dance house essentials

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    If you want to go back to the beginning then Ten City, Marshall Jefferson, T-Coy, A Guy Called Gerald, Frankie Knuckles, Tony Humphries, 808 State, Tom Salta, Joe Smooth, Technotronic, Rhythm Is Rhythm and DJ Pierre, among others, all had something new to say back then. I think it was something about taking lots of drugs.

Bigfishlittlefishcardboardbox. Sorted.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Someone recommend me a few "classic" house mixes that I can still buy and I'll order them shits right now.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If you want to go back to the beginning then Ten City, Marshall Jefferson, T-Coy, A Guy Called Gerald, Frankie Knuckles, Tony Humphries, 808 State, Tom Salta, Joe Smooth, Technotronic, Rhythm Is Rhythm and DJ Pierre, among others, all had something new to say back then. I think it was something about taking lots of drugs.

Bigfishlittlefishcardboardbox. Sorted.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Oh, and Joey Beltram, Phase II and Stakker Humanoid

Look out for 12" reissues of classic house on the S12 label (UK I think) and see if you can find Harvey's Late Night Sessions on the Ministry of Sound label...

Mullered, mate.

• Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You (Hell Yes!)[/b]

the singer on the track, benjamin diamond, has a soft spot with me. His stuff is destinctly frech house, but somehow his poor grasp of english stop his songs from being out and out cheese, and make them kinda cute.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    and insert pal joey listing....now.

exactly. this goes for anything with his name on it, basically.

• what are some essentials?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    what are some essentials?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Older...

George Kranz "Din Da Daa"

Kim Syms "Too Blind To See It"

Inner City "Good Life"

KC Flight "Voices"

Blaze "My Beat"

Newer...

DJ Gregory Block Party

Iz & Diz "Mouth (Brad Peep's remix For Friends)" (for fans of burnin')

Slow Supreme "Granada"

Francios K feat. Barbara Mendes "Awakening" (Deodato drops a good solo)

Abstract Truth "We Had A Thing"

• a lot already said, cosign on much of the classics urrs dropped. Grab a lot of those, tracks like 'Good Life' have aged very well. Frankski is my schitt and an early baltimore booty thing.

I like that Jazztronik record, one of the best releases on Chez. A lotta broken beat can get boring but there is jams to be had, I'm not totally up on it, but check Senji's 'Loose Lips'. A big hit but classic. I've seen Charlie Dark (from Attica Blues) and Senji spin a few times, those cats are definitely worth hearing. They know how to freak that sound live.

Theo Parrish's Ugly Edits series is pretty solid, I have many but have passed on a few. Some swear by them. Ugly Edit #9 re-edits and puts a backbeat to Sugar Pie DiSanto and Etta James' 'In the Basement' and its definitely a weiner. As in winner.

Seven Grand Housing Authority (aka Terrence Parker) "Love's Got Me High" is a killer detroit thang from '95, reissued on Tigersushi a few years back and worth tracking down.

If you like geto/booty house, the Dance Mania label outta Chicago has TONS of releases, not all of them good by a longshot, but there is many gems. Check for folks like DJ Deeon, DJ Funk, Paul Johnson, DJ Milton, DJ Fatman, etc. etc. More minimal, a little bit of an acquired taste, and a little tracky, but if you're going thru records fast enough in a set they can set shit off to the

That DJ Gregory track is pretty tight as well, he's done some good shit. Outta france, right? Africanism has some good shit, haven't bought everything on that label but some good afro/latin inspired house.

I could never get behind that Stardust track, but after seeing DJ Assualt rock in on 45, I was convinced. As long as its in a booty set on the wrong speed, I'm all 'bout it.

Pal Joey ran his own label for a while called 'Loop d' Loop' and all the early releases on that label are worth a listen.

On the old school tip, I still rock Adeva's 'Respect', a nice '88 house take on the Aretha uber hit. Good vocals. Also can't from on Longsy D's 'This is Ska'. Acid Ska is probably one of the shortest lived micro-genre's out there, lasting for a year or so. But that is a classic and I think still in print via the Warlock label. And one of my faves is Precious 'Definition of a Track'. Killer baseline.

$??

