Lesser known female mc’s

66666666 29 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
I need a little info of 90's hiphop particurlarly FEMALE RAPPERSnot the ones on major labels but the lesser known on independent labels. Name a couple of female mc's who released 12", LP's etc...Most importantly in the year of 1992 - 1996such as the Ghetto girlz-ain't takin no shit 1992 Album (was it CD only ? NO VINYL!!!)

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I need a little info of 90's hiphop particurlarly FEMALE RAPPERS

not the ones on major labels but the lesser known on independent labels.

Name a couple of female mc's who released 12", LP's etc...

Most importantly in the year of 1992 - 1996

such as the Ghetto girlz-ain't takin no shit 1992 Album (was it CD only ? NO VINYL!!!)

There's my #1 fan: Jean Grae aka What What from Natural Resources.

Whashername from UTD...Cess I think?

Apani B Fly Emcee

Mother Superia (she did a few joints with Curt Kazal I think)

T-Love

By the way, who are you and what is this for?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Nonchalant

Bahamadia

Heather B

Marquee (DITC)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    nobody around here mentioned t-love's album when it came out, which I found quite enjoyable. This coming from a non jaydee fan......

or is it too nag champaish

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Medusa

• i guess Yoyo kind of big, but she was mad under-rated, and her solo debut was ILL!

• 66666666 29 Posts

By the way, who are you and what is this for?

You can call me D. short for D'amazin. And O-dub what's up with the Deep covers
    CD ? Man, i can hook up with some dope covers.

Anyway this is for a mixtape i'm working on because i feel that female rappers
    almost or never credited for their work and dope lyrics in this world of HipHop
    If you look at some of the mixcd's with tracks. it's never ever
    an dope obscure Queen Latifah 12" just to give an example.

Besides i'm just too tired listening to some of these so called MC's (Eminem)

• The Bombshell - outta detroit on a small indie... dope beat and her flow was nice as well.

MC Trouble - one single on Motown that I know of

• 66666666 29 Posts
    The Bombshell - outta detroit on a small indie... dope beat and her flow was nice as well.

MC Trouble - one single on Motown that I know of

The Bombshell ? On wich label is she on and is it easy to find ?

• I mean if you're looking for dope female MCs, non-Eve ... MC Lyte !! not only one of the best female MCs, but one of the few legendary, classic rappers that are female.

also I heard this chick Bless Roxwell is kina nice too

• Don't forget Shorty No Mas.

I seem to recall Flo Brown being alright.

I second Jean Grae of old (Negro League Baseball), Apani B Fly MC, and Bahamadia.

Can't leave out Salt & Pepper, but forget Spindarella.

• i guess Yoyo kind of big, but she was mad under-rated, and her solo debut was ILL!

Mainly because she was basically a mouthpiece for Ice Cube.

• Madame Star - god bless the girl / baby's father on Cold Chillin' 1994 is dope. I dont know if she did other stuff though....

Dress

• JpegJpeg 20 Posts
    Jane Doe was hard

• the chick that rhymed on Xzibit's first album was grimey as fuck, can't remember her name... but her voice was so ill, never heard anything else from her though...

• the chick that rhymed on Xzibit's first album was grimey as fuck, can't remember her name... but her voice was so ill, never heard anything else from her though...

maybe you mean hurricane g, yep her features were nice, but her solo lp, is real trash IMO

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Hurricane G is god awful on those Xzibit cuts.

Somebody mentioned her, but pick up Medusa's 12" on Good Vibe from what '96? '97? I dunno. She's great.

-e

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Queen mother rage

isis

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Hurricane G is god awful

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Conscious Daughters-Roll Deep

• Hurricane G is god awful

yeah she sucks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Suga T

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    paula perry was OK on the masta ase stuff, don't know if she ever did solo records though, and suspect they might not have been good if she did...

she did, produced by premier, i can't remember the name of it but it was really good.

Georgia Girls is good - a posse cut with the chicks from Crime Mob and a bunch of other female MCs from Atlanta

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I'm working on an all female MC mixtape too...it's gonna be a double cd one pre-90's one post-90's.

check for other girls like

Sweet Tee
    Pebbley Poo
    both the Roxannes
    Sparky Dee
    Shorty No Mas

there's tons

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Mystic
    had some joints on her LP - "Cuts for Luck and Scars for Freedom"

MC Trouble - Big Ol' Jazz
    ...I need.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Don't know if the years would be applicable but there were the 5 Footers. Didn't Warren G put them out? I know they had a single (at least) don't recal an LP.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    from Chicago

Ang 13
    Pure and Natural
    Infamous Syndicate
    Newsense
    Screamin Rachel

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Don't know if the years would be applicable but there were the 5 Footers. Didn't Warren G put them out? I know they had a single (at least) don't recal an LP.

Yes they had a couple of singles out on def jam all of which (i think 2) sucked. THe infamous Archaic dis track is recorded over one of the instrumentals.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what was the personnel on that all female posse cut Big Cap cut on Tommoy boy from about 1996? I remember it had Lauryn Hill and Bahamadia, but that's all I can remember.

There was another called "estrogen" with Apani B Fly, What what (Jean Grae) and some others that I can't remember right now.

Also:
    Champ MC
    Mother Superior had a jam back in like 1998 with Styles I murder
    N-tyce on Wild Pitch "keep it on the hush hush" or hush hush tip I think was the name. Damn I'm getting old
    Lin-que aka Isis "let it fall"
    Ghetto Twinz (maybe debuted in 97?)

From here (Houston):
    "the female too short" Choice (Rap-a-lot)
    Lez-Monie

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

There was another called "estrogen" with Apani B Fly, What what (Jean Grae) and some others that I can't remember right now.

Lyric was on that too

• Hurricane G is god awful on those Xzibit cuts.

i'm not a big fan of her work on redman's shit either. she has a pretty annoying voice/accent.

to add to the list, there's the Anomolies crew which was like 22 females deep or something, but the only 12 inch I ever saw was a split with the arsonists in 97 or so. and the Five Footaz was another female group.