What underground hip-hop is worth the time?

Comments

• Question to those that already have it, is he sampling Johnny Cash vox on the "sanctuary" track? if so what track is that?

ez

I always assumed it was Jim Morrison... great track from a great album...

"I'm not Doom's brother, but i'll rock ya subwoofer...that's why they call me Count BASS"

• Aw fuck it, i'll chime in...

Hey Planet... Funnily enough I have every single record you posted up. It's exactly what our magazine covers & it's exactly the same music that most on the Strut seem to diss, call 'emo' rap (fucking retarded & disparaging stupid term conveniently aimed at music they can't be bothered listening to & used by ignoramuses so they can feel superior... ..whatever.), backpacker, throwback...etc...

We get sent so much stuff & of course not all of it is fantastic. So what?
    We focus on the stuff that is quality. Whats with all the bullshit. And marketing isn't that hard nowadays. You find the right people online, notify them. They'll respond if they like it. If they don't, keep on trying.

Did Brazilian music fall off in the mid-70s???
    Do you think with the amount of music coming out of Jamaica these days that all of it is good. No, of course not. They might not be selling 10,000 copies of each 45. Doesn't mean they should stop making music. The cream will always rise. It's wether one can be arsed to go look for it or wait for it to fall out of the sky onto your skull.

eg: It's piss easy to go to CDBaby & listen to sound clips to see what is good.
    If you're not interested in what's happening now, then shut the fuck up & get on with your life. Have an opinion based on something tangible, not on speculation.

Ideas cost nothing. Sound quality does.
    I'd rather ideas first. It doesn't matter how much you gloss shit up & paint it gold, it's still shit.

The irony is thet major labels & the media hated on hip hop back in the day. Yet they are now the ones in control of its image & some people now seem to think they are the barometers of taste.

For every Ultras 'Critical Beatdown' or 'Tribes 'Low End Theory' there was a Party Posse 'It's Party Time' or a Freeze Factor 'Lay back & Chill'. No different back then as is today.

So people have home studios. Excellent. The good stuff will always filter through in part mostly by those who are interested in it & who will then champion it. People like Planet, King Most (Young Phonics). Magazines like Mugshot, Black Smoke, Elemental. But like anything, we all have our own ideas of what is good. Though some is glaringly obviously bad.
    Personally Anticon nowadays & anything by El-P does nothing for me. That doesn't mean I think all "underground" hip hop sucks... What a stupid train of thought that would be. As if a few people could represent a whole.

IP

STEALTH MAGAZINE[/b]

Oh & I can't help it if Dipset do nothing for me... Maybe purple just isn't my colour.

And the first hip hop record I bought was in 1983. "King Kut" - Word of Mouth... so been listening for quite a while now. I'm not some iPod wearing/mp3 collecting kid who memorises Doom lyrics. And I'm not a 'Romantacist' either... Ha ha!
    Just someone who has kept up to date...

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Aw fuck it, i'll chime in...

Hey Planet... Funnily enough I have every single record you posted up. It's exactly what our magazine covers & it's exactly the same music that most on the Strut seem to diss, call 'emo' rap (fucking retarded & disparaging stupid term conveniently aimed at music they can't be bothered listening to & used by ignoramuses so they can feel superior... ..whatever.), backpacker, throwback...etc...

We get sent so much stuff & of course not all of it is fantastic. So what?
    We focus on the stuff that is quality. Whats with all the bullshit. And marketing isn't that hard nowadays. You find the right people online, notify them. They'll respond if they like it. If they don't, keep on trying.

Did Brazilian music fall off in the mid-70s???
    Do you think with the amount of music coming out of Jamaica these days that all of it is good. No, of course not. They might not be selling 10,000 copies of each 45. Doesn't mean they should stop making music. The cream will always rise. It's wether one can be arsed to go look for it or wait for it to fall out of the sky onto your skull.

eg: It's piss easy to go to CDBaby & listen to sound clips to see what is good.
    If you're not interested in what's happening now, then shut the fuck up & get on with your life. Have an opinion based on something tangible, not on speculation.

Ideas cost nothing. Sound quality does.
    I'd rather ideas first. It doesn't matter how much you gloss shit up & paint it gold, it's still shit.

The irony is thet major labels & the media hated on hip hop back in the day. Yet they are now the ones in control of its image & some people now seem to think they are the barometers of taste.

