Honeymoon Strut

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So my girl and I are planning a honeymoon to Europe (specifically Paris) but she feels that it'd be better to book a trip that included visiting 3-5 other countries/cities and I'm more laid back and feel that we should only visit 1-2 countries max - that way we can enjoy each city/country and really get to see it and not check it for a few hours and bounce....What do you guys think? Especially those that have been there and/or live there. We're pretty much set on France and the other possibility was London, but beyond that I'm like let's just chill, enjoy the most in each city and keep it at that. BTW, we're planning on spending 9 days out there. What do you suggest?

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    How much time you got? You really want like 3 days per spot if you really want to be able to chill and not feel like you are constantly "on the go"... And keep in mind 2 days of the whole trip are shot on each end for airtravel. Don't fly Delta those cheap bastards don't give ya free booze on international flights like other airlines do...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    no suggestions from me but let me say Mazel Tov Eric.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    we plan on spending 9 days total (so 7 days really)...

• Ireland is beautiful. My wife and I had a lot of fun in Dublin on our honeymoon.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Well for 7 days, I'd spend 'em all in France maybe 2 or 3 on each end in the City and travel around right in the middle. Or you could go over to london for a couple days or down to spain. Spain is awesome... Oh yeah and congrats!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    my wife and i hit Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Cologne, and Berlin (in that order) in the span of about two weeks. We spent three or so days in Paris and Berlin, but the rest was straight whirlwind. i thought it was cool. kind of like a Whitman's sampler sort of thing. You can get a taste of each and say "oh shit, we need three days in Amsterdam next time." the travel was a little grueling (get a good backpack) but the dope graffiti between cities made it easier to take. if you don't think you're going back anytime soon (which i'm not) you might want to see as much as you can in one shot.

and congratulations, by the way.

• I would go to two places tops, because in that amount of time if you try and do too much it will feel rushed. Try just traveling within France or if you like cities do Paris and Rome or Paris and London. Just figure it will take you a day or two to get used to the time difference and a day to get oriented in a new city. A city like Paris has so much to offer you could live their a lifetime and not see it all. And its usually really easy to plan day trips to small towns right outside of the big city if you start getting board. At the same time you have to compromise with your fianc??, but unless you are both really experienced travelers and are already familiar with the cities where you are going I wouldn't try and go to a bunch of cities.

I am recently engaged and we have been talking about getting married a the court house so we can have more money for a dope honeymoon.

• this has pretty much been said already but i suggest taking your time. you could easily spend the entire time in paris and not get bored. maybe take a day trip or two to something nearby. i wouldnt try to pack too much into one trip. if you guys like travelling then you will be back. like others have said you will feel rushed if you try to do too much. you will probably feel rushed anyways. then again i spent a month in rome and when i left i felt i could have used another week or two. not to mention you are on your honeymoon and will probably not get out of the hotel until 2 pm each day.

congratulations.

• this has pretty much been said already but i suggest taking your time. you could easily spend the entire time in paris and not get bored. maybe take a day trip or two to something nearby. i wouldnt try to pack too much into one trip. if you guys like travelling then you will be back. like others have said you will feel rushed if you try to do too much. you will probably feel rushed anyways. then again i spent a month in rome and when i left i felt i could have used another week or two. not to mention you are on your honeymoon and will probably not get out of the hotel until 2 pm each day.

congratulations.

I spent four months in Rome and I felt rushed.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Rome is off the hook. greek isles also looks tight. Ive never been to paris, but id skip france in general.

• Yo...Suggestions for Rome..will be there in Feb. Only a week. Very excited. Where'd you stay?

• Yo...Suggestions for Rome..will be there in Feb. Only a week. Very excited. Where'd you stay?

Sent PM as to not highjack the thread.

• id skip france in general.

why???

• id skip france in general.

why???

foreal, I hope its not because the french are "mean" to American's because unless you are a big camera toting dufus with a "we will we will bomb you" t shirt who walks around telling everyone we saved your ass in WWII you should be fine.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    id skip france in general.

why???

