What underground hip-hop is worth the time?

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I dabble a little bit with production. Don't rap at all.

• How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

with all due respect, all of these assumptions are completely unfounded.

What you can't answer my questions peaceful?

From what I remember, this dude put out a WHOLE cd devoted to underground Bay Area music... seems like he's doing alot more than your gay ass to seek out and break new artists.

Well I guess you win

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I won your jockstrap? Cool, now I have a place to keep a grain of rice or two.

Congratulations, you're the man.
    It's true! I am!

• How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

From what I remember, this dude put out a WHOLE cd devoted to underground Bay Area music... seems like he's doing alot more than your gay ass to seek out and break new artists.

Well I guess you win

It's true! I am!

BRING ME BROWNIES!!!!! AQHHAHAHHRHASHSDHAHAHAHAHA

Well I guess you win

It's true! I am!

We're getting on the train soon with your brownies fuckardtdttdt...oh and Planet, baby, I done did more this year to put on new artists and expose new music than you will in a thousand lifetimes buddy boy. So, answer MY question:

What have YOU done to put on new artists? I mean some little blog and a show on college gay-dio don't really count, do they? That's preaching to the converted, or maybe to the retarded....

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    How often do you seek out new artists and records Peacful? Do you buy or do you get everything for free? How often do you as a DJ try to break records like these at the club? I doubt very often.

Well I guess you win

It's true! I am!

We're getting on the train soon with your brownies fuckardtdttdt...oh and Planet, baby, I done did more this year to put on new artists and expose new music than you will in a thousand lifetimes buddy boy. So, answer MY question:

What have YOU done to put on new artists? I mean some little blog and a show on college gay-dio don't really count, do they? That's preaching to the converted, or maybe to the retarded....
    Well good tell us about it.

Well I guess you win

It's true! I am!

Well good tell us about it. answer my question son...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    hahahaha!!! man, this thread is comedy.

make me wanna holler

"fuck around...and get yo' Jansport pass revoked..."

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah thanks for waisting our time drbrown.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    planet plaese to post resume (and salary requirements)

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    planet plaese to post resume (and salary requirements)

Yeah really.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

if you only knew, dude.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

if you only knew, dude.

Hey I'm giving him a chance to tell me who he is.

• Yeah thanks for waisting our time drbrown.

Answer my question already you little homo....

Just so you hear me loud and clear, I done more this year to put on artists and expose new music than you EVER will... I got an underground hero like Jean Grae signed to Warner Bros., took an unknown MC who doesn't even rap in English and got him signed to Startrak, put out a videogame soundtrack that takes underground emcees from your "own" town (even though I got stupid super-duty more props in your "own" town than you) and put them on next to the like of Clipse and BG and other famous rap douds, oh wait...I also got a Bay Area entrepeneur a label deal through Koch which will allow artists from your own town to get national radio and video exposure, got huge publishing deals for some cats who are probably among your favorite producers, and generally oversaw the careers of dudes like Jake One and Streetrunner, Scram Jones, Nottz, Chaos and Order, etcc. who have gone from doing indie records to making some of the best-reviewed shit for 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Busta, and Juelz Santana...not that I need to continue, but I also have overseen all of the signings to the new Rawkus records...incluing signing a group whose 12" you displayed in this thread (so I guess even if you ignore ALL the other shit I did this year, I STILL did more to put on underground artists than you).... Edit, I forgot some shit too: I also got Turf Talk and Keak da Sneak in Rolling Stone...they aren't even my clients, I just believe in doing what you say, rather than what you (don't) do.

NOW, toy, answer my question: you criticize other people for not doing enough to put on new/indie artists, but what have YOU done? Those who live in glass backpacks should not Stones-Throw....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well hey I guess you're are the man then with a nice house on the hill. So are you doing all this for Hiphop artists or for your resume?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    wow

i'm gonna go buy a dvd player and look for some records

play nice

• Well hey I guess you're are the man then with a nice house on the hill. So are you doing all this for Hiphop artists or for your resume?

WHAT...DO...YOU...DO? (Besides posting label scans of indy 12"s on blogspot) I do what I do (which is not halff of what I have done in the past) because I love music and I love working with artists. The fact that I probably made your entire year's salary in the last month is merely the icing on the watch, you dig? Ask Jake if I'm just in this for my resume. Ask all the underground artists I've done discount legal work for. Oh, but don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of the fact that I make money off this shit. Isn't that how God planned it, Planet?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Answer my question already you little homo....

Just so you hear me loud and clear, I done more this year to put on artists and expose new music than you EVER will... I got an underground hero like Jean Grae signed to Warner Bros., took an unknown MC who doesn't even rap in English and got him signed to Startrak, put out a videogame soundtrack that takes underground emcees from your "own" town (even though I got stupid super-duty more props in your "own" town than you) and put them on next to the like of Clipse and BG and other famous rap douds, oh wait...I also got a Bay Area entrepeneur a label deal through Koch which will allow artists from your own town to get national radio and video exposure, got huge publishing deals for some cats who are probably among your favorite producers, and generally oversaw the careers of dudes like Jake One and Streetrunner, Scram Jones, Nottz, Chaos and Order, etcc. who have gone from doing indie records to making some of the best-reviewed shit for 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Busta, and Juelz Santana...not that I need to continue, but I also have overseen all of the signings to the new Rawkus records...incluing signing a group whose 12" you displayed in this thread (so I guess even if you ignore ALL the other shit I did this year, I STILL did more to put on underground artists than you).... Edit, I forgot some shit too: I also got Turf Talk and Keak da Sneak in Rolling Stone...they aren't even my clients, I just believe in doing what you say, rather than what you (don't) do.

