Hendrix Heads: Favourite Posthumous Release?

CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Damn, there's a bunch of them, and a lot are pretty terrible, but there are some dope sounds on a couple.I'm really digging the "Rainbow Bridge" OST right now. A lot of classic tracks on there, plus that 12-minute live version of "Hear my train..." Sooooo nice.Also the "Experience" OST is cool as hell to me right now. That bugged-out cover of "Sunshine of your Love" is bananas! Anyone have the bootleg of that show, called "Experience" as well, but with a few more tracks on it? It's got a black/white cover with hendrix looking all confused. It's sitting in a store nearby, but I never picked it up for some reason... - J

Comments

• there is a album of rare outakes in some dudes basement (I can't remember the name)

this album was cool

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I guess Rainbow Bridge is my favorite too,

Pali Gep is

and this one:

There a version of bleeding heart on that, that is truly amazing. That might be my favorite Hendrix livetrack ever.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    and this one:

There a version of bleeding heart on that, that is truly amazing. That might be my favorite Hendrix livetrack ever.

That looks dope

I like

This was released just before his death though. Machine gun solo

• Machine Gun is my personal favorite track of all time. But I really like the version of Hey Baby on the Rainbow Bridge ST. Has anyone seen that movie? Crazy Hippies. But theres a nice volcano top concert and a drunken/flipped Jimi interview at the end.

As for full poshumous album:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    That movie sounds interesting...

That hendrix movie posted here a while ago was also the shit

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "war heros" for the track "3 little bears"... someone played me a tape of it in 7th or 8th grade, it was a fav song among kids in my jr. high and i tracked down a vinyl copy at a record convention in 8th grade... see, before the internet if you heard about something from someone and you wanted it, you had to put in a lot of work to find it...

• High, Live, & Dirty on Nutmeg, featuring the smash hit single "Fuck Her In The Ass."

(Also known as "F.H.I.T.A." or "Morrison's Lament." This was actually an American release of the infamous live jam session with Hendrix, a drunk-off-his-ass Jim Morrison, and I forget who else. Hendrix is the only famous musician mentioned on the Nutmeg release, which was on colored vinyl.)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There's this track called Gangster of Love which is hot HOT! Appears on two budget label LPs. This was from the mid-60s probably when Hendrix was a sideman.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Damn that Band of Gypsys cover is crazy! Who are the other guys on there. asnd where are Miles and Cox?

UK press of BOG on Track. Turns up just as often as the US press here. Cover doesn't seem to have anything to do with the music. Brit heads will probably have more info on this.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    High, Live, & Dirty on Nutmeg, featuring the smash hit single "Fuck Her In The Ass."

(Also known as "F.H.I.T.A." or "Morrison's Lament." This was actually an American release of the infamous live jam session with Hendrix, a drunk-off-his-ass Jim Morrison, and I forget who else. Hendrix is the only famous musician mentioned on the Nutmeg release, which was on colored vinyl.)

The other musician is Johnny Winter

My fave post-Death LP is Crash Landing

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the peeps on the cover of the trax BOG are Brian Jones, Marc Bolan and John Peel

why?? who knows.

Marc Bolan
    or dylan. hard to tell from the puppet.

• who knows.

haha.

I think its Dylan.

Was it also released with this cover on polydor?

• Machine Gun is my personal favorite track of all time. But I really like the version of Hey Baby on the Rainbow Bridge ST. Has anyone seen that movie? Crazy Hippies. But theres a nice volcano top concert and a drunken/flipped Jimi interview at the end.

As for full poshumous album:

i love this record!

• Has anyone seen that movie? Crazy Hippies.
    0 out of 2 people found the following comment useful:-
    Hippie nonsense, 23 April 2002
    1/10
    Author: NORDIC-2 from Barre, VT

The Jimi Hendrix soundtrack is superb but Chuck Wein's film is an embarrassing relic of the Sixties counterculture at its most self-indulgent and absurd. Hendrix is in the film briefly but most of it records the Aquarian Age musings of stoned out hippies who try to sound wise but have no earthly idea what they are talking about. Silly, dismal, and a blight on Hendrix's memory.
    END REVIEW IMDB

I watched it stoned and found it hilarious as I live in the hippie center of Australia and have met many heads who still rave on like caracters from Rainbow Bridge. Good source for spoken word samples as well

Has anyone seen that movie? Crazy Hippies.
    0 out of 2 people found the following comment useful:-

Hippie nonsense, 23 April 2002
    1/10
    Author: NORDIC-2 from Barre, VT

The Jimi Hendrix soundtrack is superb but Chuck Wein's film is an embarrassing relic of the Sixties counterculture at its most self-indulgent and absurd. Hendrix is in the film briefly but most of it records the Aquarian Age musings of stoned out hippies who try to sound wise but have no earthly idea what they are talking about. Silly, dismal, and a blight on Hendrix's memory.
    END REVIEW IMDB

I watched it stoned and found it hilarious as I live in the hippie center of Australia and have met many heads who still rave on like caracters from Rainbow Bridge. Good source for spoken word samples as well

The movie is impossible to watch. Its sucks ass.

