my face has melt the f*ck off...

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

can we redirect this thread to how weezy got robbed by eminem and should be #1 on the billboard instead of him?

Who were all these people lined up to buy that album the first week?

I mean, don't Eminem fans already have all of those tracks?

They had to have the digipack?
    ummm, it has three new tracks on it and it features stan performed live!

• shit's corny

I'm afraid that I've got to agree--this and the grown and sexy tracks are the only cuts on the album that I skip.

However, if the song--which I do think was a genuine attempt at something ambitious--is successful in introducing Wayne to a new audience, then I guess I'm not too mad.

but he's too dark to tan!
    i am not ashamed to admit that that song is at least top 5 of the year for me...

DUDE

seriously that is a guilty pleasure. That beat man....

Not to mention the conceptual arc of Thicke's bank robbery narrative...

I wasn't talking about the Thicke song, but the Bobby Valentino song from whence the "too dark to tan" line came; indeed, the thick song.

Now the conceptual arc on that one - a work of serious focus and dedication!

Oops... sonned by dudes with a superior knowledge of the Bobby Valentino catalog.

I don't think I've even heard that.

Get your "coming out of every passing car this past summer" game up, son!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Oops... sonned by dudes with a superior knowledge of the Bobby Valentino catalog.

surely you have heard the song while getting your hair did at the barber shop
    http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=35AMDJB9KLFZB1W6MB5MC5LEZN

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    shit's corny

I'm afraid that I've got to agree--this and the grown and sexy tracks are the only cuts on the album that I skip.

However, if the song--which I do think was a genuine attempt at something ambitious--is successful in introducing Wayne to a new audience, then I guess I'm not too mad.

but he's too dark to tan!
    i am not ashamed to admit that that song is at least top 5 of the year for me...

DUDE

seriously that is a guilty pleasure. That beat man....

Not to mention the conceptual arc of Thicke's bank robbery narrative...

I wasn't talking about the Thicke song, but the Bobby Valentino song from whence the "too dark to tan" line came; indeed, the thick song.

Now the conceptual arc on that one - a work of serious focus and dedication!

Get your "coming out of every passing car this past summer" game up, son!

Hmmm... thanks to the internets, I now know what you're talking about, but I still don't think I've ever heard the version with Weezie.

It appears my umbilical cord-like connection to the streets has been severed.

• best song on the carter 2 is "hustler muzik" though

("...and please say the motherfucking baby")

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    best song on the carter 2 is "hustler muzik" though

fuck yeah
    head to the sky feet on the ground fingers to the judge

faux, is hustler muzik one of the "grown man" tracks you skip?

surely you have heard the song while getting your hair did at the barber shop

Dudes at my barbershop are old school--they'd prefer the Weezie-less version.

fuck yeah

head to the sky feet on the ground fingers to the judge

faux, is hustler muzik one of the "grown man" tracks you skip?

No

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

"got Nina in my palm and i'm masterbatin'"

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Didn't read all the posts here but I see this dude had a make over and a new set of producers. Andre Harrell thried to bring this dude out like 4 years ago and it didn't work, now Pharrell got his hands on em'. Alan Thicke's son if y'all didn't know from Growing Pains.

• Never thought I'd see Lil' Wayne and the graemlin in the same thread...lol

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Never thought I'd see Lil' Wayne and the graemlin in the same thread...lol

Perhaps you're not too familiar with "rap music"

• Seperated at birth?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

MAINEY?

• The higher synthy bloopy bleepy melody line sounds really familiar... anyone know where that's from??
    I believe it sounds like something that the Dust Bros used on Beck's last album. Maybe it's just the actual synth sound, and not a sample at all...

I like the song. Production is clean, but I don't think it's in a bad way. I like all the subtle turntable cuts, and how the song changes up a lot.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i really dont get the hype behind Lil Wayne. dudes not that good. dudes jump on his dick, then shit on someone like Cassidy.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i really dont get the hype behind Lil Wayne. dudes not that good. dudes jump on his dick, then shit on someone like Cassidy.

lol at your continued love for cassidy.

