Rockers vs. Harder They Come

13»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I've never seen this! Putting it on the to-do list???

It's great - superb Aswad soundtrack (Brinsley Dan plays the lead role), some great performances and a really gritty late '70's feel to it. Only available on bootleg DVD or VHS as far as I know.

If you know where I can find this somewhere, please let me know. dvd preferred.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My buddy said he saw a movie that was called "dancehall queen" He said it was pretty good. Anyone else see it?

My buddy said he saw a movie that was called "dancehall queen" He said it was pretty good. Anyone else see it?

I can't tell soulstrut sarcasm anymore.

If this is sarcasm, then hahaha

If not, you can pass on that movie. I'm not sure why people regard it so highly.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

If not, you can pass on that movie. I'm not sure why people regard it so highly.

i don't regard it highly, but i don't think it should be dismissed either.

i like the story, that it has a decent female lead, doesn't take itself too seriously and is kinda raw like what it is depicting. it's no great feat, but i thought it was entertaining. would rather watch that than most of what is out there in theatres right now.

go get some mid 80's Oliver Samuels joints and just laugh your head off instead.

Anyone ever see the documentary on Mento and Pocomania called "Mento Yard"?

go get some mid 80's Oliver Samuels joints and just laugh your head off instead.

!! that made me laugh out loud!

I know some really nice West Indian ladies who would love to spend Sunday evening watching Samuels with a young man such as yourself. Can I give them your name?

Duppy in the House! Duppy in the House!

• All I know is that the two pistol action in THTC is serious. I just actually grabbed it up from Netflix recently and cherished it. But, yeah, ya can't fuck with Jacob Miller defending his food in Rockers.

Great thread!

whats joke to you is dead to me!
    me screw for that, rasta!!!

• go get some mid 80's Oliver Samuels joints and just laugh your head off instead.

I know some really nice West Indian ladies who would love to spend Sunday evening watching Samuels with a young man such as yourself. Can I give them your name?

Somebody call me?

Somebody call me?

LOL!!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The book that Michael Thelwell wrote based on Harder They Come is also quite good. I was very skeptical when it was first described to me, but it's not a straight novelization--the film is more of a departure point for Thelwell, a Jamaican ex-pat who had been a SNCC student organizer in the sixties and later founded and taught in the Af. Am. Studies program at U. Mass. Amherst.

It was out of print for a long time but now seems to be available again.

and studied with them dudes.

i don't regard it highly, but i don't think it should be dismissed either.

i like the story, that it has a decent female lead, doesn't take itself too seriously and is kinda raw like what it is depicting. it's no great feat, but i thought it was entertaining. would rather watch that than most of what is out there in theatres right now.

yea my buddy summed it up like you guys said. Thanks

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I finally got "Rockers" it's entertaining but nowhere as good as "Harder They Come"
    I see why most of you would like it though,it gives the impression that most of the ghetto population in Jamaica is Rasta,sorry to let you down "it's just a movie" dont believe everything you see.I also liked all the cameo's from the 70's reggae music scene and the dialog was very authentic patois for that time period.

"Yeah yuh nuh the I just tek een de flim,seen"

I finally got "Rockers" it's entertaining but nowhere as good as "Harder They Come"
    I see why most of you would like it though,it gives the impression that most of the ghetto population in Jamaica is Rasta,sorry to let you down "it's just a movie" dont believe everything you see.I also liked all the cameo's from the 70's reggae music scene and the dialog was very authentic patois for that time period.

"Yeah yuh nuh the I just tek een de flim,seen"

Was it better than cool runnings?

nah man nah man... Rockers > THTC
    I think we like Rockers better because it's a better movie.

And NO, we don't think that Jamaican ghettoes are all Rastafarians. Everytime I go to Jamaica, I stay in the ghetto (Waltham Park, Kingston).

Slightly better than Cool Runnings

mmm, slightly condescending.

can't say that film gave me the impression that the ghetto population in Jamaica is Rasta. it did not leave me with overwhelming impression of anything but one group of people's stories.

not sure about this reasoning...as in it gives some romantic and distorted idea of what? Jamaica? Rastas? the ghetto? poverty? all those things could be said about Harder They Come, too, no?

Better in what way? production value,acting,script etc,tell me where does it excel.

can't say that film gave me the impression that the ghetto population in Jamaica is Rasta. it did not leave me with overwhelming impression of anything but one group of people's stories.

not sure about this reasoning...as in it gives some romantic and distorted idea of what? Jamaica? Rastas? the ghetto? poverty? all those things could be said about Harder They Come, too, no?

The situations or how they were presented in "Rockers" were nonsensical ie. how he just strolls through the ghetto and borrows enough money to buy the bike right then and there.What was the purpose of his hustling? he never gave his wife/babys mother any money.The events thoughout were disjointed.

The situations or how they were presented in "Rockers" were nonsensical ie. how he just strolls through the ghetto and borrows enough money to buy the bike right then and there.What was the purpose of his hustling? he never gave his wife/babys mother any money.The events thoughout were disjointed.

i think folks know that all kinds of men slack on child-support, not just dreads. and if they watch Rockers and come away with that belief, then their problems started long before they saw that or any film.

dude is a hustler, fast-talker, charmer and salesman, that's how he got so many folks to lend him the cash and the purpose was so he could get the bike and distribute records and be around what he loved, music, and to make a living.

is it that hard to believe that kind of grassroots economy could take place? doesn't it happen there now and everyday?

i found the narrative in Harder They Come waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more disjointed.

i like both films a lot.

i think folks know that all kinds of men slack on child-support, not just dreads. and if they watch Rockers and come away with that belief, then their problems started long before they saw that or any film.

dude is a hustler, fast-talker, charmer and salesman, that's how he got so many folks to lend him the cash and the purpose was so he could get the bike and distribute records and be around what he loved, music, and to make a living.

is it that hard to believe that kind of grassroots economy could take place? doesn't it happen there now and everyday?

i found the narrative in Harder They Come waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more disjointed.

i like both films a lot.

Not in such a simple way as it's shown though,Ras's game was weak too,i think the dialogue let it down, it was over-dramatized to the point were it sounded stupid in parts.Another part about it that was unrealistic was how they portrayed the Police as
    lacking any authority,they wouldn't go into a dance just to arrest some random weed smokers,and they wouldn't leave the nightclub without dealing with the matter(dude would mos def get dragged out the dj booth).To many inconsistencies for me to see this movie as nothing more than a local comedy with decent production values.

Wanna hear something funny i bought this dvd from Joe Gibb's son's shop,he(Joe)was the person that gave horsemouth the 45's to sell in the film,and it's a bootleg(the playing side is blue underneath)
    Am i paranoid or is this how it's supposed to be? The print is blurry to.

Better in what way? production value,acting,script etc,tell me where does it excel.

production value rockers>THTC

acting rockers>THTC

script rockers=THTC

soundtrack rockersTHTC

(still don't know why you can get it if you really want appears twice on the album)

• Wanna hear something funny i bought this dvd from Joe Gibb's son's shop,he(Joe)was the person that gave horsemouth the 45's to sell in the film

"You want to sell my records?"