But the one scene with Hendrix is entertaining. Just because its Hendrix.
    I will digitize it and post it. Eventually.

• THESE 2 ARE

• While some of the Alan Douglas-productions on Reprise were alright, I try to avoid them.

I also avoid the bullshit albums when MCA got the catalog. You don't fuck up the original album covers, dumb asses.

I do like what Jamie Hendrix has been able to do on the music side, with the release of live shows and BBC sessions. With that said, I have to check out the recent Woodstock DVD, which expands on the original DVD release, and has remastered sound from Eddie Kramer, who was one of the people at the festival recording everyone.

On that note, I like:

This was released by Rykodisc and the transfers of the BBC sessions is a lot closer to the original tapes than the one on this:

Although this one is 2CD, which means a hell of a lot more music than the Ryko 1CD set.

This was also great as well:

One of the last projects released by Reprise before the Hendrix catalog transferred over to MCA, it's a 4CD box set featuring a live set from each year of his career between 1967-1970. One of the few things from the Douglas days that I liked.

On the unofficial side, there's the great 6CD box set Astro Man[/b], with loads of outtakes, alternate mixes, monitor mixes, false starts, etc. Quality is mixed, but worth a listen.

There's also a CD or released by Noel Redding, featuring various tapes from his archives:

Track listing is here:
    http://www.authentichendrix.com/pgi-Product Spec?284-001-001

• I also avoid the bullshit albums when MCA got the catalog. You don't fuck up the original album covers, dumb asses.

IIRC, MCA knew they'd catch hell for doing that, so they printed the original cover on the other side of the flap so all the purists had to do was turn it around.

And why did they go to the trouble of issuing new covers in the first place?

Apparently, it was because they thought younger CD buyers wouldn't take a chance if it had the original Reprise artwork, so some genius thought they'd update them. (Is that a bullshit alarm I hear going off?)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    amazed no one has mentioned "cry of love"

• amazed no one has mentioned "cry of love"

with "Live at Winterland", this is my favorite legit/legal posthumous Hendrix release. The bootleg shit has killer fuckin' tracks spread out all over the damn place though...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How iz WAR HEROES? I never heard that LP?

Iz it a comp? Unrealeased? Outakes?

Iz it a necessity?

• BobBob 19 Posts
    War Heroes has some really good tracks and I would recommend it to a Hendrix lover. War Heroes and Cry of Love are comprised of tracks Hendrix recorded in the months leading up to his death, supposedly for his next album. In '97 First Days of the New Rising Sun was released with the help of recording engineer Eddie Kramer made up of Cry of Love plus tracks from War Heroes and Rainbow Bridge. This is supposed to be close to the double album Hendrix wanted to release after Electric Ladlyland. Who knows but I'm glad all this stuff was released anyway.

man we need to migrate some of these over to the real heads section..

my hendrix bootleg / posthumus game is weak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    War Heroes has some really good tracks and I would recommend it to a Hendrix lover. War Heroes and Cry of Love are comprised of tracks Hendrix recorded in the months leading up to his death, supposedly for his next album. In '97 First Days of the New Rising Sun was released with the help of recording engineer Eddie Kramer made up of Cry of Love plus tracks from War Heroes and Rainbow Bridge. This is supposed to be close to the double album Hendrix wanted to release after Electric Ladlyland. Who knows but I'm glad all this stuff was released anyway.
    Co-sign.This iz a great package.

Another Question?

Do I need to own this..........

I have the double cd, but I passed on the dvd. Am I missin' anything?
    Whenever I see it in the store, I feel guilty for not owning it.

• BobBob 19 Posts

Another Question?

Do I need to own this..........

I have the double cd, but I passed on the dvd. Am I missin' anything?
    Whenever I see it in the store, I feel guilty for not owning it.

I haven't seen it but it has tracks not on the Band of Gypsys albums apparently, plus interviews so it's bound to be worth it.

• This has a track called "The Stars That Play With Laughing Sams Dice" which is insane. I don't think its on any other comps either.

• does anyone know what the deal is with war heroes issues? I have a '72 warner/reprise but that pic up there is a polydor. Are the warner/reprise reissues or something?

polydor, i believe, was hendrix' UK label. warner/reprise, at the time, had the US rights to his records. the album you were lookin' at up there was a UK pressing.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

This has a track called "The Stars That Play With Laughing Sams Dice" which is insane. I don't think its on any other comps either.

"STP/LSD" was the B-side to the "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" single. It might not have made an LP until after he died but it's actually one of the earlier Hendrix tracks.

"Cry Of Love" is by far my fave of the posthumous releases, but there's good stuff on the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack and most of the Douglas/Reprise records. And if you like concert stuff look for "Hendrix In The West" too.