For every Ultras 'Critical Beatdown' or 'Tribes 'Low End Theory' there was a Party Posse 'It's Party Time' or a Freeze Factor 'Lay back & Chill'. No different back then as is today.

So people have home studios. Excellent. The good stuff will always filter through in part mostly by those who are interested in it & who will then champion it. People like Planet, King Most (Young Phonics). Magazines like Mugshot, Black Smoke, Elemental. But like anything, we all have our own ideas of what is good. Though some is glaringly obviously bad.
    Personally Anticon nowadays & anything by El-P does nothing for me. That doesn't mean I think all "underground" hip hop sucks... What a stupid train of thought that would be. As if a few people could represent a whole.

IP

STEALTH MAGAZINE[/b]

Oh & I can't help it if Dipset do nothing for me... Maybe purple just isn't my colour.

And the first hip hop record I bought was in 1983. "King Kut" - Word of Mouth... so been listening for quite a while now. I'm not some iPod wearing/mp3 collecting kid who memorises Doom lyrics. And I'm not a 'Romantacist' either... Ha ha!
    Just someone who has kept up to date...

Yo you got another copy of that Muneshine 12"? I find it weird that people who claim to be Hiphop fans tell me that there is no good Hiphop out ther. I heare it all the time, but play some of these records out or in friends cars and they or some random person will ask me,"Who is that!? Why aren't people exploring new music especially DJs is really beyond me. I'm searching on a daily for new stuff, online, record stores, anywhere that sells music just to have something I can listyen to. So if you're fans of Hiphop, why aren't you guys doing the same??

• ^^ No extra's of Muneshine 12". Try Japan.. Ha!

I'm with you Planet... Not many on here are. You get out what you put in. Digging wise.
    It's just how into it you are.

This one I just picked up. Filth. Haysoos is a sick emcee. And Soulstice has some top stuff out there.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    ^^ No extra's of Muneshine 12". Try Japan.. Ha!

I'm with you Planet... Not many on here are. You get out what you put in. Digging wise.

This one I just picked up. Filth. Haysoos is a sick emcee. And Soulstice has some top stuff out there.

Yeah Japan is sold out of that Munshine so i have one but would like another one. Not a big deal though. I'll check that one out. Lyrics and beat have to grab me though.

• ^^ No extra's of Muneshine 12". Try Japan.. Ha!

Yeah Japan is sold out of that Munshine so i have one but would like another one. Not a big deal though. I'll check that one out. Lyrics and beat have to grab me though.

What you mean the Skam 2 cover isn't enough? You want beats & lyrics, c'mon...!!! That's crazy talk...
    Haysoos is gifted. Metaphors with content for days. It's produced by the talented German kid Shuko.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    ^^ No extra's of Muneshine 12". Try Japan.. Ha!

What you mean the Skam 2 cover isn't enough? You want beats & lyrics, c'mon...!!! That's crazy talk...
    Haysoos is gifted. Metaphors with content for days. It's produced by the talented German kid Shuko.

Haha na I'm just real picky about vocals. The MC's have to be saying more than my rhymes are like this and like that.

• Take for example Bad Seed, and his album Dirty Urine[/b].

Bad Seed

"For the Kids" = ridiculously obvious ripoff of "Hard Knock Life"

Could have at least found a different RECORD to sample showtunes rrom. Unforgiveable.

• blueprint + sev statik are worth to give em a wirl

btw, what happened to finsta & bundy?

• Brooklynite Finsta was on a New Zealand track recently. "NZ to the BK" - DEL RAY SYSTEM.
    Remixed by the English fella Brad Baloo of The Nextmen & Dizzle from the Australian crew Resin Dogs.
    On a Swedish/British/NZ label.
    Ha!

Aaah, don't you love the world...

• Take for example Bad Seed, and his album Dirty Urine[/b].

Bad Seed

"For the Kids" = ridiculously obvious ripoff of "Hard Knock Life"

Could have at least found a different RECORD to sample showtunes rrom. Unforgiveable.

Might be, but when has that not been a issue for a lot of music in the last ten years? The need for familiarity is at an all time high. Gwen Stefani knows.

• by the way this thread is pathetic

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    You gotta also understand that most people are sheep anyway and media also plays a huge role in the sound of Hiphop. You got a lot of magazines that employ a bunch of young college wanna be hipsters who tend to give way too much praise to emo and give emo rappers while the one's making quality Hiphop are thrust into the background.

why does the "underground rap sucks" discussion always become a media critique? most rap is boring, underground or otherwise.

