Blowout Comb - Instrumentals?

Comments

• be-bop-meets-beat-poetry-meets-native-tongues-meets-brooklyn.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    for some reason (well cause i did like it back in the day) i've managed to procure two copies of this on wax

i needs to get rid of one me thinks.. though one is a boot / repress

• for some reason (well cause i did like it back in the day) i've managed to procure two copies of this on wax

i needs to get rid of one me thinks.. though one is a boot / repress

Instrumentals or regular album?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    nah i have the Roy Ayers so i dont need the instros

this is the regular lp with the funny rhyming ontop

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I do agree that the lyrics are[/b] pretty garbage in a strictly "lyrical" sense, but so what? I think they work in a weird sort've (attempt at) be-bop-meets-beat-poetry-meets-native-tongues-meets-brooklyn.

What, exactly, about those clowns says "be-bop"? The imagery in their videos?

Most of the "jazz" records that they sampled aren't even really what I would call jazz.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I do agree that the lyrics are[/b] pretty garbage in a strictly "lyrical" sense, but so what? I think they work in a weird sort've (attempt at) be-bop-meets-beat-poetry-meets-native-tongues-meets-brooklyn.

Most of the "jazz" records that they sampled aren't even really what I would call jazz.

What do you call jazz?

What do you call jazz?

Music with a more improvisational quality than Mizell brothers productions or "We Live in Brooklyn".

What do you call jazz?

Music with a more improvisational quality than Mizell brothers productions or "We Live in Brooklyn".

Pure Be-Bop.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

The mostly non-sensical rhythmic lyricism that isn't really based on lyricism but is based on flow and rhythm (albeit a not-very advanced sense of rhythm). I'm obviously not talking about the instrumentation.

Herb.

-e

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    non-sensical rhythmic lyricism that isn't really based on lyricism

Ouch.

I know what you're trying to say, but you're gonna catch it.

• What, exactly, about those clowns says "be-bop"? The imagery in their videos?

The mostly non-sensical rhythmic lyricism that isn't really based on lyricism but is based on flow and rhythm (albeit a not-very advanced sense of rhythm). I'm obviously not talking about the instrumentation.

Herb.

-e

I like my rap with lyricism and flow.

Bebop as opposed to earlier swing-based jazz was characterized by a move from melody-based improvisation to improvisation based on chord progressions.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

What do you call jazz?

So then...would US3 be considered "jazz"? Or Prefuse 73 for that matter?

What do you call jazz?

Pure Be-Bop.

Not quite... there's a tremendous musical spectrum between the level of improvisation present in Mizell brothers productions and pure be-bop.

Not saying that music is bad, but I don't think much of anybody besides SoulStrut dudes who want to pat themselves on the back for being "jazz headz" thinks that it actually is jazz.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

We need one of those Stone's Throw board type-filters where if you post the word "US3" it comes out "Starbucks."

Herb.

-e

You have just muscled your way into the front-running for the first annual Tricia Rose Rupture-n-Flow award.

What do you call jazz?

US3: based on the one song I have heard, I would say emphatically no--nothing whatsoever to do with jazz

Prefuse 73: never heard it, although I suspect not.

• Blowout Comb = "Phatter than a '94 Landcruiser"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

You have just muscled your way into the front-running for the first annual Tricia Rose Rupture-n-Flow award.

I'm happy to announce that I totally don't get this reference.

-e

I'm happy to announce that I totally don't get this reference.

-e

Read up on your readups:

She offers "Rupture and Flow" (not to be cofused with "Hustle and Flow") as the unifying hip-hop aesthetic.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Where's JP with the Digable quotables?

Faux and others, would you say that what Roy Ayers and the like were doing in the 70s was improvisational funk more than funky jazz? Just curious.
    T.N.

What do you call jazz?

Pure Be-Bop.

Not quite... there's a tremendous musical spectrum between the level of improvisation present in Mizell brothers productions and pure be-bop.

Not saying that music is bad, but I don't think much of anybody besides SoulStrut dudes who want to pat themselves on the back for being "jazz headz" thinks that it actually is jazz.

You need to turn on your sarcast-o-meter, Faux.

Honestly, I just like the way that Blowout Comb sounds, and that includes any wack flow, wack lyrics,etc. Can I just like the vibe without all the over-analysis?

Anyway...carry on!

• Where's Vanguard Squad with the Digable quotables?

Where's JP with the Digable quotables?

Faux and others, would you say that what Roy Ayers and the like were doing in the 70s was improvisational funk more than funky jazz? Just curious.

T.N.

I don't really have a need to place it within a particular microgenre, I just object to people referring to it as "jazz," particularly when they are trying to lay claim to some sort of credibility or authenticity through their taste for, or sampling of, it; it is jazzy[/b], but not really jazz.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    when they are trying to lay claim to some sort of credibility or authenticity through their taste for, or sampling of, it; it is jazzy[/b], but not really jazz.

This is an excellent point. Let me try to retract the minutia question and ask instead, was Roy Ayers a funk band with jazz instruments? I'm just interested in opinions.

T.N.

PS To keep it Digable related, they are like many grupos I liked back then, I was listening to the beats and ignoring their dumb ass rhymes.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I don't really have a need to place it within a particular microgenre, I just object to people referring to it as "jazz," particularly when they are trying to lay claim to some sort of credibility or authenticity through their taste for, or sampling of, it; it is jazzy[/b], but not really jazz.

You could say this about pretty much any rap song with the word "jazz" in the title.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Honestly, I just like the way that Blowout Comb sounds, and that includes any wack flow, wack lyrics,etc. Can I just like the vibe without all the over-analysis?

I'm with you.

-e

I'm with you.

-e

Guys, at least half the discussions we have on SoulStrut could be characterized as "over-analysis"; let's not get all huffy just because the "over-analysis" in this case tends to expose one of your cherished headwraps-n-incense rap releases for the terd that is is. Did you not try to foist an essay on us that, by your own admission, would take a half hour to read? Is that not the very definition of over-analysis?

You mad, creamy spy?

We like the breeze flow straight out of our lids
    Them they got moved by these hard-rock Brooklyn kids
    Us floor rush when the dj's boomin' classics
    You dig the crew on the fattest hip-hop record
    He tucks the kinks and sinks into the sounds
    She frequents the fatter joints called undergrounds
    Our funk zooms like you hit the Mary Jane
    They flock to booms, man, boogie had to change
    Who freaks the clips with mad about percussion
    Where kinky hair goes to unthought of dimensions
    Why's it so fly, 'cause hip-hop kept some drama
    When Butterfly brought the lightning suede boomers
    What by the cut we push it off the corner
    How is the buzz into our hip-hop era
    Was fresh in fact since they started saying outtie
    Cuts froms may fact from right beneath my hoodie
    The poobah of the styles like Miles and shit
    Like 60's funky worms with waves and perms
    Just sendin' junky rhythms right down your block
    We be to rap what key be to lock

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I'm with you.

-e

Guys, at least half the discussions we have on SoulStrut could be characterized as "over-analysis"; let's not get all huffy just because the "over-analysis" in this case tends to expose one of your cherished headwraps-n-incense rap releases for the terd that is is. Did you not try to foist an essay on us that, by your own admission, would take a half hour to read? Is that not the very definition of over-analysis?

Well yeah. I wasn't with the "over-analysis" part, just the "I like the way it sounds" part.

I need to step my quotation game up.

-e

• all you dudes are soft and corny.