WEEKEND FINDS

Comments

• These were all $2 this morning at a flea market that shall remain nameless...

Wow, you must be psyched, nice score. Have you checked that Ken Boothe yet? Just wondering what it's like, never seen it before...damn, did I say nice score??

I'm super fuckin psyched dude! I'm listening to one of the Ken Boothes right now (it's hard to see in the pic but the one next to the Boothe with the black cover is called "Every Thing I Own." It has a great cover version of Is It Because I'm Black and a real nice track called Sandie. BTW, I'm a total newbie to this kind of music, though I knew enough to scoop them up when I saw them. I didn't even get to the flea until 10:15 this morning, can't believe nobody got to them before me...

• These were all $2 this morning at a flea market that shall remain nameless...

Wow, you must be psyched, nice score. Have you checked that Ken Boothe yet? Just wondering what it's like, never seen it before...damn, did I say nice score??

I'm super fuckin psyched dude! I'm listening to one of the Ken Bootes right now (it's hard to see in the pic but the one next to the Boothe with the black cover is called "Every Thing I Own." It has a great cover version of Is It Because I'm Black and a real nice track called Sandie. BTW, I'm a total newbie to this kind of music, though I knew enough to scoop them up when I saw them. I didn't even get to the flea until 10:15 this morning, can't believe nobody got to them before me...

nice...

I once attended another East Bay flea really late in the day and somehow caught a whole box of damn clean 70's Jamaican 45's at a buck a pop. Yay Leopolds!

I can't ever remember what I pick up...

* the last week, fuzzily*

New Quantic Los Hermanos edit (killer contemp latin dancefloor edit white label!)

Couple copies of IMP "I'm Rollin"

Johnny Gill- Wrap My Body Tight

Scarface - Only Your Mother w/ Devin and Tela

Dark Shadoos- Stay Real

No Face Phantom f/ Killa Tay, etc - Don't Stop The Music

KEro One f/ King Moist beats 12"

Siouxsie And The Banshees- Killing Jar remix 12"

Clark Terry- Mumbles

Coleman Hawkins- Good Old Broadway (recognize the ill TONE batches )

Hendrix - Cry Of Love (can't pass these for a bean)

Beatnuts- Confused Rappers

Dezo Daz- It's My Turn

YB- Give 'Em What U Got

Rondo aka Crazy Rak- No Justice No PEace

Charles Wright- Doing What Comes Naturally

Guce f/ Messy Moarve - Girls They Love Me ( errrrayyy)

Heaven Sent & Ecstasy LP - (took a coverless copy for a heavy discount)

Junk 12" - forget the name but this is some banging stuff with harmonica and a "cissy strut' theme behind the rap...

DJ Quick/Suga Free- The Konnected PRoject clear wax

ATC- The Beat Is Def/Down By The Bay

my best find of the week by far was discovering how many of my folks were down to come support our band/show, and that they were really feeling the grooves we laid down for them. I love my friends, mayne.

• I once attended another East Bay flea really late in the day late and suprisingly caught a whole box of damn clean 70's Jamaican 45's at a buck a pop. Yay Leopolds!

East Bay flea? Who said anything about East Bay. Nope, no records in the East Bay. No sir.

By the way dude, I'm loving the records you hooked me up with at that show. The Brian Auger-Julie Driscoll jawn is unfadeable.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The Brian Auger-Julie Driscoll jawn is unfadeable.

YESSIR

NIGO AND PHARRELL SHOES AGREE

THIS PICTURE WAS FUNNIER WHEN I FOUND IT

• I once attended another East Bay flea really late in the day late and suprisingly caught a whole box of damn clean 70's Jamaican 45's at a buck a pop. Yay Leopolds!

East Bay flea? Who said anything about East Bay. Nope, no records in the East Bay. No sir.

By the way dude, I'm loving the records you hooked me up with at that show. The Brian Auger-Julie Driscoll jawn is unfadeable.
    ah yes, probably their best to me (i'm ready to clear out the rest of the titles)...

Ellis Island is pretty scorchin'...love the organ riffs on that.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Today, it snowed.

Fucker.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    My new favorite record:

And:

Plus, Esther Marrow's "Sister Woman" LP

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Tony Silvester & The New Ingredient - Magic Touch - Mercury

Check "Kazusa" or whatever that track's called... classic Patrrick Adams prodiction

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I bought 70 lps this weekend, all cheap prices like 2-4 dollars, so here's some titles. Some of the best.