Wayne is hot right now, his new album is crack if you dont have it yet. Hes at the top of his game lyrically too. I used to think he was one of the worst in the hot boyz, but these days hes stepped it up.

• i really dont get the hype behind Lil Wayne. dudes not that good. dudes jump on his dick, then shit on someone like Cassidy.

We need a "popcorn" graemlin for posts like this that portend highly entertaining future replies.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

lol at your continued love for cassidy.

cassidy is that real shit. why did dude have to go and kill somebody?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Perhaps you're not too familiar with "crap"

- spidey

The higher synthy bloopy bleepy melody line sounds really familiar... anyone know where that's from??
    I believe it sounds like something that the Dust Bros used on Beck's last album. Maybe it's just the actual synth sound, and not a sample at all...

You are not real

Perhaps you're not too familiar with "crap"

- spidey

Why thank you for that insightful post alteration, "spidey"!

• Freaks of the Industry + Mass Appeal + Soprano's theme song + Pepsi commercial = this

100%

it's a little too clean for my taste but it's definitley different on the production tip. It's cool, just not for me.

70%. Cool that is. 95% not for me.

it's a little too clean for my taste but it's definitley different on the production tip. It's cool, just not for me.

You're more bout that Cassidy?

• it's a little too clean for my taste but it's definitley different on the production tip. It's cool, just not for me.

You're more bout that Cassidy?

No, I avoid artists who have a name more fitting for the alienated middle daughter of a suburban development-occupying SUV-driving family.

I much prefer the ones named after Shakespearian plays.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    the company i work at manages robin and his wife paula patton. robin's a very talented musician and singer, and a cool guy. his wife is the don't know if you guys knew this, but "shooter" was a song on robin's first album from a couple years ago that weezyfbaby apparently really liked, and so did some verses over. i celebrate his entire catalogue, so i was very happy at this collabo. robin has another song with wayne coming out on his album in two months, but i don't think its anywhere close to touching shooter.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Why thank you for that insightful post alteration, "spidey"!

That's what I'm here for.

- spidey

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    who the fuck is robin thicke?

Say... this song isn't bad....

EDIT: It would be better if either of these guys could stay on beat. But the music is good.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2005/12/lil_waynes_shoo.php

There's another song on Tha Carter II which could become a monstrously huge crossover jam, which could catapult Wayne to major stardom and introduce him to, like, Black Crowes fans and white frat-kids and people who work in dentists' offices, people who would never listen to a Southern rapper talk about killing people and saying fuck the radio under virtually any circumstances. The song is called "Shooter." It's produced by a white soul singer named Robin Thicke (Alan's son, yeah), a guy who dropped an album a couple of years ago. I consciously avoided the album because he made a soda commercial that I hated, but apparently "Shooter" is based on a song from the record, so I need to hear it. It starts out with Thicke singing in a resigned, bluesy gurgle over a simple walking bassline, talking in shorthand about a bank robbery: "I turned around, I was staring at chrome / Shotgun watches door, got security good." Slowly, instruments come in: a shivering southern-rock guitar line, DJ scratches, the descending sonar-blips from Gang Starr's "Mass Appeal," a sweaty organ. Wayne doesn't start rapping until almost a minute and a half into the song, and he all but abandons Thicke's bank-robbery premise: "So many doubt cuz I come from the South / But when I open up my mouth, all bullets come out." He's got an easy drawl on this song, not the playful rasp from the rest of the album but a laid-back, unforced stream-of-consciousness, and it matches up perfectly with the track's back-porch sunny-Alabama-afternoon lope. After a great little drum break, Thicke sings again while Wayne murmurs under him, and the track continues to swell. All of a sudden, everything but a heavily processed guitar and a couple of congas drops out, and Wayne talks serious: "And to the radio stations, I'm tired of being patient / Stop being rapper-racist / Region haters." (He also calls them "behind-door dick-takers, which is problematic, but let's let it slide.) Then the mission-statement: "This is Southern, face it / If we too simple, then y'all don't get the basics." Boom. There's a swaggering piano, Thicke singing ecstatically, everything coming back. And then more: sirens, horn-stabs, machine-guns drum-fills, almost-gospel backing vocals. And then it's over, four and a half minutes of classic-rock blissout; it's like Wayne had wandered into "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and suddenly, improbably figured out a way to make it twice as good. If it wasn't for all the cussing, my mom would like this.

