Blowout Comb - Instrumentals?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
Does this exist... I am listening to this record for the first time in a while, and i love the beats but I just cannot stomach the vocals on this shit.I feel like there was an instro release on this at some point.

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I highly doubt it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It was called "Roy Ayers - He's Coming."

Mouse took the bait.

• i love the beats but I just cannot stomach the vocals on this shit.

who was actually responsible for the music on that album?

• haha!

Seriously, these lyrics have gotten worse every year that I didn't listen to this record. They're really, really bad.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    i love the beats but I just cannot stomach the vocals on this shit.

King Britt? Was that just the first one?

• i love the beats but I just cannot stomach the vocals on this shit.

King Britt? Was that just the first one?

Conceived, written, produced & arranged by Digable Planets
    All keyboard arrangements: Digable Planets and Dave Darlington
    Interludes composed by David Lee Jones
    Co-Produced, recorded, and mixed by Dave Darlington

There are a number of session players involved on a track-by-track basis.

• It was called "Roy Ayers - He's Coming."

Mouse took the bait.

you forgot the bobby humphries

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    King Didn't do the beats on either one, but he did end up using a lot of the session players for his own shit. It was Butterfly who did most of the music, with Dave Darlington helping coordinate the session recordings with Ishmael's beats.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It was called "Roy Ayers - He's Coming."

Mouse took the bait.

you forgot the bobby humphries

I went with my favorite.
    I actually like this album, though. The beatsmithery is - honestly - pretty good. And the lyrics are certainly better on this than on their former effort.

Note to self: "If I so deign to become a rapper in the future, I will never use the word 'Uterus' in one of my raps. Unless it rhymes with cooter-ous. Or Lee GUUUUetterman."

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    haha!

Seriously, these lyrics have gotten worse every year that I didn't listen to this record. They're really, really bad.

Oh cmon, they're not THAT bad. Was just bumping this yesterday.

• haha!

Dude, they're awful. I'm going to transcribe them tomorrow just to prove a point.

Overnight homework: write me one lyric off this record that is good. I'll be back tomorrow. Same time, same bat channel.

• haha!

They're no Melachi the nutcracker, but...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    King Didn't do the beats on either one, but he did end up using a lot of the session players for his own shit. It was Butterfly who did most of the music, with Dave Darlington helping coordinate the session recordings with Ishmael's beats.

Wonder where that rumor came from.

• haha!

Dude, they're awful. I'm going to transcribe them tomorrow just to prove a point.

Overnight homework: write me one lyric off this record that is good. I'll be back tomorrow. Same time, same bat channel.

The lyrics are ABSOLUTELY that bad.

I can't believe you liked them back in the day. They sound like they're rapping in the 7th grade talent show. I always thought they were uber-corny. "Puma" does not rhyme with "momma."

But yes, the beats are cool.

• that album was only about the beats... the rhymes were ultimate zzzzzzzzzz...

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    sssssSLICK MOVES......AND EVERY SPOT WE HIT IS GETTIN' BLOWNNNNNnnnnn.....

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I dunno what you fuckers are on about.

I love the beats and the lyrics on Blowout Comb. Sure they might sound strange when juxtaposed with Ice-Cube or Rakim, but to me, their uniqueness is their charm. And if y'all think they're cheesey, then I love me some cheesey hip-hop lyrics.

• I dunno what you fuckers are on about.

I love the beats and the lyrics on Blowout Comb. Sure they might sound strange when juxtaposed with Ice-Cube or Rakim, but to me, their uniqueness is their charm. And if y'all think they're cheesey, then I love me some cheesey hip-hop lyrics.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I dunno what you fuckers are on about.

Fuck yes..... I'll stand behind all aspects of this album. These 3 were

• Let's get back on track:

Does this exist...?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Let's get back on track:

Does this exist...?

Not that I know of...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

This is like Donald Wildmon, but on Music; disturbing, but you can't turn away.

THE DIGABLE PLANETS ARE A NEGATIVE INFLUENCE ON YOUR CHILDREN. LISTEN TO DC TALK INSTEAD.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my ex was feelling this album something hard..........she called me to see if I was going to their reunion show.

me: "umm no"

yet I own this on vinyl and cd.......so who's the herb now?

ps: no I haven't listened to it in years

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    haha!

The lyrics are ABSOLUTELY that bad.

I can't believe you liked them back in the day. They sound like they're rapping in the 7th grade talent show. I always thought they were uber-corny. "Puma" does not rhyme with "momma."

What?! They be to rap what key be to lock, kid!

Also: "swoon units"

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Note to self: "If I so deign to become a rapper in the future, I will never use the word 'Uterus' in one of my raps. Unless it rhymes with cooter-ous. Or Lee GUUUUetterman."

I think raps should say the word uterus more !! Hell the rap practically writes itself.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

It's all about the delivery, example #1 is an excerpt from Ice Cube:

Lookin at my girlfriend's black skin
    You wanna jump in, but she don't like white men
    So don't throw that work you fuckin jerk
    Or get your punk devil ass hurt motherfucker
    She ain't with the pale face
    Cause y'all fuck at a snail's pace
    And you might get sprayed with mace
    By the ebony
    So when she's doing her job you better let her be
    Don't try to pinch the gluterus
    Thinkin that you about to knock out the uterus[/b]

• Note to self: "If I so deign to become a rapper in the future, I will never use the word 'Snapple'[/b] in one of my raps.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    If you have a half hour to spare, read this. It's a great article about the album.

Honestly, I'm surprised Johnny doesn't like the lyrics. After all, they've got a unifying conceptual arc.

(I know, I know... that was a cheaply unoriginal faux-rillian joke.)

I do agree that the lyrics are[/b] pretty garbage in a strictly "lyrical" sense, but so what? I think they work in a weird sort've (attempt at) be-bop-meets-beat-poetry-meets-native-tongues-meets-brooklyn.

Basically, I can't imagine the album being any other way and am not sure I want to.

I would like to hear Lil Weezy rappin' over some of these beats though.

-e

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Love Rawkus and Blowout Comb.