Haul and Mason want to be my friend

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    they've released some real impressive 12" pieces called "Afroheat Samplers Vol 1-3" and they also go by the name "Afrodesiac Sound System". talented DJ's too.

they released a mix through scion, so there might be some hattin on them because of that, But that's all I know about that.

That real Scion hip-hop!

hatting initiated

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    they've released some real impressive 12" pieces called "Afroheat Samplers Vol 1-3" and they also go by the name "Afrodesiac Sound System". talented DJ's too.

double

• I actually really like their mix for the scion promo.

Don't know anything else about them at all though. Got the promo with a TTLab purchase I believe...

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Four turntable beatdown was dope but im not sure if id let them be my friend.

• Get off the fence you pansies.

The Scion mix CD was dope. Who gives a shit if it was for a car company. Has fuck all to do with their music choices & abilities. It wouldn't be there fault if they became the next media darlings. Maybe if they played Lady Sovereign they'd get in the cool mags.

Also check that crazy Dakah Orchestra shit they do. Insane stuff.

Do it Day, do it. You don't need approval from the "cool kids" club.

That recent Afrodisiac SS with Raashan (Crown CIty Rockers) was 12" was mighty tough.

Oh & here's an icon...

• they've released some real impressive 12" pieces called "Afroheat Samplers Vol 1-3" and they also go by the name "Afrodesiac Sound System". talented DJ's too.

double

actually, those afroheat rekkids are pretty decent. Afrobeat 'mashups' of sorts, but they're better then what you think--its NOT singing over some Fela beat. More like the vocals of CK Mann's 'Funky Highlife' over the intro conga loop from rapper's delight, with some dubby sound efx here and there. They're quite effective party rekkids, I've killed many a floor with them and put a track from one on a mix I did last year. When Afroheat #1 first came out it sold out immediately, took me a minute to get (waiting for them to repress while all your people have it...what fun). #2 and #3 are also good but #1 is prob the best overall. I think on #3 they put some african vocal over the 'coolie dance' riddim, not the most original idea in the werld but it werks. Buy the Rub boot and you can run the riddim into their mashup of 'oh sheila'. Fuck Nina Sky, drop Vegas 'Pull Up'. But I digress.

Anyways H & M (good look whoever posted the clothing store, hilarious) are nice guys and have skillz. The 2x4 decks thing can get a bit mash-uppy but it also has moments, more of a thing in LA (anybody do this in NY?). And yes, I cosign--J-Rocc/junkies would destroy them. But after all J-Rocc IS one of the baddest muthafuckers out there. Doubles of Vitamin C, shit is no joke.

I've been to their party in LA once. Supposedly they get a commercial crowd, but the time I was there both Z-Trip and Jazzy Jay were guests as part of the scratch tour. Shit was retarded. Barry White has just died and Z-Trip represented with the Cookie Monster Barry White shit, both the mofos killed it, and H&M represented. I've also caught them in Miami and NY.

The Scion thing is a whole other debate, and I go back and forth with these mofos for sure. Cos we don't have a government that gives a shit about the arts, much less music, we have to rely on corporations to step up. And most don't fuck underground soundz so I give props to Scion for that. But in the end they're trying to brand themselves, a car company, with some super legitimate music culture. The logo is omnipresent. We're cool...so buy our matchbox lookin' car.

But on the other end, some people who probably deserve some dough get paid in the process, Biz Marke, Grandmaster Flash, Maseo, and labels like Stones Throw, Quannum, Ninja Tune, Fat Beats, Sound in Color, etc, etc...and we get to enjoy the parties. The shit they did for Winter Music Conference and CMJ was cake, no cover, free BBQ and open bar the entire time, and some stellar lineups. In South Beach where everything is mad $$$ that shit was my wake up lunch n' buzz, with Primo DJing and dropping Group Home. 'No lie but before I say bye /
    You can't take money with cha when you die'.

So I can't completely hate. Its complicated. Their magazine is a lil tho.

$??

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I can't hate on I went to some of their free shows which featured Jazzy Jeff, DJ P, Revolution and Primo. So if they keep doing stuff like that I've got nothing but love for them. I even started to think about their cars... Damn, they got me.

• the haul and mason mix on scion is not bad, but the real burner was vol.8 done by melo-d, incredible smooth

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Does anybody know if any of this 'branding' has resulted in actual cars sold??

I have a feeling that this box isn't ever going to move in the quantity they want it to and the whole Scion Culture will dissappear at some point...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Who the hell are Haul and Mason?

The white Cosmo(s), apparently...

Does anybody know if any of this 'branding' has resulted in actual cars sold??

I have a feeling that this box isn't ever going to move in the quantity they want it to and the whole Scion Culture will dissappear at some point...

The fact that it's cheap probably has a lot more to do with whatever cars they have managed to sell than all of the efforts at branding. I don't think much of anybody wants a Scion, but some people can't afford much else in terms of new cars. Now why somebody would buy a new Scion when they can buy something nice used, I can't imagine.

• Because a Scion trunk was specifically designed to hold 2 crates of records . duh??!

• I drive around a lot, every day. I put thousands of miles on the odometer in a month. I see A LOT of scions. Most of the drivers are not folks that couldn't care less, but young supposedly hip or wannabe hip or whatever folks. The kind of people you would picture in a scion ad on the pages of URB

I think the branding is very effective. Just judging by what I see on the road...

