My Sister Only Listens to John Mayer

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Seriously, ....like her whole cd and mp3 collection. I had no idea you could do this, but alot of it is like live bootlegs, b-sides, and side projects and shit. Its weird, like one of those kids that only listens to phish or dave matthews or something. Shes really smart, and she knows alot about classical music cause of my mom. But I want to get her some decent stuff for christmas that she also might enjoy. I know she likes that acoustic rock thing, and I am not getting her any of the jon mayer clone cds out there.I was thinking about some older stuff like nick drake or something. She said she also likes the garden state soundtrack? Please help me. Wait, isnt there some common song with this guy on it? Ill probably need that,

Comments

• how old is she?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    19. in her first year at stanford. why?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My mom likes Lenny Kravitz. The world's an imperfect place.

Seriously, though, I would hip her to some Nick Drake, maybe an older Neil Young record, something less rocking, more acoustic.

You really can't blame young girls. There are few women I know that don't swoon when they hear "Your Body is a Wonderland" -- whether they admit it or not. That song just hits 'em right where it needs to. I think Nick Drake captured that very same quality on almost all of his records.

• Nick Drake for sure. The best stuff on the Garden State soundtrack is by the Shins, very mellow.

Seriously, though, I would hip her to some Nick Drake, maybe an older Neil Young record, something less rocking, more acoustic.

You really can't blame young girls. There are few women I know that don't swoon when they hear "Your Body is a Wonderland" -- whether they admit it or not. That song just hits 'em right where it needs to. I think Nick Drake captured that very same quality on almost all of his records.

I dont really look down on her for it, i just was trying to think of stuff that might expand her perspective a bit without totally alienating her tastes.

could be worse.
    what does she think of joe though?

who? joe mayer? no idea. MORE SUGGESTIONS.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    There are few women I know that don't swoon when they hear "Your Body is a Wonderland"

that is one of the yuckiest songs ever - really stomach-turning stuff.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Try the Shins or maybe Modest Mouse-"the Moon and Antarctica"

okay, is this more stuff like jon mayer? Anything mabye out of the emo aucoustic genre you could reccomend? Modest mouse is probably a good suggestion.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    what's up with that mayer dude? hasnt he gone all blues power trio now or somthing??

if she likes mayer she'll cream for that jack johnson fool

• I would also go for Nick Drake..

Also:

a girl called eddie s/t
    Tim Hardin (like a best of maybe..)
    Kenny Rankin "the seed" (current favourite)
    Josh Rouse "1972"

/Leo

okay, is this more stuff like jon mayer? Anything mabye out of the emo aucoustic genre you could reccomend? Modest mouse is probably a good suggestion.

yes Modest mouse would be good... BUT START WITH "THE MOON AND ANTARCTICA" VERY IMPORTANT!

if she likes mayer she'll cream for that jack johnson fool

yeah, i think she might be up on that. good call though.

what's up with that mayall dude? hasnt he gone all blues power trio now or somthing??

I avoid his music like the plague - I did hear him say that his biggest influence is stevie ray vaughn though

I dont really look down on her for it, i just was trying to think of stuff that might expand her perspective a bit without totally alienating her tastes.

I wasn't trying to say that. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed about, especially for a 19-year-old girl. I am going to stretch here and say that, while I don't particularly like John Mayer's music, I could see the dude MAYBE making something decent in the next 10 years or so. He seems to make some pretty good moves, hanging out with B.B. King and writing a column for Esquire magazine.

Another group that she might like if she likes the Shins is Tindersticks. They are a shade depressing at times but have some earthy, low-key rock that always has gotten a good reaction from ladies I've played it for.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Also, let's forget your sister for a minute, this record has always worked well as a gift to females. It's in my Top Ten of "Records that get you laid".

yes Modest mouse would be good... BUT START WITH "THE MOON AND ANTARCTICA" VERY IMPORTANT!

got it, thanks for clarifying.

cat stevens?

sure. that one is more acoustic and more accessible for most people.

Josh Rouse "1972"

There are a couple of really good songs on that record. I'll have to look into some of the others you mentioned.

I wasn't trying to say that. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed about, especially for a 19-year-old girl. I am going to stretch here and say that, while I don't particularly like John Mayer's music, I could see the dude MAYBE making something decent in the next 10 years or so. He seems to make some pretty good moves, hanging out with B.B. King and writing a column for Esquire magazine.

Another group that she might like if she likes the Shins is Tindersticks. They are a shade depressing at times but have some earthy, low-key rock that always has gotten a good reaction from ladies I've played it for.

lol. I havent read his esquire column. I dont hate the dude at all. I basicly have very little opinion on the matter. I just know she digs it.

good stuff yall. Keep it coming.

its a whole album right?

• I don't know, if she was in her early teens it'd be kind of hard to "show her the real thing," you know? Even so, I've rarely succeeded in these kind of endeavors so I've just decided people are going to like what they like. Here's some suggestions anyway:

Nick Drake

this is a better album IMO but this might strike more recognition because it has the Volkswagon song:

John Martyn's kind of like Nick Drake, a little less depressing. His later stuff is strange and to be avoided though:

I'm not the biggest Tim Buckley fan so I can't reccomend anything by him, but he might fit the vein.

Early Tom Waits is good. This is one of my favorite albums of all time:

New stuff:
    The Latin Playboys are a Los Lobos side project. It's grounded in Americana/roots but it has a very sad, droning, noisey feeling. Good songwriting:

The Drive By Truckers (it's a real bad band name) might be a little too southern/country for most but about half their songs are really well written, lonely drinking and love songs. Kind of like the "real" John Mayer. Their other material is kind of anthemy and corny though:

Hope this helps.

I don't know, if she was in her early teens it'd be kind of hard to "show her the real thing," you know? Even so, I've rarely succeeded in these kind of endeavors so I've just decided people are going to like what they like. Here's some suggestions anyway:

Nick Drake

this is a better album IMO but this might strike more recognition because it has the Volkswagon song:

John Martyn's kind of like Nick Drake, a little less depressing. His later stuff is strange and to be avoided though:

I'm not the biggest Tim Buckley fan so I can't reccomend anything by him, but he might fit the vein.

Early Tom Waits is good. This is one of my favorite albums of all time:

New stuff:
    The Latin Playboys are a Los Lobos side project. It's grounded in Americana/roots but it has a very sad, droning, noisey feeling. Good songwriting:

The Drive By Truckers (it's a real bad band name) might be a little too southern/country for most but about half their songs are really well written, lonely drinking and love songs. Kind of like the "real" John Mayer. Their other material is kind of anthemy and corny though:

Hope this helps.

good stuff. SOulstrut rules. thanks. I know she says she doesnt like sad music though. Or mabye that was angry music. It cant be sad music right?

• good stuff. SOulstrut rules. thanks. I know she says she doesnt like sad music though. Or mabye that was angry music. It cant be sad music right?

OOps. If she doesn't like sad music, you might want to strike my entire post. I thought emo was all about being sad?

its a whole album right?

yes.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I thought emo was all about being sad?

wrong, emo is all about t-shirts and feeling like in autumm all year long

I thought emo was all about being sad?

wrong, emo is all about t-shirts and feeling like in autumm all year long

AAAAAAHHHH hahahahaa

best definition ever.

that dude sufjan stevens seems pretty popular with the emo singer songwriter set