Lesser known female mc’s

Comments

• Lin-que aka Isis "let it fall"

I had that single almost 10 years ago...wasn't there some sort of Queen Latifah involvement or am I thinking of something else?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Lin-que aka Isis "let it fall"

I had that single almost 10 years ago...wasn't there some sort of Queen Latifah involvement or am I thinking of something else?

I don't think so... I think you might be loosely associating two women of ambiguous sexuality, simply for that fact.

• Lin-que aka Isis "let it fall"

I don't think so... I think you might be loosely associating two women of ambiguous sexuality, simply for that fact.

so in conclusion: no, but she should have. Thanks

• Mystic
    had some joints on her LP - "Cuts for Luck and Scars for Freedom"

"ok,...alright" was a solid track,
    good to read that she made an album, somehow i slept on it.

but "ces", is with both versions of "manifest destiny" the winner IMO

• MC Malika Love

• MC Peaches "Treat Her Like a Lady" / "Comin' Straight Rollin' Hard" 12" on Bumrush, 1988. Bumrush is this obscure brooklyn hip-hop label that i have two different 12"s on...mc peaches is dope! it's produced by King of Chill and Nat Robinson and El Bravador for Top Billin Music. know this?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    i guess Yoyo kind of big, but she was mad under-rated, and her solo debut was ILL!

To each his own, I guess...

• paula perry was OK on the masta ase stuff, don't know if she ever did solo records though, and suspect they might not have been good if she did...

she did, produced by premier, i can't remember the name of it but it was really good.

ah yes.. 'extra extra', when was that then? I'm guessing it was 96-ish, B-side type time? that one must have slipped under the radar. another one to add to the list of things to keep an eye and ear open for...

used to bump that quite a bit when it came out. Bahamadia's 1st LP also has some beautiful primo moments, 'Word Play' is some funky dubbed out shit.

Also Boss...'deeper' is a jam. Didn't she get shit for coming off like a gangsta, and then found out to be a college student from the burbs? Or something.

Anyone mention 'Afro Puffs'?

$??

Also Boss...'deeper' is a jam. Didn't she get shit for coming off like a gangsta, and then found out to be a college student from the burbs? Or something.

Forgot all about Boss...

deeper

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    N-tyce on Wild Pitch "keep it on the hush hush" or hush hush tip I think was the name. Damn I'm getting old

LOL I think someone said she's from NC??

There's old bass joints with female MCs but I'm spacing on names right now... Anquette is one I think...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    N-tyce on Wild Pitch "keep it on the hush hush" or hush hush tip I think was the name. Damn I'm getting old

There's old bass joints with female MCs but I'm spacing on names right now... Anquette is one I think...

Yeahm, Anquette on Luke Skyywalker, but they're a group I think.

Antoinette is dope.

• 66666666 29 Posts
    MC Peaches "Treat Her Like a Lady" / "Comin' Straight Rollin' Hard" 12" on Bumrush, 1988. Bumrush is this obscure brooklyn hip-hop label that i have two different 12"s on...mc peaches is dope! it's produced by King of Chill and Nat Robinson and El Bravador for Top Billin Music. know this?

I've seen it on e-bay but don't have it.

Anybody got a soundclip of this?

• 66666666 29 Posts

I've should mention this earlier but trades are welcome!!

I'm curious about that 5 footaz diss. is it on vinyl?

ANYBODY GOT THESE?? Medusa,Lin Que-Let it rip 12"(the one with the BEATNUTS REMIX)
    Shazzy-Giggahoe 12"(SD50 REMIX)

• Check for...

Bahamadia : Total Wreck(remix) 12"

Paula Perry : Reasons 12"

Paula Perry : Paula's Jam 12"

all nice mid 90s tracks.
    Also co-sign on the Bumrush label, Lazy laz, Barsha, Kings of Swing and Positive K all dropped good 12"s on this label. Does anyone have a complete discography for it?

• paula perry was OK on the masta ase stuff, don't know if she ever did solo records though, and suspect they might not have been good if she did... Shorty no mas definitely, I was listening to buhloone mind state yesterday, her verses are really good. I second what what/jean grae and T-Love, that first EP has some good moments.
    Paula Perry had one single on Motown(?) called Extra Extra produced by Premier, which was dope. Can't forget Unique who was down with Doo Wop and released 1 single on Tape Kingz.

• If you're looking for one song from Bahamadia, definitely go for "3 Tha Hardway". Sick Primo beat, 2 females on the track, shout out to Central, etc...

And Mystic is straight garbage.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Linque/Beatnuts joint is cool; not face-melty but decent.

Shazzy's "Gigahoe" is an example of good beats paired with a mediocore MC. That said, one could make the same claim of Stezo and that never stopped me from liking his stuff.

If you want the really dope ass bahamadia jawn, you need to roll with "Funky Vibe."

This is a cool idea for a mix-CD; so good I wish I had thought of it.

In terms of '90s stuff, I'd absolutely, positively recommend the song "New + Improved" by the Herbaliser feat. What What. It's a little hard to come by since it's a 12" only song (not on the Herbaliser LP) but it's one of my favorite joints of that era.

And I'm sure someone's already mentioned this but if you're including '80s stuff, Sweet Tee had some dope ass Hurby Luv Bug beats on her singles and albums.

