Motherfucker stole my records friday night!!!

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I had a crate of records stolen from me Friday night. A supreme crate filled with mostly crate staples (mostly hip-hop and some 80s rock) and some rare disco singles (OG Krivit re-edits and some private reel to reel re-edits). Also some rare go-go 12s and a few LPs. The private disco 12s are super rare. The crate staples and other stuff???I can mostly find again over time for cheap or buy immediately from a shop (for not-cheap).

Friday night after spinning at St Ex, in DC, I was standing outside about 6 feet from my crate after the gig. There were a lot of people leaving the club and loitering around talking about crappy hour parties. My crate was not out of my sight, but because it was so close I was not paying enough attention (obviously). It couldn???t have been more than ten minutes. It was gone. Some bitch motherfucker walked off with my crate practically under my nose.

I was stunned. I stayed up all night pissed off.

The next day I made round to the shops to let people know. I was only in the second shop that I stopped at, when the first shop called me to say someone had just brought in my records to try to sell. I rushed back over, but only about ?? of records were there. The rare disco shit was there (minus my Krivit/Moody 12???). Thankfully.

There were some punk/new wave comps missing and several hip hop 12s: 45 rpm paid in full, some missy elliots, some beasties, a white lines, and some others I can???t remember. They also kept my James Brown ???Jungle Groove??? LP and a Tanzen Hits 72 LP that has a crazy instrumental of Black Sabbath???s ???Paranoid.??? That???s a strange combination to keep from all of what was in there IMO. Whatever, thieves are the most dumbass people on this planet.

So I???m hanging out with store owner and making a list of the ?? that are still missing in case the fucker tries to bring them in too.

And low and behold, he walks back into the store!

The old fatback would have fucking skinned the bitch! But I just looked him in the eyes and said ???Please, my friend, man to man, human to human, I really need my records back.??? He said he didn???t have them and that he didn???t steal them either. He said his girlfriend found them in the metro last night. Whitch is a bullshit story in itself???not to mention that metro was closed before my records were stolen. Fucker.

I wanted to slaughter this motherfucker. I mean I was lusting for the sound of his head splitting the fuck open. But I held back, because I was in someone???s store and all I really wanted was my records back. You know. Fuck man. Fuck.

Well, I got most of them, so I???m pretty lucky after all.

I want to say a BIG THANKS!!! to the shop for looking out for me like that.

I want to say to the dude who took my records--who said he is DJ too of all things:

YOU WILL FUCKING GET YOURS!

(I believe that what comes around goes around.)

Comments

• goddamn dude! that is some crazy shit...glad you got 'em back.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    You're a better man than I cause I think I would have socked him in the face.

• knock the nigguh out!

• You're a better man than I cause I think I would have socked him in the face.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    knock the nigguh out!

Exactly! Some coward asshole stole my headphones once at a gig. A pair of Sony MDR-7506 too! I was pissed. Good thing you got your records back though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Get your rekkids back then you pimpsmack him.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I have too much to loose.

I got my records and, as much I wanted to, I chose to to assault him.

Past experience has proven to me that offensive violence solves nothing.

However, if someone steps in my house or touches my wife they will be shot.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

However, if someone disrespects free-jazz they will be shot.

• You're a better man than I cause I think I would have socked him in the face.

Get your rekkids back then you pimpsmack him.

No! You pimpsmack him until you get your records back!

No for real....i think you did the right thing. When you got your stuff then there's no need to trouble yourself. Just let him know it's the last time he's tried this.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    damn homie, your a bigger man than me for not assulting homeboy who jacked your crate.

i know i would have lost my cool and probably brawled right in the store.

your very lucky (and smart) to get your records back though

• spcspc 534 Posts

This story is one of the reasons I'll never ever take my records out of the house, should I ever start djing again. CDs, laptop, and an emergency bag with comps only.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I have too much to loose.

I got my records and, as much I wanted to, I chose to to assualt him.

Ppast experience has proven to me that offensive violence solves nothing.

However, if someone steps in my house or touches my wife they will be shot.

We already discussed this, and I agree you did the right thing. As meaningless as it may have been, I would have informed him that you had indeed filed a police report and would have made him BEG me not to call the officer that took your report with his name and phone number. Asshole.

Oh, and local chatter would indicate that your situation is not an isolated one, wether it's this creep or others, sounds like crates have been walking away from some other spots too. So DC DJs, pack your stuff and keep a close eye even when you think it's all good. Fuckers are out there.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

This story is one of the reasons I'll never ever take my records out of the house, should I ever start edjing again. CDs, laptop, and an emergency bag with comps.

I guess comps and Bootlegs are good for something after all. Bring a crate of boots and Killer Kuts records and if they get stolen who gives a shit.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    damn man, sorry to hear about all that. good thing you got most of your shit back though. lucky.

you did the right thing too. he wasn't worth it, that scumbag.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

This story is one of the reasons I'll never ever take my records out of the house, should I ever start edjing again. CDs, laptop, and an emergency bag with comps.

I guess comps and Bootlegs are good for something after all. Bring a crate of boots and Killer Kuts records and if they get stolen who gives a shit.

bootlegs and comps and killa kuts all run about $7 to $15 each, a crate holds about 75-100 records so that equals about $750 - 1200 roughly

for that kinda loot...I GIVE A SHIT!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

bootlegs and comps and killa kuts all run about $7 to $15 each, a crate holds about 75-100 records so that equals about $750 - 1200 roughly

for that kinda loot...I GIVE A SHIT!