Jeffree: S/T (Mca) http://www.funkjazzsoul.net/jeffree.htm doesn anyone know how tell 1st from 2nd press? Is the 2nd press with the 80's rainbow label that mca had?

Chor und Orchester Frank Valdor: Live in Rio (Europa) with a nice version of "Mas Que Nada" I've seen this listed on several lists/sites and they are all on Somerset. Is this a 2nd press or something?

Nina Simone: Fodder on my Wings

Donny Hathaway: Everything is Everything

3 melba moore lps

couple of roverta flack lps.

Marlena Shaw: From the depths of my soul. This one I was surprised with. It's really good to me.

2 jean carn lps on PIR

Margie Joseph: S/T (Atlantic) this one also sounds good to me.

and my mind fails me from here on. But the rest is just regular soul lps with one nice track on them.

• Options
    They all look original (although the PErry/Wackie's Chapter 1 is an 80's Clocktower comp of tracks released otherwise on 12 and 45. THat said, try and find the "Tighten Up" and "Little Flute CHant (instrumental version to "Words" by Sangie Davis) JA blanks contained within.

K in Canada.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Cilka & The Second Generation "Breakthrough" (Sidro): Small label deal out of Cleveland. Cartoon cover. Has a funky female vocal called "He Left Me Behind". A couple of other cool tracks that try to fuse rock with polka. Except a jazz organ is used in place of the accordion and there's some wah-wah in there.

Mel Williams "A Stranger In Paradise" (Wampus): Private label soul out of Hollywood. Nice mid-tempo ballads plus a funky Wilson Pickett sounding cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends"

Esther Rolle "The Garden Of My Mind" (Savoy, 75)

Valerie Simpson "Exposed" (Tamla, 71)

Bobby Hutcherson "Procession" (Upfront/Springboard): 4 song budget comp. Can't get enough of those vibes

• My new favorite record:

That Cluster is my shit!!! I nabbed that a couple of months ago and have been spinning it regularly ever since. Total Throbbing Gristle type drone rock...

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    na'much at all this weekend

Elyse Weinberg- Elyse
    Jon Lord- Gemini Suite
    Chris Barber- Battersea Rain Dance
    Skip Juried- The Valentine Restaurant

• The Roy Merriwether is dope as hell! "Crucifiction" is some fuzz rock steez! It's no "Newbian Lady" though.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    LP's-

Fela - Zombie (Mercury promo)
    Ann Peebles - Can't Stand the Rain (Hi)

45's-
    Marlena Shaw - California Soul (Cadet)
    The Ray Charles Orchestra - The Sidewinder (Tangerine)

12"s-
    The Pixies - Monkeys Gone to Heaven (4AD)
    Malaria - Kaltes Klares Wasse (cant remember; not the repress)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    a battery powered tap recorder!

AYOOOOO!

But, still, tell us more of this device.

Esther Rolle "The Garden Of My Mind" (Savoy, 75)

I see a PM from Sketch in your near future.

I haven't done this in the longest:

Ocho Ocho (UA Latino, 197?)
    Jorge Ben Africa Brasil (Phillips, 1976)
    Orquestra La Conspiracion Ernie's Conspiracy (Vaya, 1972)
    Marvin Gaye In Our Lifetime [white label DJ Copy] (Tamla, 1981)

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

i like this. what is it?

• They all look original (although the PErry/Wackie's Chapter 1 is an 80's Clocktower comp of tracks released otherwise on 12 and 45. THat said, try and find the "Tighten Up" and "Little Flute CHant (instrumental version to "Words" by Sangie Davis) JA blanks contained within.

K in Canada.

Thanks for the info man. I had a feeling you would have some knowledge to impart to this little dude and I was not wrong. Unfortunately one of the Maytals I scored in the batch had the wrong disc in it but what are you going to do.

