OFFICIAL WEEKEND FINDS THRAED Dec. 9 - 11, 2005!

Comments

• damn, saturday was a good day for you

Either stores are dropping prices due to the weather or there just aren't as many people out catching these deals due to the weather because I don't usually come up like this. Caught a Nancy Dupree "Ghetto Reality" earlier in the week too for a couple bucks.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    do you know the feeling....came up on my local spot half hour late, hasnt been any goods there lately, but this morning BAAAAM,....unfortunately it wasnt me coppin raers, after a long friday night i missed the crates by 30min, so i watched acouple old recordheads walk away with stacks of heat... the fleamrket man comes up to me and says u have to get up earlier son,... I COULDNT AGREE MORE!!!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Didn't get to do too much digging this week while I was on vacation in Miami and at fantasy fest in Key West. Hit up some spots, but they were loaded with dudes with portables so I knew the pickins would be slim. Plus with my wife and kid kept reminding me that this vacation wasn't all about me. My time was limited.

45's
    Dave & Ansil Collins - double barrel (big tree)
    Rufus Thomas - 60 minute man/preacher & the bear (stax)

lp's
    Gabor Szabo-spellbinder (impulse)
    Blue Note Revisted
    The fabulous funky soul originators are back (soul patrol)
    reissue of some funk tracks I'll never find

that's it...

• low intensity digging but things worked out well. bought nice records off some nice people:

also got a handful of hiphop 12s for self

• last week:

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    mr. tony-

gonna hold tight to the bionic stank and heir to the throne, prince doug?

waiting for the cargo box cuban to appear on the hustlers page.

hope all's well.

peace.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    todays finds:

IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/121105.jpg>

45s:
    Soft Machine - Why are we Sleeping / Joy of a Toy (was hoping for non-lp versions but whatever, i love these songs)
    Spaghetti Head - Big Noise from Winnetka / Funky Axe (funk axe side has "NO" written all over it..haha)
    Marie "Queenie" Lyons - Daddy's House / See and Don't See (why do i keep getting lucky on her releases? first the soul fever lp for $1, now this for $3)
    Melting Pot - As I Lay Dying / Kool and the Gang

not a bad day...

• todays finds:

IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/121105.jpg>

45s:
    Soft Machine - Why are we Sleeping / Joy of a Toy (was hoping for non-lp versions but whatever, i love these songs)
    Spaghetti Head - Big Noise from Winnetka / Funky Axe (funk axe side has "NO" written all over it..haha)
    Melting Pot - As I Lay Dying / Kool and the Gang

That??s some quality 45s there

• george braith - musart (prestige)

rudolph johnson - spring rain (black jazz)

honey comb - soulful tapestry (hot wax)

charles rouse - two is one (strata-east)

the young ones - is it too late? (prestige)

arthur jones - scorpio (actuel)

bob theile emergency - head start (flying dutchman)

chico hamilton - gongs east (paramount)

la sangre caliente - s/t (gas) anyone heard this one? real nice...

reggie lucas - survival themes (inner city)

if anyone needs that george braith, holler.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Ako, hows the charisma and damnation? and whats the record above charisma?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Ako, hows the charisma and damnation? and whats the record above charisma?

listening to damnation right now, some good rock tracks, one of which was featured on d.castillo's mix he posted a little while ago, i was actually looking for the track, didnt even know this album had it till i got home

...charisma is recommended, sorta funky in parts, and a nice break.

above charisma is an a.b.skhy album with an AMAZING break on it.

• mr. tony-

hope all's well.

peace.

arito, el disco cubano se queda aqui. pero se cambio idea, te llamo, hermano.

i gotta hold that reggae fiya close to the stereo too = medicina

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Slow Sunday

Title of this next Christian LP is "Totally Psyched"...The Pastor musta told them the original title "Totally Shit" wouldn't fly.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    What's this about a crate of cuban?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Here's some stuff from today & yesterday, mostly upgrades that I couldn't pass up for 50c a pop from the same thrift store, even if I just give 'em away to friends it's all good. The Breakbeatraer & Willie Mitchell were my record store "finds" yesterday, that Willie Mitchell is rad both sides. I don't know what the hell Seventh Wave is but it looked kinda interesting. The Simple Image is local NZ 60s Pop/Psych-Lite, it's a double. Also got a new laptop today, so I am finally back online after nearly a week.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Two more 12"s crossed off of the list:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Here are some of the hightlights of this weekend.