I drive around a lot, every day. I put thousands of miles on the odometer in a month. I see A LOT of scions. Most of the drivers are not folks that couldn't care less, but young supposedly hip or wannabe hip or whatever folks. The kind of people you would picture in a scion ad on the pages of URB [who also happen to be broke].

I think the branding is very effective. Just judging by what I see on the road the way my pulse increases everytime I spy that boxy silhouette...

I guess I will defer to an expert...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Co-sign: there are mad Scions in Nor Cal from what I've seen. I thought the car was suspect when the campaign first rolled out but at the L.A. car show a couple of years back, we were in the Toyota section so I took a peek...and...and...it's not a bad car, not by half. The styling is an acquired taste but once you peep the interior, then peep the price, you realize: this would totally appeal to 20 somethings trying to buy their first car (with or without parental funding).

I don't like their branding campaign but I'm not mad at the car line. Would I buy one? No but I'm not hatting on those who do.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Well, us country bumpkins don't get any of these fancy Scion-sponsored events, and...

I almost never see a Scion on the road

Maybe it IS working

I don't like their branding campaign but I'm not mad at the car line. Would I buy one? No but I'm not hatting on those who do.

That car is a terd.

Any dude that drives one deserves to be doomed to a life of celibacy.

• I don't like their branding campaign but I'm not mad at the car line. Would I buy one? No but I'm not hatting on those who do.

That car is a terd.

Young Regatta will now regale us with a description of what he pushes when on land.

That car is a terd.

Young Regatta will now regale us with a description of what he pushes when on land.

Straight Swedish luxury automobiles... all I've ever owned.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Saabadababa?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Thats giving them too much credit methinks.

Thats giving them too much credit methinks.

Yeah, it's a joke... referring to Cosmo's description of himself as "the Black Haul & Mason," which, in turn, harks back to some foll describing The Rub as "the East Coast Haul & Mason".

• I don't like their branding campaign but I'm not mad at the car line. Would I buy one? No but I'm not hatting on those who do.

That car is a terd.

The GL in 850 GL stands for Good Life.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Actually outside of the 20 somethings that buy it, I know a number of middle age to older people that have looked at buying and actually bought one because of the price point, the decent gas mileage, and the room you get for what you pay for. I mean the pricing on the box truck is comparable to most American built compacts, and on top of that its backed by Toyota? Its not such a bad move.

That said I don't think I would ever buy one, but the people I know that have em are pretty happy.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Scion mix CD was dope. Who gives a shit if it was for a car company. Has fuck all to do with their music choices & abilities.

Well, it's not entirely accurate to say Scion has "fuck-all" to do with the music that's on the Scion samplers. The company has to clear everything and also has rights of refusal, meaning they can take something off if they don't want it on there. By and large, DJs who do the Scion mixes are free to assemble their own track listing, but that's not the end of it, either.

• The Scion mix CD was dope. Who gives a shit if it was for a car company. Has fuck all to do with their music choices & abilities.

Well, it's not entirely accurate to say Scion has "fuck-all" to do with the music that's on the Scion samplers. The company has to clear everything and also has rights of refusal, meaning they can take something off if they don't want it on there. By and large, DJs who do the Scion mixes are free to assemble their own track listing, but that's not the end of it, either.

No Enki, I meant, why diss a mix-cd or Haul & Mason just because it was for a car company. When I listen to the mix it's not like I hear a car revving about in my speakers to remind me of it's automative connects. I'm sure Scion wouldn't want a track on their talking about 'fucking sluts up the arse', so it'd be only reasonable they approve of track selection. But legal mix-cds are always fraught with clearance availability. So nothing new there.

I do understand the whole other side. Of course it's mad corny. Most 'hipsters' would naturally just gravitate towards a 2nd hand car. They look a bit shiny & lack personality.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Scion mix CD was dope. Who gives a shit if it was for a car company. Has fuck all to do with their music choices & abilities.

No Enki, I meant, why diss a mix-cd or Haul & Mason just because it was for a car company. When I listen to the mix it's not like I hear a car revving about in my speakers to remind me of it's automative connects. I'm sure Scion wouldn't want a track on their talking about 'fucking sluts up the arse', so it'd be only reasonable they approve of track selection. But legal mix-cds are always fraught with clearance availability. So nothing new there.

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood what you were getting at.

No Enki, I meant, why diss a mix-cd or Haul & Mason just because it was for a car company. When I listen to the mix it's not like I hear a car revving about in my speakers to remind me of it's automative connects.

What about the drops extolling the Scion lifestyle?

• Well, us country bumpkins don't get any of these fancy Scion-sponsored events

you're in raleigh, right?... there's one every month @ club oxygen on davie street... premier, pete rock, klever, 9th wonder have all been there, and this month is evil dee... they aren't bad... it's free to get in, you just have to rsvp with your e-mail address... i thought that they were going to start bombarding me with e-mails, but the only ones i have gotten have been the link to rsvp for the next party... none of the dudes (except klever, he killed it) that i mentioned were any good at djing, but they played good records, and where else are you going to hear that real schitt in a club in raleigh?