Macworld rumors

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
So Macworld is tomorrow (Tuesday)... anybody got predictions? Latest rumors: intel laptops, video-capable mac mini (similar to Tivo), huge plasma screens, and updates to the shuffle. Tivo-like functionality would be really hot, would definitely pick up a mini for that. Anyone got inside info?

Comments

• Yeah I'm all over that and macrumors n shit.

Media mac mini with tivo-like capability would be super hot. That would make sense with Job's idea of making the macintosh a central home appliance. He'll always make the move in this direction & has no interest in the PDA market, which is kinda too bad, because iPods will never get beefed up too much.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I say nay to the plasma screen rumour, it's too competitive of a market to jump into. The ibook and mac mini seems quite legit though, thinksecret is generally the authority on accurate mac rumours. They've been dead on the past year or so....

Should be interesting to see how Rosetta performs in ze real world.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The only thing that will really matter is the Intel shit. Cause if that doesn't raise MAC's market share, I dunno what will.

Also... Look for Job's to annouce he's GOD and is searching for followers to go with him to the promise land.

If the Intels really kick ass, I might be tempted to cross over and buy one.

• I say nay to the plasma screens as well, unless they tie in with the digital video recording. Can you imagine if a mini could tie in with your home video system and take over the role of your cable box and DVD? You can already do this with a specially built PC. They could have a serious slam dunk.

Even if they do introduce plasma screens they will be next generation for the upcoming Intel desktops which will probably have yet another unique digital display connector. Apple caters to the high end design community but there's a limit... the 30" displays are NOT big sellers, and they seem to aim more and more for the home market.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    ive been hearing about the Tivo-esque mac mini, and if it gets released it will be the first mac i will ever own.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ive been hearing about the Tivo-esque mac mini, and if it gets released it will be the first mac i will ever own.
    for some reason, i thought that buttplug you used was an apple...?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

no its PC

no its PC

• my roommate works at apple and is always bitching about all the hype and speculation before they announce a new thang. even when they come out with something ill, people are disappointed that it isn't what they thought it was going to be. i'm sure mac will be in '06 though.

• So Macworld is tomorrow (Tuesday)... anybody got predictions?

Latest rumors: intel laptops,

this is not a rumor - they're moving the whole line over to intel chips, the primary reason being that they have not been able to deliver a G5 laptop in the timeframe that they said they would. They projected 1st quarter 2006 is when the new computers will be shipping.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fuck this my Mac crashed last night and I'm angry.

Mac got no love for the little man recording Herbie Hancock LP's to his computer for the world to share.

• edubedub 715 Posts

Media mac mini with tivo-like capability would be super hot. That would make sense with Job's idea of making the macintosh a central home appliance. He'll always make the move in this direction & has no interest in the PDA market, which is kinda too bad, because iPods will never get beefed up too much.

this would be the move.

As much as I would be first in line to buy on of these, I'm kinda thinking apple won't dive into the video recording market because it will limit their sales of the tv shows available on iTMS... they seem to be pushing ahead on this one. I've heard talk about offering tv shows for download several days ahead of when they will be aired on tv. If this is the future of tv: download what you want to watch, then there's no use for recording... this will be years ahead from now though, so who knows.

With "Front Row" introduced on the iMac, they're definitely moving ahead in the entertainment hub category... maybe the mac mini will have an ipod dock integrated?

• With "Front Row" introduced on the iMac, they're definitely moving ahead in the entertainment hub category... maybe the mac mini will have an ipod dock integrated?

something like that will definetly pop up next time. the ipod gods need fresh blood. get more ipod junkies, sell more ipods, sell more music, raise more money, buy adobe.

this is not a rumor - they're moving the whole line over to intel chips, the primary reason being that they have not been able to deliver a G5 laptop in the timeframe that they said they would. They projected 1st quarter 2006 is when the new computers will be shipping.

YUP, the migration is old news, but no official word on the new macs yet. Probably there will be something tomorrow, either new laptops or desktops. The word on the street is they'll debut 13.3" widescreen ibooks.

The latest iMac has a freakin remote!
    If they integrate TV capability into it they're going to get every college student on earth buying one.

• i dont think, they'll launch the first intels. its too early. but in the end, jobs always had some special timing for roll-outs.

i dont mind, just got one of these damn fast g5 things

• The word on the street is they'll debut 13.3" widescreen ibooks.

ummmm....they already have 12" & 14" ibooks

and the TV downloads on iTunes is the shizz - just downloaded the new episode of Battlestar Galactica ()
    the day after it aired. sweeeeeet.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    The word on the street is they'll debut 13.3" widescreen ibooks.

ummmm....they already have 12" & 14" ibooks

and the TV downloads on iTunes is the shizz - just downloaded the new episode of Battlestar Galactica ()
    the day after it aired. sweeeeeet.

it's all a matter of the diagonal length of the widescreen, compared to that of the regular 14", or 12"... a 13.3" widescreen is apparently the same width as a 14.1" XGA.