• Image hosted by Photobucket.com also-Ralfi Pagan-OG pressing on Fania and some funk 45s (common)

• Options
    mr. tony-

hope all's well.

peace.

arito, el disco cubano se queda aqui. pero se cambio idea, te llamo, hermano.

i gotta hold that reggae fiya close to the stereo too = medicina

Sunshine Dub is where it's at, T!

Who likes jazz guitar - here's Ernest Ranglin and JAckie Mittoo jammin out all inna funky reggae R&B style. None of the reggae academics seem to know anything about this. Had some elder Jamaican ladies groovin' to the portable on the bus. "Boss tune, son"

How about one of the best female vocal ska tracks ever (second copy)

Johnnie Osbourne Murderer

Twas a good day, Kevin.

• Options

Got this Beany and Cecil record player, still works too- not like I'm gonna be ruining my records with it though.

Jeff Moore- the youngest son is a limited reish of 300. I figure I'll never find an OG for under a 1000 bucks. Great canadian folk/psych.

The lp with the stamp on it looks like a boot of some sort, I have no idea who the group is as I haven't had time to listen to it yet.

And a Fugi "mary don't take me on no bad trip" 45 on cadet.

Now I gotta "find" some xmas presents for some other people.

That Jeff Moore is basically a Bayview high school record. Had it twice and sold them - could of bought a car, but won't ever.

K.

• Is this any good?:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I sense a faux rills v. rey battle with special guest star *ndr*w taking over for D*n**l

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hit montreal this weekend, came home happy with everything from disco to chanson... details later, currently listening to a french version of "keep on runnin'"...

• Options
    Is this any good?:

There's a deep funky version of "Also Sprach Zaruthstra" and a cover - think it's "Killing Me SOftly" on there of note. Not as good as their first.

Mos tof the other tunez are calypso/traditionally based.

K in Canada.

P.S. THere is no latin chunes on that BTW...the group is the St Vincent LAtinaires.

• Is this any good?:

There's a deep funky version of "Also Sprach Zaruthstra" and a cover - think it's "Killing Me SOftly" on there of note. Not as good as their first.

Mos tof the other tunez are calypso/traditionally based.

K in Canada.

P.S. THere is no latin chunes on that BTW...the group is the St Vincent LAtinaires.

Too late

• YO[/b], i didn't even sign up for secret santa, but Morocco Mole just sent me a Jack McDuff, on the strength!!! Moon Rappin!!! he knew i needed that shit!! damn man, strutters be on the look out for cats. Jeremole is a stand up dude, gotta say much appreciation and respect!! true meaning of chirstmas like what!! i can't say thanks enough, but Thanks cchhommie!!! dude's got karma for dayz!!

store digs:

Hampton Hawes- High in the Sky (Vault) this is in depth man.

Ghetto Boys- Be Down 12 (rapalot) anyone lookin for this?

Mongo- at the Village Gate (Riverside)

Anthony Davis- of Blues and Dreams (sackville)

Edwin Starr- 25 Miles (Gordy)

Norman Connors- Saturday Night Special (Buddah)

Walt Harper- live at the attic (birmingham)

if anyone needs that george braith, holler.

hellor, i could use this

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Just one thing. OG liek wut.

What an amazing LP from start to finish. So good.

• $0.99 VG to VG+ og liquid liquid...no sleeve but still...miracles happen in the east village!

'tis the season for james brown! this one is going on my latest xmas mix...finishing it today.

nice funk/boogie 12" i'd never seen before.

killer boogie 12"...an early posse release.

here's a few from my san francisco trip over thanksgiving...

nice mid-70s Enrique Lynch lp with a couple killer latin disco-funk covers of Bee-Gee's "you should be dancin" and Peter Brown "dance with me" ("gotta keep on makin' me high!") and a cover of Perez Prado "mambo no. 5".

"Era Psicodelica del Go Go" "Artistas Varios" lp on Orfeon. Killer latin psyche/garage lp featuring covers of "jumpin jack flash" "grazing in the grass" "black is black"...some Lalo Shifrin track...whole lp is dope. San Fran is full of south american records...every now and then some of them are dope like this and the enrique lynch.

Hare Krishna hippie commune psyche/folk private press out of San Enselmo, Cali with a couple nice funky tracks and some breaks.

one of the last funky enoch's i needed...i pass it for $15-20 all the time but finally found a thrift copy. thanks mission thrift! i wish your records weren't all priced at $2.99 but you are a mighty fine thrift store.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

killer boogie 12"...an early posse release.

Hmmm...I found this years ago and was disappointed with it. I've revisited a few times, and it's fine and all, it just seems kinda average given the amazing lineup of Maurice Starr, Michael Jonzun, and Arthur Baker in 1982. I was expecting some next level shit.