Well not out here. There is a huge stack of Killer Kuts for less than $4 a piece. and there is also a huge stack of other boot comps like Crate Savers etc in used bins for that range in price 3-5 bucks. And the supply seem sto be plentyful.

• At first i thought you shoulda beat his ass,but chances of gettin stolen wax back can be slim at best,the record gods were smilin on you for sure,to actually catch the dude unloading the shit 'red handed' that kinda ,is .

that f*&%$r will be on the down low for a while.

you done good bro.

• (I believe that what comes around goes around.)

TRUE. Glad you got them back. A friend of mine lost a good bit of his collection in the hurricane in New Orleans. He was staying here in Memphis and I kicked him a bunch of records to get him back on the right track. A few weeks ago he went up to New York to DJ a show with some friends and someone broke into his car and stole all of his clothes, 3 boxes of 45s, and 2 boxes of LPs. Dude was crushed! He thought his world couldn't get much worse. He made a list of what was stolen from him and before he got back to town I was able to locate a good bit of the stuff. Also, another friend of his from NY sent him a box of 45s with some straight heat in it. He is finally back in NO and he said the thrift stores are flooded with records now. He got just about everything back plus some. He might actully be better off than when he started.

• Oh, and local chatter would indicate that your situation is not an isolated one, wether it's this creep or others, sounds like crates have been walking away from some other spots too. So DC DJs, pack your stuff and keep a close eye even when you think it's all good. Fuckers are out there.

Damn C****S. What other spots/djs have had trouble?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Oh, and local chatter would indicate that your situation is not an isolated one, wether it's this creep or others, sounds like crates have been walking away from some other spots too. So DC DJs, pack your stuff and keep a close eye even when you think it's all good. Fuckers are out there.

Didn't get specifics, but I will forward the email NevilleC sent me.

Also, Meistro, ALWAYS watch yer ass around Wonderland at closing, there have been several muggings around that area(no big newsflash). Not so much the records, but it ain't like these clubs cut you a check, if you get my drift.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I want to say a BIG THANKS!!! to the shop for looking out for me like that.
    Unless its , what was the shop?
    I think it deserves some patronage.

glad to hear you got your recs back (and that it wasn't in $mond).

• I was with Fatback when it happened and was hoping the guy would come into my shop the next day. Luckily he did show up at Cap City and Stephanie was on the ball. Props.

• Fuck man, Im glad you got the raer shit back. I've had people try to steal shit from me while I was DJing. Lukcily both time my friends caght the dudes. What is going through their heads? If they're a Dj, thats the worst fucking thing you could possibly do. If they're just some punk, jesus, there are easier ways to make money. And besides, if they liked your set enough to steal the records how fucking pathological is that?! Glad you got those back. Man vigilance is so important.

• This story is one of the reasons I'll never ever take my records out of the house, should I ever start edjing again. CDs, laptop, and an emergency bag with comps.

maybe all dc headz should set traps, if this crate robbing is ongoing. Place all ur favorite traash vinyl in the crate..set it down, watch fools pick it up. "yo i got the ill barbara striesand collection last nite, how much you got ? "

jack me and ill jack you back

• Wow, man. Sorry to hear all that. Glad you got some of it back and props to you for taking the high road. If it were me I wouldn't have let him leave the parking lot without the contents of his wallet. He'd have to beat the fuck out of me. Well not now with a recovering ankle injury, he could run away.

I understand the respect the store thing. Once I got into it with a rival DJ and we were taking it outside. One of the store clerks came out to monitor. We were verbally throwing down and it was a moment from a blow. Then the owner walks by and says hi. To finish the story, rival DJ apologized, and ended the beef. Later the owner laughed it off as politics. I went on to work there as a buyer. Different kinda situation but i was like fuck it. Record store, grocery store, wherever you wanna bring it. Especially if you steal from me. I prefer a peaceful solution any day but sometimes you have no choice..

Fuck a record thief.

• i cant believe you didnt lump him up or take all his money or at least try to cramp his life a little. props to you for that.

• Wow! Good for you for taking the high road. Karma will drop a piano on his head. Glad you got a lot of your stuff back.

• One of these days he'll jack a MAD dude who doesn't give a DAIGN about any road, and then he'll realise a few things, one of which is - regret is a biatch.

Kudos for taking the high road though man, that takes some doing and it was the right decision.

• Good god man, I'm sorry that happened. If you have a list of stuff you need, I'll keep an eye out for it plus watch the usual stores. Bad things seem to happen on 14th St. lately.

• Oh, and local chatter would indicate that your situation is not an isolated one, wether it's this creep or others, sounds like crates have been walking away from some other spots too. So DC DJs, pack your stuff and keep a close eye even when you think it's all good. Fuckers are out there.

Didn't get specifics, but I will forward the email NevilleC sent me.

Also, Meistro, ALWAYS watch yer ass around Wonderland at closing, there have been several muggings around that area(no big newsflash). Not so much the records, but it ain't like these clubs cut you a check, if you get my drift.

Almost every 3rd Sat night upon leaving Wonderland, massive groups of cop cars respond to some incident either just up 11th or just east on Kenyon. I'm not glad (in that there are obviously victim's), but I feel better when I'm making trips alone to my car.