Yes bsides, why? I would LOVE to go to France. Wifey and I are trying to go to Paris this summer. France is dope. My brother and his wife go a couple times a year and love it! They go to all kinds of other cities besides Paris and always have a great time.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    id skip france in general.

why???

foreal, I hope its not because the french are "mean" to American's because unless you are a big camera toting dufus with a "we will we will bomb you" t shirt who walks around telling everyone we saved your ass in WWII you should be fine.

There is nothing more fun than dropping the "French are chickens" line on a middle-aged French dude who is lecturing you on some point of American cultural inferiority. When I lived there 87-88 I had the opportunity to do this several times and the reactions were always priceless. Dudes would be shook, trying to figure out what to say next. But for real, the French are generally nice people.

If I were you I would spend the whole time in Paris. It is incredibly romantic, the food is phenomenal and there is plenty to see and do between making kissee face and eating. Do yourself a favor and go to a couple of really nice restaurants. We liked Cafe des Delices, which offers fine examples of the new wave of experimental cooking that is hot in Europe right now. They encourage you mix and match sauces from different dishes, they speak good English and remember to ask for the foie gras made like creme brule. I don't even like pate but that shit was super yummy.

Just walking the neighborhoods is a lot of fun. Go to the Musee D'Orsay which houses one of the greatest collections of 19th and 20th century art in the world. Then wander the streets of the left bank, stopping in bookstores, antique shops and grubbing on sammiches and pastry.

There are a number of worthwhile day trips possible from Paris. Versailles, Chartres are pretty well known stops. My wife and I loved visiting Vaux-le-Vicomte last time we were in France. The chateau belonged to Louis XIV's finance minister. The King came for a party, got a little jealous when he saw the place and had the minister thrown in jail. It's that nice. Pack a lunch and wander the magnificent gardens. Hardly any tourists even at the height of the season.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    So my girl and I are planning a honeymoon to Europe (specifically Paris) but she feels that it'd be better to book a trip that included visiting 3-5 other countries/cities and I'm more laid back and feel that we should only visit 1-2 countries max - that way we can enjoy each city/country and really get to see it and not check it for a few hours and bounce....

What do you guys think? Especially those that have been there and/or live there. We're pretty much set on France and the other possibility was London, but beyond that I'm like let's just chill, enjoy the most in each city and keep it at that. BTW, we're planning on spending 9 days out there.

What do you suggest?

3-5 countries in 9 days????? including travel days.

no way.

take it friggin' easy- it's your honeymoon.

hit paris- shit is romantic and beautiful. eat some nice food, drink coffee, smell like the awfully delicious cheese you eat (refer to the Danno3000 post on What is Happiness for more info on cheese).

I'd say hit one other country. I

I'd recommend Italy- Rome is fun but touristy. Sienna is beautiful, mellow, and a sleepy town to spend time in. I spent two weeks there once and loved it. Skip Venice depending on when you're going- beautiful but you'll get mauled by tourists.

I've always wanted to go to Spain. that might be cool.

Never spent much time in London, but nothing really grabbed me when i've been there.

congratulations, good luck, and have fun.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Congrats dude!

Cas and I are also going to Paris on our honeymoon smoochy smoochy, in July, we're spending a week there, I'm very excited. I've been there twice but I was young. This is grown and sexy time. My French is very rusty. We were going to do London too, but decided it would easier and more cost-effective to just stay in Paris and do it lavish.

Any recommendations for cheap flights????

• check out Barcelona or Madrid if you can.

Spain was by far my favorite spot in Europe when i did the backpacking thing.

• i wouldnt go to italy if you are going to paris. just too far away in my opinion. its not impossible. a night train will probably get you there. but i would consider, belguim, holland, luxembourg, or england first. spain is cool too but i think equally far away.

like i said before if you two like travelling you will be back. no need to fit all of europe into one or two weeks.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    This is what I'm talking 'bout. Thanks for all the input. Keep that ish coming...

If we do visit another country we've been talking about Spain and the UK is in there because of London and its closeness to France. We might extend the honeymoon a couple days since we lose time traveling but even still it would be no more than 12 days total...

Thanks for all the congrats also...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

There is nothing more fun than dropping the "French are chickens" line on a middle-aged French dude who is lecturing you on some point of American cultural inferiority. When I lived there 87-88 I had the opportunity to do this several times and the reactions were always priceless. Dudes would be shook, trying to figure out what to say next. But for real, the French are generally nice people.

