To Fix Record Covers Or Not?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I use to not mess with record covers. If they were all beat up and torn I'd just leave them. About a year ago however I started taping them up. But lately I've been thinking that looks a little tacky sometimes and have gone back to just leaving the covers as is.What's your policy towards beat up covers, fix em up or leave em?

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    if the seam has come un-glued...i re-glue it. if its split and is a common record i try to replace it. if its a rare piece and its only a 2 or 3 inch split i leave it alone and look for a replacement. if its totally split i tape it with nice clear tape (not scotch tape!!!). scotch tape looks corny!

• (not scotch tape!!!). scotch tape looks corny!
    how about those motherfuckers who taped seams with masking tape, or better yet electric tape? i hate finding records like that.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    (not scotch tape!!!). scotch tape looks corny!
    how about those motherfuckers who taped seams with masking tape, or better yet electric tape? i hate finding records like that.

I mean, seriously, WTF? Duct tape! WHY!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yeah, I've been re-gluing covers, but I'm talking bout the ones that have splits all the way down an entire side.

• I'd never tape covers. If it's split, then it's split. Taping only reduces the value.
    Just put a tight-fitting plastic sleeve over the cover.
    Perfect look and feel. No one will ever find out your dirty secret.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I'd never tape covers. If it's split, then it's split. Taping only reduces the value.
    Just put a tight-fitting plastic sleeve over the cover.
    Perfect look and feel. No one will ever find out your dirty secret.

dirty little secret indeed...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    you could always put the rcord in a plastic sleeve. If it is that beat up.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I use to not mess with record covers. If they were all beat up and torn I'd just leave them. About a year ago however I started taping them up. But lately I've been thinking that looks a little tacky sometimes and have gone back to just leaving the covers as is.

What's your policy towards beat up covers, fix em up or leave em?

Could LP cover restoration be the next topic on Antiques Roadshow?

BTW, Masking tape - obnoxious.

It annoys the shit out of me but I give the people a pass considering they probably put it on there 25 years ago.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Besides it adds to the patina of the album.

• you could always put the rcord in a plastic sleeve. If it is that beat up.

I put almost all of my records in a plastic sleeve. I don't really fuck with tape or glue.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

thats the method right thur.. though i recomend a bone folder not a nail file ...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Why would anyone care to repair the cover of "Hispanoamerica al estilo de Conrrado"??

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    If I have a lot of beat up covers I usually roll up a spliff and start reparing them. However I only glue euro styled covers (not US thick cardboard, these are just stuck in nice pvc sleeves). The idea showed with clue & cardboard (new greamlin?) is new to me. Think I'll leave that alone. It's kinda cheatin!

I just found a record I'd been looking for, for 10 years (Peter Belli debut lp). Some jerk put brown tape on the seams. It might rip the cover. Would you leave it on?

• Why not just put them in Plastic Sleeves? Though if I had time that could be a fun project gluing them back, shoot I would just cut them up and make myself some dope art work....

• Could LP cover restoration be the next topic on Antiques Roadshow?

My girl works for Antiques Roadshow...I've been trying to talk her about getting the the producers to do a Digging/Record segment. Maybe this is my in....