How to start a (budget) 45 collection???

SoulificSoulific 103 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
Hi there!I've been collecting lps for like 16 yrs, but now that i turned 30 i feel like expanding my horizons and to explore the world of 45s a little bit. But how to start? My taste developed so much over the years that building up a collection of let??s say northern soul would bore me within a short periode of time. But should I collect all styles I feel? That would be everything related to soul, funk, latin, disco and so on and so on. I think focussing on one genre might be the wrong start for me.How did you guy get into 45s? I bought some over the years. But it??s only a bunch of 50 or something. Should I buy some lot??s. By the way money is a very big issue for me, cause i haven??t got plenty to spend. So mad, mint, superrear, private 45s are nothing i could afford. Especially because I live in Europe, Germany to be precise and 45s are not that common around here. Eventhough we got some mad freaks and serious heads here aswell. As you probably already know.Thanks,Sebastian

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I never bought 45s until this one time when this woman who used to run the record fairs in Sydney invited me over to her place and said she had some stuff she thought I would be interested in. At the time I only had LPs, and this woman only had 45s! I was a little dissappointed at first, but she was charge $5 for anything she had, so I bought maybe 40-50 of them and then wondered if I'd wasted my money on the way home - this was early on in my digging days!

But from there that was really the basis of my collection.

So what am I trying to say? I dunno really, but maybe it's a good idea to buy collections or lots to start you off.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I'm not sure I'd buy collections, unless you're truly willing to listen to any style of music. I'd say go somewhere that has a varied selection of 45s, bring your player, and buy what you like.

• I love 45s

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Go to thrift shops and fleas if you aren't concerned about minty singles. They are cheap and yesterday I just picked up a Dyke and the Blazers 45 that I didn't have for 25 cents. It was a vg+ one and clean--so it wasn't bad.
    the problem with thrifts and fleas is that you might go through a ton of singles and find nothing. but that's part of the enjoyment for me.
    i have thousands of 45s--never paid over 5 bucks on any of them.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    come to chicago, rummage through the 10 cent bins. Buy hundreds of them, take them home, listen. repeat. do this until you learn some shit, then find em clean.

• superrear

i love superrears! fo real though, thrift for 45s until you get enough scratch to start buying some higher priced records. it's fun, and you'll be surprised at what you find.

• collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

equally strange is asking people if he should/what he should listen to.

did anyone have to ask anyone, or did they just do it?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Go to thrift shops and fleas if you aren't concerned about minty singles. They are cheap and yesterday I just picked up a Dyke and the Blazers 45 that I didn't have for 25 cents. It was a vg+ one and clean--so it wasn't bad.

the problem with thrifts and fleas is that you might go through a ton of singles and find nothing. but that's part of the enjoyment for me.

i have thousands of 45s--never paid over 5 bucks on any of them.

The problem is this guy lives in Germany. Now I've never been diggin there but if its anything like the UK then you won't find funk 45's in thrift shops. You may get lucky once in a while and find some soul, but i've never seen a funk 45 outside a proper record shop.

My advise would be look at what you konw already, from your Lp collection. Artists, labels, producers etc. Their maybe album cuts that you might want on 45. Use the old internet to findout if those thracks had a single release, and also check for discographies; artist and label. Chances are that if you like one release, you may like the next artist the label released a single for.

Failing that go to the funk45 site and get on ebay.

• Start with the cheap stuff and learn...[/b]

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    collectiong records for over 16 years and never thought of listening and buying 45s? strange idea...

equally strange is asking people if he should/what he should listen to.

hi there,

i was thinking of taking a shit today, but i have never done that before. just pissed. should i shit today? i have heard about, but i wasnt sure if its something i should do or not. how did you guys first start taking shits?

sorry, i just woke up and am fucking with you. do what meaty said.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There are actually a lot of good 45s that you can get on eBay and set sale places on the internet for $10 and under.

Someone already suggested going to www.funk45.com and listening to 45s. Also Larry's funky16corners site has sound clips.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    There are actually a lot of good 45s that you can get on eBay and set sale places on the internet for $10 and under.

• I live in Denmark and you just dont find decent 45s laying around. You just dont!

However if you have been buying lps for that long you should know whats worth picking up and then trade or sell it to get the 45s you want.

Dress

• 1- Buy a portable record player

2- Buy a ticket to a US city

3- Fly out, spend time at record store cheap bins, fleas and thrifts. Make connections

4- Fly Home

5- Repeat

Research information online and through connections. Make lists. Eventually do trades.