They were probably trying to think of a comeback to the dumbest thing that had ever been said to them or more likely they just thought you were so rude that they were stunned into silence.

For nine days Paris would be wonderful by itself although if you want to break it up I'd maybe do Amsterdam for a three days (food's not memorable but the city is great in all other respects), or possibly London for a couple of days. London, Amsterdam, Barcelona - they're all les than 90 minute flights from Paris but being from a non EU country it's the customs and immigration that can hold you up at the airport... Congratulations.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    3-5 countries in 9 days????? including travel days. no way.

take it friggin' easy- it's your honeymoon.

Seriously man, take it slow, id say spend the whole time in Paris, the city is HUGE and you need time to adjust, then chill, your honeymoon is time to relax with your lady after a hectic time (just thinking about the buildup to my wedding makes me sweat!) you guys need to just be with each other and not rushing around trying to fit it all in.

We did Paris for our Honeymoon, an amazing city, and dont believe the hype about rude French people, i was pleasantly surprised. a little bit of respect goes a long way.

so yeah, for what its worth, my 2 cents worth is: stay in Paris.

and congratulations man.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    check out Barcelona or Madrid if you can.

Barca is great! Take your time for Paris dude...

also, when wifey sleepy long, get at bapt and hitup the weekend fleamarket at clignancourt

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

also, when wifey sleepy long, get at bapt and hitup the weekend fleamarket at clignancourt

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    If you go to Italy it'd be worth taking some time out in Lake Garda - very chilled, less touristy if you know where to go and also has a truly superb open air Wine Festival which is like the vineyard's answer to Oktoberfest.

You can cover most things in London in a short stay if you want to see the sites etc. Be warned though it can be an almighty rip off especially for hotels and alcohol.

• This is what I'm talking 'bout. Thanks for all the input. Keep that ish coming...

If we do visit another country we've been talking about Spain and the UK is in there because of London and its closeness to France. We might extend the honeymoon a couple days since we lose time traveling but even still it would be no more than 12 days total...

Thanks for all the congrats also...

From Paris for maximum chilledness I would suggest either London or Berlin, if only for the reason that you can get to both places comfortably and quickly by train.

There is a 180mph service called Eurostar that runs London to Paris and takes about 2.5hours and costs about $160USD return. It drops you at Waterloo. I think there is also a high speed link to Berlin but I'm not sure how you would book it.

I'll tell you about London cos thats where I'm from......

In London I recommend you stay in West London, there is a place called Guest House West in Notting Hill which is really nice and another hotel called The Hempel which is close to Paddington station. They're not budget but its your honeymoon and your missus will love the neighbourhood and the shops.

To travel to Italy from Paris is a long way and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're keen to spend a day travelling.

Barcelona is a good fun, but I'm not sure what its like in the winter as I've only ever been in the summer (and it rocks). I think London does winter really well with the pubs, loads of museums and galleries to visit and good parks. Not to mention record stores.

Another city I recommend is Amsterdam. I've just come back from there and its awesome. Loads of awesome museums, good bars and really pretty. You should be able to train there from Paris. The Jordaan area is the best place to stay, Anywhere in the Red Light area gets the .

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    No offence to our UK strutters, but I dont know if London would make the most romantic getaway. Paris certainly, and then I would suggest going to Spain, Italy, or Ireland.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    No offence to our UK strutters, but I dont know if London would make the most romantic getaway. Paris certainly, and then I would suggest going to Spain, Italy, or Ireland.

No offence taken here. London can be romantic when linked to activities within the city but as a venue itself it's pretty lacking in the romance department.

If you're thinking of visiting Ireland beware the rainy season which lasts from 1st June to 31st May.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I'm a Londoner but I might have to agree with the above statement. I love it but for honeymoon standard hotels and meals you will pay considerable more than Paris, Barcelona or Amsterdam. Hotels are the main killer - having written London hotel guides I can give you some great pointers for places to stay but none of them are what you'd call reasonable. Basically, take the price for a chic Manhattan hotel and just replace the dollar with the pound sign. Ouch.