where do you work?

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I oversee the visitors center/office on an Indian reservation. We do hiking tours through Tahquitz Canyon back to a 60ft. waterfall near downtown Palm Springs.

that sounds good.

Indeed

I am a Postdoctoral Fellow doing biophyics research on muscle, building experiments that look like this:

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I am a Postdoctoral Fellow doing biophyics research on muscle, building experiments that look like this:

So you are trying to intimidate that bicep with the black stuff to see if he can lift thhe weight, right?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I celebrate certain elements of their catalogue....

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I teach Music at St Kentigern College. It's a private presbytarian school & is the flashest school I've ever seen in my life, also the first time I went to church was when I got this job 4 years ago, so I don't really know why they chose me, but that's ok. I kinda lucked out I feel because it is really well resourced unlike state schools, it costs about $10K a year for a kid to go there. But definitely a very different culture than where I came from. It's cool because I just get to shoot shit about music all day to a captive audience & the holidays are real good. I had all sorts of other jobs before this but this definitely beats them all. Check out the school website. St Kentigern College aka. The Parents here have waaaay too much $$$

• I am a Postdoctoral Fellow doing biophyics research on muscle, building experiments that look like this:

So you are trying to intimidate that bicep with the black stuff to see if he can lift thhe weight, right?

the "black stuff" are speakers playing an endless loop of _________________. In an effort to get the muscle to ________________.

• Indeed

That is your weakest graemlin yet.

Now, tell me the best exercises to do at the gym.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I cover local politics for a newspaper in Vancouver.

As well, I got some other work on the side to pay the rent. Right now the journalism gig is part time so I'm tryna make some bigger things happen.

• i am an A/V technician at IBM... there is one guy who sets up meetings and i do the repairs... only i'm not allowed to actually do most of the repairs... a lot of the equipment is installed by contractors, and they have to service the equipment they installed... however, they can't go into the rooms where they have to work without me, and once we get there, i am legally not allowed to help them... so i sit around a lot... because i have about 15 bosses (i don't even know which ones outrank the other ones or what any of them actually do) that have to sign off on any work that gets done, i have to do a lot of sitting around waiting for the paperwork to get finished before i can sit around and watch the contractors repair their equipment... there is a least one day a week when i have nothing to do at all the whole day... i have an office with cable tv and internet, and my bosses all work in another building, so i watch Cheaters and The Cosby Show a lot... i make pretty good loot, full benefits, and my hours are noon to 8:30... i hope they can't read this

oh yeah, and i dj at a club in raleigh

• Beekeeper

• People with good jobs will speak up. Not too many people running up, like "Yo yo, I work at Mickey Dees y'all!!! "

where's that pic of the Mack at Taco Bell?

Anyways, I work at Top DJ Gear for all your DJ needs, except that I've been routinely paid late, have had 2 paychecks bounce, and none of the sales staff have recieved commissions in over 6 months. All the while management keeps telling us that "Christmas will save us, and you'll get your commissions then."

yeah right. I also get the most shit from the boss, while I do the most work on the salesfloor, while his brother from another mother skates by all day doing nothing and getting 'best salesman' honors based on pure luck.

but hey, I'm out of here for a week to see my whole fam with my lady out in Cali, and quite frankly would not care if my job is not waiting for me on my return.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'm semi unemployed, but i've been working as a substitute at the local high school. the job mostly entails me taking attendance and making sure a fight doesn't break out. it's kind of funny to listen to the kids gossip and snap on one another, but it's mostly boring, i usually either zone out or read. i don't think i'm very good at it because the two questions students most frequently ask me are "are you bored?" and "is this your first day?". some kids were accusing me of being stoned today.

prior to that i worked as a manager/projectionist/bartender/cook/vomit cleaner/beer drinker/nap taker at a movie theatre & bar. i got fired when a co-worker physically attacked me. well sort of, i had already given them my two week notice, but they severed that two weeks when the incident occured.

i'm still looking for real work.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    A good job is one that pays the bills, lets you have time off to dig for records and you don't hate waking up for.

I've had mine for 25 years.