The rumour is that there will only be ONE size iBooks: 13.3" Widescreen

• edubedub 715 Posts
    BTW, anyone have a link for a live feed, video or audio, of tomorrow's MacWorld Keynote speech?

thanks!

• BTW, anyone have a link for a live feed, video or audio, of tomorrow's MacWorld Keynote speech?

thanks!

Officially they aren't streaming it, which kind of blows.

I would have thought they would need to update the OS before switching to Intel... but I'm not savvy with processor vs OS code so I could be entirely wrong. insight?

• edubedub 715 Posts
    BTW, anyone have a link for a live feed, video or audio, of tomorrow's MacWorld Keynote speech?

thanks!

Officially they aren't streaming it, which kind of blows.

so, unofficially, we're delegated to links like this?

I would have thought they would need to update the OS before switching to Intel... but I'm not savvy with processor vs OS code so I could be entirely wrong. insight?

They've been developing cross-platform for the last few years.
    A few people have even gotten OSX working on their PC clones!! Wild stuff. Not a good idea but pretty wild.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I need a mac, hopefully the intel boxes will be cheaper.

Not sure if its announced yet, but wi-fi ipods are the next move for certain.

So Macworld is tomorrow (Tuesday)... anybody got predictions?

They've been developing cross-platform for the last few years.
    A few people have even gotten OSX working on their PC clones!! Wild stuff. Not a good idea but pretty wild.

That's been happening for years... Lot of cats running VMware bundled with OSX lately, but there have been tons of cats since OSX first dropped that have been running OSX on clones. There was even a guy on eBay selling OSX bundled PC's until Jobs shut dude down.

• Here it comes!