If you choose not to do the above, you'll just have to fork out the cash in online auctions/set sales or in local stores.

Good luck

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i got into collecting 45s due to Nathan (Om) and Eothen (Egon)... these two bitches would pull out ridiculous records while i was searching for LPs and 12s. bastards...

anyway, i recommend the listening thing that Joel wrote about. larrys funky16corners blog spot is dope and funk45.com has a TON of soundclips... however a lot of those are harder to get. ebay works, gemm, and other record store sites are spots you can get decent deals on cheap 45s. you can also get up with a dealer and give him some information of tunes you like so they can give you some titles you may dig... oh wait...

IM A RECORD DEALER!! i have thousands of cheapy 45s that i can hit you off with. send me a PM and ill give you some ideas of tunes you need in your life...

• i got into collecting 45s due to Nathan (Om) and Eothen (Egon)... these two bitches would pull out ridiculous records while i was searching for LPs and 12s. bastards...

anyway, i recommend the listening thing that Joel wrote about. larrys funky16corners blog spot is dope and funk45.com has a TON of soundclips... however a lot of those are harder to get. ebay works, gemm, and other record store sites are spots you can get decent deals on cheap 45s. you can also get up with a dealer and give him some information of tunes you like so they can give you some titles you may dig... oh wait...

IM A RECORD DEALER!! i have thousands of cheapy 45s that i can hit you off with. send me a PM and ill give you some ideas of tunes you need in your life...

does this sound like "seller or shameless self promo" ? iam not sure about it...

btw: its possible to dig funk 45s in germany, but you gotta work hard and have dusty fingers at the end of the day without finding anything but a james last calypso. which finally will make you learn what youre looking for. and then - one day - you'll find. sounds like a fairy tale, but i guess thats what diggin is/means/is supposed to be/whatever.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The problem is this guy lives in Germany. Now I've never been diggin there but if its anything like the UK then you won't find funk 45's in thrift shops. You may get lucky once in a while and find some soul, but i've never seen a funk 45 outside a proper record shop.

Sooo true, and if you find a , let's say "Tighten up" on 45, it will almost never be the original, but a europressing...shit is lame over here...trying to find rare German stuff on 45 is of course possible though. But US? I mean, i don't want to get into this again, but diggin for US Funk in Germany sucks and

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

does this sound like "seller or shameless self promo" ? iam not sure about it...

dude... i am merely trying to help this young man find good soul and funk 45s at a low cost. i never self-promote...

• iam still looking for that "wollsiegel" promo 7inch. anyone? its just pure sickness...

• does this sound like "seller or shameless self promo" ? iam not sure about it...

btw: its possible to dig funk 45s in germany, but you gotta work hard and have dusty fingers at the end of the day without finding anything but a james last calypso. which finally will make you learn what youre looking for. and then - one day - you'll find. sounds like a fairy tale, but i guess thats what diggin is/means/is supposed to be/whatever.

The trick in Germany is to know your artists -

there??s a ton of cool stuff out there with no LP release

but as far as MrSucker is not aware of those they stay secret.

Seb

• my local stores sell 45's at 4 for a buck... not bad but they do take a lot longer to go through then lp's but like someone said its part of the fun.

just a general question, but what are some 45 storage options? i have a few of those mini crates that are perfect for 45's but they seem to have stopped producing those it seems.

low budget preferred.
    -rich

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    just a general question, but what are some 45 storage options? i have a few of those mini crates that are perfect for 45's but they seem to have stopped producing those it seems.
    OfficeMax has some plastic crates that fit 45's perfectly... a bit longer than the mini-crate square joints. i can check the "brand name" if you'd like...page me.

• i dont know why but ive been checking spots like bed bath & beyond and target... totally forgot office supplies stores!

good call thanks.

-rich

• The best way to get into 45's would be to approach it exactly the same way you got into lp's all those years ago, do some research mang.

• Big Lots used to sell white plastic crates that were the perfect size for 45s. I use the Bags Unlimited cardboard boxes for mine.

• Another thing you could do is look for extra copies of LP's that might be semi-common in Germany but in demand in the US and the UK and start trading.

• Go to www.ebreggae.com and start your reggae 7" collection...

Peace,
    Cortez

• Start with the cheap stuff and learn...[/b]

cosign on that!