I'm in charge of New Product Development for a large Environmental/Chemical Corp.

I spend waaaay too much time selling vinyl on ebay.

And I've run this Rockadelic label thang since '88

By far my toughest job is raising two teen-age girls!!(That think some of the Strutters they've met in real life are "hot")

• i'm semi unemployed, but i've been working as a substitute at the local high school. the job mostly entails me taking attendance and making sure a fight doesn't break out. it's kind of funny to listen to the kids gossip and snap on one another, but it's mostly boring, i usually either zone out or read. i don't think i'm very good at it because the two questions students most frequently ask me are "are you bored?" and "is this your first day?". some kids were accusing me of being stoned today.

prior to that i worked as a manager/projectionist/bartender/cook/vomit cleaner/beer drinker/nap taker at a movie theatre & bar. i got fired when a co-worker physically attacked me. well sort of, i had already given them my two week notice, but they severed that two weeks when the incident occured.

i'm still looking for real work.

That GW degree isn't doing much is it? I've been there...at least our basketball team is the kicking the shit out of the dregs of Division I.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Noz,

Did you get your teacher's license?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

No. I don't know how it works in other states but in jersey all you need to sub is 60 or more college credits. And you can't have a criminal record or tuberculosis.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

That is your weakest graemlin yet.

Now, tell me the best exercises to do at the gym.

Alternating heavy and light training will lead to better performance than just frequent heavy training.

Eat a well balanced diet of healthy, natural foods, including beneficial fats, complex carbohydrates, and lots of water. Seems to me that there are very few supplements that have any medically provable benefits outside of the placebo effect.

I'm not really into the physiology side of things, but you might want to check out one of my co-workers

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

No. I don't know how it works in other states but in jersey all you need to sub is 60 or more college credits. And you can't have a criminal record or tuberculosis.

Damn.

Here in MN you need a degree in your content area, a degree in secondary or elementary education, a passing score on a licensure test, and a recommendation to the state by your university.

Edit: That's to get a license, but old folks were grandfathered in, meaning they don't need a degree in content area or state recommendation to sub.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I work with disabled people...cutting checks, vocational rehab, and all that entails. Very sad at times, but very fulfulling for me. I don't have to take my work home and at the end of the day I usually feel like I've done a small amount of good. The pay's ok so I'm thinking of going tback to school next fall for a more advanced degree so I can do a little more good.

*hijack* On a daily basis I get to see the lack of attention that is afforded our soldiers and veterans...and it's bad.

Rarely do people in lines of work like that NOT take their work home with them. My girlfriend works with autistic kids and adults, as well as with people with a variety of other developmental maledies, and she is constanlty talking to me about what she goes through at work. Granted she is a woman -- and a talkative one at that -- but it seems like most in that type of work have a hard time "leaving" it there.

Me, I am an entry-level reporter at a small-time suburban newspaper. I cover an impoverished area that once was an industrial haven and a fine place to live in the first half of the 20th century. Now, it's a dumping ground of the Chicago Housing Authority and what I like to call the Detroit of Illinois. There are few jobs, decreasing business, lots of empty properties and a lot of crime. To make matters worse, my own company is a scandal-plagued media machine (Hollinger International) whose former heads are under indictment. They are hiring no more people and many others are jumping ship. The future of many of the papers are up in the air, but my job seems secure. After all, there is not much benefit in firing someone who makes so little money.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i work at a graphic design office, where i do alot of programming and network admin shit. plus the other random money channels. and i go to school.

• I work at Population Reference Bureau, a non-profit that does work in reproductive health, public / population health and environmental health (mostly in developing countries). I am working on the launch of a new public health publication called 'Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries,' which is part of the Disease Control Priorities Project, which is a partnership between the World Bank, World Health Organization, Fogarty International Center, and Population Reference Bureau and the Gates Foundation. The book is an analysis of different disease interventions and their cost-effectiveness. Hopefully, it will greatly influence health policy in developing countries by giving policy makers cost-effectiveness analyses of different disease and health system interventions. The global launch will be next april in Beijing.