And that's the thing. I could be listening with blinders on, but right now I can't imagine a single person I've ever met not loving this song. Sean Fennessey did a great write-up of this song on Pitchfork, and it's a good look; not even the snobbiest Deerhoof heads could deny something this magical. This song could be Wayne's "Hard Knock Life," the track that finally introduces him to the world at large. "Grown Man" is fake crossover, a bald attempt to cater to certain demographics. "Shooter" is the real thing, a song that careens over genre lines and brings everyone along with it. The world needs the song, and here's hoping it's single number three. It's Christmastime. We've been good. We deserve it.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2005/12/lil_waynes_shoo.php

There's another song on Tha Carter II which could become a monstrously huge crossover jam, which could catapult Wayne to major stardom and introduce him to, like, Black Crowes fans and white frat-kids and people who work in dentists' offices, people who would never listen to a Southern rapper talk about killing people and saying fuck the radio under virtually any circumstances. The song is called "Shooter." It's produced by a white soul singer named Robin Thicke (Alan's son, yeah), a guy who dropped an album a couple of years ago. I consciously avoided the album because he made a soda commercial that I hated, but apparently "Shooter" is based on a song from the record, so I need to hear it. It starts out with Thicke singing in a resigned, bluesy gurgle over a simple walking bassline, talking in shorthand about a bank robbery: "I turned around, I was staring at chrome / Shotgun watches door, got security good." Slowly, instruments come in: a shivering southern-rock guitar line, DJ scratches, the descending sonar-blips from Gang Starr's "Mass Appeal," a sweaty organ. Wayne doesn't start rapping until almost a minute and a half into the song, and he all but abandons Thicke's bank-robbery premise: "So many doubt cuz I come from the South / But when I open up my mouth, all bullets come out." He's got an easy drawl on this song, not the playful rasp from the rest of the album but a laid-back, unforced stream-of-consciousness, and it matches up perfectly with the track's back-porch sunny-Alabama-afternoon lope. After a great little drum break, Thicke sings again while Wayne murmurs under him, and the track continues to swell. All of a sudden, everything but a heavily processed guitar and a couple of congas drops out, and Wayne talks serious: "And to the radio stations, I'm tired of being patient / Stop being rapper-racist / Region haters." (He also calls them "behind-door dick-takers, which is problematic, but let's let it slide.) Then the mission-statement: "This is Southern, face it / If we too simple, then y'all don't get the basics." Boom. There's a swaggering piano, Thicke singing ecstatically, everything coming back. And then more: sirens, horn-stabs, machine-guns drum-fills, almost-gospel backing vocals. And then it's over, four and a half minutes of classic-rock blissout; it's like Wayne had wandered into "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and suddenly, improbably figured out a way to make it twice as good. If it wasn't for all the cussing, my mom would like this.

And that's the thing. I could be listening with blinders on, but right now I can't imagine a single person I've ever met not loving this song. Sean Fennessey did a great write-up of this song on Pitchfork, and it's a good look; not even the snobbiest Deerhoof heads could deny something this magical. This song could be Wayne's "Hard Knock Life," the track that finally introduces him to the world at large. "Grown Man" is fake crossover, a bald attempt to cater to certain demographics. "Shooter" is the real thing, a song that careens over genre lines and brings everyone along with it. The world needs the song, and here's hoping it's single number three. It's Christmastime. We've been good. We deserve it.

rapper racist, region hater