OLD BOY (MR)

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
So I watched that flick old boy last night. The octopus scene was Good movie.

Comments

• What about the Hammerfighting scene & the tongue final?

• i thought it was solid- nothing too crazy... but worth the time spent watching it..

• it was a great movie, i appreciated it more the second time around, best thing that came out on dvd this year

• how about Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance?

i have the dvd but haven't been able to watch it yet...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    how about Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance?

i have the dvd but haven't been able to watch it yet...

some ridiculously violent stuff in here. Its a very good movie, though the lead isnt as charasmatic as Oldboy's, and the cinematogrophy isnt as good either.

Oldboy is one of my favorites of this year, no doubt.

I watched BRANDED TO KILL the other night. Its amazing.

• it was a great movie, i appreciated it more the second time around, best thing that came out on dvd this year

Perhaps I need to watch it again. But I'm still not convinced that shock-for-arts-sake is art yet. The jury is still out...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

it was a great movie, i appreciated it more the second time around, best thing that came out on dvd this year

Perhaps I need to watch it again. But I'm still not convinced that shock-for-arts-sake is art yet. The jury is still out...

Even Zatoichi and Lonewolf and cub joints use shockign violence to help set the mood, IMO. Obviously nothign along the lines of cutting tongues out or slicing achilles tendons, but still. I think OLDBOY is a dope movie that may be slightly overated in the long run. It isnt some existential masterpeice or anythign, but its a amazingly "arty" for a popcorn movie.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    is how I felt after watching also... It was shot really well, but the story is just kinda of weak..

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    It was hyped up so much by the time I saw it, I was a little disappointed. I still liked the movie though.

• It was hyped up so much by the time I saw it, I was a little disappointed. I fall asleep

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It was hyped up so much by the time I saw it, I was a little disappointed. I still liked the movie though.

I felt the same way, especially with the "reveal" at the end. Maybe I'm just kind of jaded but all thigns considered, I was expecting something a bit more, I dunno, deep? The revenge plot made no fucking sense at all and maybe that was the point. That said, it's been amazing to see how far Korean cinema has come in the last 10 years.