Oh, and I also spin records about 3-4 weekends a month.

• i work in a library as a librarian/computer dude it sucks but pays 3/4 of my bills

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    At the moment, I don't work anywhere, but I'm going to the Mix magazine office in a couple hours to see what kind of job offer they're going to give me, so perhaps I will be working for Mix (and to a lesser extent Remix and Electronic Musician) before too long.

Failing that, I freelance as a writer, editor, and copy editor. And I pick up some cash DJing as well.

• Try and sell shit on ebay every now and then and just got a job at some new Subway down the street thats opening in 2 weeks. Shit is cool cuz I get to see all the honeys when they get outta school.

• I work with disabled people...cutting checks, vocational rehab, and all that entails. Very sad at times, but very fulfulling for me. I don't have to take my work home and at the end of the day I usually feel like I've done a small amount of good. The pay's ok so I'm thinking of going tback to school next fall for a more advanced degree so I can do a little more good.

*hijack* On a daily basis I get to see the lack of attention that is afforded our soldiers and veterans...and it's bad.

Rarely do people in lines of work like that NOT take their work home with them. My girlfriend works with autistic kids and adults, as well as with people with a variety of other developmental maledies, and she is constanlty talking to me about what she goes through at work. Granted she is a woman -- and a talkative one at that -- but it seems like most in that type of work have a hard time "leaving" it there.

Me, I am an entry-level reporter at a small-time suburban newspaper. I cover an impoverished area that once was an industrial haven and a fine place to live in the first half of the 20th century. Now, it's a dumping ground of the Chicago Housing Authority and what I like to call the Detroit of Illinois. There are few jobs, decreasing business, lots of empty properties and a lot of crime. To make matters worse, my own company is a scandal-plagued media machine (Hollinger International) whose former heads are under indictment. They are hiring no more people and many others are jumping ship. The future of many of the papers are up in the air, but my job seems secure. After all, there is not much benefit in firing someone who makes so little money.

The way I've learned to deal with it is just to resolve the fact that the people would be in this situation with or without my presence. My only purpose is to help all that I can. It has taken some effort not to take it home though, in a figurative sense.

• Noz,

Since it came up, I guess I should mention that I am the interim program manager for the Teacher Licensure Application Center in the Teacher Education Department at a state college. I am in charge of filtering and admitting students to the program in order for them to be recommended to the state dept. of ed for a Teacher's License. And I'm a high school drop out. Irony.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Try and sell shit on ebay every now and then and just got a job at some new Subway down the street thats opening in 2 weeks. Shit is cool cuz I get to see all the honeys when they get outta school.

Wait, shouldn't you be in school?

And the fist place the honeys go afterward is Subway?

• Try and sell shit on ebay every now and then and just got a job at some new Subway down the street thats opening in 2 weeks. Shit is cool cuz I get to see all the honeys when they get outta school.

Nah I go to school before work. Also at the high school they let students eat out for lunch so they get to go around the school. Hopefully they make the right choice and head to Subway. A lot of people always go eat after school and since it's new they hopefully will czech it out.

BATCH.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Try and sell shit on ebay every now and then and just got a job at some new Subway down the street thats opening in 2 weeks. Shit is cool cuz I get to see all the honeys when they get outta school.

Nah I go to school before work. Also at the high school they let students eat out for lunch so they get to go around the school. Hopefully they make the right choice and head to Subway. A lot of people always go eat after school and since it's new they hopefully will czech it out.

BATCH.

Shit, MY BAD; looks like you got the game saran-wrapped tight, my man. I'll leave you to making dry-as-butt sandwiches for the honeys. (NSFW)

BATCH.

Shit, MY BAD; looks like you got the game saran-wrapped tight, my man. I'll leave you to making dry-as-butt sandwiches for the honeys. (NSFW)

Dayum. Can't wait. Too bad I'm not next to the beach. Sadly though I work with a buncha not so eye catching women. Shit is wack but hopefully they are cool so that at least makes up for it.

• At a five diamond resort in Scottsdale, AZ. I work with children ages 5 to 12.