›

STUDIO Speaker suggestion// Alesis // M-Audio

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Are Alesis (Passive) and M-Audio (Passive) line of speakers capable of turning up loud for listening pleaure/party or they strickly for the studio at minimal levels?Testimonials welcome.Lookin' for a set of new speaks for under 300.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No matter how powerful and durable they are, I wouldn't use monitors as like "party" speakers.

"BOO-URNS."

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    basically trying to find if they can be turned up loud, my little mini studio is in the basement by the pooltable.

I've listend to other monitor speakers that can be cranked' and still do the job.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't see why not. I have a pair of KRK KROK jawns and they bump loud as shit at my crib.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    ... new speaks for under 300.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    BOO-URNS

• No matter how powerful and durable they are, I wouldn't use monitors as like "party" speakers.

"BOO-URNS."

Yeah, definitely

However, I've had some personal experience with M-Audio monitors (powered not passive) and you'd be surprised how loud those little guys can go without distortion. But yo, if your budget is $300 and you want a pair of good passive speakers, I'd go for Event 20/20s or something. Doesn't get much better than those in that price range.

I used powered Events and I think their great. I use them for production and also for (moderate level) listening. But every now and then I'll crank it when working on music to check the low-end and yeah, they definitely can be bumped.

Some some food for though though.

• I have the Alesis Monitor 2's. With a good amp they go LOUD. I wish I had gotten something smaller, actually. They sound best midway up, and that's too much volume for a bedroom-sized studio. Some friends of mine had a studio in a converted garage and they sounded good in there. Not the greatest-sounding speakers in the world, but usable.

This is that real schitt - as soon as the music came on I felt like my head was being expanded. Never heard anything like it.

http://www.rmcaudio.com/dynaudio/air_series/air6.htm

I can't even imagine how the big brother sounds:

http://www.rmcaudio.com/dynaudio/air_series/air25.htm

I might pick up a pair of Adams.

http://www.mercenary.com/ads2astudmon.html

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've heard Adams before, they sound very nice, and pricey

• What are you getting monitors for primarily?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    production and daily basement djing

• If you're doing any serious production with your monitors, don't get too caught up on buying what "sounds good." I like Events because they're not too flat or too colorful -- perfect for my set up which is production and listening -- just like what you'll be doing.

• I can only join the -team on this...

From my experience there are no dope monitors for under 400 per speaker.

People might want to argue with KRK Rokit series or Tannoy Reveal (im talking active... but imo most of these low budget monitors produce a strange (some how tinny ) sound since the chassis are normally pretty small and cant give the tweeter and woofer the "room" it needs.

So, to drop off my 2c, I can only suggest that you wait before joining the monitor world and save a little longer to afford Adam P11's or Dynaudio BM5A's. Now these are just the ones I would prefer.... when you get this far you should read some reviews on monitors and then go to the guitar center and listen to your top5 to make the decision.

To me a good pair of passive Hifis do the job perfectly aight & often better than some cheapo monitor. My Hifi's are pretty flat, so for monitoring they are almost perfect. Plus I've been working on these for so long that I can produce mixes that transfer to other systems... of course this comes after using a certain product for a while.

Perhaps you might want to check out some Hifis your fam got in the attic or something. When you come across some hifis check if you can find the frequency response diagram, If the line drawn on it shows freq. boosts the speaker will not be good for mixing since you will always hear a diguised sound.

EDIT: Note to self, read topic properly before posting...

Answer two : If you want PA cop them JBL EONS. they are monsters for home & PA. On the production side I can only suggest my favorites and the rest mentioned above..

peace

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    If your planning on doing any kind of mixing, speakers in that price range are going to pretty much all be pretty limited. Speakers that small cant move the air required to produce low frew, typically anything below 55 hz. You can get used to mixing on these, I used M-audio bx5's for a while, but i found it was nearly impossible to tell what was happening in the low end of my beats. One of them also blew while I was playing beats for someone extra loud one night kinda drunk, it still works, but prolonged high levels will temporarily deform the inside of these kinds of speakers. This is still a recurring problem, even though I now mix on mackie hr824s.