• I'm with you Planet... Not many on here are.

Man, you should know better than that homie. Where were you dudes when we posted up the free indie mix? Nobody was dissing that. It's all about how you come across, and being condescending and preachy isn't the way to 'spread the word'.

PS: Why buy hip-hop 12"s just for label scans, blogging and bedroom play? 12" singles are made to DJ out in the world with. I see a lot a lot of label scans up from DJ's and not many dope mixes. Back to the lab?

Planet: when's the last time an explorative 'digging' DJ such as yourself rocked a decent sized crowd for 2 hours? Just curious. Your criticism of DJ's, etc (i mean even Davey D isn't doing enough for hip-hop in your opinion) seems rather unfounded.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    absent from the 'best one word insult' thread: backpacker

---

• did anyone mention OneBeLo?

http://www.onebelo.com/

between that and Edan, are the only two hip-hop artist (MCs) that I have gotten something out of this year. I should check out some of those others you guys mentioned.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What I find interesting in this discussion is the fact that I expected at least a few people to come up with an impassioned defense of underground hip-hop (remember that free jazz sucks thread from a while back?) but really, everyone is basically on some varying-degrees-of "yeah, a lot of it does suck but not all of it".

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

PS: Why buy hip-hop 12"s just for label scans, blogging and bedroom play? 12" singles are made to DJ out in the world with. I see a lot a lot of label scans up from DJ's and not many dope mixes. Back to the lab?

Planet: when's the last time an explorative 'digging' DJ such as yourself rocked a decent sized crowd for 2 hours? Just curious. Your criticism of DJ's, etc (i mean even Davey D isn't doing enough for hip-hop in your opinion) seems rather unfounded.

I buy Hiphop 12" singles first and foremost to listen to, make mixtapes if I feel like it, DJ on the radio, not for bragging rights. Never that, or I'd snatch up anything and everything under the sun. I was simply responding to O-Dub's question by posting examples of what I think are good records. How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Those drums are fucking KNOCKING.

• I buy Hiphop 12" singles first and foremost to listen to, make mixtapes if I feel like it, DJ on the radio, not for bragging rights. Never that, or I'd snatch up anything and everything under the sun. I was simply responding to O-Dub's question by posting examples of what I think are good records.

I was actually responding to:

Why aren't people exploring new music especially DJs is really beyond me. I'm searching on a daily for new stuff, online, record stores, anywhere that sells music just to have something I can listyen to. So if you're fans of Hiphop, why aren't you guys doing the same??

How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

with all due respect, all of these assumptions are completely unfounded.

• UHHH VIRGEN! WHY DINT YOU COME AT HIM HOARD THOUGH??? PLANET BEST TO RETRASPECT SOMETHING, FOR REAL

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What I find interesting in this discussion is the fact that I expected at least a few people to come up with an impassioned defense of underground hip-hop (remember that free jazz sucks thread from a while back?) but really, everyone is basically on some varying-degrees-of "yeah, a lot of it does suck but not all of it".

thats because basicly most of it DOES suck, but not neccesarily ALL of it.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

What you can't answer my questions peaceful?

• How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

From what I remember, this dude put out a WHOLE cd devoted to underground Bay Area music... seems like he's doing alot more than your gay ass to seek out and break new artists.

• How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

why should I?

You haven't answered mine, plus you have mislead folks around here about people you supposedly "know"...that is unless Planet is an alias for someone who is actively doing something besides starting another hip-hop blog. And if that is indeed the case...

anyways just for shits...

a) constantly
    b) i hardly get any free shit, so mostly I purchase records I like
    C)pretty much every time I dj I play both kinds of hip-hop:

country and western

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

From what I remember, this dude put out a WHOLE cd devoted to underground Bay Area music... seems like he's doing alot more than your gay ass to seek out and break new artists.
    Well I guess you win

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well I guess you win

I won your jockstrap? Cool, now I have a place to keep a grain of rice or two.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Well I guess you win

Congratulations, you're the man.

Well I guess you win

Congratulations, you're the man.
    Out of curiosity. Do you rap or produce this undeground music? You have a lot of passion for it hommie. Judging by the stuff you recommended, you seem big into "jazzy" rap as some call it.