• I like how James Taylor and Iron Butterfly made it on the wall in this place!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Only one record this weekend: The Temptations - With A Lot O Soul. Also found out on Friday that my wife has decided to take a sizeable (and very expensive to replace) chunk of my music collection with her when she moves her stuff out. Talk about getting kicked when you are already down. Ouch.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I "found" these 45's in my mailbox yesterday, delivered at last from my internet spot...I got some issues with dude's grading (mad noisy "VG+" 45's are wack), but it's funny how he overprices soul (Lee Rogers was trashed, $10) and underprices funk (Bobby Byrd was a NM white label, $3)...it all seems to even out, with shipping I paid around $4 each:

Soul Brothers Six/You Better Check Yourself/Atlantic
    Fred Wesley & JB's/Same Beat/People
    George Torrence & the Dippers/Fine Foxey Frame/Duo Disc
    Robert Parker/Tip Toe/NOLA
    Newcomers/Mannish Boy/Stax
    Christine Kittrell/Sittin' and Drinkin'/Vee Jay
    Sugarpie DeSanto/Baby, It Ain't Right/Veltone
    Dave & Ansil Collins/Double Barrel/Big Tree (2x stock copies!)
    Bobby Byrd/Hot Pants-I'm Coming, Coming, I'm Coming/Brownstone
    Oscar Weathers/Tell It lIke It Is 1&2/Blue Candle (pt.2 is a crazed "rap!")
    Hot Blood/Soul Dracula/Disques Carrere
    Sir Mack Rice/Mini-Skirt Minnie/Stax
    Junie/Walt's Second Trip/Eastbound
    Lee Rogers/Our Love Is More/D-Town
    Eddie Senay/Ain't No Sunshine/Sussex (dope...)
    Garland Green/Get Rich Quick/Cotillion
    J.J. Barnes/Day Tripper/Ric Tic

...that J.J. Barnes rules, hot crossover with tough guitar!

also some LP's from a local spot:

And from the same spot, best of all, but I can't find a jpeg anywhere, is
    Stu Gardner, "To Soul With Love," Revue LP[/b], an awesome raw late 60's deep soul LP with Gardner playing organ and singing with a small, tight combo...cover is so dope, I wish I had a digital camera...

The Jack Bruce LP is basically a faux-free-jazz effort, not bad at all, but I can't quite figure out where they got all these BREAKS ??

The George McCrae was $1, I had been holding out for a nice cheap one, but this record RULES!

• Options
    They all look original (although the PErry/Wackie's Chapter 1 is an 80's Clocktower comp of tracks released otherwise on 12 and 45. THat said, try and find the "Tighten Up" and "Little Flute CHant (instrumental version to "Words" by Sangie Davis) JA blanks contained within.

K in Canada.

Thanks for the info man. I had a feeling you would have some knowledge to impart to this little dude and I was not wrong. Unfortunately one of the Maytals I scored in the batch had the wrong disc in it but what are you going to do.

What disc was in it?

K.

• They all look original (although the PErry/Wackie's Chapter 1 is an 80's Clocktower comp of tracks released otherwise on 12 and 45. THat said, try and find the "Tighten Up" and "Little Flute CHant (instrumental version to "Words" by Sangie Davis) JA blanks contained within.

K in Canada.

What disc was in it?

K.

The Monkeyman jacket had a 1980 Island Maytals disc in it.

• BTW if anybody has a paragons "on the beach" sleeve let me know. I think my LP is second press anyways but I feel silly with a generic white 12" sleeve

Ditto if anybody has a bob marley "soul revolution" on maroon pt. 1 COVER or pt. 2 SLEEVE. (I have vice-versa: pt. 2 cover and pt. 1 wax)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The Baller is back!

also got a double on the Howard Johnson from '82 if anyone is interested

additional finds from the PCC swap

Simms Brothers[/b] "S/T" (Casablanca)

Lamont Dozier[/b] "Peddlin' Music on the Side" (WB)

Lea Roberts[/b] "Excuse Me I Want To Talk To You" (UA)

Norman Connors[/b] "Saturday Night Special" (Buddah)

Bill Withers[/b] "Just AS I AM" (Sussex) - why I didn't have this before, I don't know...very little dude of me

Michael Wycoff[/b] "Come To My World" (RCA)

Floaters[/b] "Into The Future" (MCA) - the track "LA Magic" is perfect Sunday afternoon shit

and a couple of doubles and triples for the trades list

Donna Washington[/b] "Going For The Glow" (Capitol)

Usha Uthap[/b] "24 Carats" (Inreco) - (triple) - I had another one in the process of being traded but a certan soulstrutter turned bitch on me and never got back after asking me to hold it for him.

• kozzkozz 17 Posts
    My new favorite record:

best germanic synth burner EVER!

best disco breakdown EVER