The Chronic v. Doggystyle

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
I say the Chronic eats Doggystyle.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Well, I don't smoke weed anymore so I gotta go with doggystyle, my fave position.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    And if I have to die right now, today, so that headz can see the Chronic slays Doggystyle? Then I'm a dead motherfucker.

Personally, I always liked Snoop better as a guest/partner than as the only rapper on a track.

Put it this way, my favorite track on Doggystyle was a skit. I can't even choose a favorite on the Chronic. Can't even cut it down to top 3.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    chronic in a landslide.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was soooooooooooooooo psyched up to hear the first tune off Doggystyle when it was coming out based on the tracks from the Chronic. Then I saw Snoop running around LA in the video for What's My Name.

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING PISSED![/b] I've grown to appreciate Doggystyle a little bit, but initially felt it was fucking garbage and still to this day don't own it (have sold the LP though).

Let the hatt begin!

T.N.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Doggystyle (4 million sold) > The Chronic (3 million sold).

• man, no fucking contest. Chronic reigns supreme over nearly everybody

CRS ONE

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    man, no fucking contest. Chronic reigns supreme over nearly everybody in my mind garden[/b]

CRS ONEIMMG[/b]

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I was soooooooooooooooo psyched up to hear the first tune off Doggystyle when it was coming out based on the tracks from the Chronic. Then I saw Snoop running around LA in the video for What's My Name.

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING PISSED![/b] I've grown to appreciate Doggystyle a little bit, but initially felt it was fucking garbage and still to this day don't own it (have sold the LP though).

Let the hatt begin!
    T.N.

You were mad cuz you saw Snoop run around LA? I don't get it.

• tie. peace, stein. . .

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    chronic in a landslide.

• I was gutted when I heard Doggy Style for the first time, I was expecting so much after The Chronic. Honestly I thought at the time and still think Doggy Style was wack.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I was soooooooooooooooo psyched up to hear the first tune off Doggystyle when it was coming out based on the tracks from the Chronic. Then I saw the video for What's My Name.

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING PISSED![/b] I've grown to appreciate Doggystyle a little bit, but initially felt it was fucking garbage

and i think i may be one of the few people on the planet who thinks Gin and Juice is a terrible song...i've always hatted that shit....

i can honestly say i only like 3 maybe 4 songs on Doggystyle

The Chronic on the other hand is a musical masterpiece that changed the direction of Hip Hop music and the entire culture of Hip Hop

The Chronic is the most influential album in the history of hip hop ..PERIOD !

• Ed... I thought you would be with me on this... Doggystyle is the shit... it can't top the Chronic... but still... yall are hating on Snoop now? For real? Man, this site. I don't know.

OK, what's my name was cheesy. But there are soooooooo many dope tracks. Compared to some of the rap terds for rap nerds I see on this site, propped up, it's a damn masterpiece...

I'm sleepy as fuck so i'll get to the point.....

Gin And Juice -

Tha Shiznit -

Lodi Dodi -

Murder Was The Case - ...remix is much better

Serial Killa -

Who Am I (What's My Name)? -

For All My Niggaz & Bitches -

Ain't No Fun -

Doggy Dogg World -

Gz And Hustlas -

Gz Up Hoes Down -

Pump Pump -

so i guess i like 4 1/2 songs....

• Serial Killa and The Shiznit are my shit.... I agree with you on the Murder Was THe Case remix but that doesn't make the original LESS good... some revisionist history there ed!

I also think Doggy Dogg World is more than "half a song" good... you are bugging sir

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Man, this site.

• I'd pick The Chronic over Doggystyle, but not in a landslide. I think The Chronic was the more consistent album overall and had a greater number of banging tracks. That said, I think Doggystyle definitely has some heat on it too. I mean, overall there's some stuff on it I think is weak, which is why I pick The Chronic since I don't think there's really an outright bad track on it.

I remember when Doggystyle dropped and I was really excited to pick it up. After listening to it a bit I came to the conclusion that I was disappointed by it. In hindsight now I like it quite a bit, but at the time it couldn't come close to matching my expectations. At the time I remember thinking the album sounded kind of rushed and not nearly as nuanced as The Chronic. It still has a lot of songs I love...and it has a song that I really consider to be one of my favorite rap songs of the 90's in "Ain't No Fun". I still listen to that song today and it brings a big grin to my face.

So...overall I take The Chronic, but I still got love for Doggystyle. I mean, I still like songs like "Gin & Juice", "Tha Shiznit", "G'z And Hustlaz", "Doggy Dogg World"... Oh yeah, and that hush hush secret track at the end of the first pressing of the album with the dope 808 kick that faded in rather than out. If nothing else I like hearing a younger hungrier Snoop. These days I hear most Snoop stuff and it just sounds half-assed compared to his rapping in the old days.

Serial Killa and The Shiznit are my shit.... I agree with you on the Murder Was THe Case remix but that doesn't make the original LESS good... some revisionist history there ed!

I also think Doggy Dogg World is more than "half a song" good... you are bugging sir

yeah...i'm pretty much the only person i know that doesn't like "The Shiznit" ...and "Doggy Dogg World" is a song that i enjoy but its not a song i listened to repeatedly ....

i wouldn't argue with anyone who says "Doggystyle" is a good album..... it was just a VERY disappointing follow up to "The Chronic" IMO.....

in other words ...an average rap album....but...to each his own

• an average rap album

One Day It Will All Make Sense was an average rap album
    Everything De La Soul has done since Buhloone Mind State were average rap albums
    The Massacre was an average rap album
    The Documentary was...

Doggystyle is way better than that. Can't argue with disappointment but damn... it is a really good album.

if "Doggystyle" is above average "Last Meal" is a classic

hate me now

• if "Doggystyle" is above average "Last Meal" is a classic

hate me now

Last Meal is also a very dope and underrated album.

I say "also" because apparently, Doggystyle is now underrated... wow

• I went off rap for a bit in the early 90s, but the chronic and doggystyle were two records that got me back into it. Both are dope and bonafied classics so why versus? Not trying to sound like a moron, but I guess it's different if you heard them in the context of the time they came out, rather than by downloading them off a torrent ten years after the fact.

• I say the Chronic eats Doggystyle.

Not by a landslide, though. Doggystyle had some incredible stuff, mane. Of course Gin And Juice, but Doggy Dog World, the joint with the Haboglabatribinaimin sample, Gz and Hustlas, etc... MAN. That schitt had me rethinking all my views on what was really the "real schitt" and what wasn't (I came back to my senses, though). Both albums are great music, but The Chronic to me changed the whole world.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You were mad cuz you saw Snoop run around LA? I don't get it.

That shit was a cornball song and a "MTV making the video" made video. Mad weak. I didn't need or expect him to re-create Nuthin But A G Thang video or anything, just not have a corny 1st single matched with a corny video.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I know the Chronic is a better album overall, but I pick Doggystyle.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    We all know the Chronic is the daddy from which Doggystyle was

• The Chronic was pretty mind-blowing when it came out, but Doggystyle was a perfection of the style. Doggystyle wins.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The Chronic.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I give it to doggystyle

the chronic was aiight.. definatly some bangign shit to roll too and chill with the homies...but when there were ladies in the room Doggystyle was the one that always got put on to get the party jumpin.

personally i think DS sounds better too.. just incredible production.. and shit doggy dog world is my fave joint on the whole thing (after aint no fun of course)...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I give it to doggystyle

.but when there were ladies in the room Doggystyle was the one that always got put on to get the party jumpin.

Especially "Aint no fun"

dirty girls