NOW, toy, answer my question: you criticize other people for not doing enough to put on new/indie artists, but what have YOU done? Those who live in glass backpacks should not Stones-Throw....

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well hey I guess you're are the man then with a nice house on the hill. So are you doing all this for Hiphop artists or for your resume?

WHAT...DO...YOU...DO? (Besides posting label scans of indy 12"s on blogspot) I do what I do (which is not halff of what I have done in the past) because I love music and I love working with artists. The fact that I probably made your entire year's salary in the last month is merely the icing on the watch, you dig? Ask Jake if I'm just in this for my resume. Ask all the underground artists I've done discount legal work for. Oh, but don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of the fact that I make money off this shit. Isn't that how God planned it, Planet?

Hey like I said you're the man. You're special.

• Well hey I guess you're are the man then with a nice house on the hill. So are you doing all this for Hiphop artists or for your resume?

You not answering my question = the answer is "I don't do shit to expose new music to the world, I just sit on the internet with all the other fuckfaces and bitch and moan". See you later, I gotta eat some pot brownies an go to the steakhouse.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

You not answering my question = the answer is "I don't do shit to expose new music to the world, I just sit on the internet with all the other fuckfaces and bitch and moan". See you later, I gotta eat some pot brownies an go to the steakhouse.

Hey you got me beat. You're the Hiphop king and all I do is expose records to people who want to hear them. Have fun jockin yourself.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Planet-

Go ahead and

You've forever cemented your clown status on the 'Strut

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    bump

so planet can post his resume and salary already.

what rappers have YOU helped?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    why must you instigate,he's a fellow blogger just like yourself.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    yeah but he's not real if he's never fixed turf talk's plumbing or trimmed the old guy from arrested development's beard. i once freed j-live from a bear trap and got kool keith on the cover boys life. and i can't even read! I do these things because i love music. ask apache, tame one, rally ral, scott lark, treach, smooth b or shabaaz the disciple how i got them more lucrative health insurance plans. ask cold 187 um how i reunited him with his birth parents. don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of the fact that I make money off this shit. It's god's plan! I am but a pawn in a cosmic game of chess. Which reminds me, I also brokered the deal on Rza's solid gold car. I did all that in 10 minutes.

so, once again TOY: WHAT...DO...YOU...DO?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    yeah but he's not real if he's never fixed turf talk's plumbing or trimmed the old guy from arrested development's beard. i once freed j-live from a bear trap and got kool keith on the cover boys life. and i can't even read! I do these things because i love music. ask apache, tame one, rally ral, scott lark, treach, smooth b or shabaaz the disciple how i got them more lucrative health insurance plans. ask cold 187 um how i reunited him with his birth parents. don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of the fact that I make money off this shit. It's god's plan! I am but a pawn in a cosmic game of chess. Which reminds me, I also brokered the deal on Rza's solid gold car. I did all that in 10 minutes.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I really don't know when either 1) I changed or 2) hip-hop changed but 80-90% of what I sifted through doesn't appeal to me. I found so much of it incredibly derivative; it's the same lyrical themes, the same flows, the same production styles being recycled ad nauseum. I'm not saying this to shit on the entire indie/underground genre (if one can even call it that) but despite my desire to really want to connect with more of the songs, to say, "yeah, this stuff is good, I wonder why folks sleep?" I just felt despairing with each toss of a new 12" into the sell pile. This includes both new artists and artists I once was into, which only contributes to my sense of disconnection. I mean, sure, I'm disconnected from the streets and now, apparently, I'm disconnected from everywhere else.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I would like to know from those who are still invested in this kind of shit to just run down a few indie hip-hop singles that they think are truly outstanding.

You summed up my feelings these days pretty well man. I really want to like things and still find myself making an attempt to find current hip-hop I'm feeling. I can't help but question if my tastes are changing, if the majority of things coming out lately are stagnant, or if I am just stagnant. I really despise myself wanting to like things and only finding most things luke-warm at best.

• Okay, Donkeys was, as always, on some ol' condescending shit, but NOW I will agree...

this thread is pathetic

And I STILL can't figure out who pissed the farthest.

Herm

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

This is the best post ever.

• I know we have had our beefs or quarrels in the past O Dub, but I have to agree with you on this one. As one who has helped to press and distribute many of the so-called the "classic" indie Hip-Hop of the mid-late 90's underground Hip-Hop, I have to say that I pretty disqusted with much of the underground Hip-Hop now. Honestly, I would say the same for major label shit too, but that's a different topic for another time. Many of the Hip-Hop promos that I get I sell them as fast as I get them. I just not interested in much of the scene I helped breath life into. I have to say that underground Hip-Hop as a whole with a few exceptions is dead and stinkin' to me. I never in a million years thought I would say that about any part of Hip-Hop, but I gotta be straight up.
    As you know I worked for Fat Beats for 8 1/2 years. Along with being the President of Sales I was the Head A/R of the Dist. and later the label. I have done records with mad people and have made many friends in this industry. I got mad stories!!! So it's pretty tough to sit and watch something you help build destroy itself. Everybody is copying Slug, EL-P, or Madlib. There isn't anymore orginal shit. As Jake said, beats sounds mad spacey and shit..just toooo far out for no good rhyme or reason. Same with the lyrics. However, I gotta say there are too many haters out there that aren't supporting shit that is good. Motherfuckers like to complain and bitch about there isn't any good Hip-Hop, but when some does come along it's just straight hate. They won't spend the mponey to support cats that are working hard for this shit. It's like when you go to Europe or Japan they appreciate real shit. I shouldn't be surprised because it's happened to Jazz, Funk, Soul, etc. You name it.
    amir