• edubedub 715 Posts
    new imac

please update with a LOT of detail in this thread. I'm at work and I don't have access to streams.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    10:16 am 10.4.4 is entirely native on Intel processor. All the applications included are universal and native on Intel.
    10:16 am showing benchmarks. overall 2-3x faster.
    10:15 am Two cores. each one faster than the G5.
    10:14 am Intel Core Duo. an amazing chip.
    10:14 am Intel Processor. 2-3x faster than the iMac G5.
    10:14 am Same sizes. 17", 20". Same design. Same features (isight, front row, apple remote), Same price. What's different.
    10:13 am No other desktop PC can match it.
    10:12 am The iMac - built in isight camera. front row. incredible reception.
    10:12 am First Mac with Intel processor today.
    10:12 am Thrilled with new technology from Intel. Paul Otellini leaves.
    10:10 am Hard work, nights and weekends working... thanks Intel.
    10:10 am Paul Otellini appears. Intel is ready. Apple is ready too.
    10:09 am Intel Bunny suit guy walks out...
    10:09 am Really good year for the Mac. Had previously announced that by June of this year they would be shipping Macs with Intel. How are we doing?
    10:08 am Now... lets' talk about systems...
    10:08 am 30 day free trial of iWorks '06 with new Macs. (Keynote and Pages are the components of iWorks '06)
    10:08 am Some of the features in iWork '06. 3d charts, advanced image editing, image reflections, free form and masking, tables with calculations, new themes and templates. no demo, go check it out on the website. $79, also available today.
    10:07 am iLife and .Mac. One more product... iWork '06.
    10:06 am .Mac update. Now over 1 million subscribers.
    10:06 am iLife '06 will be bundleded free on new Macs.
    10:06 am Available today.
    10:05 am 6 iLife apps now. Same price $79.
    10:04 am iWeb demo over.
    10:04 am Still demoing how to use iWeb, publishing his previous podcast.
    10:02 am Click on button, publish to .Mac. upload it. easy.
    10:00 am Drag and drop zones, alignment guides, integrated with your music library.
    9:58 am Slideshow viewer uses AJAX technology
    9:57 am iWeb demo now.
    9:56 am Any browser can view it.
    9:56 am Themes. create in seconds. update whenever you like. RSS subscriptions. 1 click publish.
    9:55 am Easy and beautiful. Apple templates. iLife media browser with access to your content. online photo albums. one click publishing to .Mac.
    9:54 am New App to share photos, movies, music, blogs, content... iWeb
    9:53 am Great 5 apps in iLife... but something new...
    9:53 am New Jampack, world music.
    9:52 am Final Podcast played. rumor of "8 pound iPod with 10" screen"
    9:51 am Dragging artwork, demoing making a podcast. Demo over.
    9:49 am he's got "Pretty good sources in Apple"
    9:49 am Recording - "Hi, I'm Steve, welcome to my podcast of Super Secret Apple Rumors"
    9:48 am Steve demoing Garageband with Podcast studio now.
    9:47 am Garageband. New podcast studio. Podcast artwork track. over 200 free jingles and effects. speech enhanccer. use iChat for remote interviews.
    9:46 am 3rd party DVD burners supported.
    9:46 am Vastly improved slideshows.
    9:46 am Choose theme, drop movies in, drop in photos and click on button.
    9:46 am Magic iDVD, new
    9:45 am Next Up... iDVD. Widescreen menus.
    9:45 am iMovie Demo over.
    9:44 am Overall looks much improved. now demoing College Road trip video.
    9:42 am Demoing iMovie now. Showing a movie with a Theme.
    9:42 am Can open more than one project at once, realtime effects in titles, export to iPod and create Video Podcasts.
    9:41 am Animated themes for movies, real time effects, new audio tools. Moving to iMovie demo.
    9:40 am Now onto iMovie... HD last year.
    9:39 am When you receive the email, you click on the RSS link and it launches iPhoto and receives the photo. But apparently, you don't need iPhoto to receive the photos... it's just an RSS feed.
    9:38 am Demoing Photocasting. picking pictures, click on Publish to upload to .Mac. Choose to Announce, and brings up mail to email to people.
    9:37 am Now on to Photocasting...
    9:37 am Deming making a calendar, click on an album, can have it more than 12 months. show special holidays. special u.s. events. Can drop a picture on a special date (birthday for example)
    9:35 am Showing how to make a birthday card.
    9:35 am 1click effects, changing color, antigue, sepia, in a few clicks. Showing cards, calendars.
    9:34 am When you scroll through photos, a gray box of the month # floats in the middle as you pass months by. Demoing editing photo.
    9:33 am Must be a .Mac member to publish and you use RSS to subscribe to receive the photos. Demoing iPhoto now.
    9:31 am Pick an album ,push a button, photos uploaded to .Mac. Password protected. Other people can subscribe to them.
    9:30 am Can also make cards, post cards, birthday cards. New today - Photocasting. Podcasting for photos. share photos over the internet.
    9:29 am One click effects. sepia, black and white, all new cards, calendards and books to make and purchase. hard and softcover books quality is better. Now calendaars can be made with photos.
    9:28 am Music, Movies, Photos, Blogs. Giant released. New iPhoto Update with better speed. 25k photos up to 250k in library, scrolls smoothly, full screen editing,
    9:26 am Now talking about iLife. Picture of box with roll of film on it.
    9:26 am New widgets today. Mac OS 10.4.4 today. google widget, address book, espn, calendar
    9:25 am New widgets today. Mac OS X 10.4.4 today. google widget, new address book, espn ,calendar.
    9:24 am There are over 1500 Widgets.
    9:24 am Now talking about Widgets.
    9:23 am More video testaments, football, wedding photos. talking about working with RAW video. Video ends.
    9:21 am Video: discussing experience with Aperture and demoing product.
    9:20 am Demo video for Aperture.
    9:20 am Reviewing/recapping Aperture. Aperture is to the camera as Final Cut Pro is to Video.
    9:19 am Now to the Mac, which is what the rest of the keynote is about... (applause)
    9:19 am New iPod Ad for. Sillohettes, jazz trumpet.
    9:18 am Discussing Dodge Jeep iPod integration.
    9:17 am Works with current models. New radio screen on the iPod to tune radio through the iPod screen. $49
    9:16 am Announcing a new accessory for the iPod. a remote control with FM Tuner.
    9:16 am Demo of SNL content. blues brothers, coneheads etc...
    9:15 am New Saturday Night Live content going up today.
    9:14 am showing Bowl Games demo
    9:13 am Television show sales doing well. 8 million sold since Oct 12th. Added bowl games.
    9:12 am 850 million songs sold. 3 million songs a day are being sold. Over 1 billion songs per year rate. 83% market share.
    9:12 am Now on to iTunes...
    9:12 am 42 total million iPods sold since the it was first released. 32 million in 2005.
    9:11 am Over 100 sold every minute through the quarter.
    9:11 am 4.5 milliion sold during holiday 2004, for 2005 holiday sold 14 million
    9:10 am "best music players in the world"
    9:10 am Total revenues 5.7 billion total. Now let's talk about the iPod
    9:09 am Retail stores had their first $1 billion quarter this past quarter
    9:08 am 135 Shops around the world. 26 million visitors during holiday quarter.
    9:08 am Retail Update.
    9:07 am Steve Jobs on stage now
    9:07 am Audience clapping, lights dimming
    9:05 am "Program about to begin"
    9:01 am Please turn off your cell phones...
    8:55 am People are taking their seats....