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• House can be disected into so many sub categories. Im tellin you theres a new genre every month. I would follow house music and its dj's almost religously a few years ago (pre RUDY era in NYC). Most hiphop, funk, soul, heads that I know dont stray to far from funky, latin, afro, and deep house. Thats really where its at for me. I cant get into techy, bleepy, dark, progressive house. Sounds to robotic and druggy for me.

These are few dudes I would check. Both mixes and production :

Bob Sinclar
    Masters At Work Dimitri From Paris Roger Sanchez
    Miguel Migs
    Fred Everything

• Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It
    E.S.P - It's You
    2 House People - Move My Body
    Femme Fion - Jack the House
    Farley Jackmaster Funk - Farley Knows House
    The It - Thanks For the Traxx You Gave Me
    Armando - 151
    Frankie Knuckles - Your Love
    On The House featuring Marshall Jefferson - Ride The Rhythm
    Fingers Inc. - A Path

Rhythm Is Rhythm - Strings Of Life
    Rhythm Is Rhythm - It Is What It Is
    The Force - The Sound
    Reese & Santonio - Bang Your Body To the Box
    Blake Baxter - When We Used To Play
    Reese - Rock To the Beat
    Inner City - Good Life

DJ Chip - Bank Ski
    DJ Funk - Pump It
    DJ Deeon - Let Me Bang

Moodyman - Shades Of Jae

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Masters at Work f. Roy Ayers - Our Time is Coming (Jazzanova Remix)[/b]

My love for this record goes beyond words.

That's it right there. I heard it on a Moose/FunkDC mix CD here in chocolate city and the Jazzanova remix just floored me. And that Jazztronik 'Samurai' gets loads of respect too, why was it dissed on SS?

I'd also add -- maybe redundant now with all the good suggestions already --

David Alvarado -- pretty much everything. Maya Songs was brilliant.

Early Basement Jaxx EPs.. check Set Yo Body Free and their brazilian party trax

Daft Punk remixes... they did an i:cube remix that was just bonkers

Timewriter -- the first album

And my all time favorite Idjut Boys -- sheer brilliance.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    And that Jazztronik 'Samurai' gets loads of respect too, why was it dissed on SS?

i think it got dissed cause it sounds like a cheap korg triton wank fest ..

though cheap and korg triton s an oxymoron...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    From the last house thread I said I was going to listen to classic house all day.

Here is my track list for that day. Not all of it is great... But there are a couple of bangers in there. Loads of memories! Some from droppin' these at parties, to buyin' the record, to just hearing it in the shop when they first came on the scene when I was working.

There are plenty of more tracks I could have posted! But this is wot I got at work...

Oh, and Dance was asked for. But I refuse to listen to most dance stuff since Euro wrecked it for me in the mid 90's

Adonis - No way back

#1 Fresh Tunes - Do you know what I mean

Bizarre - I'm gonna get you

Donnie - The It

Farley Jackmaster Funk - Funking with the drums again

E.S.P. - It's you

Chip E - Like This

Kenny Jammin Jason w/ Fast Eddie - Can U Dance

Marshall Jefferson - Move your body

Lil Louis - Club Lonely

Steve Silk Hurley - Jack Your Body

4th Measure Man - Just a dream

todd terry project - to the batmoblile

Ultra Nate - Free

MAW - f/ India - Backfired (Joey Negro mix)

Lindell Townsell - Nu Nu

Tyree Cooper - Tee's Revenge

Gypsymen - Hear the music

House of Gypsies - Samba

Blunted Dummies - House 4 all

Tim Deluxe - we all love sax

Mix Masters - It's about time

Mouse master Boyz - House nation

Robert Owens - I'll be your friend

Lil Louis - Atmosphere

Jungle Brothers - I'll House you

Ralph Rosario - You use to hold me

Black Science Orchestra - New Jersey Deep

Jaydee - Plastic dreams

Richie Rich - Salsa House

Cajmere - Brighter Days

Bucketheads - The Bomb

joe Smooth - Promised Land

MAW - Feat. India - I can't get no sleep

Nu Civilization - Wake up

Sade - I never thought I'd See The Day (Bootleg Mix)

