't believe you dropped 200+ on that. Really??

For the record, anybody who wants my copy can have it for 200. Hell I'll give you a discount. $190. Single file line, no pushing plaese.
    I just wanted to hear it.

• I can't believe you dropped 200+ on that. Really??

Rey, how does this lopsided "buy overpriced and sell underpriced" jibe with your "hustla" persona?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I can't believe you dropped 200+ on that. Really??

Rey, how does this lopsided "buy overpriced and sell underpriced" jibe with your "hustla" persona?

GAME ON BLAST

Who knows--it's a blast though.

• Who knows--it's a blast though.

does your mom feel the same way?