You Know You Have a Digging Problem When..........

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

* you are waiting for the postman to bring you records daily

* you dream about records that don't even exist

i mos def do these 2

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    -The person that delivers your mail always clowns you when she's sees a record mailer, because she know damn well that there's some vinly in there.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    * you own 4 Jandek records

* you're runnin low on a title cuz you only have 6 copies left

• - When store owners feel sorry for you.

- Minutes ago...you are at a record store and random dude brings 123 records. Store owner is checking them out and you spot "Caito", argentinian bossa raer. You keep flipping the whole heavy metal section waiting for the owner to finish. He buys the records cheeeap, like 0.30 pesos each (US$ 0.10). You tell the owner "I could use that Caito". You can clearly see he's ashamed to quote a price after you just saw him buying the record for 0.30 pesos. He goes "10 pesos", feeling sorry for you. You go "OK", and leave the store in silent Titanic Di Caprio mode "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD"

arms wide open and all

Where's the PROBLEM?? This is like a success story.

• Point being

+ You have disco records with Japanese poly sleeves on them

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    you have overdrawn $150 in your bank account to spend all of it on records

Man, I'm guilty of a LOT of things on this list!

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    This happened to me 2 nights ago -

-when your record shelves crumble under the weight and collapse

• When you've read all 4 pages of this threa b/w nod in agreement waaaaaaay too many times.

P.S. Use "b/w" in a sentence.
    The Bizarre

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    you're proud to admit how bad you really got it

• * you set your alarm to bid on a record at 4 in the morning (not me, my friend haha)

eek...

guilty of the above

edit: yes i know about esnipe,.. I still prefer manual snipe though

• RezRez 164 Posts
    This is great stuff - listen up - I got 3 young kids in school and, like once a month, some 'parent' or other steps up and says to me 'your wife tells me you like records? I got some old records at home that my dad left me when he died / were left here by the previous owners of my house / that I bought when I was a student bla bla bla (delete off) - can you come and value them for me?' Like, my main 'personality' trait in the schoolyard is as a geek who lives in a wax mausoleum (spell check) and who's kids must be backwards cos their dad STILL dabbles in recs? One of my oldest kid's friends came by the other day and saw an LP on my turntable, turned to me and said 'Mark, what's that big CD for?'

Rez

• RezRez 164 Posts
    - When store owners feel sorry for you.

- Minutes ago...you are at a record store and random dude brings 123 records. Store owner is checking them out and you spot "Caito", argentinian bossa raer. You keep flipping the whole heavy metal section waiting for the owner to finish. He buys the records cheeeap, like 0.30 pesos each (US$ 0.10). You tell the owner "I could use that Caito". You can clearly see he's ashamed to quote a price after you just saw him buying the record for 0.30 pesos. He goes "10 pesos", feeling sorry for you. You go "OK", and leave the store in silent Titanic Di Caprio mode "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD"

arms wide open and all

I'd have beat him down anyways - pro rekkid-logic every time ''never accept the first price on anything'' - does it every time - in or out??

Rze

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

+ Your best friend is also your top digging rival.

+ You almost always call said friend the moment you leave a spot, to report scores.

+ You call friends from record stores, to see if they have a record, because this dupe is too good a deal to pass over.

+ You leave 8 minute voice mails for people, talking only about records.

+ You start twitching and sweating when someone starts looking ahead of you in whatever genre you are browsing: "section starts at A, pal!"

+ You have "digging rituals," ie always going through the same sections in the same order, always eating at the same spot after the dig, etc.

+ You know the employee schedules of record stores, and use it to your advantage, going when the person that buys high/sells cheap is working.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i got records stacked on my kitchen floor.... is that a bad sign ???

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    You have a paid for lunch at a really nice restaurant and all you can think about is what you're missing on record day at Soulstrut.

DJ Ferrari

• when you are on a date with your girlfriend, you are like "ohh.. I have to go now, have to bid on some record"..

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    -when your record shelves crumble under the weight and collapse

Oof, that's a really bad one. That happened to me about five years ago...I was half asleep, when I heard a big crack and thud from the other room. I instantly snapped awake and walked into the room to see my shelf collapsed and a huge pile of records on the floor (and somehow, most of the raers ended up at the bottom of the pile). Mercifully no records were damaged, but that was some scary shit.

• when you are on a date with your girlfriend, you are like "ohh.. I have to go now, have to bid on some record"..

You ever told your girl that its NOT the time for sex now cuz youre waiting on a phone call and it will only interrupt you but actually you just run to your pc bid real fast and then call some of your homies to have an alibi?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You ever told your girl that its NOT the time for sex now cuz youre waiting on a phone call and it will only interrupt you but actually you just run to your pc bid real fast and then call some of your homies to have an alibi?

Nobody has ever done that. God willing.

• ...You travel to another state(alone)for surgery.You end up digging the day before surgery and are forced to store your records under the gurny during surgery.You wake up and the first thought is "are my records still there?"

I swear this was me like a month ago.Nurses were like wtf is under here?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    - When store owners feel sorry for you.

arms wide open and all

Problem is the "victory feeling" when all you just did is underpay for a record to an old, sad dude....errrrrrrrr, that was a victory, right? WTF, no problem at all, I won, he lost!

• soulstrut makes me feel better. thank you, guys. seems like my problem isnt thaaaaat big

• When someone ressurects an thread from 5 months ago and it feels like running into an old friend.

• this thread is becoming "you know you have a soulstrut problem when......

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this thread is kinda sad. theres not too many things on here im guilty of.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Man, i feel kinda bad for some of yall.

or you rush sex...so you dont miss your bid

or you have a $1000 + gas bill, instead of putting $$ towards that...you drop $ 600 in one week on vinyl
    black crack no doubt

• -when you spend your day in front of the computer going to these four sites

soulstrut

gemm

ebay

popsike

i love the 15 minute one. whenever i'm with non record people and go into a store i always say it'll be 15 minutes. and it never ever has been.

btw how do you put popsike on your firefox browser thing ?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    you find out your furnace needs to be serviced because you have no heat in the house. You have to make an appointment and they are coming out anywhere between 8am to 12...It's pretty bad when I am considering digging instead of having heat.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    + When you have the ability to turn any conversation with any person at any time into one about records (and then DO this, sheerly in the hopes of scoring records from that person or their family)

+ When you see a well-attired African-American in their 50s or 60s and think: "Man, they must have/have had a killer record collection."

+ When you combine the top two, employing a prop like Eddie Kendricks or Curtis Mayfield, because you don't think that older folks would suspect that, from the looks of you, you'd know much about either of them. THEN, you hope that from the sheer shock of this discovery on their part, it will eventually lead to their Complete Strata Collection.

+ While digging, you take tha time to match non-picture single logo sleeves to their respective labels you have at home, actually taking the time to switch out blank sleeves with the minty versions found on other records at the store before leaving with your final purchases.

+ You are ticked off at eBay for the 100-item limit imposed on automatic e-mailed Favorites, which you constantly preen/groom with additions and subtractions like a prized topiary bush.

+ The phrase "just taking up space down in the basement" is as romantic to you as the sweetly cooed words of a lover beckoning you to her gossamer bosom.