Submission - Women beat their men

Boris Dlugosch - Keep Moving On

Green Velvet - Preacherman

Black Riot - A Day In The Life

A guy call gerald - Voodoo Ray

Alyus - Follow me

Armand Van Helden - You don't even know me

ARMANDO - 100% OF DISIN YOU

Armando -151

BASEMENT JAXX - FLY LIFE

Blapps Posse - Rock the discotheques

Bobby Conders - Birds & Trees (Remix)

BYRON STINGILY - GET UP

CeCe Rogers-Someday

Cybill - Love So Special

Chez Damier - Can you feel it

CJ BOLLAND - SUGAR IS SWEET

Clivilles & Cole - A Deeper Love (A Deeper Feeling Mix)

DHS - HOUSE OF GOD

Earth People - Dance

EDDIE AMADOR - HOUSE MUSIC

EON - SPICE

Farley Jackmaster Funk & Daryl Pandy - Love Camedia:/sda1/Music/House/n't Turn Around

Farley Jackmaster Funk - Acid Trip

FAST EDDIE - ACID THUNDER

FINGERS INC - CAN YOU FEEL IT

Frankie Knuckles & Satoshi Tomie - Tears

Frankie Knuckles - The Whistle Song

George Kranz - Din Daa Daa

George Kranz vs Lil Louis - Din Daa Daa French Kiss (ben liebrand mix)

GUSTO - DISCO'S REVENGE

HardDrive - DEEP INSIDE

hithouse - Jack to the Sound of the Underground

Humanoid - Stakker

Jay Williams - Sweat

Jesse Saunders-Love Can't Turn Around

LFO - LFO

LIL LOUIS - FRENCH KISS

LIL LOUIS - I'M HOT FOR YOU

LNR - WORK IT TO THE BONE

M1 - FEEL THE DRUMS

MARK ROGERS - TWILIGHT

Maurice - This Is Acid

MK - BURNING

MODJO - LADY

MR FINGERS - CAN YOU FEEL IT

Nicolette - Dove Song

NIGHTCRAWLERS - PUSH THE FEELING

Nightmares On Wax - Dextrous

Nitro Deluxe - Let's Get Brutal

Nomad - (I wanna Give You) Devotion

Paul_Johnson - Get Down Remix

Prodigy - Everybody is in the Place (original)

RAZE - BREAK FOR LOVE

Raze - Jack The Groove

Reese Santonio - The Sound

Sterling Viod -It's+Alright

Tyree Cooper - Turn Up The Bass

richie rich - My Dj (pump it up some)

Royal House - Can You Party

Royal House - Yeah Buddy

RUFFNECK - EVERYBODY WANTS SOMEBODY

SAGAT - FUNK DAT

STEVE POINDEXTER - WORK THAT MUTHA FUCKER

ten city - Thats the way love is

Ten City - Whatever makes you happy

The Don - The Horn Song

THE GOODMEN - GIVE IT UP

THE MD CONNECTION - MAGIC FEET

THE MD XPRESS - GOD MADE FUNKY

The Mixmaster - Grand piano

TODD TERRY - BANGO

Todd Terry - Don't Get Carried Away

todd terry project - weekend

Tricky Disco - Tricky Disco

Tyree & JMD - Move Your Body

Tyree - Let The Music Take Control

MASTERS AT WORK - WHAT A Sensation (Kenlou)

THE POLICE - VOICES INSIDE MY HEAD (Classic Mix)

Starlight - Numero Uno

CLEPTOMANIACS_VS_STEVIE Wonder - All I Do

Shit, I wish I could upload from work. I need a couple of mixes identified for me. One being a mix of that MAW - Our time is coming track. I've heard like 10 and none were the mix I heard gilles peterson play once.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    And that Jazztronik 'Samurai' gets loads of respect too, why was it dissed on SS?

dude, just let it go man. We've covered this already, no need to start another 5 pager....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I would recommend Jazzanova "That Night" (wahoo mix) if you like the "our time is coming" rmx.

also Bob Sinclar is a fictional alias of Chris le french kiss, aka the man behind Yellow Records from France. Lots of solid releases there and very consistent. Africanism is not a separate label, it's just a series put out by Yellow. Sleeve design is inspired by Soul International Records of Whole Darn Family fame....

dude, just let it go man. We've covered this already, no need to start another 5 pager....

just summarizing the argument dude...

and frankly why cant we have a five page debate about house i'll staet it off:

africanism = snooze alarm bongo house of the most lacklustre boring variety.. this kind of stuff is precisely whats killed off house music as a once thriving underground form of experimental creativity and turned it into chi chi background music for yuppie lounges

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Lately... (Stevie Wonder mental association comes up):

Joey Negro's take of Chaka's "I Know You, I Live You" feat. Yolanda Wyns on vocals.