• N-tyce on Wild Pitch "keep it on the hush hush" or hush hush tip I think was the name. Damn I'm getting old

She also had a Wild Pitch 12" prior to this one Black To The Point/Chinese Eyes (WP 1021, for those that care). Freddy Fresh didn't list this one in his book.

I really liked Shazzy. I know her rapping skills weren't the best ever but the production was great.

Hi, I'm new by the way (although I briefly posted a few years back).

Greetings to you all.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Georgia Girls is good - a posse cut with the chicks from Crime Mob and a bunch of other female MCs from Atlanta

You wouldn't have an MP3 of that you could post up do ya?

When did this come out? I love those chicks from Crime Mob.

• The Linque/Beatnuts joint is cool; not face-melty but decent.

Shazzy's "Gigahoe" is an example of good beats paired with a mediocore MC. That said, one could make the same claim of Stezo and that never stopped me from liking his stuff.

If you want the really dope ass bahamadia jawn, you need to roll with "Funky Vibe."

O, its "funk vibe" off the funky vibes EP.
    also sugar n spice, on the QTPie label from philly

didnt Big Lady K have a good single

klassy kat is a raer philly joint

dont forget presweet.

cosign mclyte
    and shorty was on some small label philly 12s before showing up on buhloon mindstate

• didnt Big Lady K have a good single

"Don't Get Me Started"? That's a great tune.

• sconesscones 434 Posts

hush hush tip is a wicked track,

• didnt Big Lady K have a good single

I like "Don't Get Me Started" with the bold soul sister loop (THANGS and STUFF). Priority label, right? did she have other decent singles?

MC Lyte Eyes On This is one of my favorite front-to-back records (yes, even the k-rock dj cut)

who was the female MC off the No I.D. solo record who had like an 8-bar verse on "gem?" that beat was 45 seconds of fire.

• Actually I think it was Mama Mystique who was produced by Curt Cazal and had a few mid 90s bangers with "Styles I murder" and "Tremendous" (I think that's what the track was called). Both those tracks are sick and I'm gonna have to go through my boxes here in a second to find em. Can't remember if they were on the same 12".

Mother Superia was the one who had a bomb Redman produced track called "Most Of All" which got a little burn here in back in 95/96. I really like that track. It's the "Most of all, I like to pack my pi-ipe" chorus.

Paula Perry "Extra Extra was promo only on Madsounds/Polygram and I think I have an extra copy if anybody wants it. I'll have to check.

Wasn't there some ill chick in Natural Elements?

G-Simone had a nice under the radar 12", "Music for the 90s" on Front Page and produced by KRS. Check for that one.

Peace,
    APortico

• A lot of the females that have been named haven't really been all that "lesser known" so I hope you don't mind me adding one more to that list:

Laddybug

I think she's one of the illest female MCs because she always just came across as an MC. I never really dug most female MCs because they normally tried so hard to come off EXTRA hard -- no doubt due to being a female in such a male-dominated arena which is understandable -- but not always enjoyable to listen to. Just my two cents...

Andy,

Yes - I meant Mama Mystique, not Superia. "Most of All" was a cool joint though and I liked "Tremendous."

There was also a female MC in that group "Dark Skinned Assassins" who had a decent verse on that song..."Uncontrollable?" It was the one that used "Big Beat;" I'm not at home to look it up.

I don't think Natural E had a woman in it.

Actually I think it was Mama Mystique who was produced by Curt Cazal and had a few mid 90s bangers with "Styles I murder" and "Tremendous" (I think that's what the track was called). Both those tracks are sick and I'm gonna have to go through my boxes here in a second to find em. Can't remember if they were on the same 12".

Mother Superia was the one who had a bomb Redman produced track called "Most Of All" which got a little burn here in back in 95/96. I really like that track. It's the "Most of all, I like to pack my pi-ipe" chorus.

Paula Perry "Extra Extra was promo only on Madsounds/Polygram and I think I have an extra copy if anybody wants it. I'll have to check.

Wasn't there some ill chick in Natural Elements?

G-Simone had a nice under the radar 12", "Music for the 90s" on Front Page and produced by KRS. Check for that one.

Peace,
    APortico

Actually I think it was Mama Mystique who was produced by Curt Cazal and had a few mid 90s bangers with "Styles I murder" and "Tremendous" (I think that's what the track was called). Both those tracks are sick and I'm gonna have to go through my boxes here in a second to find em. Can't remember if they were on the same 12".

Yeah, I mixed em up.

• 66666666 29 Posts

This is a cool idea for a mix-CD; so good I wish I had thought of it.

In terms of '90s stuff, I'd absolutely, positively recommend the song "New + Improved" by the Herbaliser feat. What What. It's a little hard to come by since it's a 12" only song (not on the Herbaliser LP) but it's one of my favorite joints of that era.

And I'm sure someone's already mentioned this but if you're including '80s stuff, Sweet Tee had some dope ass Hurby Luv Bug beats on her singles and albums.

I never heard of this before but it sounds great. And 12" only ?

I wish i knew this jam though i love WHAT WHAT AKA JEAN GRAE.

Thank you, Soulstrutters you've been a great help

When it's finished, i'll give y'll a taste of some female rapping (the CD)

• Figures of Speech did not release much but "Don't Get It Twisted" is tight.