Also, though this is second hand, I heard really good things about the Behringer Truth monitors. I'm sure lots of people here hate on Behringer, and while I agree the company rips off other peoples designs, they do a (halfway) decent job of mimicking the og product for half the price. The truth monitors are a rip off of high end genelecs, but again the positive review I heard was second hand. I also might check the smaller mackies, 624s i think, just a little out your price range...

• Dynaudio BM5A's.

Are those the ones with the 6" woofer? I think those go for, what, a cool $1500 for the pair? I would say it depends on how serious Burns plans on taking his production and/or gear. For example, if you're just making beats and not doing any in-depth (parametric) EQing, investing $1500 on a pair of monitors may not be the best way to spend your money.

In the world of monitors, there's always a better speaker for more money, and if a Guitar Center salesman had it his way, he'd sell you the Dynaudios in a heart beat. They ARE great speakers but my advice to you would be to stay within your limits and be conservative. You can always upgrade to better monitors when the time comes.

Just a thought.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    as in everything in your hobbies/passion, money is the restriction here.

seperating into just a passion from a hobby into a business is something way in the future that I can't tell.

thanks for the advice/suggestions.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

FOSTEX PM-2

• Are Alesis (Passive) and M-Audio (Passive) line of speakers capable of turning up loud for listening pleaure/party or they strickly for the studio at minimal levels?

Testimonials welcome.

Lookin' for a set of new speaks for under 300.

I use the bx-5's and have been very pleased with them. one of the speakers became defective after a month and it was easily exchanged. to answer your question, yes, they are loud enough for a large size room. i have played parties with them (not the best idea) and they were good enough. definitely not something you want to use as PA equipment regularly but i blast these daily and have never had an issue.

you do get what you pay for though, and these are budget studio monitors. without m-audio, studio gear would remain expensive and sometimes out of reach, but you always have room to upgrade to something else. i've heard good things about the mackie 824's. have i heard them myself? no. in any case, listen to what's out there and what you like and decide what you're willing to spend.

my studio theory is either go big or go small. if you're going to buy gear, don't ever buy something midrange. the value will erode as quickly as budget gear, and the quality will never be as good as high end gear. same with any music equipment, there are always deals and used gear will save you hundreds - just keep looking and be patient.

• I got the Dynaudio 6As. Love them to death. You can work on them for hours on hours and they don't tire your ears (my god, ever tried to do a session for more than a few hours on Geneleks? fuck that!). The 6As are way out of that price range, but if I only had about 300, KRKs would get my vote. I know a few people using them and getting decent mixes in small rooms, while having enough power to bump up when you need them.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    production and daily basement djing
    I got a pair of Event TR6's for daily dj'ing, recording, and listening. I like them a lot and for my room size they are loud enough. On the cheap end as well. And if you want better sound, upgrade to the 20/20's. My friend had a pair and they were great.

It really depends on how seiroz you want to get.

I don't like the idea of rocking a party with studio monitors. I fear someone spilling their drank on them.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I use the M-audio bx5's for all my mixing

i've had them for abotu 3 years.. got them right when they came out.. i've neve had them up past 5 ... they get LOUD!!!

i like em.. really can't say enough good things abotu these. Very accurate.. i find my mixes translate really really well to other systems.

i've a / b'd them with my buddies Dynaudio 6a's and frankly i like these better.. the dynaudios i find way too WOOFY .. very barky and bassy.. almost FARTY when you turn them up... im always stressing about the bass when im mixing there as there's so much distortion coming through.. but then you listen to the mix on somethign else and its tight as hell.

personally i dont like to listen to my mixes that loud and i certainly dont want to here an exagerated bass response. the m-audios will definatly not pump out subs or anythign liek that but what you do get is very accurate.

i check the subs and any lo lo freqs with my headphones and then go back to the m-audios

• As far as actives, anybody have feelings on the ALESIS M1 Active Mk2 Bi-Amplified Reference Monitor? Opinions? Comparisons? Next step up? We're talking for production and mixing.