where do you work?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i've not been having a 9-5 since around 1998. been surviving off the music biz since. before that i worked in a record store and was a host at a restaurant. just curious how everyone makes a living. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Grad studentor (masters in physics ) + Video Rental Store + Cinematheque

I've been thinking recently that I need some $$$ and some real world moves. I may try to get a job as an engineer at Rane. Has anyone worked there or knows what they're like as an employer?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• As everyone well knows by now, I am dutifully unemployed. I spend my days volunteering at my kid's school, being a marginal homemaker, being an excellent bathroom humor comedian, and posting on Soulstrut.

Oh and I look for jobs.

• Graphic design for a large format digital printer (read- i make bullshit signs/ads for a living)

the upshot being printing giant nekkid ladies for wallpaper (amongst other things) and being able to put my personal artwork up in windows/alleys/bustops in under 5 minutes.

• I work in the IT department for a Building Society, as a User Support dude, so any dudes how have a problem with their PC or cant remember their passwords call me and I help them out with their problem. Its aiight.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Work as a project manager at a medical research/publishing company.

Believe me it's fascinating work, that's why I spend all my time blogging and on soulstrut.

• People with good jobs will speak up. Not too many people running up, like "Yo yo, I work at Mickey Dees y'all!!! "

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I create business forms and checks for a reputable check company. But all anyone needs to know about my job is that, this year, I'm not getting paid for chrsitmas day OR new years.

• Work as a project manager at a medical research/publishing company.

Believe me it's fascinating work, that's why I spend all my time blogging and on soulstrut.

Work as a project manager at a university medical center dept of radiology.

• Self-employed in arts related advertising and distribution for the last 4 years, don't make a lot of cash but only work 6-15 days per month.

• like-this-and-like-that-self-employee. some IT or graphic jobs, some dj income, some jazz quartet gigs. works for over three years now and iam not goin back to 9 to 5 as long as it works.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I am a "Technical Administrator" for a group of cardiothoracic surgeons. Its actually a good job. I handle the network/passwords/VPN/ etc.. As well as the graphic design they need. We have two offices, one in Grand Rapids and one in Muskegon, and soon to have a 3rd office. I get to divide my time between the 2 places, which allows me to take leisurely drives stopping off for records

I get paid a whole heck of a lot, I get full insurance, profit sharing,401k, and money for school. I get reimbursed for any medical expense. If I buy tylenol, I bring in the receipt and they cut me a check. So I usually save up all my receipts like that for about 2 months and get broke off with a nice check. I also just found out that they are going to be paying for my daycare expenses next year. Thank god. I dropped 8K on daycare this year.

NOt a bad job, because in reality, I dont really do that much.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'm a chef at a seafood restaurant on the Jersey shore. It's seasonal so I don't have to work until the end of March. Booya! Also in the past I've done freelance video production and occasional dj gigs. Make my own t-shirts as well. Thanks for asking.

• PC support on a trading floor for a swiss bank. Working inhumane hours (60 hour weeks), 7 years in I.T. and the best days have come and gone. Approaching 30 and seriously thinking how did all this shi* happen. Girlfriend, the dog, records (slowly gettin out of little dude status thanks to the knowledge gained @ Soulstrut), beats, all help me keep a level head. but this shi* right here is not for me.

• I'm a Help Desk/projects coordinator in the IT dept of a daily newspaper. I also design/maintain databases.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Graphic design, illustration, writing up ideas for projects and marketing strategies, amongst other things...
    For example, today I'm writing text for an adidas DVD but on Friday I was making animations in After Effects for Playstation.

I'm currently working a three-month contract at my old employer, but I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing this time next year...

Probably not the right place for a plug, but fuck it... someone might like my stuff and commission something.
    www.agentorange.com...

• used to work here

Started in SF as a service rep, transfered back to NYC as a junior broker.

Amid corporate scandal I caught a nice severence and opened this:

Where you can find me day in and day out, blowing reefer and grading records...

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

Where you can find me day in and day out, blowing reefer and grading records...

And when I next make it out to NYC, that will be one of the first places I come to visit! Can't wait!

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I'm a drafter at a small engineering firm & go to school. My boss let's me work flexible hours & gave me full insurance coverage despite me working just 24-27 hrs/week. Works for me. Before this, I used to process shipment at Old Navy & pushed mashed potatoes at Boston Market. I had to clean toilets & mop floors at both places. Needless to say, I like my current situation.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    full time self employed bboy makin noise...fo real, i am just about to finish my studies and currently get all my money from music related work, spinning records at least twice a week and writing about music for magazines like "Juice" (biggest HipHopmag in Germany and i think in Europe as well) and "Spex"...steady grinding, but no 9-5 for me right now. Used to do that, but as long as I can exist like I use to now, I continue the grind....

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I work at the Pricing Department for a telecommunications company. Basically, we put the prices on every product or service that's being marketed.

Full time rat racing. Human fucking zoo. Funny sometimes, depressing others. Can't complain.

Oh yeah, I post here too.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I GET PAID TO POST HERE>

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I GET PAID TO POST HERE>

Oh, thank God my boss doesn't want to fuck me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Head Preparator here.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I'm a research engineer (RF & microwave - circuits, antennas, packaging) for a Canadian gov't research lab. A lot of my job is simulations before we build something, and the simulations take enough time to browse SS, but not enough time to go and do anything productive.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    In-house designer, developer, manager, jack of all trades at exida , a safety engineering consulting firm my father-in-law started 6 years a go.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i am a partner in a new studio slated to take off in '06. my duties are
    a)engineering
    b)producing
    c)find bands to record and liscence
    d)be young (i am 10 years youner than my 2 partners)

hopefully we will have a good go at it. things are looking good. we are ultimately going to be writing music to be liscenced(thats where the money is these days). but until then i will record/mix/guerilla master anything that comes my way. hollur if you hear me.

before that i was a freelance engineer/wiring guy(installing audio and video systems).

before that i was a restaraunt whore.

i like being my own boss.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    A lot of my job is simulation

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Almost a year ago (dec 24) I got fired from a record store chain amid some of my complaints about a hostile workplace (swastikas, and anti-semetic banter from the co-workers) Since then I've been able to settle into a much better lifestyle working in Television production mostly doing shows for this network:

I've also done some work for ABC, and some freelance.

• Right now i'm back at the record company i worked for on and off since 2000 but also has some part time in a record store, my friends cafe (www.mjolkbaren.com) and a store that sells spray cans, street wear and drawing stuff..

But for now until august it's the record company, we sell a lot of chartcrap and stuff i wouldn't touch with a ten foot remote but we also have Kent, SoulJazz, Grapevine, loads of jazz, soul, blues, world music etc etc and also some rap stuff and such.. plenty of everything so to speak..

I'm also an artist (drawing, painting etc) but haven't really tried to make any money from it..

/Leo