Kaidi Tatham AKA Agent K. "Feed The Cat" set (oldish, but for "Hands", "Feed The Cat" and "Betcha".)

Sonar Kollektiv sampler vol 4: http://www.sonarkollektiv.com/releases/SK070CD/
    That Sygaire track I really like, plus the Faze Liquid.

Mark de Clive-Lowe: Tide's Arising set. http://www.markdeclivelowe.net/

Simon Grey: Galactica Suite http://www.simongrey.com/

Plus Simon's "One" is

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my point being, we've covered it, we know each other's views. Why drag it out unnecessarily.....

but if you enjoy doing it by all means go ahead.

Africanism is not really for me either, give or take the odd record. That was around the time I stopped listening to house (2000). However, people have been talking about it and asking for info, thought it would be nice to give some out. I personally like Tom & Joyce from Yellow a lot.

I think blaze/basement boys/maw nyc garage put the Toronto club scene in a serious rut, but that doesn't mean I don't think they've put out some classic records.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts

Samurai is definitely not a triton wankfest -- can somebody post a link or something to this track? Sure most strutters may not appreciate it but some folks here (me for one) have a lot of love for tracks liek Samurai, in the 120 bpm range and above... and this is just one of many jazz based broken beat / house type tracks that are worth checking out.

i thought this was meant to be a thread on classic house tracks, not a diatribe on what's wrong with house today and how it's lost its underground cred because of 'bongo music' and 'yuppie lounges'?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Oh, can we have a debate on what killed house (Not saying' house is dead. Just some of the things that really hurt it) in the last 5-8 years?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Samurai is definitely not a triton wankfest -- can somebody post a link or something to this track?

already covered here

nothing ever stays on topic, that's the magic and the curse of soulstrut. Learn to enjoy it....

I think blaze/basement boys/maw nyc garage put the Toronto club scene in a serious rut, but that doesn't mean I don't think they've put out some classic records.

agreed

i will now refrain from negativity

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Oh, can we have a debate on what killed house (Not saying' house is dead. Just some of the things that really hurt it) in the last 5-8 years?

this is a toronto-centric answer for you and dubious....

1) Roxy Blu + 50 promoters throwing the exact same party there

2) dj's buying records from one store = everybody playing the same thing

3) promo/cdr whores = I played such and such promo earlier than you therefore I'm a better dj because I have better connections.

4) money

I still enjoyed that period for what its worth, no hatt.

this is a toronto-centric answer for you and dubious....

1) Roxy Blu + 50 promoters throwing the exact same party there

3) promo whores = I played such and such promo earlier than you therefore I'm a better dj because I have better connections.

4) money

I still enjoyed that period for what its worth, no hatt.

well i got here after the glory days .. it was just fizzling...

i agree with all of the above.. i mean i just read the now's upcoming higlights for 2006 and its Dimitri From Paris

FUCK THAT SHIT... no hate on dimitri but WTF is up with this city.. the same people come over and over and over and play with te same crew over and over and then every body moans about how the scene isnt as good as it used to be.

shit my refraining from negativity lasted al lof 5 minutes

doh!!

but back to the store issue i think that plays a big part in it too.. there is a lack of connection i find in the shops here.. i dont wanna name names but i drop records off at one store in particular and dude straight up tells me "oh i cant sell this here in toronto" ... he buys the stuff cause he likes it personally and he sells it all online to overseas peeps.

i dont know what exactly this says.. but it says something about how conservative the stores and the dj's in this town are.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

It's such a tough deal. All the house cats hit up the same 2-4 stores in NYC.
    A lot of my "house" dj friends have moved to breakbeat w/ the gospel vocals.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    For mid-tempo ish check
    Wonderwheel, Fort Knox, Funk Weapons, Gamm